banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 03-06-2000, 01:39 PM   #1
Dorothea

I recently checked out Gord's past tv appearances on another site. Has anybody seen any of these? The majority have been in Canada and the U.S.A, obviously.{You lucky people}.Living in the U.K one in particular caught my attention a 35 minute concert aired in January 1972.On the BBC.The song set was amazing.IYCRMM,SSOL,etc.I was a teenager in the early 70's when I first heard of Gord.I watched most music programmes but for the life of me I can't remember that one.I might be crazy but I'm thinking of writing to the BBC.A persuasive letter, maybe!The thought of seeing Gord on stage on stage with Rick and Red in their prime, singing those songs is too much.My wife thinks the idea's mad, only because she knows she's going to have to type the letter!I suppose in the end I'll be picking up the pieces of my sweet shattered dream.I wonder how the C.E of the BBC is tonight.
Dorothea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2000, 01:39 PM   #2
Frank v

I recently checked out Gord's past tv appearances on another site. Has anybody seen any of these? The majority have been in Canada and the U.S.A, obviously.{You lucky people}.Living in the U.K one in particular caught my attention a 35 minute concert aired in January 1972.On the BBC.The song set was amazing.IYCRMM,SSOL,etc.I was a teenager in the early 70's when I first heard of Gord.I watched most music programmes but for the life of me I can't remember that one.I might be crazy but I'm thinking of writing to the BBC.A persuasive letter, maybe!The thought of seeing Gord on stage on stage with Rick and Red in their prime, singing those songs is too much.My wife thinks the idea's mad, only because she knows she's going to have to type the letter!I suppose in the end I'll be picking up the pieces of my sweet shattered dream.I wonder how the C.E of the BBC is tonight.
Frank v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2000, 02:05 PM   #3
Florian

Hi Frank v,

In case you succeed, I know someone who would like to have a copy.
Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2000, 06:14 PM   #4
DJL

Hello Frank,
I also live in UK and therefore have little chance of seeing him play live. If you have any luck with the BBC, please let me know. I also somehow missed that broadcast, which is odd because I was a big fan of his in the 70s (even more so now).
DJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2000, 06:14 PM   #5
A Painter

Hello Frank,
I also live in UK and therefore have little chance of seeing him play live. If you have any luck with the BBC, please let me know. I also somehow missed that broadcast, which is odd because I was a big fan of his in the 70s (even more so now).
A Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2000, 12:27 PM   #6
Dorothea

I'll keep you informed on develepments.
If they can't dig that particular concert out of the archives.There are several other transmissions.
Strange to think, I haven't seen him live or on tv during the 70-75 period.
If my memory serves me correct, Sundown was played on a 74 edition of 'Top of the Pops', with the strains of pans people dancing to some Canadian back drop.{Could have been the Rockies}.I suppose if you can't have the man himself pans people are the next best thing.
The release of the Sundown album during this period is another story.It could explain why many fans didn't see him in concert.
When it was released, it's strength and commercial appeal took a lot of people by suprise.When it hit no.1 in the US.It started shifting units in Europe dramatically.So much so that his concerts were sold out not so long after they hit the press.The size of the venues didn't help that much.Releasing one of the best albums of the 70's had a two way affect.
I remember some interesting anecdotes from this period concerning the press and radio stations which still bring a smile to my face.You know like GL has proved he's the master...Enjoy the art and mastery of the 'SIX MINUTE' seven island suit.etc.
This has been a long post I hope I haven't bored you.I must go my HiFi is cold it needs to be warmed up with a double shot of Gord. Today it's DQ followed by COTS.

Whatever happens ride let it ride.

Old 03-08-2000, 12:27 PM   #7
Frank v

I'll keep you informed on develepments.
If they can't dig that particular concert out of the archives.There are several other transmissions.
Strange to think, I haven't seen him live or on tv during the 70-75 period.
If my memory serves me correct, Sundown was played on a 74 edition of 'Top of the Pops', with the strains of pans people dancing to some Canadian back drop.{Could have been the Rockies}.I suppose if you can't have the man himself pans people are the next best thing.
The release of the Sundown album during this period is another story.It could explain why many fans didn't see him in concert.
When it was released, it's strength and commercial appeal took a lot of people by suprise.When it hit no.1 in the US.It started shifting units in Europe dramatically.So much so that his concerts were sold out not so long after they hit the press.The size of the venues didn't help that much.Releasing one of the best albums of the 70's had a two way affect.
I remember some interesting anecdotes from this period concerning the press and radio stations which still bring a smile to my face.You know like GL has proved he's the master...Enjoy the art and mastery of the 'SIX MINUTE' seven island suit.etc.
This has been a long post I hope I haven't bored you.I must go my HiFi is cold it needs to be warmed up with a double shot of Gord. Today it's DQ followed by COTS.

Whatever happens ride let it ride.

Old 03-08-2000, 05:01 PM   #8
chris

Frank,
Your post was great, but I have to ask, what are pans people? Am I missing something? THanks.

chris

------------------
"It took most of my time to do what never was done" -- GL
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2000, 07:04 PM   #9
DJL

Chris,
Pans People were a girl dance group used on the pop chart show 'Top Of The Pops' in the UK during the 70's. They were used when the artist, or film of the artist, wasn't available - basically a fill in. On reflection, the dancing was pretty poor, but they were good to watch!

Frank, I believe I remember that back drop. Thanks for the reminder.

I certainly remember Sundown being played on TOTP. As a fan, it was a big moment for me as most of my friends at the time had never heard of GL. Most were soon converted.

------------------
"some people join the party, and others say goodnight"
DJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2000, 07:04 PM   #10
A Painter

Chris,
Pans People were a girl dance group used on the pop chart show 'Top Of The Pops' in the UK during the 70's. They were used when the artist, or film of the artist, wasn't available - basically a fill in. On reflection, the dancing was pretty poor, but they were good to watch!

Frank, I believe I remember that back drop. Thanks for the reminder.

I certainly remember Sundown being played on TOTP. As a fan, it was a big moment for me as most of my friends at the time had never heard of GL. Most were soon converted.

------------------
"some people join the party, and others say goodnight"
A Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2000, 09:48 PM   #11
chris

OK you folks from the UK -- I don't know how reruns work over there or if you have the proliferation of old tv shows all over cable, but have you ever seen that music show that Gordon hosted one summer, sometime in the early 60s? I'm assuming it was before your time, but perhaps it's shown in reruns. Or was it one of those shows that ended and was never seen again? He talks about it being a great experience because he got to sing at least once on every show and apparently he did a tremendous amount of writing while he was there -- all that great music that would show up on the UA albums when he returned.

chris

------------------
"It took most of my time to do what never was done" -- GL
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2000, 11:13 AM   #12
Dorothea

Thanks Florian, Painter.

Chris
Regretfully, I haven't seen any of those shows.
If you beleive press articals and liner notes.He wrote most of the 'Back here on Earth', Album in a London hotel room in 67 or 68.
Can you imagine, writing a classic song while eating eggs and bacon.{Trad English breakfast}.
I mean...We all know the mans a genius, but thats food for thought!

If I could sing like the poets and kings of this world {BHOE}.
You can Gord.You can...
Old 03-09-2000, 11:13 AM   #13
Frank v

Thanks Florian, Painter.

Chris
Regretfully, I haven't seen any of those shows.
If you beleive press articals and liner notes.He wrote most of the 'Back here on Earth', Album in a London hotel room in 67 or 68.
Can you imagine, writing a classic song while eating eggs and bacon.{Trad English breakfast}.
I mean...We all know the mans a genius, but thats food for thought!

If I could sing like the poets and kings of this world {BHOE}.
You can Gord.You can...