banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
jj

Default 2001 Massey Char-b-que Video

Char was gracious enough to host a poolside gathering back in 2001
she & others took bits of handheld VHS footage from various events
May 2001
OPEN WITH YOUTUBE ICON IN BOTTOM RIGHT CORNER OF VIDEO:

Last edited by jj; 05-31-2008 at 10:44 AM.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:06 PM   #2
lighthead2toe

Default Re: 2001 Massey Char-b-que Video

Very enjoyable seeing this JJ. I missed out on that gig by not being on line in those days. It was my loss for sure. Now there is another segment of that gig that Char put together for me on a video cassette where your keyboard skills surface and hopefully it will come to fruition as this unfolding video process continues. I hear "That Same old Obsession" in the distance. RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
charlene

well that prompted a bit o' weeping..
for so many reasons..good and bad..

jj did a superb job of editing it all together into the "Friends of Lightfoot" video..memories are made of these moments..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:57 PM   #4
lighthead2toe

See, it's happened. Aladdin just rubbed his magic lamp and whooossshhh. It's here. That's the magic of JJ. This is my happy day. Couldn't get any better than this bye'.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:04 PM   #5
lighthead2toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
well that prompted a bit o' weeping..
for so many reasons..good and bad..

jj did a superb job of editing it all together into the "Friends of Lightfoot" video..memories are made of these moments..
You and I my dear sweet friend are from the same bolt of cloth. RJ.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
Jesse Joe

Priceless jj ! Thank you for posting these wonderful videos.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:28 PM   #7
charlene

omigosh - another bit o'weeping..just as I did when they sang Beautiful here at home and at the Delta..lol
yep - it's that Same Old Obsession...and always will be...

next time you're here James you're gonna play that on my piano while I record it..
Old 05-30-2008, 03:54 PM   #8
jj

your welcome, jjo...actually, that's a good segue:

fan smiles = free
blank VHS tapes = $10+
Massey tix = $50+
CharBBQ eats, drinks = $200+
fan travel from near and abroad = $10 to $1000+
Massey memories = priceless

once again the Ron/Char comments are over the top...but toying with new edit tools at that time was quite fun (rather than totally aggrivating) only because I was enjoying the fan faces and talents replaying over and over via video monitors

as for the ivories, I had just discovered that Wayne's site also had lyrics and chords so I printed out a few and began noodling away then realized it might be fun to make a quick audio cameo during the wind down and figured the tune was fitting

char, ya can bet next time we 'jam', the Heintzman work will be a wee bit smoother!

I love all sorts of parts of this but the first dissolve to Lis's smile IS priceless as she and Bru take on Orillia...and the fun that Derek and Matt exemplified during Summertime Dream is infectious, plus stellar Ed, not to mention Cathy's wonderful renditions (FYI, pick up her CD from Val's site link) ...I have a long list but will spare all

should any 'faces' object to the video being posted I'll yank it so dig it while ya can
cheers
J

ps)
Ron, who's keen ear picked up the noodling attempt, played me a wonderful SOO version when we hooked up last year and we got to hear another moving version again at McVeighs, just great stuff
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:15 PM   #9
RM

Quote:
jj did a superb job of editing it all together
Indeed.

Charlene : Do you happen to recall the exchange between you and Lightfoot that elicited your smile ?

jj : Modesty is only admirable to a certain point. It's okay to 'show off' every once in a while. Your rendition of SOO really points to the beauty of the music.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:21 PM   #10
charlene

I told him that I called Massey Hall The Church of Gord and that he should buy it and change the sign outside..he laffed and said he couldn't afford the place..
lol
or it could have been when I told him that I had invited everyone to my place in Whitby for the Char-b-que and he asked if I was crazy..
lol
a few moments later I laid a kiss on his cheek...I think Sir John caught that on video...I not only surprised Gord but myself! ACK!!!!!!!!

It's great to hear Cathy's sweet voice again..and her amazing guitar playing..wish we had scratch and sniff computers so I could smell that mahogany..

Lisa has a great smile..
Old 05-30-2008, 09:03 PM   #11
brink-

JJ, are the second and third ones in fact gone? Or is it just my computer? Part 1 was wonderful.... wish I had been there.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:18 PM   #12
charlene

they're still there..
Old 05-31-2008, 12:09 AM   #13
lighthead2toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
your welcome, jjo...actually, that's a good segue:

fan smiles = free
blank VHS tapes = $10+
Massey tix = $50+
CharBBQ eats, drinks = $200+
fan travel from near and abroad = $10 to $1000+
Massey memories = priceless

once again the Ron/Char comments are over the top...but toying with new edit tools at that time was quite fun (rather than totally aggrivating) only because I was enjoying the fan faces and talents replaying over and over via video monitors

as for the ivories, I had just discovered that Wayne's site also had lyrics and chords so I printed out a few and began noodling away then realized it might be fun to make a quick audio cameo during the wind down and figured the tune was fitting

char, ya can bet next time we 'jam', the Heintzman work will be a wee bit smoother!

I love all sorts of parts of this but the first dissolve to Lis's smile IS priceless as she and Bru take on Orillia...and the fun that Derek and Matt exemplified during Summertime Dream is infectious, plus stellar Ed, not to mention Cathy's wonderful renditions (FYI, pick up her CD from Val's site link) ...I have a long list but will spare all

should any 'faces' object to the video being posted I'll yank it so dig it while ya can
cheers
J

ps)
Ron, who's keen ear picked up the noodling attempt, played me a wonderful SOO version when we hooked up last year and we got to hear another moving version again at McVeighs, just great stuff
Hey JJ. I think we may have reached the stage where the Joneses are sorting out just who the real keep uppers are. But doesn't it provide for some cool entertainment? I'm so tired of saying "I'm living in the happily ever after stage" I don't even think I'm aware that I've already arrived there. But look, my ever humbling friend; the point RM made; take note. (thanks Ron) Get out there and strut yer stuff Jonesy! <Don't hide what you know can't stay hidden.> You heard the expression: "he's a man's man" or "she's a woman's woman" well, you are a Joneses' Jones. Share that talent my friend. It's "That Same Old Obsession."
Old 05-31-2008, 06:14 AM   #14
Jesse Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brink- View Post
JJ, are the second and third ones in fact gone? Or is it just my computer? Part 1 was wonderful.... wish I had been there.

Hi brink, just to tell you that the second and third video are working here good.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:21 AM   #15
Jesse Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthead2toe View Post
Hey JJ. I think we may have reached the stage where the Joneses are sorting out just who the real keep uppers are. But doesn't it provide for some cool entertainment? I'm so tired of saying "I'm living in the happily ever after stage" I don't even think I'm aware that I've already arrived there. But look, my ever humbling friend; the point RM made; take note. (thanks Ron) Get out there and strut yer stuff Jonesy! <Don't hide what you know can't stay hidden.> You heard the expression: "he's a man's man" or "she's a woman's woman" well, you are a Joneses' Jones. Share that talent my friend. It's "That Same Old Obsession."

Well said lighthead2toe, I like that screen name Ron, really cool.

And you seemed to be a most friendly man as well... A good Lighthead for sure, really is great to have folks like you all on this board.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:58 AM   #16
Jesse Joe

Do you play that piano Charlene ? And I think it's fair to say that you have a good friend in Gordon Lightfoot. Seeing the 2 of you together makes me smile. Those Char B Q's look pretty popular, I was very please to see and hear Cathy Cowett, and her Mahogany Martin Guitar. ( Best smelling wood !!! lol ) She is good and has a pure voice.

Many others I do not know but being Lightfoot fans they are all wonderful. Just one thing I caught on the first video, was it you that downed that drink at around 3:04 minutes into the video ? (lol) Bottoms up!!!
Old 05-31-2008, 09:52 AM   #17
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post

... not to mention Cathy's wonderful renditions (FYI, pick up her CD from Val's site link) ...
For anybody who hasn't been there, here's the link:

cathycowette.com

There are clips on the "Music" page. Note that the CD was recorded by Bob Doidge, who records Lightfoot, and who played all the parts that Cathy didn't play ...
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:21 AM   #18
charlene

I think that was Ed's wife Sharman (the other "char" in his life) - during the Charbeque I was so overwhelmed with all these folks in my home I don't remember if I ate or drank anything! lol
50+ 'strangers' to meet all at once was quite something! Looking back at the video and pictures really brings back the memories of so many amazing people and the friends they've become to me.
It's a special sort of people who are Lightfoot fans fer sure.

The piano was bought when my son was 7 (1991) and started taking Royal Conservatory piano lessons. He took them for about 9 years and then took up guitar. He also plays trumpet and drums and sings..and does a really nasty little Lightfoot impression..rotten kid!

The piano is a Toronto made Heintzman and is about 100 years old..James said it was in tune a couple of months ago when he was here and to me it sounded great.
As Ron says - he is much much too modest about his talents - he plays guitar and keyboards as well and sings too..his video editing skills gave us the Friends of Lightfoot video and it is superb.
I was gobsmacked when he got up on stage at the pub..I really thought he'd only play guitar but then he started singing! It really was fabulous.. I certainly hope Sir John got it on video..
Hey John - didja??
Old 05-31-2008, 01:50 PM   #19
brink-

Well for crying out loud, now the other parts worked. Yesterday it said , no longer available. Fabulous Jimmy, you are so talented. How nice of you to share with all of us, certainly looked like a great time. I vote that we do it again in November of 09. Get ready Char!!! Of course it will be cold so we all would have to stay in the house, no pool time, but Char can make a buffet for us!!
Thanks Jimmy.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:08 PM   #20
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by brink- View Post
Well for crying out loud, now the other parts worked. Yesterday it said , no longer available. Fabulous Jimmy, you are so talented. How nice of you to share with all of us, certainly looked like a great time. I vote that we do it again in November of 09. Get ready Char!!! Of course it will be cold so we all would have to stay in the house, no pool time, but Char can make a buffet for us!!
Thanks Jimmy.
Well as long as we're inviting ouselves I guess it's ON ! Any hotels nearby or will this be a massive rendition of On Susan's Foor ?

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:19 PM   #21
lighthead2toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joe View Post
Well said lighthead2toe, I like that screen name Ron, really cool.

And you seemed to be a most friendly man as well... A good Lighthead for sure, really is great to have folks like you all on this board.
Jesse Joe. You and I need to get together sometime and play a song or two as I've had the pleasure of doing with the ever unfolding number of the superbly talented folks in this group. After all, it's not every day one has the opportunity to get to hang out, sit and play tunes for hours with guys who were trained by Red Shea. I'm really the "small potato" here among giants. I've discovered that it's a large part of the motivation factor in how Gord's music seems to sustain the "will" to keep it going. These gatherings as you can see from the strong sentiment that comes through in what the folks write seems to plant some sort of a creative seed that takes it's root in there pretty deep. Every time I pick up my guitar and play it in the silence of my room, my thoughts are on the 2009 gig. It should be something to get ready for and as Gord says: "If We're Still Standing." "It's Worth Believin." Ron J.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:34 PM   #22
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLW View Post
Well as long as we're inviting ouselves I guess it's ON ! Any hotels nearby or will this be a massive rendition of On Susan's Foor ?

Bill
You can all stay here - I'll be at The Marriott or Delta..
lol
LOTS of floor space and sofas/sofabeds/recliner chairs too..a few hotels about 10 minutes away..holiday inn suites is a new one..
Old 06-01-2008, 08:36 AM   #23
Jesse Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthead2toe View Post
Jesse Joe. You and I need to get together sometime and play a song or two as I've had the pleasure of doing with the ever unfolding number of the superbly talented folks in this group. After all, it's not every day one has the opportunity to get to hang out, sit and play tunes for hours with guys who were trained by Red Shea. I'm really the "small potato" here among giants. I've discovered that it's a large part of the motivation factor in how Gord's music seems to sustain the "will" to keep it going. These gatherings as you can see from the strong sentiment that comes through in what the folks write seems to plant some sort of a creative seed that takes it's root in there pretty deep. Every time I pick up my guitar and play it in the silence of my room, my thoughts are on the 2009 gig. It should be something to get ready for and as Gord says: "If We're Still Standing." "It's Worth Believin." Ron J.

Hey Ron we will try to make a deal of it ? But like you and Gord say "If We're Still Standing." then it will be "Worth Believin."

What do you say we call ourselves "The Two Timers."

That's how Gord & Terry Whelan were once introduced instead of "The Two Tones." Sir J. Fowles can back me up on this...

These days I like listening to rare 60's GL songs that are out there, I could name you a couple of dozens which Im sure you have, but two that comes to mind are, "Anything My Woman Does," and of course "Echoes Of Heroes," aso...
Old 06-01-2008, 10:09 AM   #24
SilverHeels

JJ - I was encouraged to check in here today and am I glad I did! Thank you so much for all those fantastic memories! What a joy to relive that unbelievable and unrepeatable time in 2001.
I'm a bit misty right now - for lots of reasons.
Thanks again for 'the good times'.
Hugs
Bru
Old 06-01-2008, 12:06 PM   #25
brink-

Quote:
You can all stay here - I'll be at The Marriott or Delta..
lol
LOTS of floor space and sofas/sofabeds/recliner chairs too..a few hotels about 10 minutes away..holiday inn suites is a new one..
Sounds like a plan! Char-be-que 09 coming up. Will be nice to meet you and your family BillW. Char has a lovely sitting room that we can chat in. (Char wouldn't leave - she wouldn't want to miss anything)