banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 09:31 PM   #1
Peter Bro10

Default Aurora IL Sept 16 07

Just a quick post here following last night's performance.
A great venue. very nice seats. great audience. even greater performers!
Met fellow corfidian Tim and his family. Gord fans are the best!
Gord was in good spirits... seemed to be genuinely enjoying himself. The man in absolutely in his element on stage, guitar in hand.
Gord said they were planning on touring again in '08', and seemed to suggest he'd like to return to the Paramount ( I sure hope so!!!)
The set list seemed pretty typical.... could use some more of the newer material, but I enjoyed them all.
The only two sour notes (no pun intended) was that I had a security dude about an arms length away from me the whole time, so I had to be extra cautious about taking pictures. consequently, they turned out really bad. The other bummer was the show was over way too soon! Time flies when you're having a good time...

Anyone with good pictures from last night please post them here!! set list?

In the final anyalsis, an excellent evening well worth every penny and all the effort to get there!!!! I'd do it again in a heart beat!

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:02 AM   #2
Yuri

Default Re: Aurora IL Sept 16 07

Thanks for the post Peter - would like to hear more! Glad that Gord intends to tour again next year. The man certainly has energy so let's pray for continuing good health.

Yuri
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:29 AM   #3
Tim

Hi friends!
Yes, my family and I were there. We really enjoyed meeting Peter. I was considering an airborne attack on Peter with wadded up paper napkins, but I was afraid of the same security guard lurking over us. Kind of like having to do your school work with the teacher in the room. I also met another Corfid fan, Steve. He drove up from St. Louis like we did. You know you are meeting friends when you meet other friends.

Anyway, I have some things to post, and will do so when I get time. It was a great experience and it ended up being well worth the 4.5 hour drive, and taking the kids out of school for a day. I may need some counseling on how to upload pictures, I have some good ones -- not of the show itself (due to that same security guard) but from the "backstage door."

Post will appear when I get some time. Pics will appear when I get some remedial training on how to do that.

Thanks & stand by for more ...............
Old 09-18-2007, 07:35 PM   #4
Peter Bro10

Hey Tim, Sir John has a great tutorial on posting pictures posted here somewhere on corfid (maybe someone could post a link... hint, hint), that I printed out and followed without a hitch! Really quite simple once you get the hang of it. But if you're going to tell of meeting Gord and the guys.... again, Well I'll just be green with envy!!! My party and I couldn't hang around after the show.
I'll look forward to reading your comments and checking out your pictures as well.

Peter Bro10
Old 09-18-2007, 10:03 PM   #5
Tim

Just to get the setlist out there, here is what I recorded for the Sept 16 Aurora performance:

----------------------------
Triangle
Cotton Jenny
14 Carot Gold
Never Too Close
A Painter Passing Through
In My Fashion
Rainy Day PeopleBeautiful
Carefree Highway
Hangdog Hotel Room
Ribbon of Darkness
Sundown
Watchman's Gone

Intermission

Wreck of the Edmund FitzgeraldAlberta Bound
Don Quixote
Clouds of Lonliness
Waiting For You
Ring Them Bells
If You Could Read My Mind
Baby Step BackRestless
Canadian Railroad Trilogy
Encore
Old Dan's Records

---------------------------
More to follow
Old 09-19-2007, 12:55 PM   #6
imported_Next_Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Just to get the setlist out there, here is what I recorded for the Sept 16 Aurora performance:

----------------------------

14 Carot Gold

---------------------------
More to follow

This was the version co-written with Mel Blanc and used by Woody Allen in the movie, "What's Up Doc?"
imported_Next_Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:15 PM   #7
Kathy Number Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Next_Saturday View Post
This was the version co-written with Mel Blanc and used by Woody Allen in the movie, "What's Up Doc?"
GOOD ONE, "INS"!!!!
Old 09-19-2007, 09:35 PM   #8
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Thanks for posting guys. Can't wait to see the pictures. Some of us can help if you need it and John and Char are experts.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:36 PM   #9
imported_Ordinary_Man

Hi Tim....this is Steve who met you after the show.....you left out "Shadows" which came between Rainy Day People and Beautiful.
And on that "carot" thing.... at least you had the number right...on MY notes I had written '24' Karat Gold; must have been trying for an upgrade.

Now, can anyone tell me how I went from being "Ordinary_Man" to "imported_Ordinary_Man" on this forum?

I'm not imported, I'm domesticated!

Best regards,
Steve
imported_Ordinary_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:55 PM   #10
Kathy Number Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Ordinary_Man View Post
Now, can anyone tell me how I went from being "Ordinary_Man" to "imported_Ordinary_Man" on this forum?

Looks like the same thing happened to "Next_Saturday"
Old 09-20-2007, 02:51 PM   #11
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Ordinary_Man View Post

Best regards,
Steve
No doubt there is a method hidden within your profile to change "imported" to "exported" or even "important"??
my tutorial is now somewhat out of date but it was last posted in an old topic ar:-
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread...ighlight=quick
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:56 PM   #12
Peter Bro10

While we're waiting for Tim and his pictures to get posted, I am amused that this post has only 10 replys, while a certain other post pertaining to the following show in a certain city well know for it's beer brewing.... got 47 reply's!!!! because some malcontent got a bug up his.... I won't dignify that thead with a reply.

Well, maybe if he had visited us here sooner he would have known better, and a more deserving person could have those seats. Ah, but I digress yet again!
It's the same old story, bad news sells!
And true to form, corfidians just can't stay on topic...lol!!! Half the replys here don't pertain to the topic either! come on guys, Focus!

I for one enjoy Gord's work, thin voice and all! and I'd like to mention his band as well. It seems too often that we forgot the guys in the band. They didn't seem to be having as good a time in Aurora. I figured that maybe they had a late arrival, or some other thing that took their edge off. Nevertheless, they played extremely well.
Truly, my only regret for the evening was that I wasn't able to hang around after the show! So I'm content to wait for Tim's pictures and his write up. Seems he has a knack for writing, that I do not.... so we wait....

A side note to those who have been to the Paramount in the past but not this year: It's new lobby facility is complete, and very, very nice indeed! I'd recommend this venue to anyone.... The new lobby consists of a new box office, gift shop, coat room, restroom, and cafe.

Peter Bro10
Old 09-21-2007, 07:57 PM   #13
brink-

Did Florian change the rules and we now have to focus?
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:17 PM   #14
Peter Bro10

rules? who said anything about rules?
we have no rules!!! we don't need no stinking rules! Or was it badges?

you see, I digress once again.

Peter Bro10
Old 09-21-2007, 08:27 PM   #15
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Bro10 View Post
While we're waiting for Tim and his pictures to get posted, I am amused that this post has only 10 replys, while a certain other post pertaining to the following show in a certain city well know for it's beer brewing.... got 47 reply's!!!! because some malcontent got a bug up his.... I won't dignify that thead with a reply.

Well, maybe if he had visited us here sooner he would have known better, and a more deserving person could have those seats. Ah, but I digress yet again!
It's the same old story, bad news sells!
And true to form, corfidians just can't stay on topic...lol!!! Half the replys here don't pertain to the topic either! come on guys, Focus!

I for one enjoy Gord's work, thin voice and all! and I'd like to mention his band as well. It seems too often that we forgot the guys in the band. They didn't seem to be having as good a time in Aurora. I figured that maybe they had a late arrival, or some other thing that took their edge off. Nevertheless, they played extremely well.
Truly, my only regret for the evening was that I wasn't able to hang around after the show! So I'm content to wait for Tim's pictures and his write up. Seems he has a knack for writing, that I do not.... so we wait....

A side note to those who have been to the Paramount in the past but not this year: It's new lobby facility is complete, and very, very nice indeed! I'd recommend this venue to anyone.... The new lobby consists of a new box office, gift shop, coat room, restroom, and cafe.
The Paramount is a beautiful, historic structure/theatre and I very much enjoyed++++ the performance by Lightfoot and the band. Before the show, during intermission and when the show ended, I spoke with several nice people -who like me are forever fans who adore, appreciate and enjoy+++ the music and the man both past and present.

I had also attended the performance at Meadow Brook in Michigan the evening before and must admit that I had a much better time as it was the 1st time having front row seats for a Lightfoot show. THAT was simply AMAZING!!!!! I have several pics I'll post later (no flash or professional cameras were allowed...so they're not the greatest).

Pam
Old 09-22-2007, 02:56 AM   #16
Tim

I’d like to keep my thoughts on Peter’s thread, if for no other reason than to try to equalize the number of posts from the Milwaukee performance.

Last weekend my family and I drove from St. Louis up to Aurora (near Chicago) to see Gordon play again. It is about the same distance as St. Louis to Kansas City, where we saw him last. Both trips lasted about 4.5 hours, allowing us, during the drive, to play the “Songbook” box set in its entirety from start to finish. Therefore, my family came up with a new criteria to decide if a Gordon concert is within our range. We decided that if Gord is within “Songbook Proximity” then we’re in. That goes for next year, and the year after that, and the year after that.

After my son lucked into meeting Gordon after the Kansas City concert a few months ago, my 12 year old daughter was crushed because she missed out. She so much wanted to meet Gordon. That was the main reason why I got on the phone in July and ordered tickets to the Aurora concert the day they went on sale to the general public. I decided that I was going to give this a try, even though her getting to meet Gordon was not a sure thing.

Everything you heard about the Aurora Paramount Theater is true, an absolutely gorgeous setting. We arrived about 25 minutes before the show was to begin. My daughter wrote a note to Gordon and attached a picture of herself and her kitten. This is a pure white kitten she got a couple months ago which she named “Cotton Jenny.” In her handwritten note, Angela explained how the kitten got that name and requested “Cotton Jenny.” I saw this as an excellent way to make the connection between my daughter and Gordon.

When I got to the stage I noticed the concert setup was complete with Gordon’s microphone stand in the center. I wanted to place Angela’s note right next to the microphone stand so that Gord would see it, or at least a stage hand would retrieve it just before the performance and give it to Gord. However, this stage had an additional wooden extension that projected out toward the audience so far that while standing in the center aisle I couldn’t come within 6 feet of the microphone stand with my daughter’s letter. I very politely asked the nearby security guard (the same one that Peter was so fond of) if I could just step on stage for a very brief moment to place my daughter’s message next to the microphone stand. This guy must have had ice water in his veins – he replied that I “could not go up on the stage under any circumstances.” I wanted to confront this guy for being such a jerk for not permitting such a harmless act that no doubt would have brought a great deal of pleasure to Gordon.

My 14 year old son, looking out for his baby sister asked the security guard point-blank: “Then could you put the note up there, please?” The guard’s reply was just to give my son an icy stare and say nothing.

While I should have simply walked up on the stage to drop my daughter’s note off, I decided not to risk arrest. I walked over to the center aisle and leaned as far as I could placing the note about 6 feet from the microphone stand. That was the best I could do. Unfortunately, the beautiful note was never picked up by Gordon’s stage crew before the show, and I don’t think Gord even noticed it in the dark. However, we lost that battle, but didn’t lose the war in the end.

Just prior to the show, I chatted with my family and also to other fans around us. I had the great pleasure of meeting Peter during the minutes before the show. Others asked me about the T-Shirt I was wearing. It was the maroon “Painter Passing Through” T-Shirt from the 2001 Massey excursion. I briefly explained about this internet group that gets together in Toronto about every 18 months and someone in the group usually offers to get T-shirts made up for the group and then sells them just to recover the costs. I got a lot of “I’ve got to check out this newsgroup” comments.

A few minutes after 7 o’clock the lights go down and the guys walk out to take their places. I always loved seeing that. Gordon has the greatest band, such classy gentlemen. It also means the one individual who I consider to be one of the world’s greatest composers, is about to take the stage. When the applause gets noticeably louder at Gord’s entrance, I can’t help but smile. A real treat is about to begin.

While not dissecting every moment of this concert, I will say that I thought Gordon’s voice to be pretty good. I heard reports from the previous night of the cold night at the Rochester, Michigan performance the night before and the possible ill effects it might have brought to this show. To my delight, that would not come to pass. Gordon’s voice was in decent form. I was at the Kansas City concert in late June and I honestly believe that his voice was better this time around. He hit more of the high notes on songs like “A Painter Passing Through” and “Never Too Close.” On “Canadian Railroad Trilogy.” which he did not perform at Kansas City, he also hit most of the high notes that he has opted out of in the recent past.

The show was thoroughly enjoyable. Gord mentioned a couple of times how happy he was to be back in Aurora, the second consecutive year he has played there. The audience was clearly receptive of his performance. It may have been a little more subdued than the Kansas City audience in certain ways. For instance, there were no spontaneous bursts of applause during some of Terry’s guitar work (like on Sundown or CRT) that often happened at other concerts. But the audience was very appreciative.

The setlist posted earlier contained most of the usuals. For me, one surprise was “Ring Them Bells” which I thought was very well done. Prior to “Clouds of Lonliness” he mentioned that it was written in 2001 for “my second ex old lady.” Before “Canadian Railroad Trilogy” he discussed that he was now on a stamp in Canada and could “travel all over the world while staying at home.” That got a good laugh from the audience. I was pleased that he played “Canadian Railroad Trilogy.” His voice was up to it and he opted to sing more of the high notes than I expected, and he sang them well. This song always moves me because of the great synergy of the accomplished band during this performance. The blend of the guitars, bass, keyboard and percussion on these live performances are something I will always appreciate.

After a very spirited “Old Dan’s Records” encore, it’s over. I hate it when it’s over. But is it really over? I decided to make the drive all the way up from St. Louis to give my daughter an opportunity to meet the greatest composer in the world today. Shortly after the lights come up, I see a line forming along the side of the theater near a door leading backstage. Will this be my chance to come through for my daughter? Or will it be a disappointing setback?
Old 09-22-2007, 10:00 AM   #17
Peter Bro10

and???????????

is this a dramatic pause or technical difficulty???

and we wait, yet again, with bated breath!

Oh, I get it! a Paul Harvey moment. "And in a moment you'll hear the rest of the story..." Any of you not knowing who Paul Harvey is might be scratching your heads in wonder. He is (or at least I think he's still with us) a radio "reporter" who would intro a story with an enticing lead and then, after a brief commercial break, would finish the story with "And now for the rest of the story".

A brief correction note here:

QUOTE "The show was thoroughly enjoyable. Gord mentioned a couple of times how happy he was to be back in Aurora, the second consecutive year he has played there. END QUOTE

It should read third consecutive year. And I'll also mention that I think many of us restrained our applause at many times so that we wouldn't miss any of the music or what Gordon was saying between songs. Lack of applause isn't necessarily lack of appreciation.

Peter Bro10
Old 09-23-2007, 03:45 PM   #18
Tim

Every time a Gordon concert ends, the memories start to settle in. The songs he sang, the remarks he made between tunes, the gorgeous sound of the acoustic guitars and a band that is always spot-on with their pleasing blend of guitar, keyboard, bass and percussion …. After the Aurora performance on Sept 16th, it’s another concert to file away for the ages.

This time I hoped for some more memories. One of my missions was to get my daughter to meet Gordon. Angela is 12 years old, is now playing the cello has developed a real appreciation for Gordon’s music. A few months ago in Kansas City, her older brother got to meet Gordon because of a fluke accident of forgetting his shirt at the concert hall. When we raced back to get the shirt we fell into an opportunity to meet Gord as he left the Uptown Theater. Angela missed out that I promised her that we’d give it our best shot at the next opportunity. The next concert within “Songbook Proximity” was in Aurora. A long drive, an overnight stay in a hotel, and a day out of school for the kids, but it would be well worth it. Our entire family would benefit from a truly fine performance, and we would give it our best shot to meet Gordon after the show.

After this concert, I noticed a line of about 20 people forming at the right side of the theater. I quickly gathered up our family and joined the line. A woman who was checking credentials & confirming names against a prepared list that she was holding. My heart sank. I knew that my family’s name was not on this special list that she was clutching. When she came to me, I simply told her that we drove all the way up from St. Louis and that my 12 year old daughter really wanted to meet Gordon. Although her demeanor was pleasant, she was also unyielding. “I’m sorry sir; you’ll have to leave the line.”

At about this time, I noticed Barry Harvey near the front of the line, standing at the door where the line was forming. That was my next shot. I went up to him, shook his hand and told him that my son and I met him and Gordon in Kansas City a couple months back. I then asked him if there was any chance I could get my 12 year old daughter back to meet Gord. Barry simply said “I’m sorry; there is nothing I can do.” Then he added that the “…guys were flying back to Toronto tonight.”

Reading between the lines, I knew that Barry was trying to minimize the delays and distractions that might interfere with Gordon getting on the plane and getting home.
I recognized the clash taking place: In my life, the happiness of my daughter rested significantly on the chance to meet Gord and Barry’s job was to minimize the speed bumps that would slow Gordon and his entourage’s journey back home to Toronto. I guess we were one of those speed bumps.

My family and I reluctantly walked away, as we were dealt another setback. You can imagine my sweet daughter’s look of disappointment. As we left the theater I told her that we were down to our last chance. Our only alternative was to find the back of the theater and hope that we could luck into meeting Gord the way my son and I did a few months ago. Fortunately, the elements were cooperating. It was a perfectly pleasant, calm, clear night. Plus I had the entire family that wanted to wait it out. And I also knew the best thing going for us was Gord’s kind nature.

Next post coming shortly........
Old 09-23-2007, 03:49 PM   #19
Tim

Continued .................

We walked around the block and found the backstage door. There was another familiar sight that I always liked to see: the white semi tractor-trailer backed up against the loading dock area, and a couple of rental cars. There were probably about a dozen people out there, of which about 4 were security or theater personnel and about 8 other fans like us. The size of our proletariat group was small compared to the elitist line of people that got to visit with him inside after the show. (that’s a little tongue in cheek humor, I’m not a Marxist, honest!) but we were determined.

One of the first things I noticed in the parking lot behind the theater was Peter’s good friend …… the same security guard. He seemed marginally friendlier. I did take the time to gently needle him by saying: “all I wanted to do was to place my daughter’s note next to the microphone.” But then I quickly added “But I know you were only doing your job.” I felt I had to add that last concession because he might have had the power to keep us from meeting Gordon. The wait was over an hour, and during that time, the crowd dwindled down to our family of four and another gentleman who had been a fan for many years. He had a 45 RPM record of the single “Sundown” that he wanted Gord to sign.

Trivia break: What song was on the flip side of the original “Sundown” 45 RPM?

There was another security guard, a young lady who was as sweet as could be. She took the time to talk to us and really helped to make this night a memorable one, especially for my son Tim.

Tim has been playing the guitar for several months now. He listens to Gord’s music all the time, he watches the PBS DVD frequently to zero in on what Terry Clements is doing on any given song. While Tim is near the loading dock, where we see the staff loading the equipment into the truck, he starts to chat with a gentleman who I later learned is Gord’s truck driver (Bill). Another coincidence. Remember the song “Long Thin Dawn?” There was reference to a truck driver in that song whose name was also “Bill.” Well, Bill seemed quite taken with Tim. Anyway, during this talk, we notice the unmistakable figure of Terry inside the building passing by the loading dock door. But in a flash he was gone before we could get Tim’s attention to notice him.

However, several minutes later, a figure comes out of a more distant door. I see that it is Terry. I asked the security guard if we could go over to that area to meet him. She not only seemed agreeable, she led us in that direction. But just at that time, Terry retreated back into the building. I had the feeling maybe he was not in the mood to talk to anyone. We head back to the main door where the security guard (the friendly one) told us that Gord would be coming out of. We wait a bit longer, then Terry emerged from the other door again, perhaps to take a smoke break. This time, the lady security guard went over to Terry by herself and asked if we could speak with him. Then she motioned us over.

We all greeted Terry with smiles and handshakes. I thanked him for touring with Gord all these years and providing his phenomenal talents to his albums and concerts. He was very modest. Then I noticed Tim wasn’t saying anything. He was standing there with his mouth wide open and muttered something like “Oh my gosh, I can’t believe I’m meeting you!”

“Terry, this is my son Tim. He’s been playing the guitar and is a great admirer of you.”

Terry brightened and began to chat with Tim. Tim quickly overcame his loss for words and began to ask him how he plays certain leads on certain songs like “Waiting for You,” “Old Dan’s Records,” and “Endless Wire.” Terry explained the chord structure of certain songs, used the “air guitar” method and actually hummed the measures to which he was referring to.

I had a notebook with me and Tim quickly commands me to “Write this down! Write this down!” Terry chuckled. I think he was taken by young Tim’s exuberance.

When I could get a word in edge-wise, I asked Terry what music he liked to play when he was not out on the road with Gord. He indicated he likes a variety of music, specifically mentioning country and classical. He talked about the classical guitar, so I think he enjoys that genre of music quite a bit when he is relaxing. Then he says to Tim “I’ve been playing guitar for 55 years and I found out that the more you learn, the more you don’t know.”

Tim, always noticing subtle details asked Terry about the guitar he used tonight. I noticed that it was not his typical Martin D-18 that he had been using at most appearances. Terry said that is was a special hand-made guitar by a gentleman who had since passed away. He uses it now to get a slightly different acoustic sound from Gordon’s. We tell him that the guitar sure sounded great to us in the theater1

I told Terry that my daughter Angela plays the cello, to which he was very pleased to hear. He told her that it’s a great instrument to play, and encouraged her to keep at it. I asked Terry if he wouldn’t mind us taking some pictures, to which he gladly obliged. He snapped one with him and each of my kids.

Then there was some activity at the main door. We thanked Terry and moved back over there. It wasn’t long before Mike, Rick, and Barry Keane emerged. We greeted them warmly. Tim mentioned something unique and complementary to each band member: to Rick, it was how much he loved his bass on “Early Morning Rain;” to Mike it was how he enjoyed his keyboard on “O-D-R.” Mike chuckled that Tim new the songs so well he was using initials to identify them, and he thanked Tim. We had a special connection to Barry, because Tim wrote to him about 9 years ago, and Barry remembered that. About a year after that we were fortunate enough to meet Barry and the band. When I brought this up to Barry, he not only remembered that we were living in New Jersey when we met him about 7 years ago, he remembered Tim’s first and last name!! We were floored by that. We got individual pictures of Terry & Barry with the kids. I told each of them how many of Gordon’s fans also appreciated their dedication to Gord and coming out on tour year after year. They all said that they were happy to do it and were looking forward to next year!

Then Gordon came out. We approached him, thanked him for a really good performance and I reintroduced him to my wife and kids. It was my daughter that spent the most time with Gordon this time … she told him how happy she was to meet him and that she met him 7 years before (7 years is a long time to a 12 year old). Gordon thanked her for coming out and asked where it was she met him last. She replied that it was in New York. I added that it was in Purchase, New York in March of 2000, on the tour that was gearing up for the PBS Special concert in Reno. He seemed to remember that. Both my kids thanked him and he very happily agreed to pose in a photo with both of them.

The kids are very drawn to Gordon’s music. I know I can only take credit for introducing Gordon’s music to them, but the fact that they love Gordon’s music is all up to them. My kids both told him how great they thought he was. Sensitive to the fact that Gord and entourage were trying to get to the airport and on a plane back to Toronto, we bid them good night. Just as we were leaving, Terry approached Tim and held up a Dunlop Guitar pick and recommended that he try them out. As Tim looked at the pick that Terry was holding, just to get the brand name, Terry handed it to him. “Here you go” he said.

Again, Tim was floored, and also speechless. We thanked him and the entire band. As the cars pulled out of the theater they all gave a friendly wave, they turned the corner and then were gone.

Another set of memories recorded for a lifetime. We are all drawn to Gordon’s music for many reasons but I think most of us agree there is a goodness to the man, and his work. He has given much more to this world than he has taken and we are all the better for it.

My kids are already watching for next year’s tour schedule and if Gordon and band come within “Songbook’s Proximity” to us, we are sure to be there. Who knows, some or all of us may get on a plane to Toronto if the Massey dates work into our schedule.

Thanks for listening, my apologies for the lengthy post. I attempted to upload a picture from that memorable time but I don't know if it worked. But, this story is all true, Honest !!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gord and Tim & Angela(sm).jpg
Views:	583
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	220  
Old 09-23-2007, 04:10 PM   #20
Dream Street Rose

Tim,

How special for you and your whole family to have done all this together. For me, the length of your post is perfect. You are a wonderful writer and I look forward to reading about your adventures next year.

As I have stated before, Gordon, Barry Harvey and all the men in the orchestra are wonderful. They are kind caring and very talented people. I think the world is a much better place because they are in it.

Thank you for taking the time to write all this down and posting that wonderful picture.

DSR
Old 09-23-2007, 04:47 PM   #21
Tim

Here are two more pics. Thanks to Peter for the technical help in getting these posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tim & Terry_sm_RE1.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	325.6 KB
ID:	221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Barry_Tim%26Angela_sm[pete].jpg
Views:	544
Size:	319.2 KB
ID:	222  
Old 09-23-2007, 06:54 PM   #22
Moosedog

Great story, great pictures! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Vickie
Moosedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:25 PM   #23
Peter Bro10

Well Tim, it was worth the wait! and then some. I hung on every line.
What an awesome story and pictures to boot! To say I'm happy for you would be a huge understatement.
Thanks for taking the time to put it all down.
Only question remains, how are you going to top this one???

Peter Bro10
Old 09-23-2007, 08:42 PM   #24
Tim

Trivia break: What song was on the flip side of the original “Sundown” 45 RPM?

Does anybody remember? (those old enough)
Old 09-23-2007, 10:19 PM   #25
charlene

Great stuff !! Your perserverance is admirable!
I'm so thrilled for your kids. It's an incredible feeling to see your kids meet such fabulous artists and know that the memories will last forever for them. As parents we want the best or our kids and it really doesn't get much better than meeting someone like Gordon Lightfoot and the members of his band.
Try to make it to Toronto..the kids will love The Church of Gord on Shuter St., the CN Tower, the Skydome, AGO, ROM, etc. the harbourfront area, lots of stuff that's almost as great as a Lightfoot concert at Massey Hall!
It looks like it was really cold-Gord's got on 4 layers of tops/shirts/jackets.lol
I'm glad he's back hom here in Toronto now..it's ben unseasonaby hot and will continue all week so he can warm up and rest up..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote