banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-24-2006, 08:39 AM   #1
RussWig

Send a message via AIM to RussWig

Lately, since the 8/4/06 Concord, NH concert, my admiration for the man and his music has been revived. What a pleasure

I'm loving his music as much as ever (maybe more), listening to my old records, scrolling through this message board, reading interviews, watching clips from performances and looking at photos of him throughout his career.

The photos that grab me and ignite a spark of recognition ( even make my heart skip a beat )are the ones from around 1976. For example, the cover of Gord's Gold. To my mind's eye that will always be the GL I visualize when I think of him. ( That's also the year I met my husband and the year I first started hearing GL. A meaningful year all around for me.)

I'd love to hear what others think/feel.

And, by the way, thanks for such a warm welcome to this board. You're a special and very nice group of people
Old 08-24-2006, 08:39 AM   #2
My Name is Ann

Lately, since the 8/4/06 Concord, NH concert, my admiration for the man and his music has been revived. What a pleasure

I'm loving his music as much as ever (maybe more), listening to my old records, scrolling through this message board, reading interviews, watching clips from performances and looking at photos of him throughout his career.

The photos that grab me and ignite a spark of recognition ( even make my heart skip a beat )are the ones from around 1976. For example, the cover of Gord's Gold. To my mind's eye that will always be the GL I visualize when I think of him. ( That's also the year I met my husband and the year I first started hearing GL. A meaningful year all around for me.)

I'd love to hear what others think/feel.

And, by the way, thanks for such a warm welcome to this board. You're a special and very nice group of people
Old 08-24-2006, 08:43 AM   #3
charlene

Yes Ann 1976 was a very good year!
lol
Isn't it wonderful to revive all those feelings by going thru archives of Lightfoot stuff? I still do it every once in a while....

My middle name is Anne...and since first hearing Gord's Carefree Highway I wished it was my first..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:43 AM   #4
charlene

Yes Ann 1976 was a very good year!
lol
Isn't it wonderful to revive all those feelings by going thru archives of Lightfoot stuff? I still do it every once in a while....

My middle name is Anne...and since first hearing Gord's Carefree Highway I wished it was my first..
Old 08-24-2006, 09:04 AM   #5
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

I always visualize Gord from the Gord's Gold era too, although I've seen him a bunch of times in the past 6 years. I guess it's just us reliving our youth... or Gord's youth.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:43 AM   #6
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

OK I particularly recall 1967 which was such a special year for me.It was Canada's Centennial year of course with the wonderful Expo 67 set on an island in the St Lawrence river just off Montreal's main large island

i could write a whole book of my memories of Expo alone, suffice it to say that in preparation for it Montreal's mayor (Jean Drapeau) ordered a general cleanup turning the city from a replica London bomb site into a smart clean city,and a special mention of the great British pavilion replete with much British humour. (in the entrance hall was a full sized Concorde Olympus jet engine mounted vertically above a large circular mirror, there were usually a group of young lads closely studying the mirror and watching young lasses climbing the circular staircase strategically winding up around the engine!).
And of course one day in May Gord Red and John played at Expo and in the evening gave a concert at the New Penelope coffee house, my first of many immensely enjoyable concerts.
Next I well remember my first Royal Albert Hall. London concert in June 1972.
At all those early concerts my overriding memory is of the way Gord rocked/nodded his head at certain points, If you don't know what I mean , play your copy of the Reno video (always a good idea!) and at about 46 minutes (in the middle of Shadows) he does a nice example
Then there was of course 1999 when I found the chatroom, met a number of wonderful ladies especially Susan, Jenney and Diane and set myself up to overcome my health problem in 2000
John Fowles
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:43 AM   #7
johnfowles

OK I particularly recall 1967 which was such a special year for me.It was Canada's Centennial year of course with the wonderful Expo 67 set on an island in the St Lawrence river just off Montreal's main large island

i could write a whole book of my memories of Expo alone, suffice it to say that in preparation for it Montreal's mayor (Jean Drapeau) ordered a general cleanup turning the city from a replica London bomb site into a smart clean city,and a special mention of the great British pavilion replete with much British humour. (in the entrance hall was a full sized Concorde Olympus jet engine mounted vertically above a large circular mirror, there were usually a group of young lads closely studying the mirror and watching young lasses climbing the circular staircase strategically winding up around the engine!).
And of course one day in May Gord Red and John played at Expo and in the evening gave a concert at the New Penelope coffee house, my first of many immensely enjoyable concerts.
Next I well remember my first Royal Albert Hall. London concert in June 1972.
At all those early concerts my overriding memory is of the way Gord rocked/nodded his head at certain points, If you don't know what I mean , play your copy of the Reno video (always a good idea!) and at about 46 minutes (in the middle of Shadows) he does a nice example
Then there was of course 1999 when I found the chatroom, met a number of wonderful ladies especially Susan, Jenney and Diane and set myself up to overcome my health problem in 2000
John Fowles
Old 08-24-2006, 10:55 AM   #8
brink-

"At all those early concerts my overriding memory is of the way Gord rocked/nodded his head at certain points"

AnneOK does a "mean" Lightfoot head bob. She demonstrated it several times at the lighthead weekends.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:25 AM   #9
charlene

Lisa always gets a kick out of it....she knows when he does it in certain songs in concert and when I have the song/album on she'll walk by and do it or call out - 'here it comes mum" and I know exactly what she means!
she's a nasty little thing!
lolol

I never got to EXPO '67 - I was 12 that summer, blissfully unaware of it other than knowing my mum was going with a friend. I had my rollerskates and key and would skate all day....couldn't use them up north in the bush tho...
Old 08-24-2006, 11:25 AM   #10
charlene

Lisa always gets a kick out of it....she knows when he does it in certain songs in concert and when I have the song/album on she'll walk by and do it or call out - 'here it comes mum" and I know exactly what she means!
she's a nasty little thing!
lolol

I never got to EXPO '67 - I was 12 that summer, blissfully unaware of it other than knowing my mum was going with a friend. I had my rollerskates and key and would skate all day....couldn't use them up north in the bush tho...
Old 08-24-2006, 11:44 AM   #11
Jesse Joe

Great pic of the Expo John, I, like Charlene was about 11 or 12. I do what Lisa does Charlene. Even when I hear, Don Quixote, just maybe a minute before it ends, the song comes to a halt, and he stomp his feet twice. Every time I hear that song I do it. Lisa is ok, a real Lightfoot fan. {Lighthead}lol

You John having lived in Montreal in those years, you were a privilege man. I dont know what I wouldn't give to be able to go back in time. I would be at The New Penelope, hearing that new Minstrel Of The Dawn, POET, doing, " Did She Mention my Name?" I was almost old enough to go see him in concert at The Moncton High School Auditorium. The year was 1969, I was in grade 8. That would have meant more to me than in 1987, when I first saw him. I was born, 5 years too late...Jesse.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:44 AM   #12
Jesse Joe

Great pic of the Expo John, I, like Charlene was about 11 or 12. I do what Lisa does Charlene. Even when I hear, Don Quixote, just maybe a minute before it ends, the song comes to a halt, and he stomp his feet twice. Every time I hear that song I do it. Lisa is ok, a real Lightfoot fan. {Lighthead}lol

You John having lived in Montreal in those years, you were a privilege man. I dont know what I wouldn't give to be able to go back in time. I would be at The New Penelope, hearing that new Minstrel Of The Dawn, POET, doing, " Did She Mention my Name?" I was almost old enough to go see him in concert at The Moncton High School Auditorium. The year was 1969, I was in grade 8. That would have meant more to me than in 1987, when I first saw him. I was born, 5 years too late...Jesse.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:48 PM   #13
Borderstone

On a late lunch break here so,I gotta be quick!

1970's becasue that's his heyday in the U.S. but in 2nd place 1986 becasue that's when I saw the picture sleeve for,"Anything For Love" and knew what he looked like. Later!
Old 08-24-2006, 08:48 PM   #14
RussWig

Quote:
Originally posted by MistyMoppens:
And 1984-1988 for when I got to know the man more as a person. (No big relationship! We just found ourselves with time to talk.) He'd make the most awesome big brother!
Misty, I'd love to hear about this....
Please write some when you have a moment
Old 08-24-2006, 08:48 PM   #15
My Name is Ann

Quote:
Originally posted by MistyMoppens:
And 1984-1988 for when I got to know the man more as a person. (No big relationship! We just found ourselves with time to talk.) He'd make the most awesome big brother!
Misty, I'd love to hear about this....
Please write some when you have a moment
Old 08-25-2006, 05:47 AM   #16
Jesse Joe

I started listening to Gord in 1969. But when I hear him, it brings me to the year 1976. A year that I discovered true love. And his music was getting better and better...JESSE.

[ August 27, 2006, 09:34: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Old 08-25-2006, 05:47 AM   #17
Jesse Joe

I started listening to Gord in 1969. But when I hear him, it brings me to the year 1976. A year that I discovered true love. And his music was getting better and better...JESSE.

[ August 27, 2006, 09:34: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Old 08-26-2006, 07:55 AM   #18
Jennifer

Of course I looooooove the Gords Gold pic and other images from that era but I really enjoy those pictures of sweet young baby-face Gordon from his United Artist days with his hair swept back like James Dean. They're just so charming
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 02:18 PM   #19
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer:
Gordon from his United Artist days with his hair swept back like James Dean.
I konw the look you mean Jennifer but I found it suprisingly hard to find a picture to illustrate your point.
I nearly settled for a scan of the back insert from songbook disk 1
and then found what I wanted on the album sleeve back of the first UA album Lightfoot! which I think is spot-on
this picture is also shown in the nice booklet that you get with the 3-CD SET "Original Lightfoot"/"The United Artist Years"
Just like this eh?

a little later he had changed as in this 1969 photo

Which is just one of 24 pix from "The Lightfoot Years at:-
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/LIGHTFO...foot_years.htm
John Fowles
Old 08-26-2006, 02:18 PM   #20
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer:
I konw the look you mean Jennifer but I found it suprisingly hard to find a picture to illustrate your point.
and then found what I wanted on the album sleeve back of the first UA album Lightfoot! which I think is spot-on
this picture is also shown in the nice booklet that you get with the 3-CD SET "Original Lightfoot"/"The United Artist Years"
Just like this eh?

a little later he had changed as in this 1969 photo

Which is just one of 24 pix from "The Lightfoot Years at:-
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/LIGHTFO...foot_years.htm
John Fowles
Old 08-26-2006, 05:23 PM   #21
Jesse Joe

John you have the nicest old pics of Gord. Seems to prove to me, you followed his carrer since EXPO 67 in Montreal...Jesse
Old 08-26-2006, 05:23 PM   #22
Jesse Joe

John you have the nicest old pics of Gord. Seems to prove to me, you followed his carrer since EXPO 67 in Montreal...Jesse
Old 08-26-2006, 05:32 PM   #23
RussWig

Quote:
Originally posted by johnfowles:
quote:Originally posted by Jennifer:
[/QUOTE]I've never seen him looking like that - love it!
Old 08-26-2006, 05:32 PM   #24
My Name is Ann

Quote:
Originally posted by johnfowles:
quote:Originally posted by Jennifer:
[/QUOTE]I've never seen him looking like that - love it!
Old 08-26-2006, 05:35 PM   #25
DJ in MJ

"At all those early concerts my overriding memory is of the way Gord rocked/nodded his head at certain points"

He did a couple of head bobs, perfectly timed, in the 1970 youtube video of For Lovin' Me. And he did it to great effect.
DJ in MJ is offline   Reply With Quote