banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2004, 10:39 AM   #1
Shelty

Harmony, of course is unique. But does it bear any substantial resemblence to any other classic Lightfoot album?

Old 05-10-2004, 11:03 AM   #2
TheWatchman

Not at all. It is unique and just as good as a CD can be.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 11:12 AM   #3
SomewhereupinMichigan

I have it ranked right up there with his classics of the 70s. Perhaps it most compares to....Don Quixote??? Both are very "folky" and play heavily on Canadian/northern clime themes and (lost) love. It is still not the Gord vocal quality of his early years, but it is a better quality than we've heard in many, many years. The writing is superb. There's not a bad cut on the whole album/CD. (Of course, "bad" in terms of Gord means weak, as opposed to not good. All of the tracks here are very solid and you find yourself wanting to go back and re-listen to all of them.)

[This message has been edited by SomewhereupinMichigan (edited May 10, 2004).]
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 03:38 PM   #4
violet Blue Horse

It is like nothing else. Somehow it reminds me of some of his earliest work, but I can't tell you why. There is a depth to the lyrics that I don't think were in the last couple CD's. I'm just sorry it had to come from pain and sorrow.

quote:Originally posted by Shelty:
Harmony, of course is unique. But does it bear any substantial resemblence to any other classic Lightfoot album?

Old 05-11-2004, 06:15 AM   #5
Borderstone

I'd say the Sundown LP but since I don't have Harmony at the time of this message,I can say this. (I hope this doesn't spoil the song for anyone) but "Inspiration Lady" kind of reminds me of "Carefree Highway".

When Gordon sings "she's my inspiration,everyday." It sounds similar to the line,"..from the good old faithful feelin' we once knew".

I listen to a lot of music and can't help but notice those things. When I here the whole CD I will or wont compare it to something. Aurevoir!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 06:27 AM   #6
TheWatchman

quote:Originally posted by violet Blue Horse:
It is like nothing else. Somehow it reminds me of some of his earliest work, but I can't tell you why. There is a depth to the lyrics that I don't think were in the last couple CD's. I'm just sorry it had to come from pain and sorrow.

I agree. Unfortunately, too many times a songwriters best work comes from going through bad times. But at least others can relate to it and possibly get some comfort from it.

Old 05-11-2004, 01:41 PM   #7
violet Blue Horse

Yeah, it's that female, protective instinct thing I got going. I try real hard to bury that, but every once in awhile it pops out and says stuff like that. I still wanna feed the man chocolate chip cookes and lasagna though!

quote:Originally posted by TheWatchman:
I agree. Unfortunately, too many times a songwriters best work comes from going through bad times. But at least others can relate to it and possibly get some comfort from it.

Old 05-11-2004, 01:56 PM   #8
TheWatchman

quote:Originally posted by violet Blue Horse:
Yeah, it's that female, protective instinct thing I got going. I try real hard to bury that, but every once in awhile it pops out and says stuff like that. I still wanna feed the man chocolate chip cookes and lasagna though!

He could certainly use some chocolate chips cookies and 4500 calorie lasagna. But what man couldn't?

Old 05-16-2004, 04:41 PM   #9
2Much2Lose

Of course, it's unique.

But it's more like East of Midnight than any other album, IMO. I refer to his use of mood throughout the album, the jazz influences and the use of backup vocals.

------------------
"And the laughter came too easy for life to pass me by."
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 12:30 PM   #10
DMD3

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Borderstone:
[B]I'd say the Sundown LP but since I don't have Harmony at the time of this message,I can say this. (I hope this doesn't spoil the song for anyone) but "Inspiration Lady" kind of reminds me of "Carefree Highway".

Don't worry, it didn't .
Old 05-17-2004, 02:25 PM   #11
GJA

Okay, I hope my CD is in the mail when I get home. I bought a new CD player this weekend because my other one bit the dust. I'm dying to hear Harmony!!!
GJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 02:28 PM   #12
SilverHeels

IMO 'Harmony' is unique (and just about the best Lightfoot album I have heard in years!)
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 10:26 PM   #13
Big Blue

Thematically, it reminds me just a little bit of IYCRMM and Shadows, because it's a lot about lost love and regret and maybe trying to win it back. Particularly, EOAT, reminds me of Shadows, 'I may ring your bell, is there anybody home...who can tell me where I am' & 'come and gaze upon the shadow at your door' & 'come to the door my pretty one' from Your Love's Return on IYCRMM.

But I'd have to echo the other responses here and say that it is very unique. His perspective seems to be almost hopeless compared to previous albums.

Although this is a gift from above, it probably would have been released anyway, if Gord had not pulled through. What I am really looking forward to is the stuff he's been writing since getting out of the hospital. He seems to have a very different perspective now.
Big Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 04:05 AM   #14
Borderstone

Now that I've had the CD for 11 1/2 days (I bought it at about 2pm on the 11th and now it's 2am today) I say it's most like Sundown but only because like that album,every track totally holds your intrest,same as Shadows does and Sit Down Young Stranger (IYCRMM). That's all!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 08:06 PM   #15
Revfred

I wasn't going to buy the CD - but because of all the hype, I did. And I'm glad I did! It really sounds to me like his older stuff, early 70's, Summer Side of Life and Sit Down Young Stranger, which were quieter and melodic. But then again, I dunno - it's just enjoyable to listen to....

Fred
Revfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 04:26 AM   #16
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

quote:Originally posted by Revfred:
I wasn't going to buy the CD - but because of all the hype, I did.
Fred

What were you thinking ?

Bill

BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 06:42 AM   #17
SilverHeels

Fred

Fred,
why on earth would you NOT want to but it?
Old 05-24-2004, 07:20 AM   #18
TheWatchman

Fred

There was no hype Rev. All it's revues are accurate and honest. Hype is negative and please do not use that word in the same sentence with Gordon Lightfoot.

Hype: 1. Deception or fraud 2. Extravagant or excessive promotion. 3. To deceive or con.

Harmony, hype, NEIN!

Old 05-24-2004, 07:40 AM   #19
Bill

The more I listen the better I like the album -- and I liked it from the start!

It echoes of "Dream Street Rose" to me.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 10:53 AM   #20
Revfred

quote:Originally posted by TheWatchman:
There was no hype Rev. All it's revues are accurate and honest. Hype is negative and please do not use that word in the same sentence with Gordon Lightfoot.

Hype: 1. Deception or fraud 2. Extravagant or excessive promotion. 3. To deceive or con.

Harmony, hype, NEIN!

Ok, OK Watch', "hype" was a poor choice of a word. I should've said " raving revues". The point is, I'm glad I picked it up! At the same time though, I also bought "Cold On The Shoulder, Salute, Sundown and Shadows." I'm still waiting to get my " Live In Reno" VHS, and also have ordered Don Quioxte and Dream Street Rose. I had all those on LP years ago(not the video of course). Anyway, I'm trying to build up my GL collection from past years now on CD, so I wasn't really thinking of getting Harmony just yet. I would've eventually, but because of the strong revues, I couldn't resist now!

Revfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 10:57 AM   #21
SilverHeels

maybe some strong 'reviews' would have encouraged you sooner ...

(ROFL ...I kill me sometimes... )
Old 05-24-2004, 12:33 PM   #22
TheWatchman

Ok, OK Watch', "hype" was a poor choice of a word. I should've said " raving revues". The point is, I'm glad I picked it up! At the same time though, I also bought "Cold On The Shoulder, Salute, Sundown and Shadows." I'm still waiting to get my " Live In Reno" VHS, and also have ordered Don Quioxte and Dream Street Rose. I had all those on LP years ago(not the video of course). Anyway, I'm trying to build up my GL collection from past years now on CD, so I wasn't really thinking of getting Harmony just yet. I would've eventually, but because of the strong revues, I couldn't resist now!

[/QUOTE]

Glad you like it!

Old 05-31-2004, 09:16 PM   #23
joestallion

"Harmony" is very similar to "East of Midnight", a very underrated album. There is old Gord, a jazzy-club feel of Gord, and there is new & reinvented Gord all on this album. And that is how I felt about "East of Midnight" more than any of his other albums.