banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 06-24-2005, 05:32 PM   #1
WanderLust

First off I think Lightfoot is one of the best song writers ever. I have fond memories of his music when I was a kid in the middle seventies. I do wonder why he chose to swear in two of my favorite songs. The Watchman's Gone and Seven Island Suite. It seems strange to hear this on the Sundown album after listening to Don Quixote. The cussing does not disturb me, but I think these two songs are the only ones. I think he must have been ornery about the social/economic issues in 1973.
Who would'nt have been! Any thoughts?
Old 06-24-2005, 05:32 PM   #2
gurko

First off I think Lightfoot is one of the best song writers ever. I have fond memories of his music when I was a kid in the middle seventies. I do wonder why he chose to swear in two of my favorite songs. The Watchman's Gone and Seven Island Suite. It seems strange to hear this on the Sundown album after listening to Don Quixote. The cussing does not disturb me, but I think these two songs are the only ones. I think he must have been ornery about the social/economic issues in 1973.
Who would'nt have been! Any thoughts?
gurko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 06:58 PM   #3
patrick

Also on the Sundown album he does say "I'll be damned" in Carefree Highway. The swearing didn't bother me either, and I didn't notice all of it anyway - due to the lack of lyric sheet, it was years before I caught what he was saying in Seven Island Suite. I have no idea what his motivations to write those lyrics though.

andy
patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 06:58 PM   #4
Andy T.

Send a message via AIM to Andy T.

Also on the Sundown album he does say "I'll be damned" in Carefree Highway. The swearing didn't bother me either, and I didn't notice all of it anyway - due to the lack of lyric sheet, it was years before I caught what he was saying in Seven Island Suite. I have no idea what his motivations to write those lyrics though.

andy
Andy T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 07:22 PM   #5
joveski

you call that swearing?

compared to what some rap artists use today, thats nothing. its become everyday language
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 09:03 PM   #6
WanderLust

It was a departure from his usual style. Yeah morals have sure gone down the tube the last 30 years. Pretty hard to compare today's music to anything recorded back then. Could you even imagine an 'F' bomb on anything Lightfoot ever did? It would be completely embarassing and taint the great talent he is. He is a poet, musician and singer. Most of today's rap entertainers can't sing a lick or play an instrument. The video comes before the song. Such an image thing and lack of character.
Lightfoot's music stands on it's own. His songs put almost anything to shame today.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:03 PM   #7
gurko

It was a departure from his usual style. Yeah morals have sure gone down the tube the last 30 years. Pretty hard to compare today's music to anything recorded back then. Could you even imagine an 'F' bomb on anything Lightfoot ever did? It would be completely embarassing and taint the great talent he is. He is a poet, musician and singer. Most of today's rap entertainers can't sing a lick or play an instrument. The video comes before the song. Such an image thing and lack of character.
Lightfoot's music stands on it's own. His songs put almost anything to shame today.
gurko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 08:52 AM   #8
gwen sue snyder

Quote:
Originally posted by gurko:
Welcome to the forum Gurko. I have to say that your summary of Gord and his music is spot on
but that you are really preaching to the converted here!!
You have reminded me of something from one of his 60's shows that I saw in Montreal
If I remember correctly he started a few bars of Oh Danny Boy stopped abruptly and said something like "No I have to sing all this original shit."
But in talking to him very often in the last six years or so he has never that I remember once used any cussin' words in a conversation
John Fowles
I’m gonna let it ride Here’s to the girls of London And the ones from Montreal
We never will forget them We still fantasize them all
http://www.lyricsfreak.com/g/gordon-...oot/61571.html

[ June 25, 2005, 21:09: Message edited by: fowlesjohn ]
gwen sue snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 08:52 AM   #9
fowlesjohn

Quote:
Originally posted by gurko:
Welcome to the forum Gurko. I have to say that your summary of Gord and his music is spot on
but that you are really preaching to the converted here!!
You have reminded me of something from one of his 60's shows that I saw in Montreal
If I remember correctly he started a few bars of Oh Danny Boy stopped abruptly and said something like "No I have to sing all this original shit."
But in talking to him very often in the last six years or so he has never that I remember once used any cussin' words in a conversation
John Fowles
I’m gonna let it ride Here’s to the girls of London And the ones from Montreal
We never will forget them We still fantasize them all
http://www.lyricsfreak.com/g/gordon-...oot/61571.html

[ June 25, 2005, 21:09: Message edited by: fowlesjohn ]
fowlesjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 11:26 AM   #10
Auburn Annie

Well, I expect he knows all the words and phrases that turn up in any top 40 "song" these days, and then some. But he was undoubtedly raised a gentleman and comes from an era when such words were generally not used in polite society. I have no doubt there have been times when he's let loose with a few - or several - choice words but apparently it's not habitual.

I myself am a heck and darn type; several years ago at a class reunion the word "damn" casually slipped from my lips and jaws fell all around me. They'd be calling the EMTs if I dropped the F bomb, LOL.

As for the use in songs, he's so particular about the words he uses, I'm sure it's deliberate and in support of either the mood of the song or the scan of a line.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 11:26 AM   #11
Auburn Annie

Well, I expect he knows all the words and phrases that turn up in any top 40 "song" these days, and then some. But he was undoubtedly raised a gentleman and comes from an era when such words were generally not used in polite society. I have no doubt there have been times when he's let loose with a few - or several - choice words but apparently it's not habitual.

I myself am a heck and darn type; several years ago at a class reunion the word "damn" casually slipped from my lips and jaws fell all around me. They'd be calling the EMTs if I dropped the F bomb, LOL.

As for the use in songs, he's so particular about the words he uses, I'm sure it's deliberate and in support of either the mood of the song or the scan of a line.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 06:33 PM   #12
kenny

"Where maps are contained and what's left of his brains when his crew thru his BALLS to the sharks"

That's very graphic from 1976!!
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 06:33 PM   #13
Rich Man Spiritual

"Where maps are contained and what's left of his brains when his crew thru his BALLS to the sharks"

Rich Man Spiritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 07:43 PM   #14
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Man Spiritual:

It's "threw his BONES to the sharks!"
(edited)
holy toledo! All this time I thought it was bones!! I stand corrected! (just checked the lyrics)

[ June 25, 2005, 19:56: Message edited by: Sheryl ]
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 07:57 PM   #15
closetcanadian

Sheryl,

Check the liner notes from the Summertime Dream CD or a lyric sheet for Too Many Clues in This Room. RMS has the correct lyric.
closetcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 10:30 PM   #16
bjb

I wonder if it's a reference to a real occurrence in history? Our favorite story teller seems to be up on lots of literature
bjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 01:08 AM   #17
kenny

Quote:
Originally posted by closetcanadian:
Sheryl,

Check the liner notes from the Summertime Dream CD or a lyric sheet for Too Many Clues in This Room. RMS has the correct lyric.
Gord, the old salty sea dog wrote "BALLS".
It is in the CD liner notes!
Old 06-26-2005, 01:08 AM   #18
Rich Man Spiritual

Quote:
Originally posted by closetcanadian:
Sheryl,

Gord, the old salty sea dog wrote "BALLS".
It is in the CD liner notes!
Old 06-26-2005, 01:13 AM   #19
Sheryl

Yes, I'd edited my own post to show that I did check the lyrics afterward and said that I stood corrected.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:40 AM   #20
RaisinSpores

Hello. This is my first post as a member. I've posted as a guest, and I've read the message boards many, many times before.

Cussing. Cussing is an art. There is nothing wrong with cussing in songs, and there is nothing wrong with cussing in everyday life, in my opinion. The problem is when songwriters overuse cuss words; you shouldn't use ANY word (other than maybe "the" or "and") 15 times in one song, so why would you use the f-word that many times? The writer should be certain that the word they choose, whether it's a swear or not, is the one that best expresses what they want to. Since GL doesn't swear much in his songs, it gives him a lot of credibility when he does swear, like on the Sundown album.

My favorite cussing singer/songwriter is Jimmy Buffett; it fits well with his seafaring, Gulf Coast attitude: "Good times and riches and son-of-a-bitches, I've seen more than I can recall."
RaisinSpores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 05:40 AM   #21
Winter's Claw

Hello. This is my first post as a member. I've posted as a guest, and I've read the message boards many, many times before.

Cussing. Cussing is an art. There is nothing wrong with cussing in songs, and there is nothing wrong with cussing in everyday life, in my opinion. The problem is when songwriters overuse cuss words; you shouldn't use ANY word (other than maybe "the" or "and") 15 times in one song, so why would you use the f-word that many times? The writer should be certain that the word they choose, whether it's a swear or not, is the one that best expresses what they want to. Since GL doesn't swear much in his songs, it gives him a lot of credibility when he does swear, like on the Sundown album.

My favorite cussing singer/songwriter is Jimmy Buffett; it fits well with his seafaring, Gulf Coast attitude: "Good times and riches and son-of-a-bitches, I've seen more than I can recall."
Winter's Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 02:26 PM   #22
Sheryl

Welcome, Winter's Claw, to the friendliest board and nicest sons-of-*(@^&$@ on the planet! :D
Old 06-26-2005, 07:57 PM   #23
Borderstone

First up...Welcome Winter's Claw! Alsways great to see new folks here. Cool name too,in fact it's the coolest since my own!!! Just kiddin'!

I know I brought up this topic about 2 years ago and at the time I was as surprised about Gord's cursing but now,in comparing it with the "standard" cursing of a lot of modern artists,it really isn't much to get surprised over.

Better one or two words from Gordon than 1,000,006 from the rest! Been me. Later!
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 08:12 PM   #24
kenny

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheryl:
Yes, I'd edited my own post to show that I did check the lyrics afterward and said that I stood corrected.
Hello Sheryl,

I was answering Borderstone sorry for the mix up!
Gotta say that it could sound like bones if you weren't 100% sure!
Old 06-26-2005, 08:12 PM   #25
Rich Man Spiritual

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheryl:
Hello Sheryl,

I was answering Borderstone sorry for the mix up!
Gotta say that it could sound like bones if you weren't 100% sure!