banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2008, 07:44 PM   #26
brink-

Default Re: Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia View Post
RJ already did a fabulous review of the Tampa show and I can only whole heartily agree. It was a great evening, Gordon and the guys were obviously in great spirits and had fun.
The new songs brought some much needed fresh air into the show and the audience were very appreciative.
I really think that Gordon quite often underestimates his fans. Obviously most people want to hear the 'big' hits but are sure very open to other, less known, tunes.
"I'll Tag Along" and "Ring Them Bells" were clearly a very special treat and I only wished there would be a way to stop the time running by so fast. It was over way too soon...But in a few weeks I'm going to see them again here in Minnesota and after that: Massey Hall for the Friday & Saturday show!!!

My first time to see Gordon and the guys at Massey and I can't play it cool...I'm truly very excited and am looking very much forward to it.

I need to read the board more often, I didn't know I missed meeting you too.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:46 PM   #27
brink-

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
imagine my heart thumping!.. Maybe he'll do it at Massey - he KNOWS I'll be there every night for sure!!

http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=18158

After the show last night we (Lori and Donnie) took a picture up to have Gord sign it for you Char. He looked puzzled and then said "Char's not here?" "But I sang that song for her, I'll Tag Along, she reuested it. Char's not here?"
Gord came out the beginning of the second set and played I'll Tag Along -- SOLO, for you Char, he didn't know that you didn't make it.
I do know how to spell REQUESTED....
Old 02-25-2008, 08:10 PM   #28
charlene

I know you do Deb!
lol
you had jet lag and car fatigue and concert mania all at the same time..as well as heat exhaustion..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:33 PM   #29
Claudia

Send a message via MSN to Claudia

Quote:
Originally Posted by brink- View Post
I need to read the board more often, I didn't know I missed meeting you too.
Hi Brink,

I'm sorry too....next time for sure, o.k.? I also wanted to meet DSR and somehow it didn't work out. I flew in that day and having left MN in an arctic cold, I was eager to go to the beach first...You certainly know what I mean..
So we arrived at the theater just in time to get one quick drink and then took our seats.
Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:43 PM   #30
Jesse Joe

Thanks for sharing RJ and all who contributed to this thread. So that's where you were last week Sir J. Fowles.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:55 PM   #31
brink-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia View Post
Hi Brink,

I'm sorry too....next time for sure, o.k.? I also wanted to meet DSR and somehow it didn't work out. I flew in that day and having left MN in an arctic cold, I was eager to go to the beach first...You certainly know what I mean..
So we arrived at the theater just in time to get one quick drink and then took our seats.
I left home at -18 degrees and arrived in Orlando to a toasty 78. It was "warm" all weekend. Maybe next time!
Old 02-26-2008, 07:13 AM   #32
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Guys & Gals,

Just a suggestion that's worked well for some of us. Before you leave on your trip, drive, walk to the venue, whatever travel mode you use - post your seat numbers. That way anyone who REALLY wants to see you can look you up.

My wife thought I was nutz the first time I did it (you know internet stalkers and the like, LOL) but it's always worked out quite well. It also helps separate the wheat from the chaff... If someone has your seat numbers and can't find you well I'd say they really didn't think it was worth the effort. And we've met some very nice folks that way.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:11 AM   #33
RJ

Oh.. one more humorous little anecdote from the Tampa show for what it's worth..
right at the end (the false ending pause) of Ribbon of Darkness, before they launch into Sundown..
Lightfoot sings, "Come on home and take away..
this ribbon of darkness.." ... long pause etc..
and the guy two seats to the left of me..
sings very loudly (right on key fortunately).. OVER ME!!!
and the whole place cracks up, the band, and Gord too!..
It could have been embarrassing, but was actually a good laugh well-shared..
so that then when they did launch into the familiar E5 chord for Sundown about 3 seconds later than usual, Rick joins with the bass line etc..
the whole place sort of, joyfully erupted..
It was a fun moment..
RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:21 AM   #34
Jesse Joe

Very good to hear this RJ, I can almost picture that. Gord & the boys seem to be having lots of fun.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:06 AM   #35
Melissa

Can't remember the last time I posted here, so I hope I'm doing this right!
The Florida shows were really fun, and I'm so glad I decided to join my friends for the great adventure. The Tampa show was so full of energy. I don't remember the last time I saw Gord and the band so enthusiastic. Lots of fun moments, many of which have already been written about here. I, for one, had never seen Gord do a solo number in any of the concerts I've attended, and I've attended quite a few. So the solo "I'll Tag Along" to open the second set was incredibly special to me. Not only is the song one of my favorites, but Gord did an absolutely superb job of it - complete with some almost flawless fingerpicking that certainly set the record straight about his ability to still be able to do that. Not only have I loved Gord's music for more years than I care to admit, but I've always been fascinated watching his fingers make the strings on that D-18 sound so beautiful. I've spent years trying to copy him and, sadly, continue to fall short of that smooth, rhythmic pattern that he mastered long ago.

It was also great to hear some seldom-heard songs brought out of the vault. I'd read that "Pony Man" and "If Children Had Wings" had been brought into the mix this year, and was thrilled at the thought of hearing those in Florida. While "Pony Man" was left out of the two shows I attended, "Children" was included in both of them, and was absolutely beautiful. It's not an easy song to sing, with the first 2 lines of the chorus reaching up high and requiring some vocal strength in the way the notes move up and down the scale in an almost classically operatic way. Gord did an awesome job singing it. What a treat to hear that one. As I think about it, I don't believe I've ever heard that one in concert.

Another wonderful treat in Tampa was one I don't believe anyone here has mentioned. (If I'm mistaken about that, please forgive me!) We've grown accustomed to the usual encores, ODR, CRT, EMR, Blackberry. But on this night, when Gord and the guys returned to the stage after thunderous applause, Gord picked up the D-18 and did "Song For a Winter's Night" to my total surprise and sheer delight! That one has always been on my Top 10 list and I haven't heard Gord do it in quite a while. It was beautiful, and Gord's voice accompanied by those soft bells behind him was breathtaking.

Thanks for enduring a long ramble from a rare poster! It's fun to read all the things you guys have posted as this tour has gotten underway. I'm so thrilled that Gord has continued with his "Ever Onward" philosophy and is still out there giving us his wonderful music. As I write this, I realize that the first concert of his I ever attended was 30 years ago tonight. Wow.

Thank you, Gord, for all the wonderful memories - and all the music still to come.

Ever onward!

Melissa in Austin, TX
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:10 AM   #36
mnmouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
Thanks for enduring a long ramble from a rare poster!
Melissa in Austin, TX
What a beautiful recollection of your experience in Tampa, Melissa, thank you so much for spending some time with us and sharing those thoughts. It is so good to hear how well Gord is doing and know he is still enjoying himself out there. The solo sounds awesome, as does an encore of Song For a Winter's Night...what a special treat for you to be there for a few of those rare moments!

Thanks again!
Sharron
Old 02-27-2008, 10:29 AM   #37
Jesse Joe

I agree totaly with Sharon. (Mouse) You should post more often Melissa.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:28 PM   #38
Jesse Joe

Default Re: Char's Not Here????

Old 02-27-2008, 10:46 PM   #39
Dream Street Rose

Thank you Jesse Joe,

Listening to this and the others brought back wonderful memories of the past month.

DSR
Old 02-29-2008, 01:00 PM   #40
charlene

I have some other T-shirts - none that are Lightfoot or Music oriented tho..I"ll have to go thru them and see what I have..not that any will fit tho...
Old 03-06-2008, 06:51 PM   #41
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

OK I had meant to post some comments on our Florida journey and setlists before this but better late than never eh??
In fact I tried hard to save each of the 4 concert's setlists , initially using my one:bun... two:shoe... three:tree memory aiding method
but I soon realised that having to think up new associations every night was leading to some mighty confusion.
Fortunately others have provided Wayne Francis with setlists for the Orlando

and Fort Pierce concerts
However I can recall most of the memory clues I used at Gainesville and Tampa starting with not a round bun but a triangular one hence song 1=Triangle
so here is the setlist for:-
Gainesville 19 february 2008
  1. Triangle
  2. Cotton Jenny
  3. 14 Carat Gold
  4. Never Too Close
  5. In My Fashion
  6. A Painter Pasing Through
  7. Rainy Day People
  8. Shadows
  9. Beautiful
  10. Carefree Highway
  11. Hangdog Hotel Room
  12. /13 medley Ribbon Of Darkness/Sundown
  13. The Watchman's Gone
    intermission
  14. If Children Had Wings
  15. The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald
  16. Alberta Bound
  17. Don Quixote
  18. ???? I am still working in this one!!!!!
  19. Clouds Of Loneliness
  20. Waiting For You
  21. Minstrel Of The Dawn
  22. If You Could Read My Mind
  23. Baby Step Back
  24. My Little Love
  25. Canadian Railroad Trilogy
  26. Old Dan's Records
And Tampa 21 February 2008 was more or less:-
  1. Triangle
  2. Cotton Jenny
  3. 14 Carat Gold
  4. Never Too Close
  5. In My Fashion
  6. If Children Had Wings
  7. A Painter Passing Through
  8. Rainy Day People
  9. Shadows
  10. Beautiful
  11. Carefree Highway
  12. Hangdog Hotel Room
  13. /14 Medley Ribbon Of Darkness/Sundown
    Intermission
  14. I'll Tag Along
  15. The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald
  16. Alberta Bound
  17. Don Quixote
  18. ?(possibly) Early Morning Rain
  19. Clouds Of Loneliness
  20. Waiting For You
  21. Ring Them Bells
  22. If You Could Read My Mind
  23. Baby Step Back
  24. My Little Love
  25. Canadian Railroad Trilogy
  26. Song For A Winter's Night
  27. Old Dan's Records
OK we had a grand tour of the Sunshine State. it was hard to realise as we walked on beaches at over 80 F that it would still be around the freezing point not so very far north!
our constant companions were the Australian John Williamson and a lady in a box (a GPS Navigator) who soon was nicknamed "Bitch" because of her constant uttering of "u-turn" whenever we decided to take the scenic routes!! Actually she only made a pair of glaring errors:-
Approaching the Tampa Theatre area from Orlando on I4 I could plainly see (on an old fashioned thing called
a "map") that the quickest way was surely to take exit 44 on I275, but no we sailed by until we heard the inevitable "u-turn" at exit 42!
To be fair there was some construcion work in the area that maybe she knew about
To her credit though she directed us to "you have reached your destination" right by an on street parking space within visual range of the wonderful old theatre

And her second error
She directed us into what was most likely the correct street name for the rental car return. Great but it was a cul-de-sac!!

I like that animated graphic that's all

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 03-07-2008 at 11:35 AM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:31 PM   #42
Dream Street Rose

Hello Sir John,

The sky graphic is truly wonderful. We also had a lady in a box with us and had about the same results. You have a good sense of humor. Thank you for the laugh. We enjoyed meeting you and your family.

DSR
Old 03-06-2008, 08:39 PM   #43
Jesse Joe

This is very cool Sir !

Old 03-07-2008, 11:52 AM   #44
podunklander

Thank you Melissa and John
Old 03-07-2008, 12:03 PM   #45
Rainbow Trout

Love those pics! Glad you had such a good time.
Rainbow Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:46 AM   #46
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

I have been thinking a lot as we prepare for another year's touring (to hopefully culminate inToronto again in November)
about our exciting mini-tour of Florida almost exactly one year ago to catch four of the five FL concerts, and meet in Tampa one of my oldest UK friends Alan Thacker who I met in my Foster's School,Sherborne Boarding House back in 1953 and who now owns a condo in Bradenton just to the South of Tampa, and who I made a GL fan many years ago
I was most pleased to get him the chance to meet Gord after the show

This morning I just hapenned to do one of my regular GL image searches and found this great photo now on the http://www.orlandofloridaguide.com website

Gordon Lightfoot performing at The Bob Carr Perfoming Arts Center in Downtown Orlando on Feb. 20, 2008.
Photo by Steven Ridenour - Orlando Florida Guide - All Rights Reserved.

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:04 PM   #47
Nightingale

Wow! That's a great photo Sir John
It sounds like it was a great time for all of you. I am hoping to see him again this year at his Indiana dates.
I am really looking forward to it. Love the energy at his concerts and being in the same 'space' with him for awhile.
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 03:11 PM   #48
charlene

Default Re: Tampa-Char's Not Here????

memories..