banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2000, 03:54 PM   #1
poldo

"These are just the simple facts
I will relate to you,
Though they are not connected
each and every one is true....."

I have probably been to over 30 of GL's concerts and no two have ever been the same. On top of this, GL usually had something funny, odd, or different to say at each concert, or something funny or odd happened to me or to you for that matter. I will be adding in the future more tidbits but for now here is the first one. I would like to hear some of your moments....

For a few years GL used to have an opening act called "The Good Brothers." The "Good Brothers" were scheduled to be his opening act here in the Cleveland area one summer. Just before the opening act was to begin, the 3 or 4 beers that I had kicked in, and I had to go to the rest room. No big thing, I really didn't care for the "Good Brothers" anyway. While I was in line to go to the rest room, I heard applause for the opening act and then I heard a strange sound. It sounded like GL but it was a song I never heard before. A haunting song it was, "The Sea Of Tranquility" was first heard by me when I was in the restroom. To my delight, the "Good Brothers" got held up at the border and could not make the gig.
My wife still teases me about the only time I missed a GL entrance at one of his concerts.

Wes...

________
BMW R90S

Last edited by poldo; 01-24-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-06-2000, 03:54 PM   #2
Wes Steele

"These are just the simple facts
I will relate to you,
Though they are not connected
each and every one is true....."

I have probably been to over 30 of GL's concerts and no two have ever been the same. On top of this, GL usually had something funny, odd, or different to say at each concert, or something funny or odd happened to me or to you for that matter. I will be adding in the future more tidbits but for now here is the first one. I would like to hear some of your moments....

For a few years GL used to have an opening act called "The Good Brothers." The "Good Brothers" were scheduled to be his opening act here in the Cleveland area one summer. Just before the opening act was to begin, the 3 or 4 beers that I had kicked in, and I had to go to the rest room. No big thing, I really didn't care for the "Good Brothers" anyway. While I was in line to go to the rest room, I heard applause for the opening act and then I heard a strange sound. It sounded like GL but it was a song I never heard before. A haunting song it was, "The Sea Of Tranquility" was first heard by me when I was in the restroom. To my delight, the "Good Brothers" got held up at the border and could not make the gig.
My wife still teases me about the only time I missed a GL entrance at one of his concerts.

Wes...

Wes Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2000, 08:12 PM   #3
chris

Wes,
I guess I missed those concerts when he was touring with the Good Brothers! The only opening act I ever saw him perform with was a couple of concerts in the mid 70s when he had a classical guitarist open for him. Her name escapes me now --Christina Boyd, maybe. I always thought it was an unusual choice as an opening for him. As beautiful as her music was I remember feeling irritated that I had to wait through her set to finally see and hear what I was really there for. I've since read in the (now infamous) Collins bio that GL was really doing her a good turn by making her part of his tour. I recall at one concert that when her set was over he actually came out and personally introduced her to the crowd before she left the stage. I remember thinking that that was a nice gesture.

chris

------------------
"It took most of my time to do what never was done" -- GL
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2000, 12:56 AM   #4
Annette

Wes, you have the best stories.
My two stories have more to do with the audience at the GL concert than Gordon Lightfoot himself. The first was a bit of an arguement that happened in about row 7 during about the 3rd song into the concert. I don't know if someone was in the wrong seat but there were 2 security guards down there and I heard at one point a guy say "No I won't leave" and then "You're embarrasing me". Gordon played right through as if nothing was happening 30 feet away from him. My husband said the lights are so bright on the stage that he wouldn't have seen what was going on, but I've always wondered.
The second little story was a man and his date's (wife, girlfriend, who knows?) seats were in the middle of the row where we were seated. They had to get by us to get to their seats. When he was seated, I had to do a double-take because he looked very much like the picture on Gord's Gold II. I'm sure he must have seen the look of (what? confusion, shock, I'm not sure what) before I had time to get my composure and lift my jaw off the floor - because he gave me a tiny smile that was beyond being polite. I would have thought it was GL's younger brother if I hadn't known that he doesn't have a younger brother. Well, that's my little contribution.
Old 02-10-2000, 12:56 AM   #5
Annette

Wes, you have the best stories.
My two stories have more to do with the audience at the GL concert than Gordon Lightfoot himself. The first was a bit of an arguement that happened in about row 7 during about the 3rd song into the concert. I don't know if someone was in the wrong seat but there were 2 security guards down there and I heard at one point a guy say "No I won't leave" and then "You're embarrasing me". Gordon played right through as if nothing was happening 30 feet away from him. My husband said the lights are so bright on the stage that he wouldn't have seen what was going on, but I've always wondered.
The second little story was a man and his date's (wife, girlfriend, who knows?) seats were in the middle of the row where we were seated. They had to get by us to get to their seats. When he was seated, I had to do a double-take because he looked very much like the picture on Gord's Gold II. I'm sure he must have seen the look of (what? confusion, shock, I'm not sure what) before I had time to get my composure and lift my jaw off the floor - because he gave me a tiny smile that was beyond being polite. I would have thought it was GL's younger brother if I hadn't known that he doesn't have a younger brother. Well, that's my little contribution.
Old 02-11-2000, 12:09 AM   #6
onchord

The last time I saw GL, about 5 years ago, it was at an open ampitheater concert. Knowing that cameras are never allowed, I asked the little old man taking tickets if cameras were allowed. He said "they are tonight!". I ran back to the car and got the Nikon.

I spent the concert taking some really good pictures of GL and the band (I was about 20 feet from the stage), and it was my dream come true.

Also, he played CRT, for what must have been for him the 4 millionth time. I sat there astonished, because he played it as if it was the first time he had ever played it for an audience. He put 100% effort and emotion into the song. I left the concert knowing that I had seen a professional's professional.

He's the greatest.
onchord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2000, 12:09 AM   #7
steeler

The last time I saw GL, about 5 years ago, it was at an open ampitheater concert. Knowing that cameras are never allowed, I asked the little old man taking tickets if cameras were allowed. He said "they are tonight!". I ran back to the car and got the Nikon.

I spent the concert taking some really good pictures of GL and the band (I was about 20 feet from the stage), and it was my dream come true.

Also, he played CRT, for what must have been for him the 4 millionth time. I sat there astonished, because he played it as if it was the first time he had ever played it for an audience. He put 100% effort and emotion into the song. I left the concert knowing that I had seen a professional's professional.

He's the greatest.
steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2000, 10:36 PM   #8
Wes Steele

Good stories....

Annette...About the arguement you saw. It reminds me of the stories of GL perfoming early in his career in coffee houses when he was competing with the NHL hockey game of the week. He mentioned that it was paid rehersal. Same thing with your crowd. Did you ever notice how GL almost looks like he is in a trance in concerts when he is singing. He must be trying to remember the words, chords, and everything else.
Chris, I never knew GL toured with Christina Boyd. She is a classical guitarist isn't she? How did the crowd take her? By the way, the Good Brothers appear on some of GL's earlier albums, one for sure is "Old Dan's Records".
Steeler, what outdoor theatre did you see GL in and what year? Maybe you can share some of those pictures with us through Florian.

For many years in a row, my wife and I saw the Massey Hall concerts in Toronto, usually in the spring and I caught him once in the fall.
The Saturdays were brisk or cold in March. My wife and I spent the day touring one of the most beautiful cities in the world. We usually ended up in a pub (doesn't pub sound so much better than bar) or two enjoying good drink, food, and conversation with the natives who were always very friendly. As we made our way to the concerts, there was always an air of excitement in the streets outside Massey Hall. I remember how nice the people were dressed, how happy they looked, and I even remember a peanut vendor (Yes a peanut vendor!)selling hot roasted peanuts while we waited in line. In the cold of a Toronto spring evening, man, did they smell great! All this led up to a tremendous show. If you can ever get to the Massey Hall concerts, they are something special.

Wes....
Old 02-14-2000, 04:21 PM   #9
chris

Wes,
Yes she was a classical guatarist. The crowd was respectful and appreciative. I wouldn't say she brought down the house or anything! For me it was the first time I had seen GL with an opening act, so like I said, I was a little annoyed that I wasn't going to see GL right away like I had anticipated. When he came out and made a personal introduction I think people felt more of a connection. This was at Wolf Trap in Northern Virginia back in the 70s. It's an open air pavilion and a great place to see and hear music of any kind.

For the last few years I've been saying how much I want to see GL in Massey Hall. After reading your post, I think I'm really going to do it. Toronto is a city my husband and I keep saying we want to see... thanks for the incentive. Do you think you will try to get to one more before there are no more?

chris

------------------
Old 02-15-2000, 12:31 AM   #10
Annette

That's funny what you said about Gordon competing with the hockey game on tv while he was playing in the bars. It's probably when people started to listen to him instead of the hockey game that he knew he was really going to make it. Toronto takes its hockey seriously!! Matter of fact, the joke is that our second national anthem is the "Da da da dada" theme of Hockey Night in Canada!
Old 02-15-2000, 12:31 AM   #11
Annette

That's funny what you said about Gordon competing with the hockey game on tv while he was playing in the bars. It's probably when people started to listen to him instead of the hockey game that he knew he was really going to make it. Toronto takes its hockey seriously!! Matter of fact, the joke is that our second national anthem is the "Da da da dada" theme of Hockey Night in Canada!
Old 02-15-2000, 10:54 AM   #12
Wes Steele

I have a great idea. Let's all meet at the next Massey Hall concerts in Toronto, hopefully, next spring. Bring you spouse's, good stories, and we would all have a heck of a time. If you have never been to Toronto, you'd love it! How about Florian?
I know my wife would love it.

Wes...
Old 02-15-2000, 12:10 PM   #13
Paul J B

Hey Wes count me in!!! my wife and I wanna go to Massey real bad! I've never been to Toronto but she has (Phantom of the opera at the beautifully restored Pantages theatre! LOL)I live in Northern Ohio so I know Toronto isn't far away..whatta ya say everyone lets GO!!!
Chuck...

------------------
Ever Onward...
Paul J B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2000, 12:10 PM   #14
Chuck Darling

Hey Wes count me in!!! my wife and I wanna go to Massey real bad! I've never been to Toronto but she has (Phantom of the opera at the beautifully restored Pantages theatre! LOL)I live in Northern Ohio so I know Toronto isn't far away..whatta ya say everyone lets GO!!!
Chuck...

------------------
Ever Onward...
Chuck Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2000, 08:25 PM   #15
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

The classical guitarist is named Liona Boyd (not Christina). She recently wrote her autobiography called In My Own Key: My Life In Love And Music. In it she talks about touring with Lightfoot, and also about her affair with Pierre Trudeau.
I only read the Lightfoot references ...

If you are interested in learning more about her, she has a web site here: www.lionaboyd.com .

------------------
Valerie Magee
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2000, 08:42 PM   #16
Wes Steele

Thanks Valerie. I do remember in one of the older GL songbooks a picture of Ms. Boyd backstage with GL. A very beautiful woman.

I checked out her website (see Valerie's message above for location) and there is a Kookie picture of GL with her. GL looks like an old silent film star posing with her. It's just a different picture of him. Tell me what you think....

Wes......

[This message has been edited by Wes Steele (edited February 15, 2000).]
Old 02-15-2000, 10:39 PM   #17
Annette

You're right Wes! As a matter of fact I don't think I would have recognized him if it hadn't had his name beneath the picture. Check out the ring.
Old 02-15-2000, 10:39 PM   #18
Annette

You're right Wes! As a matter of fact I don't think I would have recognized him if it hadn't had his name beneath the picture. Check out the ring.
Old 02-16-2000, 12:28 AM   #19
onchord

Wes,

I saw GL at an open air ampitheater in Birmingham, Alabama (of all places....), I think it was in 1991, based on when I printed the pictures.

I can scan some of them in, but.....what is Florian?

Send me an e-mail and I'll send some of them to you.

onchord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2000, 12:28 AM   #20
steeler

Wes,

I saw GL at an open air ampitheater in Birmingham, Alabama (of all places....), I think it was in 1991, based on when I printed the pictures.

Send me an e-mail and I'll send some of them to you.

steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2000, 01:46 AM   #21
Florian

quote:Originally posted by steeler:
Wes,

Hi steeler,

Florian is

65,00 % oxygen
0,002 % silicium
0,001 % aluminum
0,010 % iron
2,010 % calcium
0,109 % sodium
0,265 % potassium
0,036 % magnesium
10,00 % hydrogen
0,160 % chlorine
1,160 % phosphorus
18,00 % carbon
3,000 % nitrogen
0,247 % other

Aside from that, I am the webmaster of www.corfid.com
Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2000, 06:59 AM   #22
Wes Steele

Great Answer Florian.

You Going To Meet Up With Us In Toronto?

Wes...
Old 02-16-2000, 07:13 AM   #23
Florian

Hi Wes,

more than happy to. I suppose Gordon Lightfoot will give his Massey-Hall concerts again in November, and I plan to attend them.

It's more reasonable for me to see him if he does a set of concerts in a row (like the three at Massey). I cannot fly to the US or Canada just for a single evening.

So see you in Toronto,...

"Oh the skyline of Toronto
Is somethin' you'll get onto..
..But it's snowin' in the city
And the streets and brown and gritty"
(Alberta Bound, Don Quixote)
Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2000, 05:19 PM   #24
chris

Florian, Wes, et al,
Count me in for Toronto Massey Hall concerts. But, I think, and anyone correct me on this, but I think he does the Massesy Hall concerts now every 18 months instead of every year like he used to. So, since the last ones were Nov. 1999, that would make the next ones Spring sometime 2001. Which just gives us all more time to save the money to make the trip to Toronto that much more fun. Right?

chris

------------------
Old 02-16-2000, 06:05 PM   #25
LouiseAnne

Hey, Wes,
Can I come?

LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the