banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 04-22-2004, 07:54 AM   #1
muklucannie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thu, April 22, 2004

Surgery taking a heavy toll: Lightfoot

By JANE STEVENSON, TORONTO SUN

GORDON LIGHTFOOT'S much-anticipated new album, Harmony, hits record stores on May 11. But, health-wise, it's not quite harmonious yet for the beloved Orillia native whose recovery from his life-threatening stomach aneurysm in September 2002 continues.

Lightfoot underwent his third major surgery, what he refers to as "the big one," back in February. It required him to stay in the hospital for about 20 days.

"They do muscle fibre grafts from your legs to reconstruct your abdomen with," Lightfoot told The Sun yesterday afternoon.

"I'm doing good. We're dealing with a couple of problems right now regarding the legs, but I've good doctors, I've got a real good doctor over in Hamilton. I've had lots of blood clots. This is all having to do with all the incisions that they have to make to get the muscle out of your leg. These are like a pocket and this pocket fills with fluid -- and we can take out two litres with no problem."

In fact, the 65-year-old musician was in the hospital as recently as yesterday morning.

"As a matter of fact, I had to go over there at 1 o'clock in the morning, if you can believe that, and we didn't get back until 6 a.m. I had a reaction to a catheter that they tried."

Lightfoot said he's had a few minor surgeries since his February operation, but doesn't anticipate going under the knife again in a major way.

"Well, you know, I almost died and the doctors had to do a lot of things to me as a result, and the normal recovery period is two years. So I'm up to 19 months now."

muklucannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:54 AM   #2
Char1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thu, April 22, 2004

Surgery taking a heavy toll: Lightfoot

By JANE STEVENSON, TORONTO SUN

GORDON LIGHTFOOT'S much-anticipated new album, Harmony, hits record stores on May 11. But, health-wise, it's not quite harmonious yet for the beloved Orillia native whose recovery from his life-threatening stomach aneurysm in September 2002 continues.

Lightfoot underwent his third major surgery, what he refers to as "the big one," back in February. It required him to stay in the hospital for about 20 days.

"They do muscle fibre grafts from your legs to reconstruct your abdomen with," Lightfoot told The Sun yesterday afternoon.

"I'm doing good. We're dealing with a couple of problems right now regarding the legs, but I've good doctors, I've got a real good doctor over in Hamilton. I've had lots of blood clots. This is all having to do with all the incisions that they have to make to get the muscle out of your leg. These are like a pocket and this pocket fills with fluid -- and we can take out two litres with no problem."

In fact, the 65-year-old musician was in the hospital as recently as yesterday morning.

"As a matter of fact, I had to go over there at 1 o'clock in the morning, if you can believe that, and we didn't get back until 6 a.m. I had a reaction to a catheter that they tried."

Lightfoot said he's had a few minor surgeries since his February operation, but doesn't anticipate going under the knife again in a major way.

"Well, you know, I almost died and the doctors had to do a lot of things to me as a result, and the normal recovery period is two years. So I'm up to 19 months now."

Char1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:12 AM   #3
mtheeb

Seems I continue to underestimate the extent and the seriousness of Lightfoot's ailment. Not being privy to every detail, combined with his steadfast optimism, shields much of the harsh reality. It's quite amazing that he's even pondering a return to the stage, let alone planning it, should all go well. And knowing what he's been up against will make the new album even more special.
mtheeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:12 AM   #4
Restless

Seems I continue to underestimate the extent and the seriousness of Lightfoot's ailment. Not being privy to every detail, combined with his steadfast optimism, shields much of the harsh reality. It's quite amazing that he's even pondering a return to the stage, let alone planning it, should all go well. And knowing what he's been up against will make the new album even more special.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:32 AM   #5
Auburn Annie

Out, out damned clot!

Seriously, folks, that's neither unexpected nor a minor trifle. His doctors probably are trying to find the right level of anticoagulant to protect against clots but not increase the risk of bleeding. He's probably referring to lymphatic fluids that need draining. So far, though, he's had superb medical care. Now he needs to get the blood clotting and lymph drainage under control over the next few months as things heal and he should (God willing) be good to go.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:32 AM   #6
Auburn Annie

Out, out damned clot!

Seriously, folks, that's neither unexpected nor a minor trifle. His doctors probably are trying to find the right level of anticoagulant to protect against clots but not increase the risk of bleeding. He's probably referring to lymphatic fluids that need draining. So far, though, he's had superb medical care. Now he needs to get the blood clotting and lymph drainage under control over the next few months as things heal and he should (God willing) be good to go.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:28 PM   #7
DMD3

Only 5 more months to go.

Old 04-22-2004, 12:28 PM   #8
DMD3

Only 5 more months to go.

Old 04-22-2004, 12:30 PM   #9
Rosanna

I have to agree with Annie. One would assume GL is receiving the best medical care this
country has to offer. And it seems to me
he has been through far too much in his
life to allow this to hold him down, no
matter how serious it still may be. Do
you suppose we may hear a song someday
out of Gordon about his medical battle?
Thoughts and prayers with Gord. Later

Doug
Rosanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:30 PM   #10
Doug Letcher

I have to agree with Annie. One would assume GL is receiving the best medical care this
country has to offer. And it seems to me
he has been through far too much in his
life to allow this to hold him down, no
matter how serious it still may be. Do
you suppose we may hear a song someday
out of Gordon about his medical battle?
Thoughts and prayers with Gord. Later

Doug
Doug Letcher is offline   Reply With Quote