banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Lightfoot Covers

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
charlene

Default cover of SUNDOWN by Toby Keith

Toby is NOT my cuppa in the least that's for sure, but it should be nice new coverage for Sundown with the fans of Toby. Release date is the week of the Letterman show.

http://www.theboot.com/2010/08/17/to...AOL+Music+News)
Old 08-18-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
Jesse Joe

Default Re: cover of SUNDOWN by Toby Keith

Same here for Toby Keith but great to see he's doing SUNDOWN.

Gordon Lightfoot announces Ontario tour dates; tickets on sale next week

CP
Mon, 09/08/2010 - 9:13am

TORONTO - Iconic folk singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot has announced two weeks of shows in Ontario next year and is planning a more-extensive tour.

Lightfoot will perform next May in Windsor, Cornwall, Brockville, Napanee and then play four nights at Toronto's Massey Hall.

His shows at Massey Hall will set the mark for the most performances at the historic venue by any artist.

Tickets for the tour range from $40 to $90.

Lightfoot will also make a rare television appearance on the "Late Show with David Letterman" on Oct. 8.

Lightfoot has won 15 Junos and five Grammys in his career and has been inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame, the Canadian Country Music Hall Of Fame and Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
timetraveler

i'm not exactly a big fan of Keith either, but he did at least show that he has good taste when he chose Sundown. I'll definately have to hear what it sounds like when he sings such a classic.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Here it is, as the "Related Media" in the Amazon listing:

Video: Toby Keith doing Sundown

You may not be a fan of Toby Keith, but this is one dynamite cover. Check out the lead guitar solos! Wow.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
jj

thanks for posting...i know nothing of this guy but what an all 'round lame rendition (and video, what's with the PIP view), imo...but we all agree, glad he's promoing GL..what i'd like to hear is his intro to the song in live concert

the droned female backing vox arrangement makes it sound like a Christian rock musak cut...i feel gord's (and rick/terry live) chorus harmony on the studio production is what takes an arguably monotonous track to a whole other level...the lead guy here should probably repeat the first solo lick 2x to give the next lick more impact, the way the studio cut is...why stray from a classic solo at all..well, those are my honest first (and probably last) impressions
Old 09-17-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Gee, JJ, cut the guy some slack! He's a top country music star, and covers Lightfoot with an arrangement that very much pays tribute to Lightfoot's own, while still being faithful to his own musical style. (Compare this cover with Elwood's for example). Keith is not trying to do a note-for-note rendition, or sound like Lightfoot and the band. I am not trying to convert you into a Toby Keith fan, but the fact that a star of his stature would interpret the song with such a nod to the original is a fine tribute.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:39 AM   #7
charlene

He might be a 'star' but I have never liked him or his music and still don't despite his covering of a Lightfoot tune. The song drags and has no energy for me and his voice is monotonous. The guitar stuff is great. Not as great a Terrys but good. It lacks the sexiness that the tune has when done by Lightfoot on the album or live.
Maybe onstage, in front of an audience it will be less of a yawner.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
we all agree, glad he's promoing GL
sorry, i buried this comment in my reply and it probably should have been on it's own

i do think the lead guy will revise his solo to do the opening lick 2x

ray conniff was a big name also, but i probably wouldn't have enjoy his cover much either (it sounds like toby borrowed his back up singers)

thanks for the feedback...i think this board needs more friendly but contradictory opinions...i've never come across so many agreeable folks, lol
Old 09-25-2010, 10:30 PM   #9
charlene

well the big ol' redneck was in town, leaving his patriotism at the border apparently..
...and didn't sing his version of Sundown.
(even if it's on the 'next' album he could/should have done it!- hello!! you're in gordtown dude and just recorded a gordtune!! )
http://www.torontosun.com/entertainm.../15460216.html
Old 09-25-2010, 11:35 PM   #10
fezo

Sounds OK. I'd have to hear more than that to give it higher than OK but I do have to comment on ol' Toby.

Yeah, I generally don't go for his act but he does pick out writers that need to be acknowledged. I like that. He was the first major Nashville guy to pick up enough on Fred Eaglesmth to actually record one of his songs - the absolute killer White Rose. Since then Miranda Lambert picked up another Fred tune and Alan Jackson ever named his latest album after one - Freight Train. But Toby was the first.

Maybe he'll start a trend and more of the current Nashville crop will rediscover the treasure trove of Lightfoot tunes.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #11
MistyMoppens

Interesting.. I've listened to contemporary country although have gotten away from it recently. Toby's music/videos can be pretty good at times. Would love to hear him cover "Sundown."
Old 09-27-2010, 07:21 AM   #12
jj

misty, you are in luck - the cover was posted in the thread - see amazon video
Old 09-28-2010, 02:57 AM   #13
MistyMoppens

Quote:
misty, you are in luck - the cover was posted in the thread - see amazon video
Thank you, Friend!

I'm really liking Toby's version of Sundown except something kind of threw me. Aren't the lyrics, "gettin' lost in her lovin' is your first mistake." Because it sounds like Toby is singing "gettin' lost in a woman is your first mistake." hmmm...

I kind of like Toby's cocky attitude. Sort of reminds me of young Gordon. I just like it from a distance! LoL..
Old 10-03-2010, 06:43 PM   #14
charlene

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/04/ar...oice.html?_r=1

“Bullets in the Gun”

(Show Dog/Universal)

You can almost hear the muscle atrophying on “Bullets in the Gun,” the latest from Toby Keith. More than a dozen albums into a career known best for rallying jingoists and for cheeky, not altogether unpleasant smugness, Mr. Keith is finally letting go of old modes. So much for bluster. So much for pride.

“Bullets in the Gun” is his most scattershot album to date, a jumble of attitudes and tactics. Much of the time Mr. Keith, who has been one of the most underappreciated vocal stylists in country music, is singing without conviction on songs that are mere archetypes and lack any of his signature gestures. “Trailerhood” is a lazy song full of backwoods clichés, and “Drive It On Home” toasts the wonders of trucking. On “Somewhere Else,” for perhaps the first time, he delivers syllables in quick, nimble fashion, in the style of Jason Mraz.

The title track, a pumped-up and comically desperate tale of a couple on the lam in Mexico, is slick and almost parodic (“We came to a town with a name I couldn’t spell”), as if from an imagined Marc Shaiman cowboy musical. Worse, apart from “Is That All You Got” — “This old heart didn’t die/It’s been broke by the best” — he’s all but forsaken the gentle big-lug soul he’s been toying with in recent years, which had been a thoughtful, winning strategy against aging. (The deluxe edition of this album includes four tracks recorded live at Irving Plaza in New York in June, including a tender version of Gordon Lightfoot’s “Sundown.”)

In places on the album, though, he’s still preening, and these vestigial moments are welcome. On “Think About You All of the Time” he cockily assures an ex that breaking up with him didn’t release her from his clutches: “If by chance I start romancing/You guessed it/I think about you.” This unbruised, masculine presumptuousness continues on the album closer, “Get Out Of My Car,” a comically loathsome but likable statement of late-night purpose. “Get out of your clothes or get out of my car/Whichever you choose, I’m ready to go,” Mr. Keith sings, loosely referencing the melody of his 2005 single “As Good as I Once Was,” his genial celebration of the body in decline. Don’t keep him up all night: time’s a wastin’. JON CARAMANICA
Old 10-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #15
TC

From what I heard of his cover of Sundown (from the snippet provided by Amazon), it sounded very nice.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #16
charlene

http://www.theboot.com/2010/08/17/to...AOL+Music+News - I guess this clip is rehearsal...
Old 10-04-2010, 08:31 AM   #17
Jim Nasium

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlmagee View Post
Gee, JJ, cut the guy some slack! He's a top country music star, and covers Lightfoot with an arrangement that very much pays tribute to Lightfoot's own, while still being faithful to his own musical style. (Compare this cover with Elwood's for example). Keith is not trying to do a note-for-note rendition, or sound like Lightfoot and the band. I am not trying to convert you into a Toby Keith fan, but the fact that a star of his stature would interpret the song with such a nod to the original is a fine tribute.
Well said, Val, all I ask of a cover version is that the artist treats the song with due respect and does not butcher the thing. Toby Keith meets my criteria here. A nice gentle rendition. JJ if you want to hear the original guitar break, dig out your copy of Sundown.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:31 PM   #18
jj

Quote:
the lead guy here should probably repeat the first solo lick 2x to give the next lick more impact, the way the studio cut is...why stray from a classic solo at all..well, those are my honest first (and probably last) impressions
i can't think how i would revise my offensive post...although i feel my post about the harmonies was a bit overboard and maybe even offensive to some who dig christain rock, if so i am regretful and no harm intended...let's see how that track gets laid down once the boys get through the rehearsal stage...from what i'm reading there will be a few disappointed folks here should the lead guitarist come in earlier an do the signature lick 2x...it's really no big deal to me and in fact, to me, the current solo is the most appealing part of this rehearsal performance...

...i don't expect the harmony or lead vocal will be much different in the more polished live recording...my post did cut him some slack, as you should have seen it before edit

a little honesty goes nowhere, lol... i will have to research the Elwood one cos it sounds like there must have been some disrespect on that...as for why Toby didnt' play Sundown in Toronto to pay respect to the man, does anyone have any insight?

Last edited by jj; 10-04-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:36 PM   #19
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezo View Post
He was the first major Nashville guy to pick up enough on Fred Eaglesmth to actually record one of his songs
that is interesting, fezo...i guess i've not kept up on Fred since Willie P passed but i was quite taken back with the Fred image on Letterman appearance, certainly a bit more eccentric (for lack of better word) than the times i've seen him some time ago playing with the boys...i love his box (it truly is) set

Last edited by jj; 10-04-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:29 PM   #20
charlene

JJ - it wasn't offensive.
You didn't slag Toby Keith personally or anyone who posts here. It was an opinion on a song he did, just like any one else's, including the professional critic whose review I posted.
The critic says it's a tender version...that's why I don't like it.
Angry warnings and tender don't jibe for me.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:52 PM   #21
charlene

for those who like TK - he's everywhere:
http://blog.newsok.com/bamsblog/2010...-tv-this-week/

http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...?docId=4735742

http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...?docId=4735742 - this review calls his version of SUNDOWN - "beautifully menacing"..

sheesh..
Old 10-04-2010, 05:05 PM   #22
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezo View Post
Maybe he'll start a trend and more of the current Nashville crop will rediscover the treasure trove of Lightfoot tunes.
i was trying to find out what the 'angry american' theme was all about and instead stumbled on this
i don't know this fella (but i was impressed with some of his comments in a few interviews i just watched) any more than toby but i guess his cover did some charting last decade...i believe keith urban (i've actually heard of him, pretty talented player) was also playing a 'country' cover of this live last year however that may have only been for the toronto show...country radio up here just spins the actual GL version and if they also did so down south that would probably turn the current crop onto Gord... maybe someone in country music should revive something like hangdog hotel room or if it should please you or one of a pile of other GL tunes that are hidden gems with cover single potential awaiting a refreshed arrangement...i'd prefer mine non-tender... something well-done would be nice
Old 10-05-2010, 06:01 AM   #23
Jim Nasium

The Americans are really angry now, they have just lost the Ryder Cup.

A dodgy connection to the Post, Toby Keith and GL both play golf.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:25 AM   #24
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Nasium View Post
The Americans are really angry now, they have just lost the Ryder Cup.

A dodgy connection to the Post, Toby Keith and GL both play golf.
LOL!!

I don't think GL has golfed in decades..ever since the time he had on jeans and they made him change his pants before starting to play.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:17 AM   #25
charlene

Toby Keith Reloads
Bullets in the Gun best album from country star in a long while
By Heath McCoy, Mike Bell, Eric Volmers, Calgary Herald; Postmedia News October 5, 2010 Review

Toby Keith Bullets In The Gun http://www.calgaryherald.com/enterta...675/story.html

˝ out of five

Toby Keith has almost always been at his best when he's either tipping his hat to two-fisted outlaw country or playing the beer-drinking, skirt-chasing cowboy clown.

He's often overplayed both of those hands, coming across, by turns, as ham-fisted and Hee Haw hokey. But when he nails it, he's a lot better than his detractors -- usually put off by his outspoken libertarian politics and political incorrectness -- give him credit for being.

The burly Oklahoman's latest studio album, Bullets In The Gun -- which finds him stepping up with some of the strongest, most memorable tunes he's recorded in years -- is proof of that.

The album's title track offers an immediate highlight, playing up to Keith's outlaw yen with a tough, well-crafted country rocker which tells the story of a modern day Bonnie and Clyde (here, Bonnie's a stripper), in a standoff with the Mexican police. The roadhouse rocker Drive It On Home makes it in that vein, too, both tunes ideal for burning down the barn in concert.

Keith's always had a strong knack for a catchy, singalong chorus and he hits on one of his best ever with the tuneful Somewhere Else.

That same talent comes into play on the heartachy country ballad In A Couple of Days, which wouldn't be at all out of place on a George Strait album.

As ever, Keith gives vent to his lighthearted side, most notably on the first single, Trailerhood, a cute sounding, Roger Miller-like jingle that salutes the down-to-earth qualities of trailer park living.

The singer's ever present wiseass comes out, too, on Get Out Of My Car. This one may offend some, with the narrator's putout or get-lost ultimatum to his girlfriend, but it is worth noting that, in the end, the classless cad gets shot down. ( "I got out of my clothes/ She got outta my car.")

For those who purchase the deluxe edition of Bullets In The Gun there's also four live cover songs, three of which pinpoint exactly where Keith is coming from at this point in his career.

They include two tunes by the witty Roger Miller (Chug-A-Lug and I've Been A Long Time Leavin') and, another, a rough riding blues rocker originally recorded by outlaw country boy Johnny Paycheck (11 Months and 29 Days). These spotlight Keith's talented Easy Money Band nicely.

Unexpectedly, Keith also breaks out a fine cover of Gordon Lightfoot's dark horse hit Sundown, and while he doesn't quite capture the brooding menace of the original, he does the song justice just the same.

Bullets In The Gun would be an even better album if it was recorded with a bit more grit, minus those tiresome, too-slick Nashville production values, but, nevertheless, it's Keith's best work in a long while.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/enterta...#ixzz11UC8u0QU
Closed Thread