banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 10-07-2002, 06:16 AM   #1
Auburn Annie

Though you guys would appreciate this letter from Ed Mullen on Gord's appeal beyond the border:

Canada's troubadour loved near and far

Oct. 3, 2002

I read the two recent articles about Gordon Lightfoot fans here in the U.S. Given the concern all of his fans have for him during his current health problems, it put a smile on my face to read those articles.
But, it also struck me that, while I know he is justifiably revered in Canada, perhaps most Canadians don't really understand just how treasured he is all around the world by so many fans. Toward that end I'll pass on a few notes of possible interest to your readers.

There is an Internet newsgroup (alt.music.lightfoot) and other Web sites where fans from all over the world regularly gather to discuss our mutual admiration for his music. In May 2001, about 100 of us from around the world met in Toronto for The Second Annual Gordon Lightfoot Internet Convention. There were people from Canada, the U.S., England, Ireland, Germany, and Australia, just to name a few places. We attended Gord's three performances at Massey Hall, did some sightseeing, and held some fabulous jam sessions. The group, ever-expanding, has another convention scheduled for this November.

Last March, several of us musicians from those jam sessions joined forces at The Caffe Lena in Saratoga Springs, NY, (http://www.caffelena.com/) as "The Gordon Lightfoot Tribute Band" and performed a two-hour concert devoted exclusively to Lightfoot's music. We sold out the show and a grand time was had. In December, 1995 and June, 1997 two "Internet Tribute" CDs were released of cover performances of Lightfoot's songs by fans from around the world.

In addition, you and your readers might want to check out these sites on the Internet as two of the most authoritative web references for Canada's master troubadour. The first one is hosted by a wonderful lady here in the States. The second one is by a loyal fan and founder of the newsgroup who lives in Prince Edward Island and produced the Lightfoot Tribute CDs. They are http://gordonlightfoot.com and http://www.lightfoot.ca/

So, yes, I understand what Gordon Lightfoot means to Canada. My Canadian wife of 29 years didn't even have to teach me that. But I hope it is gratifying to all of our friends north of the border to know just how much your icon means to the rest of us, and that this note helps let you know that. Get well, Gord!

Ed Mullen,
http://edmullen.net

Alpharetta, GA

Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 07:03 PM   #2
mytoyota@earthlink.net

Nice letter Ed, sniff, sniff . . . it spoke volumes.
Kim
mytoyota@earthlink.net is offline   Reply With Quote