banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 10-04-2006, 09:15 AM   #1
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

No doubt others will be posting this link to a fine review of the first Vancouver GL concert for what must seem a very long 7 years:-
and hopefully their own review (where are you Ron Jones?) but there is meanwhile this review:-
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/v...c-680888cdf980
I especially liked these two coments
"looking trim and fit and kind of regal, with his big shock of hair and big moustache.His features are so finely chiseled and so engrained in the national consciousness, it's like his face has sprung off a coin".
OK zoneranger or Jimmy Jones there is your cue!!
"His voice isn't as deep and rich as it once was, but the audience knows the songs so well, they fill in the notes he can no longer hit in their mind. The frailty he displays on occasion has its charm, as well, adding a different emotional touch to the songs"
Nice one by
John MacKie of the Vancouver Sun
John
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:19 AM   #2
Jesse Joe

Thanks for this John, I was kind a waiting, for some updates on the Sunday, and Tuesday night concerts. Looks likes he's started the leg of the Canadian tour in good form.

Thank's again Jean, mon amis.

[ October 04, 2006, 09:33: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:21 AM   #3
charlene

Geeze - they didn't have it posted on-line at 6:30 a.m.!
lol
yep - a true Canadian moment...LOVE it!

Glimpses of frailty add charm to Lightfoot performance
Canadian icon back in Vancouver for the first time in seven years

John MacKie, Vancouver Sun
Published: Wednesday, October 04, 2006
It was a good day for Canadian nationalists Tuesday. The historic Banff Springs Hotel and the Chateau Lake Louise are back in Canadian ownership, and Gordon Lightfoot was back onstage in Vancouver for the first time in seven years.

A lot has happened in that time. Lightfoot almost died in 2002 from an abdominal hemorrhage that left him in a coma for nearly two months. It took him awhile to get back to performing, but now, just shy of his 68th birthday, he's embarked on a 17-date national tour.

Lightfoot walked onstage at the Centre for the Performing Arts in a red and black shirt, black suspenders and black pants, looking trim and fit and kind of regal, with his big shock of hair and big moustache. His features are so finely chiseled and so engrained in the national consciousness, it's like his face has sprung off a coin.

He got straight to business with Cotton Jenny, followed by Carefree Highway. Then he set the tone for the night by hauling out lesser-known songs such as 14 Karat Gold and In My Fashion before coming back to familiar territory with Rainy Day People. It wasn't just a recital of the hits; it was a show that reached deep into the old saddlebag of songs, unearthing some gems that people might have missed over his 40-year career.

His voice isn't as deep and rich as it once was, but the audience knows the songs so well, they fill in the notes he can no longer hit in their mind. The frailty he displays on occasion has its charm, as well, adding a different emotional touch to the songs.

He was in quite a good mood, recalling how he came to Vancouver to chill after his first marriage broke up, and expressing surprise at how many new buildings there are downtown. He acknowledged Elvis Presley's contribution to Early Morning Rain, where the King made the key lyrical change of "cold and drunk as I can be" to "cold and drunk as I may be," which Lightfoot thinks is much better.

Highlights? A Painter Passing Through History was incredibly poignant, with its story of an old painter discussing his life. The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald, Don Quixote and Beautiful were elegantly rendered, but the best song was If You Could Read My Mind. You could hear almost all the 1,800 people in the theatre softly singing along; it was just about perfect, a true Canadian moment.

jmackie@png.canwest.com, 604-605-2126
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:31 PM   #4
hkusam

HI Folks,
It was a "sick" concert...really, the cat's meow!
Very good, though I wouldn't feel stressed about the "frail" adjective in the review. I thought Gord was both clear and strong with energy and great humour. The concert hall was fabulous with marvellous views everywhere. I went up to very back at intermission and had a wonderful view..though quite steeply downhill. I asked someone there what the sound was like and he said it was crystal.
I didn't get a set list. I'm sorry...I realized in the second song...."Carefree Highway" that I'd omitted paper and pen so I skeptically thought I'd try John's tactic....ok...song#s2 What rhymes with two and has something to do with Carefree Highway. I came up with "moo"...(as in cows on the road)....see what I mean, John, that's when I gave that up. Basically it was a similar set list to the one I'd heard in August and the was pretty much what others have said. Gord did more strumming than usual...worked his thumb mainly. During "Watchman's Gone" he did not play for half the song or more, but did the chords anyway...maybe that kept time for him or seemed very natural tohim to do, anyway. You'd not really know that he had a problem with his right hand unless you were totally familiar with Gord's finger picking.
Gotta say...Vancouver treated Gord right..and vice versa. Standing ovation, lots of crowd energy in a positive way. I'm sure he felt at home among friends. I loved the comment from someone when Gord had said his concert started in Prince George. "WHERE???"
The only downside to the concert was that I'd seen my brother in law the dentist earlier in the day. His motto is "this won't hurt a bit"...well I've got news for him. Still, Gord's music was balm for the lively nerve endings.
All in all.....a great show....and more to come!
hkusam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:42 PM   #5
charlene

I loved the comment from someone when Gord had said his concert started in Prince George. "WHERE???"

LOL

Ya gotta love those Vancouverites!
lol
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote