banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 10-19-2005, 06:09 PM   #1
Borderstone

In the past 2 years,I've covered the announcements of nominees and the final "vote in" of artists for the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame.

They were announced last month and I kept forgetting to do this. I got a look at htis years list and I need to know if some of you recall some of these acts as being anything special or great. 2006 class nominees are:

The Stooges (?) Help here?

Joe Tex (I know he's a 60's/70's r&b singer but can someone tell me more?

Sir Douglas Quintet. I know they had three small hits and "Doug" passed away in '01.

Paul Butterfield Band (?) Sounds familiar.

Now,the one's I have really heard of:

John Mellencamp - No arguement from me!

Miles Davis - Again...no doubt there!

Blondie - I totally agree!

Cat Stevens - Heck yeah!

Patti Smith Group - What're they waitin' for?

Dave Clark Five - They're not the Beatles or The Stones but they're good! Heck,KISS covered their song,"Any Way You Want It".

Now,know them like some of them but....

Chic? - Nile Rodgers & bernard Edwards were good at what they did,making Disco better than most. Beat & melody from song "Good Times" got copied by Sugarhill Gang & Queen.

Sex Pistols - Have seen archival footage on local video station here (quite rowdy & obnoxious) but do they deserve to be in?

Grandmaster Flash & Furious Five -
First somewhat hardline rap group,that did "raps" "White Lines" & "The Message".
I can see where the voters are going here but should they be put in before older acts still waiting? At least they didn't curse.

J. Geils Band - Despite 2 big top ten hits "Centerfold" (#1 6 weeks) & "Freeze Frame" in '82,they're also known for "Must've Got Lost","Love Stinks" and a few other hits.

Black Sabbath - I dig Ozzy to a certain degree but did this group really do all that much for this?

Remember,they're just nominees,final vote is around the end of the year. Opinions,please?
Old 10-26-2005, 11:35 PM   #2
yaz8

They should vote in Cheap Trick. Or maybe you have to be retired 5 years first and Robin, Rick,Bun E. and Tom are still rockin.
________
starcraft replays

Last edited by yaz8; 01-23-2011 at 11:58 PM.
yaz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 07:51 PM   #3
Borderstone

Yaz8,no you don't have to be retired but you do have to be in the public spotlight for 25 years.

The way they wait so long,most of the artists are nearly 70 by the time they get in!

I can't believe it's the 20th Anniversary of the Hall Of Fame and this is the best list they could muster? Puh-lease! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 10:50 PM   #4
Affair on Touhy Ave.

it's the Paul Butterfield Blues Band they were Blues/Rock group from Chicago durring the 1960. don't think they ever had any Top 40 hits. Butterfield passed on in 1984 and the band also included Mike Bloomfield. should also add they were and intergrated band as well.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 05:57 PM   #5
Borderstone

Hey Touhy! Thank for that tid-bit of information. I checked my Billboard Book Of Top 40 Hits a few days ago and no,they didn't have any hits. Having hits is not really necessary for consideration anyway.

Look at the Grateful Dead,only 1 hit but legions of fans and a great sound to boot! Thanks again!
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 06:19 PM   #6
joveski

> The Stooges (?) Help here?

iggy pop's band

> Paul Butterfield Band

they backed up bob dylan when he played electric in 1965.. thats worthy of inclusion alone. mike bloomfields last public performance was at dylan's 15 nov 1980 showm as well
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 12:57 AM   #7
The Rez

"Influential" has been more important than "Popular" across the years - arguably . . .

Goin' by memory here:

Paul Butterfield fits that bill - great harp - even greater band. Died way too soon.

Mike Bloomfield (also of Electric Flag) - standard setting guitar slinger, up there w/ Clapton, who died way-way too soon.

Iggy & The Stooges set up the American music world for Punk - which has been around longer than Rap, btw. No Iggy - No Black Flag, et. al.

Joe Tex set the mark for "Sweet Soul Singers" back in the 60s. Not the Motown kind, but the kind that endures today - even in R. Kelly

Sir Douglas (Doug Sahm) was pretty well the first American band to capture the British Invasion sound, setting the Tombstone on the Grave of Surf Music, which was dug by The Beatles. I am eternally glad for that (even though Surf paid the bills for a time.)

Right w/ ya, Borderstone, from Mellencamp thru Patti Smith.

Dave Clark Five . . . I dunno . . . Guilty Pleasure? They did a fine cover of Bobby Day's Over & Over, though. (Bobby got much bucks & credit - both of which he deserved. Same-same w/ Rockin' Robin.)

Sex Pistols - yeah. The "Influence" thing. In there w/ The Stooges on that measure.

It's rough sometimes acknowledging someone's LARGE influence in a field you don't really dig. Chic, Grandmaster Flash, and Black Sabbath each did that in their fields.

J. Geils Band was cool, but I never saw any big effect on other players or the direction of music. For me, that's the test: The effect on other musicians and the very direction of music - whether I enjoy that direction or not.

Again . . . from memory . . . which tells me The Band did the Dylan honors at Newport Folk.

Gord would know - he preceded Dylan on that Bill, as I recall.

I've geen AWOL a while. Good to be back w/ y'all. I'll ask for your kindness if I got anything wrong on the "from memory" stuff.

Or . . . like a Politician . . . I could always deny having said "it." LOL!!!

Adios,

The Rez
[Psalm 139:13]
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:41 PM   #8
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Welcome back, Rez!
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:53 PM   #9
Borderstone

Big Welcome back to you Rez! :D Yes,you haven't been here for awhile,I thought maybe you joined that Don MacLean crowd!!LOL:D (He's cool too! )

Thanks for your response also! Now I can see why some have been considered,and I feel my gut instinct on J. Geils Band was right on the money!

(If you ever heard J. Geils' post Peter Wolf single,"Concealed Weapons" from 1984,you'd be scratchin' your head too!! :D
Gosh-awful "song". ) )
Old 11-01-2005, 07:55 PM   #10
Affair on Touhy Ave.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Rez:
"Influential" has been more important than "Popular" across the years - arguably . . .

Goin' by memory here:

Paul Butterfield fits that bill - great harp - even greater band. Died way too soon.

Mike Bloomfield (also of Electric Flag) - standard setting guitar slinger, up there w/ Clapton, who died way-way too soon.

Iggy & The Stooges set up the American music world for Punk - which has been around longer than Rap, btw. No Iggy - No Black Flag, et. al.

Joe Tex set the mark for "Sweet Soul Singers" back in the 60s. Not the Motown kind, but the kind that endures today - even in R. Kelly

Sir Douglas (Doug Sahm) was pretty well the first American band to capture the British Invasion sound, setting the Tombstone on the Grave of Surf Music, which was dug by The Beatles. I am eternally glad for that (even though Surf paid the bills for a time.)

Right w/ ya, Borderstone, from Mellencamp thru Patti Smith.

Dave Clark Five . . . I dunno . . . Guilty Pleasure? They did a fine cover of Bobby Day's Over & Over, though. (Bobby got much bucks & credit - both of which he deserved. Same-same w/ Rockin' Robin.)

Sex Pistols - yeah. The "Influence" thing. In there w/ The Stooges on that measure.

It's rough sometimes acknowledging someone's LARGE influence in a field you don't really dig. Chic, Grandmaster Flash, and Black Sabbath each did that in their fields.

J. Geils Band was cool, but I never saw any big effect on other players or the direction of music. For me, that's the test: The effect on other musicians and the very direction of music - whether I enjoy that direction or not.

Again . . . from memory . . . which tells me The Band did the Dylan honors at Newport Folk.

Gord would know - he preceded Dylan on that Bill, as I recall.

I've geen AWOL a while. Good to be back w/ y'all. I'll ask for your kindness if I got anything wrong on the "from memory" stuff.

Or . . . like a Politician . . . I could always deny having said "it." LOL!!!

Adios,

The Rez
don't think Sir Douglass was a Surf group, i've heard 2 songs by them She's About a Mover and I can't spell it but it begins with a M and it's the title of a Canadian National Park I think.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 02:44 AM   #11
The Rez

Touhy:

No, Sir Douglass Quintet was definately not a Surf Band.

There the ones who played at the Memorial Service as The Surfer Stomp was Buried-at-Sea.

As I said above, I was grateful for the British Invasion and The American Response. The poor saxman (me) just couldn't compete in sheer volume w/ those Stratocasters.

Sir Douglass also set the stage for The Beau Brummels. Really great guys- Bay Area as I recall.

Sax didn't figure much in those 12 String Rickenbacker groups, but I didn't mind - I finally got to sing (or a fax thereof.)

Came Chicago Transit Authority (Chicago) and horns were back w/ a vengeance. They never left in R&B & Sweet Soul Music.

I figure the thing that strikes me most about those who've either been inducted or waiting their turn, is that they each and all played a part in The Music.

The styles aren'e really that different (Night to Day - East to West,) just a long, beautiful lineage of "Begats" that stretches back to Steven Foster, at least.

Sorta like readin' all the "Begats" in Genesis or Matthew . . . bunch of disconnected names until you see the interweaving - and that One would not have come w/o the Other in The Long Train of Dreams.

Good Music & Bad Music: the main two catagories

And that's an opinion up for grabs.

Personally, I'm still betting The Ross Garabedian Players. They're day will come.

Your Friend in Music,

The Rez
[Psalm 139:13]
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 11:45 AM   #12
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

What's happenin' B ?

Some smart guy once said that everyone thinks 'history' started the day they were born. Check out the J. Geils Band discography and you'll see that their hardcore stuff on Atlantic was years (decade) before the stuff you remember. They were houserockers and their live shows were the bomb, really. My downstairs neighbors at the time liked 'em so well they called the cops at least 3 times. Gotta hear the early stuff really, really loud. Go buy one used, you'll see what I mean.

http://www.dirtywater.com/a2z/g/geils/discography.html

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 08:29 PM   #13
Borderstone

Hey Bill. I know history didn't start in 1968. (Although just days and weeks prior to my birth on 6/13 there was a whole lotta historical violence!)

I've heard quite a few of their early songs but you are right,maybe if I hear an LP's worth,I'll understand it better. I guess it's just hard to picture a goofy guy like Peter Wolf getting nominated for such a thing. (Especially after that short lived solo careeer! )
Old 11-28-2005, 04:00 PM   #14
Borderstone

Okay,the official list is out (at Billboard.com) and I can only rate it: Pretty good but not fantastic. (That's of a varying opinion,I know.) Here it is:

Miles Davis:Cool

Blondie:Awesome

Black Sabbath:Great if you are big on Ozzy.

Sex Pistols:Great if you are one who likes punk.

Lynard Skynard: Great and about blessed time!

Lifetime Achievment:Herb Alpert & Jerry Moss fo founding of A & M Records.

Inductees for "sidemen" have not been announced.
As always,the show will be on VH1 in March.

I still think 5 at a time is waaaaay to few and to slow. I'll lay off the "who should be's",I know that gets tiresome. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2005, 07:54 PM   #15
violet Blue

It might help to have been around in the seventies to know the effect Black Sabbath had on music at the time. That was a whole new experience for a lot of us, with or without Ozzy. Gods but my mother hated Black Sabbath.
violet Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:00 PM   #16
Borderstone

I was around in the 70s Violet. I was between 2 & 1/2 (1970) to 11 & 1/2 (Dec. 1979). I remember vividly my brothers,when we lived in California (77-80),making friends who got them into groups like Sabbath & other loud acts of the past 8 to 10 years.

My Mother liked some of it but just not played so loud or when they said bad words. My Grandmother (age 68 to 70 then) flat out hated it all! I laugh when I think back on how she called Van Halen, "Van Heflin" (an old Hollywood actor).
LOL:D

As for Sabbth's music,it's goofd,it's loud,it was and still is controversial,like Ozzy himself is. I guess they did influence the past 2 generations (or is it 3?) I never was a "metal head" anyway! :D
Old 04-08-2006, 07:25 PM   #17
Borderstone

I know...it's been nearly a month since the show. I missed it anyway but from what I heard,it sounded like a whiers festival.

Ozzy & B.Sab. whined about how long it took for them too get in,Blondie band-members are feuding and the sex-pistols flat out said no thanks!
I realize Johnny Rotten & co. have a so-called image,but it doesn't make sense to play it out at this point. Stupid! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Anyhow,glad the rest went well. Miles Davis,Lynard Skynard and Herb Alpert&Jerry Moss are even more deserving of the award.

(Herb & Jerry won for founding A & M records.)