banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 10-27-2005, 04:09 PM   #1
Anna Lightfoot

Hi. Just to let World and UK fans know about a two part Canadian special on Radio 2. first part 29/10 8.30pm. www.bbc.co.uk/radio2 The trailers aired have Gord singing in the background so would expect him to play a(big?)part in programme. Its host is Bob Harris.
Anna Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 04:09 PM   #2
The Gypsy

Hi. Just to let World and UK fans know about a two part Canadian special on Radio 2. first part 29/10 8.30pm. www.bbc.co.uk/radio2 The trailers aired have Gord singing in the background so would expect him to play a(big?)part in programme. Its host is Bob Harris.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:26 PM   #3
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Thank you for the head's up. This looks like an interesting show. There is a brief description here. The photo is of Leonard Cohen, and there is a long profile of him, so he will probably figure prominently. They (BBC) have a way to go with their Lightfoot material, although they have some.

I might add that when I visited the BBC site, I couldn't help but notice the "premiere" of the first ever Tim Rice/Andrew Lloyd Webber musical, Likes Of Us, written in 1967, but not performed until last week on BBC. You can listen to it at their site too.

What a gold mine! I've been to the BBC site before, but obviously wasn't paying enough attention!

Again, thanks!
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 11:39 AM   #4
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gypsy:
Its host is Bob Harris.
Great Gypsy
I'll make a point of catching that on the archived repeat during the week following the 29th
I did that a few months ago with another great "Whispering" Bob Harris documentary on Tim Hardin (which comtained much detail about the 60's New York area folk music scene and I was able to pass it on to Gordon who told me the other evening that he very much enjoyed hearing it.
I see that you are from "Old" Hampshire (I was born in Sherborne Dorset) and I trust that infrequent poster here "silverheels" Bruna Zanelli (from the posher end of Croydon) takes note of your existence for a possible future British "gordfestUK" gathering
talking of Bob Harris
he is not unaware of Gord as may be seen at his web site
http://www.bobharris.org/pages/index.htm
but a consequent search of his playlists
reveals a fixation for just Sundown
5 plays 1998 to 2004
and IYCRMM
4 plays 2004 and 2005
so some determined submisions to him are in order for Britside fans
John Fowles
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 11:39 AM   #5
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gypsy:
Its host is Bob Harris.
Great Gypsy
I'll make a point of catching that on the archived repeat during the week following the 29th
I did that a few months ago with another great "Whispering" Bob Harris documentary on Tim Hardin (which comtained much detail about the 60's New York area folk music scene and I was able to pass it on to Gordon who told me the other evening that he very much enjoyed hearing it.
I see that you are from "Old" Hampshire (I was born in Sherborne Dorset) and I trust that infrequent poster here "silverheels" Bruna Zanelli (from the posher end of Croydon) takes note of your existence for a possible future British "gordfestUK" gathering
talking of Bob Harris
he is not unaware of Gord as may be seen at his web site
http://www.bobharris.org/pages/index.htm
but a consequent search of his playlists
reveals a fixation for just Sundown
5 plays 1998 to 2004
and IYCRMM
4 plays 2004 and 2005
so some determined submisions to him are in order for Britside fans
John Fowles
Old 10-30-2005, 10:59 AM   #6
SeattleRain

I seem to recall reading another posting somewhere on this site refering to The Maple Revolution, can't recall where or by who. I caught it last night, Gordon was featured, I was disappointed not to hear him performing the material he was doing in the early 60's.

Something from the La Cave album would have been more appropiate IMHO. They played IYCRMM, not representative of the time under discussion. Also they mention Ian Tyson and Four Strong Winds, and play Neil Young's version, why not Ian Tyson's? Don't get me wrong, I love Neil Young's version.

A good program for all that. Looking forward to next weeks.
SeattleRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 10:59 AM   #7
Jim Nasium

I seem to recall reading another posting somewhere on this site refering to The Maple Revolution, can't recall where or by who. I caught it last night, Gordon was featured, I was disappointed not to hear him performing the material he was doing in the early 60's.

Something from the La Cave album would have been more appropiate IMHO. They played IYCRMM, not representative of the time under discussion. Also they mention Ian Tyson and Four Strong Winds, and play Neil Young's version, why not Ian Tyson's? Don't get me wrong, I love Neil Young's version.

A good program for all that. Looking forward to next weeks.
Jim Nasium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 02:57 PM   #8
Anna Lightfoot

Hi. Yes i was a little disapointed Gords name wasent mentioned at the start along with the long list of canadian artists old and new. Still at least Bob Harris played IYCRMM for the fifth time(yes he has got a fixation john). Still we are lucky to hear Gord at anytime in the UK. I have sent email to the BBC in the past about TV recordings from early 70s.
Im refering to the "In Concert" series and "Top of the pops". I havent seen since the broadcasts, but i dont think they excist anymore as back then a selection of vidio tapes where wiped and reused. Does anyone know different?
Old 10-30-2005, 02:57 PM   #9
The Gypsy

Hi. Yes i was a little disapointed Gords name wasent mentioned at the start along with the long list of canadian artists old and new. Still at least Bob Harris played IYCRMM for the fifth time(yes he has got a fixation john). Still we are lucky to hear Gord at anytime in the UK. I have sent email to the BBC in the past about TV recordings from early 70s.
Im refering to the "In Concert" series and "Top of the pops". I havent seen since the broadcasts, but i dont think they excist anymore as back then a selection of vidio tapes where wiped and reused. Does anyone know different?
The Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 03:00 PM   #10
Anna Lightfoot

Old 10-30-2005, 03:00 PM   #11
The Gypsy

Old 10-30-2005, 03:02 PM   #12
Anna Lightfoot

Old 10-30-2005, 03:02 PM   #13
The Gypsy

Old 11-01-2005, 10:56 PM   #14
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by <the gypsy>:
Still at least Bob Harris played IYCRMM for the fifth time(yes he has got a fixation john). Still we are lucky to hear Gord at anytime in the UK. I have sent email to the BBC in the past about TV recordings from early 70s.
1.the other posting on this subject Jim was on small talk on
October 25th and was in fact wtriten by yourself
and
2."the gypsy" if you would care to register here you will then when necessary be able to delete any duplicated postings (and triplicated come to that)
John Fowles
Old 11-01-2005, 10:56 PM   #15
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by <the gypsy>:
Still at least Bob Harris played IYCRMM for the fifth time(yes he has got a fixation john). Still we are lucky to hear Gord at anytime in the UK. I have sent email to the BBC in the past about TV recordings from early 70s.
1.the other posting on this subject Jim was on small talk on
October 25th and was in fact wtriten by yourself
and
2."the gypsy" if you would care to register here you will then when necessary be able to delete any duplicated postings (and triplicated come to that)
John Fowles
Old 11-02-2005, 01:01 PM   #16
SeattleRain

Thank you John, I recall wtriting that post now. Thanks again. James.
SeattleRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 01:01 PM   #17
Jim Nasium

Thank you John, I recall wtriting that post now. Thanks again. James.
Jim Nasium is offline   Reply With Quote