banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 06-04-2011, 03:46 AM   #1
B45-12

Default BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD minus 2 Canadians

Greetings from Northern California...
Buffalo Springfield is touring a few cities to sold out crowds. They have not taken the stage together since 1967!
Last night (Thursday, June 2, 2011) I attended the second of two shows at the incredible and renovated FOX Theater in Oakland, California. Incredible venue.
Outside the FOX - pre-show - the excitement was nearly uncontainable... After a great dinner with my 23 year old daughter and my girl friend at a nearby restaurant - we struggled to park - finally lucking out by chance. A local sign shop owner simply saw our frustration driving by his building and invited us to park safely, close, and free in his private lock! No amount of money would suit him....just have a great time he required.
The extremely talented Gillian Welch opened the show - along with her amazing musical partner: David Rawlings. The mostly Buffalo anxious crowd DID NOT want them to leave the stage. The encore was thundering... On to Buffalo -
With a minimal stage setup - small vintage Fender Amps, a battered upright piano, a simple set of drums - and a Fender Bass amp - the lights dimmed - the audience roared - and out walked the 3 original members of the frontline of Buffalo Springfield - accompanied by Joe Vitale on drums and (?) on Bass.
Positioned from left to right were: Stephen Stills - Richie Furay - and Neil Young.
First song: On The Way Home - Richie - Lead Voc. INCREDIBLE.....
I could go on and on with superlatives and descriptions of audience response to all songs - but the bottom line here is that it was a very very special concert - and all knew it !
Time has done little affect the talents of Richie and Neil. Stephen, although still great - was clearly unable to hit notes of yesteryear, and seemed a bit distant from his own talent and abilities - all in all - it was so good to see and hear him.
My first encounter with this group was in 1967 - quite by accident - at the former Cinnamon Cinder Club in Los Angeles. I was 16 years old, and driving around with three high school buddies/fellow musicians and we just happened by this club. Most likely gained admission for $3.00....and no line whatsoever back then! I remember walking around this shoddy room - and there was this band on stage wearing cowboy hats and playing big Gretsch Guitars. We were Beatle and Stones and Kinks fans - and had no idea who this was - nor did most of the restless crowd. But, then they fired up "For What It's Worth" and we said - hey, that's that cool song on the radio. Fans ever since.

Because there are so many Canadians on this forum I felt compelled to say that it was sad to see the setting without the presence of all 5 original members.
Buffalo was three Canadians - and two Americans.
Bruce Palmer - Bass - Toronto, Ontario, Canada - d:Oct 01, 2004
Dewey Martin - Drums - Chesterville, Ontario, Canada - d:Jan 31, 2009

But one Great Canadian ( Neil Young) was there - and in full form - like a 22 year old !!
His most notable moments were his songs: I Am A Child, Mr. Soul, and Expecting To Fly.
Ovations like you have never heard. He also sounded 22 !

I made a few fruitless attempts to gain backstaqe access - but security was turning away even local celebrities not on the A List. I have known Neil for many years - and have even been to His and Peggy's ranch on a few occassions. My good friend (John Nowland) has been his personal engineer at Redwood Digital for 3 decades....and Peggy and I were pals in high school. But, with all that - I failed to prepare a possible visit - and security treated me like one may expect. Oh well, I do understand. Backstage must have looked like a class reunion of "who's who." I base this on the VIP vehicles lining the side streets - and an impressive row of 8 matching Luxury Busses - all taking up what could have been 30 parking spots for us paying folk !

Well - I thought some of you may enjoy this read - and sorry it took so much ink!
Old 06-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW
Default Re: BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD minus 2 Canadians

Sounds great man - thanks for the report!

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:03 AM   #3
BendRick

Wow I didn't know those musicians were still touring as Buffalo Springfield. Richie Furay later became Poco, and Neil Young did his own material, went on to join CSN, and went back to his own. I'd say my favorite folk-rock musicians would be
#1 Gordon Lightfoot
#2 Al Stewart
#3 Neil Young
#4 Dan Fogelberg
#5 James Taylor
There are many others, it's all good.
BendRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:09 AM   #4
B45-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendRick View Post
Wow I didn't know those musicians were still touring as Buffalo Springfield. Richie Furay later became Poco, and Neil Young did his own material, went on to join CSN, and went back to his own. I'd say my favorite folk-rock musicians would be
#1 Gordon Lightfoot
#2 Al Stewart
#3 Neil Young
#4 Dan Fogelberg
#5 James Taylor
There are many others, it's all good.
This was a "one-time" reunion - 44 years later. They have not been touring as Buffalo Springfield since 1967 when they split up and went separate ways. They were another band that had too many chiefs. Basically, Stephen came into the studio with his songs, Richie with his, and Neil with his. Then, they managed to support each others music - with the help of a great engineer and producer Stan Ross. Even in CSNY there was constant friction between Stills and Young. So much so that Neil would come and go from the original CSN - do his own thing - then they would kiss and make up for another album and tour. It did appear though that they all truly enjoyed each others company on stage after all of this time. Age has a way of erasing bad things from the past - and often times it seems like they weren't so bad after all.
Buffalo Springfield - The Byrds - and The Flying Burrito Brothers spawned an entire era of music that lasted for decades and influenced so many bands that took bits and pieces from their sound and went on to a fame journey of their own. You mentioned POCO - and then there was The Eagles, Dan Fogelberg, Gram Parsons, and probably dozens more.
The Eagles are a great example of some L.A. guys that found all of the right members - came up with the right sound and dominated the radio stations for over ten years!
But to me - other that a couple of songs - they were just a homogenized version of Buffalo Springfield......but millions of dollars and fans richer !!
I never cared much for their music - but many did - and to this day - they can sell out arenas on a rumor of a tour !!!

Last edited by B45-12; 06-05-2011 at 02:12 AM.
B45-12 is offline   Reply With Quote