banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2019, 09:34 PM   #1
charlene

Default The Complete Singles 1970-1980 2CD-March 2019 release

Gordon Lightfoot – The Complete Singles 1970-1980 2CD

BUY: https://shop.realgonemusic.com
BUY @ https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Sing...KJ51_RtcVqGlZ0

Gordon Lightfoot is a genre unto himself. Neither pop nor folk nor country nor rock, his music is unvarnished, direct, a statement from one heart to another (as Lightfoot has stated, “I like to keep things simple. I don’t like to make them complicated”). And this uncompromising stance has not only made him a legend (particularly in his native Canada, where he is a full-fledged icon), but also, somewhat paradoxically, brought him huge commercial success (which, ironically, has in turn caused some to discount his prodigious songwriting talent). For Gordon Lightfoot never set out to be a “popular” singer-songwriter.

When he signed with Warner Bros. and began working with producer Lenny Waronker, Lightfoot thought of himself as an album artist, and, indeed, the Lightfoot-Waronker songwriter-producer partnership (with a brief period with Joe Wissert as producer) yielded nine charting albums—and that’s not even counting the compilations—highlighted by a #1 slot for 1974’s Sundown. But, starting with 1970’s “If You Could Read My Mind,” Lightfoot also reeled off 13 Pop chart singles including 4 Top Tenners during the ‘70s, as well as a host of Adult Contemporary and Country chart appearances, which is again testimony to his ability to transcend musical styles. Now, Real Gone Music has for the first time ever compiled the A and B-sides of ALL the singles Lightfoot recorded with Waronker and Wissert for the Reprise and Warner Bros. labels, 34 sides in all featuring all the hits and hard-to-find B-sides.

Lightfoot collectors will find much to feast on here; the rare single version of “Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald” plus the CD debut of “Rainy Day People” are included, as well as six other songs that appear in their mono single versions on CD for the first time (many of the early ‘70s singles were issued in both mono and stereo, sometimes one format for promo and another for commercial, “stock” 45s; we have used the “stock” version in all cases and gone with the one for which we had the best sources in those cases where commercial 45s were released in both stereo and mono). And, for the more casual Lightfoot fan, this 2-CD set provides an ideal, in-depth overview of the artist’s “classic” period, peppered with one memorable tune after another. Remastered by Mike Milchner at SonicVision, with additional mastering and tape vetting by Aaron Kannowski, and annotated by folk rock guru Richie Unterberger, The Complete Singles 1970-1980 represents a key addition to Gordon Lightfoot canon and is just a wonderful listen from start to finish.

Disc 1:

1. Me And Bobby McGee

2. The Pony Man

3. If You Could Read My Mind

4. Poor Little Allison (45 Version)

5. Talking In Your Sleep

6. Nous Vivons Ensemble

7. Summer Side Of Life

8. Love & Maple Syrup

9. Beautiful

10. Don Quixote

11. That Same Old Obsession

12. You Are What I Am

13. Can't Depend On Love

14. It's Worth Believin'

15. Sundown

16. Too Late For Prayin'

17. Carefree Highway

18. Seven Island Suite

Disc 2:

1. Rainy Day People (45 version)

2. Cherokee Bend

3. The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald (45 version)

4. The House You Live In (45 Version)

5. Race Among The Ruins

6. Protocol

7. The Circle Is Small

8. Sweet Guinevere

9. Daylight Katy

10. Hangdog Hotel Room

11. Dreamland

12. Songs The Minstrel Sang

13. Dream Street Rose

14. Make Way For The Lady

15. If You Need Me

16. Mister Rock Of Ages

Audio CD: March 1, 2019
Label: Real Gone Music
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:19 AM   #2
paskatefan

Default Re: The Complete Singles 1970-1980 2CD-March 2019 release

Wow! This sounds like a really nice collection to consider getting (even if you have all these songs already)!

Gail
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:18 AM   #3
Andy T.

Send a message via AIM to Andy T.

Well, I think I will get this one.

I think I have nearly all of these on vinyl. However I guess I never got the truncated version of "Wreck" which I can only ever remember hearing once on the radio - and not on vinyl.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:33 PM   #4
Dave, Melbourne,Australia

"Lightfoot collectors will find much to feast on here; the rare single version of Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald plus the CD debut of Rainy Day People ..."

Well, Rainy Day People was on the Songbook CD back in 1999.
Dave, Melbourne,Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:54 AM   #5
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

[quote=Dave, Melbourne,Australia;191764 plus the CD debut of Rainy Day People ..."
Well, Rainy Day People was on the Songbook CD back in 1999.[/quote]

And the rest Dave that statement is utter piffle!!
it was not only first available on the Cold On The Shoulder album

but is deservedly on Gord's Gold

and of course on Complete Greatest Hits

static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0003/341/MI0003341814.jpg?
and the more recent All Live

to name but 4!! plus as you pointed out it is on one of the 4 box set CDs
so that makes this new CD at least the 6th time that it has been featured on a CD

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 01-15-2019 at 10:39 AM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:50 PM   #6
Borderstone

Wow! That's a nice list.

Andy , you 'think' you'll get it? I KNOW I will. Lol. :D

We all know Gordon really ended up working his
tail off at WB after 1970. a contracted album a year.

I wish he'd had more top 40 hits here in the states but hey, the Hot 100 isn't everything.

True , I have these songs too but , I'm not skipping this one.

P.S. - We still haven't seen that collection we thought of a while back Gordon Lightfoot : Love Songs.

Or even better ,
"Borderstone Presents : My 150 Gordon Lightfoot Favorites."

Last edited by Borderstone; 01-11-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:27 AM   #7
Martyn Miles

I’m interested, but perhaps can’t justify buying it as I have all the recordings!
But then again...

Last edited by Martyn Miles; 01-12-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Martyn Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:19 AM   #8
paskatefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderstone View Post
Wow! That's a nice list.

Andy , you 'think' you'll get it? I KNOW I will. Lol. :D

We all know Gordon really ended up working his
tail off at WB after 1970. a contracted album a year.

I wish he'd had more top 40 hits here in the states but hey, the Hot 100 isn't everything.

True , I have these songs too but , I'm not skipping this one.

Or even better ,
"Borderstone Presents : My 150 Gordon Lightfoot Favorites."

150 Favorites? - that sounds like a figure for the number of my personal favorites, too!

Gail
Old 01-16-2019, 10:39 PM   #9
Andy T.

Now, I'm not sure if the version of "Wreck" I recall vividly playing on the extended speakers in the former greenhouse-now-warehouse/workshop that I was kind of in charge of from 1989-93 at the environmental consulting firm I worked for, is going to be one on this collection. I only heard it once but it was rather awkward sounding - the way they chopped up the instrumental beats between verses to shorten the song - for someone who, even then, knew the song proper... it bothered me. At the time, before internet, I knew nothing of alternate single versions. Now in recent years I've read about how Gord had to "phone-in" his edits to the song for the 45RPM edit, while on canoe trippin', but Wayne's description of the single edit does not match what I remember hearing that one time on the radio. I own I think one or two 45s of Wreck and neither of them are what I heard that time. Maybe what I heard that one time was some local custom edit and not something officially issued. I'm going to buy this though, it's in my shopping cart - once I add some other items over the next months I'll push the checkout button.

Last edited by Andy T.; 01-17-2019 at 07:33 AM.
Andy T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:51 AM   #10
imported_Next_Saturday

From SonicVision's FB page:
We just announced another of our March 1 releases, and it's a doozy: @Gordon Lightfoot: The Complete Singles 1970-1980! 36 tracks including hard-to-find mono single versions and B-sides. Notes by Richie Unterberger, design by John Sellards, remastering by Mike Milchner with help from Aaron Kannowski. Fantastic overview of Lightfoot's prime period!
http://bit.ly/2FawtA0

https://www.facebook.com/realgonemus...type=3&theater

Last edited by imported_Next_Saturday; 01-17-2019 at 09:53 AM.
imported_Next_Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:52 AM   #11
Andy T.

Reading that last linked description, I think I should mentions that they still continued to release stereo/mono radio station 45s beyond 1980 - I have (or had, not sure which box my stack of GL 45s current resides in) at least one from later than that.

Still, looking at the track list I spot "Love and Maple Syrup" and that's one of my all time favorite GL tunes, so how could I not buy this! Hah.

Now, the question is - are they using the 45 Masters on album cuts like the aforementioned track, or just porting over the same-old stuff as were on the CD Album releases?
Old 01-17-2019, 07:21 PM   #12
Martyn Miles

Ah, ‘Love and Maple Syrup’ is probably my all-time GL favourite, closely followed by ‘Pussy Willows, Cat Tails.’
Wonderful songs...
Martyn Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:35 AM   #13
Andy T.

I got this in the mail a few days ago. Actually, I got TWO of them. I thought that maybe someone messed up. Turns out it was ME. Somehow after I ordered it, it was still in my shopping cart, and when I later ordered something else that I needed to add something to bring it up for enough for free shipping, I ordered it again.

Since a recent new hire at work showed interest in GL (he mentioned Gordie before I did, actually) I just gave him the 2nd copy.

Now, one of the things I was interested in, was if there was a "real stereo" version of the alternate (louder handclaps/piano) 45 mix of Me and Bobby McGee. I had, several years ago, done my best to digitize my 45 of this, and that was when I noticed it was rather flat mono. (I shared this version with the Forum at that time) And when I listen to the track on the CD, it's about the same, still mono. I guess that was all they ever did for the single release. Nice to see though that they do seem to be accessing the masters for the single releases and not the Albums Proper. Not sure if that is the case for every track present here though.

EDIT: It is not true for every track. This release uses the album version of If You Could Read My Mind, the one without the harmony overdub vocals on a few lines. So, ironically, I guess if you want the Single version you have to go to Gord's Gold and Complete Greatest Hits and NOT this one!

Now, back to the "radio edit" of Wreck, that I mentioned above... well, this isn't it that one. Hmm. As I have in recent years become something of an audio sound editor , I think I might have to go and try to re-create that butchered version of the song, which I only ever heard on the air, that one time. Then again, that would only be for personal amusement, as who wants to listen to a butchered song!

Last edited by Andy T.; 04-24-2021 at 09:52 AM.
Andy T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:32 AM   #14
paskatefan

Our copy came a few days ago. Totally enjoying listening to all of these songs!

Gail