banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2004, 09:21 PM   #1
CoryM

Myself ...I would not download any songs from GL that way. I have downloaded songs from a few different bands in the past, but they were all the same songs that were on the records and tapes that I had when I was much younger, that had just worn out. I figured, as long as I had bought the music at one time I was morally justified. Now that they are getting these websites set up where we can actually buy the downloads 1 song at a time , I prefer to do that. The courts in Canada have sided with the privacy rights of the file sharers, over the Recording Companies. The recording companies are trying to find out from Internet Service Providers the actual identities of the screen names who are downloading alot of free music files. The courts in Canada have denied the recording companies access to that information. I am thinking that the whole idea of file sharing should be illegal, because many people are just taking artists songs without ever having purchased them for themselves in the past. I wonder what would happen if the USA in a round about way ( like Canada) made file sharing legal. Would there be alot less quality in recording? Would the day of the Superstars of the music world getting rich from the royalties received from cds that have been sold be over? I have heard some musicians say this is a good thing (file sharing), but it seemed to me that most of them were the underdogs anyway, that just wanted more popularity for their live performances. Maybe they are hoping that by the time they make it big... that technology in recording will have a way to stop copying...or do they already have methods? I dont think they do in digital recording (or they would certainly be using it). Will the dream of the riches of Superstardom die one day with file sharing?

------------------
knightmoves
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 09:21 PM   #2
knightmoves

Myself ...I would not download any songs from GL that way. I have downloaded songs from a few different bands in the past, but they were all the same songs that were on the records and tapes that I had when I was much younger, that had just worn out. I figured, as long as I had bought the music at one time I was morally justified. Now that they are getting these websites set up where we can actually buy the downloads 1 song at a time , I prefer to do that. The courts in Canada have sided with the privacy rights of the file sharers, over the Recording Companies. The recording companies are trying to find out from Internet Service Providers the actual identities of the screen names who are downloading alot of free music files. The courts in Canada have denied the recording companies access to that information. I am thinking that the whole idea of file sharing should be illegal, because many people are just taking artists songs without ever having purchased them for themselves in the past. I wonder what would happen if the USA in a round about way ( like Canada) made file sharing legal. Would there be alot less quality in recording? Would the day of the Superstars of the music world getting rich from the royalties received from cds that have been sold be over? I have heard some musicians say this is a good thing (file sharing), but it seemed to me that most of them were the underdogs anyway, that just wanted more popularity for their live performances. Maybe they are hoping that by the time they make it big... that technology in recording will have a way to stop copying...or do they already have methods? I dont think they do in digital recording (or they would certainly be using it). Will the dream of the riches of Superstardom die one day with file sharing?

------------------
knightmoves
knightmoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 02:58 AM   #3
Borderstone

Except for the few rarity items I've mentioned not having and his new one due out less than a monthh now,I have all of his stuff. I see no need to bother with downloading.
I come from,basically,the last generation that gets all their music at record stores. I still like the idea of going out and actually having the music "in hand". There's just no changing that. Been me,later!

------------------
Borderstone,gonna post some lines tonight!:D
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 04:33 PM   #4
joveski

before the final came out i'd downlaoded all the albums from napster when it was alive and well cause i had a shitty soundcard and couldn't convert my own vinyl copies properly.. aprt from that i haven't downlaoded any gord tunes... (i trade live shows instead!)
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 11:49 AM   #5
ricky Jay

No, I wouldn't.

[This message has been edited by Shazia (edited April 14, 2004).]
ricky Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 11:49 AM   #6
Shazia

No, I wouldn't.

[This message has been edited by Shazia (edited April 14, 2004).]
Shazia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 12:53 PM   #7
jeffyjo

Napster and Audiogalaxy are how I got exposed to Gord's music, back in the golden age of filesharing.

Now I own every single one of his CDs. Same for Tom Waits, Johnny Cash, and a number of other artists you wouldn't expect the typical 24 year old to be into. In fact, I wouldn't own half the CDs I do (700+) if it wasn't for being able to listen to the songs for free first.

The record industry doesn't seem to understand that there's millions of people like me. They are shooting themselves in the foot with their war against filesharing.
jeffyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 12:53 PM   #8
Cyaneyes

Napster and Audiogalaxy are how I got exposed to Gord's music, back in the golden age of filesharing.

Now I own every single one of his CDs. Same for Tom Waits, Johnny Cash, and a number of other artists you wouldn't expect the typical 24 year old to be into. In fact, I wouldn't own half the CDs I do (700+) if it wasn't for being able to listen to the songs for free first.

The record industry doesn't seem to understand that there's millions of people like me. They are shooting themselves in the foot with their war against filesharing.
Cyaneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 01:11 PM   #9
Rosanna

quote:Originally posted by Cyaneyes:

Well said.
Rosanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 01:11 PM   #10
Doug Letcher

Well said.
Doug Letcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 04:04 PM   #11
rainydayperson

nope
rainydayperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 04:04 PM   #12
classicmixdj

nope
classicmixdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:36 PM   #13
CoryM

Very interesting...thank you for your input.

------------------
knightmoves
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:36 PM   #14
knightmoves

Very interesting...thank you for your input.

------------------
knightmoves
knightmoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 06:43 PM   #15
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Amen to that.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com

Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 07:09 PM   #16
SomewhereupinMichigan

quote:Originally posted by Cathy:
Amen to that.

Hmmm...Cathy..., speaking of which, when is your CD going to be available?
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 05:33 PM   #17
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

quote:Originally posted by SomewhereupinMichigan:

Hmmm...Cathy..., speaking of which, when is your CD going to be available?

Hopefully early this summer. It took longer to get the master from Grant Avenue than I expected, and right now Mom is painting a picture that I want to use on the CD case. I'm still involved in licensing and all that fun stuff. I've made clips for my website, but want to wait for the licensing to come through first. I don't want EMP to sass me for having illegal clips.
Well, come to think of it.... I already have a bunch of GL covers up there, but not from my CD. I guess if they were going to sass me, they'd have done it by now.
Bob Doidge did highstring guitar, lead guitar, lap steel, accordion, drums and bass on my CD.
Here's a little preview for you, two songs, but not by Lightfoot.
http://cathycowette.com/1209/cono.html

[This message has been edited by Cathy (edited April 16, 2004).]
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote