banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 06-29-2005, 10:41 AM   #1
cody

Let me start by saying that I'm a HUGE GL fan. One cannot take that long car ride or camping trip without a plethora of Gord to make the miles melt away or for enjoying the stars and the fire.

I was wondering why this guy has not yet written a book about his life's journey??? I'd LOVE to learn more about him and his life. I've heard many things about Gordon. It's been said that he's had a hard road of both triumphs and hardships. I've heard he's struggled, like all of his peers, with alcoholism. Not to dwell on the negative or personal struggles...just to have a more personal understanding of the man behind this beautiful art.

I was always hoping there would be a two hour "Behind The Music" special dedicated to Gordon. A fascinating story and journey indeed.
Again, I'm not looking for "the dirt," or expecting his story to be anything like that of a Motley Crue...just would like to hear it all...the triumphs and hardships simply to better understand an artist whom I adore.

Is he arrogant, humble, bratty, quiet....? Does he really possess Native North American lineage? How do people he's worked with and been close to him through the years percieve him? Those insider friends, lovers and peers stories would truly be interesting. Though, I'm sure there are stories that he would rather not share.

Yes, a book or DVD compilation story chock full of old footage would be so very appreciated. And I know there are those who are thinking, "who cares about Gord's personal interests, and disappointing hardships? Why cant we just embrace his life through his art?

I care and I do. He's merely a gifted mortal human being. My fondness of him and his art makes me long to better know him in that very way.

How can I find out more about Gordon Lightfoot? Are there any compilation performance film footage available? DOES ANYONE have a Gordon Lightfoot story to share???
cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:41 AM   #2
WanderLust

Let me start by saying that I'm a HUGE GL fan. One cannot take that long car ride or camping trip without a plethora of Gord to make the miles melt away or for enjoying the stars and the fire.

I was wondering why this guy has not yet written a book about his life's journey??? I'd LOVE to learn more about him and his life. I've heard many things about Gordon. It's been said that he's had a hard road of both triumphs and hardships. I've heard he's struggled, like all of his peers, with alcoholism. Not to dwell on the negative or personal struggles...just to have a more personal understanding of the man behind this beautiful art.

I was always hoping there would be a two hour "Behind The Music" special dedicated to Gordon. A fascinating story and journey indeed.
Again, I'm not looking for "the dirt," or expecting his story to be anything like that of a Motley Crue...just would like to hear it all...the triumphs and hardships simply to better understand an artist whom I adore.

Is he arrogant, humble, bratty, quiet....? Does he really possess Native North American lineage? How do people he's worked with and been close to him through the years percieve him? Those insider friends, lovers and peers stories would truly be interesting. Though, I'm sure there are stories that he would rather not share.

Yes, a book or DVD compilation story chock full of old footage would be so very appreciated. And I know there are those who are thinking, "who cares about Gord's personal interests, and disappointing hardships? Why cant we just embrace his life through his art?

I care and I do. He's merely a gifted mortal human being. My fondness of him and his art makes me long to better know him in that very way.

How can I find out more about Gordon Lightfoot? Are there any compilation performance film footage available? DOES ANYONE have a Gordon Lightfoot story to share???
Old 06-29-2005, 10:51 AM   #3
Gord H

There was a book about him called If You Could Read His Mind, and the CBC has plenty of archival material about him online.

As far as Gord writing a book personally, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it, I recall at one time he said he wasn't interested in doing it.

Gord H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 11:31 AM   #4
cody

So there is a book out there. Have you read it or know of it's publishing date? I'd be very interested and am hoping its still in print. I'm suspecting that it might be from the 70s which would make it quite an item for collectors.

I've seen plenty of interesting early footage but never compiled in chronological order intertwind with a narrative story of his career.

Too bad he's "not interested" in writing a book as much as I'm interested in reading it. Perhaps he's just a private person and doesn't wish to share his story. The whole story, including the parts about the 70's wilder decadent Gordon Lightfoot that I've heard so much about. The one with the sunglasses and the long hair and how that guy dealt with topping the charts.

Thanks for the info about the book that is available!

:D :D :D :D
Old 06-29-2005, 11:31 AM   #5
WanderLust

So there is a book out there. Have you read it or know of it's publishing date? I'd be very interested and am hoping its still in print. I'm suspecting that it might be from the 70s which would make it quite an item for collectors.

I've seen plenty of interesting early footage but never compiled in chronological order intertwind with a narrative story of his career.

Too bad he's "not interested" in writing a book as much as I'm interested in reading it. Perhaps he's just a private person and doesn't wish to share his story. The whole story, including the parts about the 70's wilder decadent Gordon Lightfoot that I've heard so much about. The one with the sunglasses and the long hair and how that guy dealt with topping the charts.

Thanks for the info about the book that is available!

:D :D :D :D
Old 06-29-2005, 02:43 PM   #6
GJA

The book "If You Could Read His Mind" is not in print anymore but can sometimes be had on ebay. I bought a copy that way, then resold it. I resold it because it was so expensive! There is also an earlier bio of him that you can also sometimes get on ebay. I also bought and resold that one.

I always assumed he must have Native North American lineage but actually, his ancestors are from Scotland!!
GJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:43 PM   #7
GJA

The book "If You Could Read His Mind" is not in print anymore but can sometimes be had on ebay. I bought a copy that way, then resold it. I resold it because it was so expensive! There is also an earlier bio of him that you can also sometimes get on ebay. I also bought and resold that one.

I always assumed he must have Native North American lineage but actually, his ancestors are from Scotland!!
GJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:02 PM   #8
charlene

Lightfoot said something about writing a book at one of the Massey shows in May. But he didn't think anyone would want to read it...he'd be leaving out the good parts!
lol

I think he'll continue to write about his life in his songs...
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:02 PM   #9
charlene

Lightfoot said something about writing a book at one of the Massey shows in May. But he didn't think anyone would want to read it...he'd be leaving out the good parts!
lol

I think he'll continue to write about his life in his songs...
Old 06-29-2005, 04:34 PM   #10
Auburn Annie

I've volunteered to "ghost" for him anytime, LOL, or with byline if he wants to do an "as told to" autobiography. I suggested one time he should write one just for his kids and grandkids - for when they're all old enough to read it.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:34 PM   #11
Auburn Annie

I've volunteered to "ghost" for him anytime, LOL, or with byline if he wants to do an "as told to" autobiography. I suggested one time he should write one just for his kids and grandkids - for when they're all old enough to read it.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:56 AM   #12
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Well All Right a certain young lady journalist who knows Gordon well enough to give him confidential personal weather reports
by cell phone and sometimes frequents these forums is extremely keen to write a full biography but despite pesterring Gord
and his manager Barry Harvey for years as of the recent Massey Hall concerts I do believe she is still hopeful.
Correct Bruna/silverheels??
As far as already published bios go there are two that I know aboot
both are depicted on:-
http://www.lightfoot.ca/biograph.htm
the best is probably the one by Alfriedo Gabiou.

The second "If You Could Read His Mind" by Maynard Collins

is generally rated to be more sensationalist and I believe the considered advice is that if you get a copy do not ask Gordon
to autograph it!!
As mentioned above both occassionally appear in ebay auction but of course none at this very moment!!
John Fowles
And ever after I will be remembered
In my fashion, in my way
Otherwise listen to a Painter Passing Through or In My Fashion
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:56 AM   #13
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Well All Right a certain young lady journalist who knows Gordon well enough to give him confidential personal weather reports
by cell phone and sometimes frequents these forums is extremely keen to write a full biography but despite pesterring Gord
and his manager Barry Harvey for years as of the recent Massey Hall concerts I do believe she is still hopeful.
Correct Bruna/silverheels??
As far as already published bios go there are two that I know aboot
both are depicted on:-
http://www.lightfoot.ca/biograph.htm
the best is probably the one by Alfriedo Gabiou.

The second "If You Could Read His Mind" by Maynard Collins

is generally rated to be more sensationalist and I believe the considered advice is that if you get a copy do not ask Gordon
to autograph it!!
As mentioned above both occassionally appear in ebay auction but of course none at this very moment!!
John Fowles
And ever after I will be remembered
In my fashion, in my way
Otherwise listen to a Painter Passing Through or In My Fashion
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 06:16 PM   #14
ricky Jay

I had found out a long time ago that his ancestors are Scottish, but with a last name like Lightfoot, it seems so strange that he wouldn't have a drop of Native American blood. Oh well, whatever Gord says.
ricky Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 06:16 PM   #15
Shazia

I had found out a long time ago that his ancestors are Scottish, but with a last name like Lightfoot, it seems so strange that he wouldn't have a drop of Native American blood. Oh well, whatever Gord says.
Shazia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 06:42 PM   #16
violet Blue

The story about the toilet. Hmmmmmm.

While I go in search of a copy of the book, which may take awhile, care to relate the "Story of the Toilet"?

Quote:
Originally posted by MistyMoppens:
For a long time "If You Could Read His Mind" was going for between $75-$115 at eBay. I enjoyed it. There were a lot of great pictures of not only Gordon but family, friends, girlfriends, the band, etc.

I still can't get over that story about the toilet.... He said something like, "But it was a CLEAN toilet!"

omg
violet Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:52 PM   #17
GJA

Cathy Smith said in her book "Chasing the Dragon" (I think that is what it is called) said that in one fight he pushed her head in a toilet. When asked about that, he said "The water was clean". I think this was in his drinking days.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:52 PM   #18
GJA

Cathy Smith said in her book "Chasing the Dragon" (I think that is what it is called) said that in one fight he pushed her head in a toilet. When asked about that, he said "The water was clean". I think this was in his drinking days.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:53 AM   #19
cody

I could not help but "lol" at the "swirly" reference! The visual gives a whole new meaning to the song "For Lovin Me" (that's what ya get)
hahahhaha

Thanks to each and every one of you for the excellent info. I've found everything I've been wondering about, (and wondering for along time I might add,) here and in only two days!

As far as his linage...I'd heard he's half anglo and half Native North American. His fair skin and reddish hair would support his Scottish claim. My ancestors were Scottish and came from Europe down through Canada by way of the great Viking trail from New Foundland. (the trail where they say the first white baby was born in North America) My family also acquired some native American linage through their journey.

Perhaps Gordon was a McInally and changed his name to Lightfoot to be more musically viable like John Mellencamp did to Cougar. Honestly, I dont think musicians were changing names as early as Gordon came onto the scene in the early 60s. It's also not likely that "Lightfoot" is a traceable Scottish name. Perhaps his dad was native and his mother was Scottish...or his dad was half....WHO KNOWS? heh heh

Does it matter? Sure would be interesting to know is all.

Cannot WAIT to get my hands on these books! Thanks again!
Old 07-01-2005, 06:53 AM   #20
WanderLust

I could not help but "lol" at the "swirly" reference! The visual gives a whole new meaning to the song "For Lovin Me" (that's what ya get)
hahahhaha

Thanks to each and every one of you for the excellent info. I've found everything I've been wondering about, (and wondering for along time I might add,) here and in only two days!

As far as his linage...I'd heard he's half anglo and half Native North American. His fair skin and reddish hair would support his Scottish claim. My ancestors were Scottish and came from Europe down through Canada by way of the great Viking trail from New Foundland. (the trail where they say the first white baby was born in North America) My family also acquired some native American linage through their journey.

Perhaps Gordon was a McInally and changed his name to Lightfoot to be more musically viable like John Mellencamp did to Cougar. Honestly, I dont think musicians were changing names as early as Gordon came onto the scene in the early 60s. It's also not likely that "Lightfoot" is a traceable Scottish name. Perhaps his dad was native and his mother was Scottish...or his dad was half....WHO KNOWS? heh heh

Old 07-01-2005, 10:07 AM   #21
bjorn

Quote:
Originally posted by WanderLust:
hahahhaha

Gord was born a Lightfoot and when asked about his anscestory, has been quoted as saying "I'm Scottish all the way."
His father was Gordon Lightfoot Sr.
Despite the native American sound of it, Lightfoot is actually of a name of Scottish/English origin.
Erica
bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:07 AM   #22
Sundreme

Quote:
Originally posted by WanderLust:
hahahhaha

Gord was born a Lightfoot and when asked about his anscestory, has been quoted as saying "I'm Scottish all the way."
His father was Gordon Lightfoot Sr.
Despite the native American sound of it, Lightfoot is actually of a name of Scottish/English origin.
Erica
Sundreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:59 AM   #23
charlene

as is my married name - Westbrook... Scottish/English,although it could be and has been thought to be a native name.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:59 AM   #24
charlene

as is my married name - Westbrook... Scottish/English,although it could be and has been thought to be a native name.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:51 PM   #25
violet Blue

Well now who fights in a bathroom anyway, sheesh? Two places to never have a knock down drag out, the bathroom and the kitchen. Always go for the room with the softest furniture and no sharp knives.

Quote:
Originally posted by GJA:
violet Blue is offline   Reply With Quote