banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 11-19-2008, 07:37 PM   #1
Affair on Touhy Ave.

Default Bill Pursell Our Winter Love.

I'm not a winter lover though for anyone who is might enjoy this piece and extremly rare classic

Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:40 PM   #2
lighthead2toe

Default Re: Bill Pursell Our Winter Love.

Affair on Touchy Av, I'm overjoyed that you put this up. You have very good taste in music.

It comes as a surprise to me but on the other hand, now that I've had a moment to reflect, really I shouldn't be surprised at all. After all this site is one for fans who appreciate the works of great composers and Gordon Lightfoot is one of them there's no doubt about that in my mind and he'll go down in history as being up there among the best.

Canada has also born one "Johnny Cowell" in the beautiful southwestern town of Tillsonburg, Ontario.

Mr. Cowell is the composer of "Our Winter Love" and many others as well.

Johnny also wrote a song "Walk Hand In Hand" in 1956 which was recorded by Tony Martin. It became an international number one hit as well as "Our Winter Love."

His songs have been recorded by an impressive list of entertainers including Dame Vera Lynn, Harry Secombe, Andy Williams, Chet Atkins, Lawrence Welk, Anita Bryant, The Letterman, Gerry and the Pacemakers, 101 Strings, Nashville Strings, Moe Koffman, Teddy Roderman, Laurie Bower Singers as well as Bill Purcell and others too numerous to mention. He has written songs also for Floyd Cramer and trumpeter Al Hirt. His best known is Al Hirt's recording of "Strawberry Jam."

Johnny's composition of "His Girl" in 1967 for "The Guess Who" was the tune that brought them to international prominence.

He retired several years ago after being a long term member of "The Toronto Symphony Orchestra" as the principal trumpeter and I'm very honored to say that he is one of my very special friends.

Johnny is about the most humble person I've ever met, a true gentleman and he has a lovely family. I would also highly recommend his music to the folks who visit this site.

My favorite recording of his is: "Carnival of Venice."

He does things on the trumpet in that piece you would not believe possible.
I tell my friends when I put it on: "he defies gravity in this one."

I simply can't describe how so wonderful this makes me feel.

I know he'll be happy to see this and once again Touchy, I hope to meet you sometime maybe at one of our functions in Toronto.

Boy, life sure is great to me!

Cheers, Ron J.

These are also both Canadian artists.

This piece of wonderful music comes to us from the pen of a very fine and very humble gentleman who is Canadian born and I'm very honored to say that he is one of my very special friends
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:44 PM   #3
lighthead2toe

That last part should have ended up on "the cutting room floor" Sorry. RJ.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:39 AM   #4
Nightingale

I remember that beautiful piece of music So lovely and the video is a perfect set of images to go with the song.
Thanks for the info on the man behind the music. Very nice to know all of that.

I always find good stuff around this place Thanks, to both of you.
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:00 AM   #5
charlene

boy oh boy that's a bit of nostalgia!
so pretty...
from a couple of years ago;
http://blogs.insidetoronto.com/musicnotes/general/65/
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
jj

great stuff, Ron, a wonderful and well written tribute to your friend...and a wonderful blog, char...I read that the other night (I've been in a state of being able to browse but not post of late...for a minute I thought you had given me read only rights, lol)

Walk Hand In Hand is one that I always think Orbison would have done well, he could certainly give it that big finish, lol....my first days at Massey as a youngen were watching the TSO before Roy Thompson Hall came to be so I may have heard and seen Johnny firsthand...it's nice to hear they gave him a wonderful sendoff hope he keeps up with the fine writing
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:28 PM   #7
Jesse Joe

Great video & tune, brings you back to the past... the good old days !!!

Thanks; Affair on touhy Ave.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:34 PM   #8
lighthead2toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
great stuff, Ron, a wonderful and well written tribute to your friend...and a wonderful blog, char...I read that the other night (I've been in a state of being able to browse but not post of late...for a minute I thought you had given me read only rights, lol)

Walk Hand In Hand is one that I always think Orbison would have done well, he could certainly give it that big finish, lol....my first days at Massey as a youngen were watching the TSO before Roy Thompson Hall came to be so I may have heard and seen Johnny firsthand...it's nice to hear they gave him a wonderful sendoff hope he keeps up with the fine writing
Thanks JJ, and yes the Roy Orbison voice would no doubt work well for "Walk Hand in Hand" and I think Elvis would have done a nice job as well.

Massey Hall was the home of the Toronto Symphony before Roy Thompson Hall so yes you would have seen Johnny perform there in those days. The Bravo channel here in Vancouver was running some of those performances. Hope they put them on again.

Johnny had a wonderful sendoff at his final performance held in Roy Thompson Hall. It was one of the most joyful experiences I'd had at a concert. The hall was full and there were a host of well wishers on hand to greet Johnny and I was fortunate to receive an invite into the Maestro's Room at the end of the concert. There's a photo around somewhere so maybe we'll get Char to put it up.

Also thank you Char for putting up the blog. All this will be a nice Christmas present for Johnny.

Many thanks guys,
Ron J.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:52 PM   #9
charlene

Here's our Ron with Johnny Cowell at his retirement gala at Roy Thompson Hall in TOronto - 1991.
- composer of the songs in the you tube videos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JohnnyCowellRonJones-1991.JPG
Views:	723
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	2325  
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:47 PM   #10
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthead2toe View Post
The hall was full and there were a host of well wishers on hand to greet Johnny and I was fortunate to receive an invite into the Maestro's Room at the end of the concert. There's a photo around somewhere so maybe we'll get Char to put it up.
great looking guys...thanks for sharing! you're right, the photo alone say it all: good pals sharing a special moment captured at a very glorious event...cheers, jj
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:46 PM   #11
lighthead2toe

Thanks JJ.
Ah! the joy of having friends in high and low places. It's such an uplifting day here I think "I'll slip on down to the Oasis" and imbibe in a cool yule. RJ.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:34 PM   #12
lighthead2toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
Here's our Ron with Johnny Cowell at his retirement gala at Roy Thompson Hall in TOronto - 1991.
- composer of the songs in the you tube videos.
Sorry to announce that we recently lost Johnny Cowell (Jan 22/2018).

He left us with some wonderful music though and his legacy will live on through his accomplishments that's for sure.
I will miss my dear friend but always will be thankful that he and I crossed paths and stayed connected.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:07 PM   #14
Affair on Touhy Ave.

It's sad when anyone dies but I'm glad he lived to a grand old age.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote