banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2020, 08:03 PM   #1
charlene

Default NEW album - 'SOLO' -LISTEN to SONG - Gord & guitar only - MARCH 20,2020

http://www.digitaljournal.com/entert...article/564950

Gordon Lightfoot talks new album, touring, and longevity in music

BY MARKOS PAPADATOS 6 HOURS AGO IN MUSIC

Veteran Canadian singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot chatted with Digital Journal about his new music and touring. The crooner offered advice for young and aspiring singer-songwriters.
Bob Dylan once said: "I can't think of any Gordon Lightfoot song I don't like. Every time I hear a song of his, it's like I wish it would last forever."

On his touring in 2019, he said, "The tour was good. I took a tumble in July, so we had to reschedule those shows. I couldn't play for about four months. I did a few shows in November."

Lightfoot shared that he is excited to tour in 2020. "We are always in a state of preparation here, and the same goes for our band members and our crew. My wife travels with me with the entourage and the crew," he said. "I try to keep moving these days. Motion is the potion. Keeping it moving, so I work out, and that certainly helps."

His New Year's resolutions for 2020 are to "keep on moving." Each day, he is motivated by "working out." "I have to go out to do it, and it gets me out of the streets by 10 a.m. and I go to a club. I have been a member there for years and five or six days a week, I do the workout," he said.

Lightfoot revealed that he has a new solo studio album coming out in March of 2020. "It is just my guitar and myself, and there's a reason for that," he said. "If we orchestrated it, it probably would have taken another year and I didn't want that. We are not getting any younger."

"The new album is going to be fun. It has energy. I love the 10 songs on there," he said, prior to listing the song "Better Off" as his favorite song from the new collection. "There are a lot of great song on there," he admitted.

On being an artist in the digital age, he said, "I made it through that. It didn't change my way of doing my work. I would just go to the studio and get the job done whether it was via tape or done digitally. The digital age has increased in such a fast way, that I actually lost track there. I don't have a cell phone even. Someday soon, I am going to get with the 21st century."

Regarding his future plans, Lightfoot said, "I will continue to work out until I am no longer able to work anymore. I love the psychology behind working out. It's not about just the exercise, that is just half of it. The other 50 percent is showing up at the workout. It helps every aspect of what I do."

When asked what inspired his songwriting, he responded, "The joy of doing the work, and figuring it all out and making sure that it rhymes and remembering what you learned when you went to school. I am sure glad I did that. One of the first jobs I ever got was as a copyist."

On the title of the current chapter of his life, he said, "Solo." "That's how my new album is: just guitar and vocal," he said. "When Bruce Springsteen did a lot of work on his own, all he had was a guy doing keyboards for him. He did the whole concert solo. Bruce is a very talented musician."

From his illustrious catalog of songs, he listed "If You Could Read My Mind" as his personal favorite. He also enjoys performing "Don Quixote" towards the climax of the song, which ironically enough, is this journalist's all-time personal favorite Gordon Lightfoot recording.
"Another great song is 'Cotton Jenny.' It's a fabulous tune. I wrote that right around the same time I wrote 'If You Could Read My Mind,' in one afternoon. That's the way it goes," he added.

Unlike "Cotton Jenny" and "If You Could Read My Mind," his signature song "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" took a little "more time and a lot more thought" to compose. "When I was writing 'The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald,' all I could think of the relatives: the mothers, the fathers, the uncles, the aunts and the people that were lost. I tried to be careful about writing it. As the years went by, I actually changed one of the lyrics to it because some of the people took offense to that song," he said.

In June of 2012, Lightfoot was inducted into the coveted Songwriters Hall of Fame, where the induction ceremony was held in New York City. "That was a great show. I sang 'If You Could Read My Mind,' and it was an amazing evening in downtown Manhattan. I liked the vibes there. Meat Loaf also performed at that show," he said.

Should be ever get inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, an honor that he most richly deserves, he shared that he would love to sing "If You Could Ready My Mind" at that ceremony as well.

Lightfoot noted that he thoroughly enjoys performing his music live in front of audiences. "That's the best part of this whole thing: getting out there and playing live," he said.
For young and aspiring singer-songwriters, Lightfoot said, "Don't stop now. Build up a small catalog with a few nice tunes. Ask yourself whether or not the song has momentum. That's the way I think about it."

Lightfoot defined the word success as "being able to pay the bills." "I have a very extended family. I really do. There is a cost for everything," he said with a sweet laugh.
To learn more about iconic singer-songwriter Gordon Light and his music, check out his official Facebook page.

Read More: Digital Journal's Markos Papadatos reviewed Gordon Lightfoot's May 19th, 2019 show at the Tarrytown Music Hall in New York.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/entert...#ixzz6AfweUw13
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:13 PM   #2
imported_Next_Saturday

Default Re: NEW album-gird & guitar only - MARCH 2020

I guess "March means Lightfoot".
Old 01-17-2020, 05:10 PM   #3
T.G.

Default Re: NEW album-Gord & guitar only - MARCH 2020

So there it is, a truly solo album.
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:07 AM   #4
talbot10

Default Re: NEW album-Gord & guitar only - MARCH 2020

I just heard "Oh so sweet". It is a beautiful song and Gord's vocals sound strong and pure!
I am happy he did an album this way where songs can stand on their own merit and focus on him!
Old 01-24-2020, 10:57 AM   #5
charlene

Default Re: NEW album - 'SOLO' -LISTEN to SONG - Gord & guitar only - MARCH 20,2020

Canada’s most celebrated songwriter, and international folk legend Gordon Lightfoot has announced today his new album, SOLO, available everywhere March 20th.
In the making of SOLO, Lightfoot discovered a treasure trove of unreleased material in his Toronto home. The songs were written in late 2001 and early 2002, just before he suffered a near-fatal abdominal aortic aneurysm later that year

The new album is heralded by the first single, “Oh So Sweet,” which can be heard here.

LISTEN to sample NOW: https://bit.ly/2vjexQP

YOU TUBE: complete song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm0EZ...KRUGFrkdY-PWoc

GordonLightfoot Header by char Westbrook, on Flickr
Old 01-24-2020, 03:31 PM   #6
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW
Default Re: NEW album - 'SOLO' -LISTEN to SONG - Gord & guitar only - MARCH 20,2020

It sounds lovely and of course we're all happy for something new. I'll buy it probably in more than one media type. It would have been nice to get the current band recorded in the studio but I can follow the reasoning.
Can't wait for the 2020 tour to begin.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:42 PM   #7
charlene

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-album-942415/

JANUARY 24, 2020 11:03AM ET
Gordon Lightfoot Announces First New Album in 16 Years, ‘Solo’
Canadian singer-songwriter unveils “Oh So Sweet” from upcoming LP, a collection of rediscovered tracks he recorded accompanied only by his guitar.

Gordon Lightfoot will release his first album of new material in more than 15 years this March with Solo, featuring a collection of music the Canadian singer-songwriter recorded in the studio accompanied only by his guitar.
Lightfoot heralded the upcoming March 20th release of Solo with the album’s opening track and first single “Oh So Sweet.”

The legendary songwriter, who last released Harmony in 2004, found Solo’s material tucked away in his office in his Toronto home; the two discs of material were recorded in late 2001 and early 2002, just before Lightfoot suffered a near-fatal abdominal aortic aneurysm. After rediscovering the songs, Lightfoot entered Hamilton, Ontario’s Grant Avenue Studio to rerecord the tracks with only his guitar.
“I thought my fans would be interested in hearing what songs sound like when first written,” Lightfoot said of solo in a statement.
Following Lightfoot’s 80th birthday in 2019, Rolling Stone visited the singer backstage prior to a performance at New York’s Town Hall, where Lightfoot reminisced about his career and legacy. “We’ve got songs that register well with the crowd, like ‘Read My Mind’ and ‘Beautiful’ and ‘Don Quixote.’ They’re all tunes that just move along and have a forward momentum, which is what I look for in my writing,” Lightfoot said. “Forward momentum.”

Solo Tracklist
1. “Oh So Sweet”
2. “E-Motion”
3. “Better Off”
4. “Return Into Dust”
5. “Do You Walk, Do You Talk”
6. “Just a Little Bit”
7. “Easy Flo”
8. “Dreamdrift”
9. “The Laughter We Seek”
10. “Why Not Give It a Try”
Old 01-27-2020, 07:26 PM   #8
T.G.

I like it! His voice indeed sounds strong. The first bars reminded me of Inspiration Lady, but the melody goes in interesting directions. A neat idea to do this totally solo, although I miss the orchestra.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:00 PM   #9
Martyn Miles

I am genuinely surprised how strong his voice sounds. OK, the into. does sound familiar but there’s nothing wrong with that.
The new album will be an interesting listen...

Martyn Miles
Oxford
England.

Last edited by Martyn Miles; 01-29-2020 at 01:06 PM.
Martyn Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:47 PM   #10
charlene

REVIEW of OH SO SWEET:
http://www.digitaljournal.com/entert...article/566095

Gordon Lightfoot charms on new acoustic solo song 'Oh So Sweet' SPECIAL
LISTEN |

By Markos Papadatos Jan 28, 2020 in Music
Veteran Canadian singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot has released "Oh So Sweet," the lead single from his upcoming solo album.

Review: Gordon Lightfoot charms on new acoustic solo song 'Oh So Sweet' SPECIAL

BY MARKOS PAPADATOS JAN 28, 2020 IN MUSIC

Veteran Canadian singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot has released "Oh So Sweet," the lead single from his upcoming solo album.

He allows his rich, harking voice to shine on this acoustic track, which has a stirring vibe to it. Lyrically, "Oh So Sweet" is pure poetry and it ought to be enjoyed for its beauty, honesty, and simplicity. This new tune will certainly resonate well with his fans and listeners.

"Oh So Sweet" is a track from his forthcoming studio album, Solo, which will be released on March 20. It is available for pre-order on Apple Music and on Amazon Music, among other digital service providers.

The Verdict
Overall, Gordon Lightfoot delivers on his new song "Oh So Sweet." If this is any indication of how his new acoustic album is going to sound like, then his fans and listeners are in for a real treat. It garners an A rating.

To learn more about acclaimed singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot and his music, check out his official Facebook page.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:18 AM   #11
paskatefan

Lovely song! Looking forward to the release of the solo CD!

Gail
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:34 PM   #12
DellroyGM

Default Re: NEW album

Oh, wow!
Yes, I will certainly buy a copy. It's amazing that Gord has written so very many songs, he misplaced some, and managed to find them later. I think that gives new meaning to the term 'prolific'.

-DellroyGM
DellroyGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:09 PM   #13
seafarer62

I just listened to "Oh, So Sweet" - pleasant, does have an intro similar to Inspiration Lady.

However, still not clear when this album was recorded? Did I just hear the demo tape from 2002, or did Gord go back into the studio in the last year and re-record those demos?

I just ordered the CD on Amazon.

Also, I see on the Lightfoot.ca website that Gord is going to be in Thunder Bay on Nov. 7. I plan to put some vacation days on my schedule and get up to see that concert.

John- Minnesota
seafarer62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:06 AM   #14
charlene

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts...-from-january/

BRAD WHEELER - GLOBE and MAIL

OH SO SWEET, BY GORDON LIGHTFOOT
“A-one, two, three, four.” The troubadour Gordon Lightfoot counts in his first new song in years, setting the rhythm for himself while working a hypnotist’s trick on the rest of us. He casts a solo-acoustic spell, cutting through the second-hand smoke of Steele’s Tavern and other old haunts. The 81-year-old icon is candidly reflective as he considers his past, ponders his lack of regret and wonders – “The road I chose was not all it should be” – what might have been.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:59 AM   #15
Rob1956

Seafarer:
Yeah, the Amazon listing says Gord discovered a cd of these songs from 2001 and 2002. It appears they're not newly recorded.
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:00 PM   #16
Martyn Miles

I’m glad you clarified that.
I thought he’d discovered the CD and then re-recorded the songs recently.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:39 PM   #17
charlene

now on SPOTIFY - https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37...1DWWHw0yK8z3Pm
Old 02-04-2020, 01:30 PM   #18
charlene

In the making of SOLO, Lightfoot discovered a treasure trove of unreleased material in his Toronto home. Two CDs of songs he recorded nearly two decades ago were tucked away in his office. The songs were written in late 2001 and early 2002, and were re-mastered/polished this year.

old recordings that were re-mastered/polished this year.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:10 AM   #19
T.G.

Oh, I thought these were newly recorded ...
Old 02-05-2020, 04:54 PM   #20
Martyn Miles

His voice was much better two decades ago.
When I heard him in Oxford in 2016 I was shocked at the deterioration.
Consequences of constant smoking and old age, presumably.
I wouldn’t spend good money to see him again...
Old 02-07-2020, 08:57 PM   #21
Off Yonge Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
In the making of SOLO, Lightfoot discovered a treasure trove of unreleased material in his Toronto home. Two CDs of songs he recorded nearly two decades ago were tucked away in his office. The songs were written in late 2001 and early 2002, and were re-mastered/polished this year.

old recordings that were re-mastered/polished this year.

Wayne Francis's review of Lightfoot's SOLO album (https://www.lightfoot.ca/solorevw.htm) indicates that nine of the ten songs on the album are from sessions held in 2002 and one song ("Easy Flo") was "recently written and recorded".

SOLO
The lightfoot.ca review by Wayne Francis
February 5, 2020

Cast your mind back to the early 60’s. Riding the wave of the folk revival, coffeehouses across North America were the scene of a burgeoning and impressive roster of singer-songwriters. Solo performers, acoustic guitar in hand, just then at the outset of their musical journey.

You might picture finding Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, James Taylor, Simon and Garfunkel on those intimate stages honing their craft. And forefront among them, Gordon Lightfoot.

Before the widespread fame and hit records graduated Lightfoot to concert halls and arenas, before he had his band, Lightfoot played the coffeehouse and tavern circuit as a solo act, building his song catalog and reputation along the way.

Which brings us to today and Lightfoot’s latest studio album, Solo. It is Lightfoot’s first album of original material released as “guitar and vocal” only arrangements, a candid glimpse into how the songs sound as they are newly written.

Nine of these tracks are from sessions held in 2002 just prior to Lightfoot suffering a near fatal abdominal aneurysm in September of that year. The 10th track is a recently written and recorded song, the touching and poignant, "Easy Flo".

And how do they sound? The first thing that strikes you is the vocal clarity and expressiveness throughout the 10 songs and together with his 6 and 12 string guitars, the mixes provide a full and rich sound that belies the spare arrangements. Lightfoot even sprinkles in some softly understated whistling for good measure during a few of the instrumental breaks, or occasionally counting in the start, adding to the feeling of spontaneity of the sessions.

You might think that 50 years into a songwriting odyssey, inspiration for Lightfoot might be slowly waning, but as these songs prove, Lightfoot has lost none of his inventiveness and originality that has been a hallmark of his songwriting career. Lyrically and melodically Lightfoot is in excellent form. Each song is unique unto itself, each different in style and approach.

Lightfoot can still turn a phrase with the best of them. Wry ironic humour, with a wink and a nod to his life travels abound as he sings in Dreamdrift;

“My radar tells me there’s a ghost at my side,
Still I keep on walking and the ghost gets a ride”

Now there’s a line to live by for anyone hoping to shake ties with the past. Not easily done.

The first single from the album, "Oh So Sweet" is quintessential Lightfoot. A beautifully finger picked ballad that finds the singer reflecting on days and love gone by, choosing to remember the sweeter times while acknowledging the choices that did not lead to fulfillment.

In “Just A Little Bit” the momentum builds as he cleverly cascades one rhetorical question built upon another, in a song that has an irresistible forward motion, similarly behind a driving rhythm in “Do You Walk, Do You Talk”.

"Return Into Dust" is in a folk style quite reminiscent of a song that would not sound at all out of place in the coffeehouses mentioned above. A classic example of the timeless qualities often attributed to Lightfoot’s music.

One of the centrepieces of the album is "E-motion". As the title suggests, this relationship plays out on line, graced with a memorable and catchy hook laden tune, highlighting Lightfoot’s expert phrasing. This song sticks in your mind long after it has stopped playing.

Another timeless song is "The Laughter We Seek". It would not seem out of place on one of Lightfoot's 1960's albums as it is propelled along on the insistent and infectious strum of the 12 string guitar. Yet it is still very here and now.

We find Lightfoot in "Better Off" displaying a musically light and airy touch, a song built upon a swiftly changing and intricate chord structure, not often utilized by Lightfoot. But the breezy melody is contrasted by a lyric contemplating a looming demise between two people. Very strong song.

The album closes with the beautiful and wistful ballad “Why Not Give It A Try”. Lightfoot’s voice here elicits a vulnerable tone against the backdrop of his softly finger picked 12 string guitar. The song evokes a touch of melancholy for the turning of life’s page, but ever the optimist, Lightfoot still searches for answers while looking ahead - indeed, why not give it a try?

So there you have it. Ten distinctive rhythms and melodies from a songwriting master. Each song stands alone on its own merits. Lightfoot, represented here as a Solo artist, carries the day!

Last edited by Off Yonge Street; 02-08-2020 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Changing colour of font
Off Yonge Street is offline   Reply With Quote