banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 06-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles
Default JJW Jerry Jeff Walker

OK I realise that this is not strictly about Gordon Lightfoot but it would sink without trace in the Small Talk Forum (or be buried in Spam cans no doubt as the stoopid spammers as evidenced by my email inbox take a perverted delight in posting their drivel about wow gold etc to threads that I am subscribed to.
So I know all too well the scale of the problem Char faces)
Since Gord obviously has a predeliction for Hangdog Hotel Room (a song way down in my personal list of favourites) we very often in concert nowadays hear the name of Jerry Jeff Walker mentioned on stage. But precious little detail on the man other than that he obviously inspired some memorable early morning guitar playing and no doubt a fair amount of imbibing,
Jenney has recounted Gord's 's hilarious account at Massey in 2009 of how he acquired the fine jacket he was wearing on the Don Quixote album cover from Jerry Jeff Walker in her posting at:-
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showpost.p...78&postcount=3
But I knew very little else then recently on Sirius-M Satellite radio they played a fine version of the familiar song "Mr Bojangles"which until then I had always assumed was written by Jim Croce. Not so because as you can hear in David Bromberg's version JJW met the real Mr BJ in a jail and wrote the song about him to amuse his fellow inmates
For more information on the song I will refer you to the inevitable wiki at:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Bojangles_(song)
Reminds me that after the last day of the 2007 Nevil Shute conference we attended in "The Alice" in the centre of Australia many of us dined out at a famous saloon on Todd Strret
called "Mr Bojangles"
The meal was made most memorable by the fact
that the ceiling was festooned with large insects that tended to drop off thereby adding to the protein count of ones plate of food!!
although being Australia no doubt they were poisonous!!

Has anybody anything to add regarding Mr Walker??

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy
Default Re: JJW Jerry Jeff Walker

I saw him play once in the late '70s at Gilley's in Houston, TX. He put on a good show. I can't say I was ever a fan, though.
The best show I saw there was Eddie Rabbit, I think before his days in the limelite. Now, he put on a great show! Too bad he's not still with us.

Cathy
Old 06-23-2011, 11:41 PM   #3
dad2mak

I've been a big fan of Jerry Jeff's for many years. Saw him live at the Palamino Club in North Hollywood back in the 70's. It was a raucous time and a very entertaining show. He's a "good ole boy," and I can see why he
and GL would hit it off.
dad2mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
Wheels

Have a few of his albums. Favorite is Bein Free. Just listened to the Mr. Bojangles CD after seeing your post, John. Always liked him doing the more mellow stuff-highly recommended tune-Broken Toys-on Mr. Bojangles CD.
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:45 PM   #5
Bill

Fun fact...although associated with the Austin, TX music scene, and all things Texas in songwriting (terligua, kerrville, character driven stories)...I understand he is actually from Woodstock, NY originally.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
Hangdog

I most recently fell in love with this gem by Jerry Jeff. And I really like Hangdog Hotel...since the I now have.monicker.

Which Gord tunes are closest to this kind of wonderful feel?

Hangdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #7
Don Quixote

Has kind of Jimmy Buffett feel to it, more than Gord. Maybe a little like "Somewhere U.S.A."?

Cheers,
DQ
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
3dflyinggames

He plays in St. Louis at least once a year and puts on an amazing show. I have the JJW beer koozy to prove it.
3dflyinggames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:03 PM   #9
Hangdog

Hey DQ...i agree Somewhere USA and perhaps I'll Do Anything. Had this discussion a few times with some folks around here.
Hangdog is offline   Reply With Quote