banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #76
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater
Default Re: Writing GORDON LIGHTFOOT - book excerpt

I haven't read the book and don't intend to. I don't care for autobiographies unless they are on video. I especially don't like books which are part fiction with fact mixed in. Most of us already know quite a bit about Gordons life, and what is most important about it to me, is his music. In most interviews he does, he talks a bit about his life and his songs. When I have talked with him, I have gained more real facts from him, then I could read anywhere else. I believe what he says, and have deducted my own views on his ways and lifestyles, as they surely have influcenced his music or maybe you could reverse that at times. He is a man of his times and like us all, he has lived his life the way he felt it might be best for the moments. Mistakes, we all make them, it's the waking up and making necessary changes that creates the real character in a person. Gordon has done that more than once and he has come out a sincere and very decent man. I like him, and I don't need some half fiction book to tell me why. If anyone were ever to write a book about Gordon that I might read, it would be his right hand man Rick Haynes. Only because I know Rick would not do anything but tell facts, and he has been there a long time to know Gordon well. As for the Edmond Fitzgerald song by DB when he was a punk rocker, what would you expect? That was the game young punk rockers played, the abstract, and trying to be noticed by getting as much press about their music. He used the various electronic sounds to make it his own, typical and not really done bad in the effects department, if you like electronic music. It fits the era and type of music, his group played. I think they picked the wrong song though. There are plenty of other songs by other writers that would have been better for this treatment, something like; House of the Rising Sun. Gordons way and vision is simply the hauntingly telling of the story, and he does it just fine, as he intended.
Nope, I won't read this book, no big deal.
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #77
charlene

Well you will miss out on all kinds of other factoids/info/cultural references/stories about TO/Canada on their own as well as how they relate to Lightfoot...it's not an autobiography. In some ways Lightfoot plays a very minimal part of the book.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #78
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater

Ok, seeing you put it that way, if I happen to come across it some day in a cheapo discount bin, I might throw a few bucks into it.

Last edited by JohninCt.; 03-21-2012 at 08:55 AM.
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #79
curiousmoonbeam

I read the book and was amazed by all of the information about Mariposa, which I knew very little about - also about Dylan. In that respect I thought the book was good. I did not care for the jail break incidents coinciding with Mariposa, fact or fiction, nor the very end where he claims he knows Gord's secret. If he is as great a Gord fan as he claims, he wouldn't have revealed it - but was it true? - Kind of gives him great license when he admits from the start that much of the book is fiction. All in all, I'm glad I read it.
curiousmoonbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #80
charlene

http://music.cbc.ca/#/blogs/2012/5/W...by-Dave-Bidini
Old 01-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #81
jj

lightfoot website review:

An unauthorized, semi-fictional account of Lightfoot, using the 1972 Mariposa Folk Festival and
events of that year as a backdrop. It's difficult to give this author any credence on the subject matter,
in light of his admission of spreading false rumours of Lightfoot plagiarising, then refusing to retract
his comments when proven wrong. And on top of everything else, pasting Gordon's friend
Bob Dylan on the cover, smacks of cheap exploitation. It's more the kind of book
you'd expect from someone like Kitty Kelley.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #82
redhead

This is fascinating. My apologies if it's been posted previously.

redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:51 AM   #83
charlene

I don't remember if it was posted but I have seen it .He did a reading at the book launch in TO. It was great and he wrote a really nice inscription in my copy..He has a new book out that I will also get - KEON and Me..- about a former Toronto Maple Leaf hockey player, his tribulations with the big shots owners of the team and how they treated him so badly and how Dave weaves a fight Keon had (one of only 2 in his hockey career I think) and it's impact on his life and the bullying he faced as a kid.. The KEON family were at the book launch a few weeks ago but I didn't get to it..
Old 11-10-2013, 03:30 AM   #84
jj

Whitney Houston: "the Greatest Love of All" - the envelope story is no secret

Last edited by jj; 11-10-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #85
redhead

The new book about KEON sounds like an interesting, albeit painful read. There is no excuse for management (or co-workers for that matter), to mistreat anybody in any profession. The fact that he also endured bullying as a child makes it sound even more heartbreaking.

(Glad to see that JJ is still a HUGE fan of the man's work,lol!)
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #86
charlene

I don't even know what that means JJ..
THe bullying was what Bidini encountered...an how he dealt with it knowing what Keon was going through..
Old 02-25-2014, 11:57 AM   #87
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
Well you will miss out on all kinds of other factoids/info/cultural references/stories about TO/Canada on their own as well as how they relate to Lightfoot...it's not an autobiography. In some ways Lightfoot plays a very minimal part of the book.
right on, char.... putting the photo of Gord on the cover (why not a page split with Henderson, Trudeau, etc) was a likely lucrative move the the publisher

i had read that the publisher asked him to write it...DB pondered it first (I admire that)...red, don't confuse my unconditional love for exploitive publishers with passionate Canucks like Mr. Bidini ...he's got a nice growing portfolio that included taken on some of the country's most revered persons and topics ... as for journalists, I browse very entertaining and somewhat anonymous blogs and internet comments for no fee... I feel for the industry and am glad authoring books and/or selling their rights helps to better make ends meet for our local, hardworking columnists and reporters

anyhow, don't judge a book by it's cover (i just made that up!)

i didn't but many likely did....

as for DB, yeah, i'm probably still partially scorned at his comments about their need to cover The Wreck because Gord's version hadn't sufficed when it came to creating a suitable mood to capture the horrors of that evening... I'm paraphrasing... perhaps even simply speculating... just like the book does
Old 02-25-2014, 11:58 AM   #88
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
I don't even know what that means JJ..
char, you don't know the old envelope story? re: Gord and the IYCRMM/TGLOA issue
Old 02-25-2014, 01:32 PM   #89
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
char, you don't know the old envelope story? re: Gord and the IYCRMM/TGLOA issue
remind me...memory is shot..
Old 02-25-2014, 02:44 PM   #90
jj

amazing that after a quick search, i cant find it online in a more thorough (less typo filled, lol) response to paste here

and it was also told again in the DB book, no? i dont know why i (or someone prior) called it the envelope story... so after several years, and following the big Whitney Houston hit release, TGLOA, Gord's people take exception and begin lawsuit regarding the similarities in the IYCRMM recurring segment ("never knew i could feel this way and i gotta say that i just don't get it...etc) with what Massor (sp? songwriter) had penned ...when i first heard it i sure thought it was plain as day, but didnt know what the rules were

anyhow, they had asked why Gord waited so long and i think he said he was worried that people would think it was he that had ripped of the Whitney song

at the end of the day, the legend goes, that Gord finally received the favourable ruling and a large cheque ... then he returned it in an envelope with a note saying he had never wanted the $$$ .... just an acknowledgement that they were indeed wrong

i dont know if Gord would welcome the question (rehash of the past? while we're on the topic, lol) but maybe that legend is just myth... tell him to put in in HIS book

hey, didnt we hear that a documentary is coming out on Gord in time for the next film festival? i guess i would take that over a book anyhow i imagine if there is any talk at all about the 70s lifestyle and Smith stuff, that they will breeze through it and stick to the stuff we adore: his hometown, the upbringing, the training, the discipline, the poetry, the compositions, the legacy... btw, we request more rare music, archival film, videos, photos and songwriting insights, please and thanks you, Gordon