banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2008, 07:49 PM   #1
buzzard

Default Sorry, I'm Canadian - Lightfoot references

Went to an interesting show last night with a few interesting Lightfoot references. It’s called Sorry, I’m Canadian and plays at Grand Bend until July 12. It’s a revue that pokes fun at Canadian mannerisms, history and politics with Canadian music as a backdrop.
It was written by David Broadfoot and features host Neil Aitchison telling some very corny jokes, a really good four piece band, and a very talented family of tap-dancers.
The show profiles each province, so they played an extended version of Alberta Bound while they lampooned that province. When they got to Ontario, they profiled several cities, including Orillia, “the hometown of our greatest singer/songwriter” and broke into a medley featuring Sundown, Cotton Jenny and Did She Mention My Name. When they got to the Maritimes, they did Farewell to Nova Scotia.
All in all, Lightfoot led the credits, with four songs, three Stompin’ Tom tunes (including my personal favourite, Sudbury Saturday Night), a couple of Burton Cummings songs, and many other various chestnuts.
It’s a really fun show. I’m not sure where it’s playing next, but it’s worth checking out. At the end of the first act, they did a sing-along with several baby boomer Canadian classics, like the Ontario song (Give Us a Place to Stand. . .) and the “other” Centennial song (Can-a-da, We Love Thee...). Unfortunately, no Railroad Trilogy.
Finally at the end of the show they signed off with the farewell song from Don Messer’s Jubilee (for those of you unfamiliar, a CBC staple, sort of a version of the Lawrence Welk show with fiddle music). I can remember as a kid, pleading with my (long since passed) father not to have to watch Don Messer’s Jubilee. I can’t tell you how much I wish I could have taken him to the show last night!

Brian
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:59 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Sorry, I'm Canadian - Lightfoot references

Sounds like a fun night..Dave Broadfoot is a very clever humourist/satirist/funny guy..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:56 PM   #3
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Our TV was switched to Don Messer's Jubilee just about every time it was on, and I didn't like it a bit. Being a teenager, I considered it 'hick' music. Years later, I started playing the fiddle, and sure wish I could watch some of those old shows again!

Cathy
Old 07-06-2008, 10:43 PM   #4
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy View Post
Our TV was switched to Don Messer's Jubilee just about every time it was on, and I didn't like it a bit. Being a teenager, I considered it 'hick' music. Years later, I started playing the fiddle, and sure wish I could watch some of those old shows again!

Cathy
here ya go Cathy:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f
Old 07-06-2008, 11:31 PM   #5
Yuri

I’m Sorry Too….

Sounds like a fun night! Those are certainly some iconic tunes that have a warm place in most Canuck’s hearts if not all. Both Ontario’s centennial contribution (Give Us a Place to Stand) and Bobby Gimby’s Centennial song (Can-a-da, We Love Thee...), were hard to escape in 1967. Don Messer’s Jubilee, a CBC staple from 1957 to 1969, showcased numerous Canadian musicians and was watched religiously by much of the nation. ‘The Guess Who’, Ian & Sylvia, Stompin’ Tom Connors and of course Gordon Lightfoot have made invaluable contributions to the musical fabric of our Country.

However an unforgivable musical travesty has recently been committed which some of our American friends may not be aware of. I’m referring to CBC’s failure to renew the licence* for Doris Clayman’s ‘Hockey Night In Canada Theme Song’. The tune was a summons for all to grab a bag of chips, crack a Molson’s and kick back in front of the TV for Canada’s national sport. (yes, I know that Lacrosse is also Canada’s national sport but this country is big enough to handle two…) The affection for this tune cannot be understated as it has been referred to by many as “Canada’s second national anthem”. (…and nobody would be foolish enough to mess with the national anthem, now would they.....hmmmmmm???)

CBC will be holding a contest requesting submissions from aspiring composers to replace the iconic tune. Maybe some hip-hop or rap version set to a ‘scratching’ record and interjected “yohs” could replace the noble & dignified retired theme. I amongst many in this nation will miss it!

Then again, perhaps you have to be Canadian to understand…..Eh??

* Seizing the opportunity, CTV sprang for the licensing fee but how often this music will be played before NHL games is yet to be seen as CBC still owns the broadcast rights to the NHL broadcasts of ‘Hockey Night In Canada’.
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:12 AM   #6
buzzard

You’re right, Yuri. CBC giving up on the Hockey Night in Canada theme was a huge blunder; but picking it up was a huge boon for CTV/Sportsnet. This was mentioned repeatedly in the show I was at on Saturday night. I left it out because I can’t begin to explain this situation, especially to our friends below the 49th parallel. Say what you will, but don’t be messing around with the theme song from Hockey Night in Canada!
You’re right – you have to be Canadian to understand . . . eh.

Brian
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:56 AM   #7
Jesse Joe

I agree Yuri, it seems that it just wont be the same without that theme song. But as time goes by ? Hockey is not as interesting as it once was either, my opinion too many teams that are not hockey city's. $$$
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:06 AM   #8
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by podunklander View Post
I'd guess it would be like going to Fenway and not hearing/singing Sweet Caroline
http://www.redsoxconnection.com/sweetcaroline.html
similar but the Hockey Night theme is country wide..not just for one market/team..

I got a kick out of it being played in the Mike Myers movie - Love Guru..
Old 07-07-2008, 09:24 AM   #9
Yuri

Conspiracy Theory!
I found one Toronto Maple Leafs fan's take on the 'Hockey Night In Canada' theme rather amusing. Noting that the Toronto Maple Leafs last won the Stanley Cup in 1967 and that Doris Clayman's 'Hockey Night in Canada' theme began being played one year later in 1968 - this tune was no doubt jinxing the franchise. He firmly believes that with it's replacement, the 'Maple Laughs' are bound to take Lord Stanley's cup in the 2008-09 season.
..........we'll see......

(and yes Jesse Joe, this ol' fogey remembers watching the original six - better hockey!)

Yuri
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:27 AM   #10
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
CBC giving up on the Hockey Night in Canada theme was a huge blunder
I'd rather have CBC cave and give Ron McLean his salary request (which they did, and he is worth it) than cave this time and dish out a ridiculous amount of taxpayer money to keep the jingle in their hands ...in my opinion they don't need this new contest (but nice to get fans involved) since Stompin Tom has us all set already

I believe the HNIC tune earned a $500 royalty each time played, which seemed like a reasonable sum but if the composer's agent was able to pull $5M from CTV, hat's off to 'em ...it'll be played on TSN broadcasts and during the Olympic coverage, also in TSN hands (who also have Brian Williams for the upcoming event) ...CTV should make an offer for Bob Cole and Harry Neale for all I care...and please take Joe Bowan too, lol

I've had to hang on to old HNIC tradition in my mind ever since they started having the tune segue into that "It's Saturday Night"(?) song anyhow but I've always liked when they have a local minor hockey team shout out to open the show, and Hockey Day in Canada is a good thing

yeah, when the Satellite Hot Stove (I feel like I'm watching CNN) replaced the actual Lounge and when the Leafs left the Gardens and when they replaced Paul Morris with Andy Frost as PA guy and when Dave Hodge left and when the Hewitt (Foster, Bill, Ron) family was no more and when they baby blue CBC blazers (lol) where no more and when, etc, etc.... I sound slike an old fart

Each have our vivid memories and perhaps Leaf channel classic telecasts to preserve the past but as far as go forward tradition, to me, watching a show telecast from Air Canada Centre is like going to Roy Thomson Hall (instead of Massey) to see Gord

btw, I don't think it was mentioned (and would mean nothing to non-Canucks) but a thank you to the recently deceased Don Chevrier and Don Whitman for their work over the years, Cassie Campbell has hard shoes to fill

it sounds like a great show Buzzard I've got a nice Don Messer VHS commemorative videotape, PM me if you want a copy, I'm assuming it still works...not sure if it's available from CBC Shop but Here's Looking at Us is an interesting book that has a nice Messer section

I never really complained when Messer (and other 'fogey' stuff was put on the TV, basically because it was the only channel we got, lol

btw, I've always liked Stompin Tom's C-A-N-A-D-A tune ("ever seen a lady on a dollar bill?" )

I miss King of Kensington, The Beachcombers and Rita McNeil...Rita was the last show that allowed us to see live (mostly) Canadian talent on CBC...if you watch Sunday Morning then you might see a wee live clip of a Canadian musical act but other than that you have to go to CTV to see Idol for up and coming singers, and now, fortunately 'instrumentalists' also...I wish they would telecast a weekly show from Hugh's Room or create a similar atmosphere in the Glenn Gould theatre and broadcast from there

I feel all CBC tradition will have died when the Vinyl Cafe is gone from radio...ok, what a tangent I've been on here, lol

Yuri, you're "scratching record" reference is a hoot, it wouldn't surprise me...yoh yoh...there was a good article in the Star about how to approach the song writing jingle attempt

lastly, when relatives come over, they ask me when I will teach their wee kids some piano stuff...without failure, everytime I ask their various sets of kids what they want to learn (ie. puff the magic dragon, nursery rhyme tunes, avril levigne, lol, etc) they always say "I want to learn that Hockey Song, pleeease"

I don't even really know how to play it but all I have to do is pound out that 5 note hook and instantly their faces light up, then they all jump about like crazy ...what an infectious jingle, indeed! but yeah, I'd rather CBC put the dollars they saved into new productions

Last edited by jj; 07-07-2008 at 09:36 AM.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:34 AM   #11
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
Conspiracy Theory!
I found one Toronto Maple Leafs fan's take on the 'Hockey Night In Canada' theme rather amusing. Noting that the Toronto Maple Leafs last won the Stanley Cup in 1967 and that Doris Clayman's 'Hockey Night in Canada' theme began being played one year later in 1968 - this tune was no doubt jinxing the franchise. He firmly believes that with it's replacement, the 'Maple Laughs' are bound to take Lord Stanley's cup in the 2008-09 season.
..........we'll see......

(and yes Jesse Joe, this ol' fogey remembers watching the original six - better hockey!)

Yuri
wow, that sounds like the Bill Barilko legend (never won the cup from when he drowned until years later when they found his body)
...the Tragically Hip will have to write a tune called Doris Clayman, lol

if the Leafs even make the playoffs by 09-10 I'll be surprised

original six, no trap, no helmets and no hitting from behind...and weren't those the best years for hockey card collecting also, although I got the bug more in the post '67 era
Old 07-07-2008, 12:07 PM   #12
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Thanks, Char. I've been watching Don Messer most of the morning!

Cathy
Old 07-07-2008, 03:13 PM   #13
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Both Ontario’s centennial contribution (Give Us a Place to Stand) and Bobby Gimby’s Centennial song (Can-a-da, We Love Thee...), were hard to escape in 1967
I have no idea who Bobby Gimby was or is but I do know that I was very lucky to be in Montreal during that magical year 1967.
Not only did I get to see Gord at the New Penelope coffee bar after he had appeared at the Expo 67 site on Sunday 21 May but
having an inexpensive Expo passport I was able to go on the St Helens Island site very many times, partly to see the great fireworks displays put on every evening but also to visit a replica British pub complete with gorgeous real UK Ale,.
However the main purpose of going was of course to visit as many of the pavilions as possible.
I saw most and my most enduring memories are two from the wonderfully designed UK Pavilion
Firstly there was a full scale Rolls Royce Olympus jet engine (as was about to power the Concorde) mounted vertically above a circular mirror with a spiral staircase around it around which young lads used to dally hoping that a young lady would walk up affording delightful prospects as it were.
Next was a gaily decorated Mini with a Union Jack painted onto its roof and the car radio blaring out the familiar (to Brits) weather forecast Finistere,Lundy.Wight, Bight etc
However I recall being highly impressed by the Ontario Pavilion and its lively film presentation "A Place To Stand"
Somewhere here I have the 45 rpm single of the pavilion's film's theme song that i think is in a pile waiting to be digitised for my own pleasure.

Warning
on my pathetic dial up this picture is taking several thousand ages to download
yet on my my Nokia N800 "wondertoy" on broadband it was instantly viewable
So if you lose patience try right clicking the actual picture URL and then "Save Target As"
http://expo67.ncf.ca/arc67.jpg
I tried to find it in order to at least scan the picture sleeve for this reply, but when I failed to find it I resorted to doing a google image search and found:-
http://expo67.ncf.ca/a_place_to_stand_p1.html
which not only had a full scan of the sleeve but also features a real player plug in to play the actual theme song .Magic!!
"Click the On Air image for A Place to Stand audio presentation."

that should be a clickable image exactly as shown on the web page
click it and it should then open a real Audio file so you can hear the catchy theme song yourself.
This was a pionering film
"presenting about an hour-and-a-half of footage in its 18-minute running time."
using what the director called
"his multi-dynamic image technique, a groundbreaking multiple screen, variable picturepresentation that allows viewers to see many images within different panels, up to 15 scenes simultaneously on one screen."
It was as anybody here who saw it on the full 66 feet wide by 30 feet high screen will definitely remember, simply astounding

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 07-07-2008 at 04:24 PM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:15 PM   #14
Jesse Joe

Really amazing John for a few minutes there I was 12 years old again... Expo 67, it was a great year.

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 07-07-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:20 AM   #15
jj

Quote:
I’m Sorry Too….
CBC will be holding a contest requesting submissions from aspiring composers to replace the iconic tune
we can make this actually Lightfoot related:

this article includes tips from composer/arranger, Tom Szczesniak (how could one not recognize THAT name ) , who played keys and bass on East of Midnight and Endless Wire:

http://www.thestar.com/article/453767
Old 07-08-2008, 08:21 AM   #16
Jesse Joe

Good idea jj, it should be Lightfoot related...

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 07-08-2008 at 09:24 AM. Reason: It was jj that had the idea, not Yuri, Sorry ! :)
Old 07-08-2008, 08:52 AM   #17
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joe View Post
Good idea Yuri, it should be Lightfoot related...
not sure what you're replying to, or if you meant, 'jj' (clean your specs! )

hey, speaking of Jessie, why did you spell your logon name with an 'e' instead oif an 'i', as the song goes: Jessi-Jo ...or is yours more of a Jesse James, troublemaker type spelling? lol

ok, to mkae it more Gl related, question: what existing instrumental segment of a Gord composition might work for new HNCI theme song???

how about the funky Boathouse? Fading Away has memorable hook, but is it too laid back for the start to a HNIC broadcast? need something that reaches bit of a crescendo

maybe Gord is actually at the piano right now (and even borrowing his son's drum machine) trying to pull off a rockin jingle and take in the $100K himself
Old 07-08-2008, 09:08 AM   #18
Jesse Joe

Hey jj,

When I joined CORFID, I tried several names like Don Quixote, aso... which were all taken. But I did like the song Flyin Blind, and the name Jessi Jo. So I decide to go with it, but it was Cathy then that said I hope your a woman because Jessi Jo is definetly a woman, so we had a discussion about it Char was also involved saying it could be a guy... Anyway I almost changed it, but decided to write it as a "Dude" would spell it, Jesse and Joe. But it as nothing to do except for the Gordon Lightfoot song "Flyin Blind."