banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2009, 06:30 AM   #1
jj

Default *Links to Lightfoot Interviews

similar to the Covers forum thread listing past live online Lightfoot television Performances, feel free to add any links to these online Lightfoot television and radio Interviews ...eventually, perhaps these can be added off the Home page as is the case with the assortment of printed interviews found here

for starters, here's an early 'songwriting' chat that some fans may not have seen

Down Centre - Vancouver - 1969
http://archives.cbc.ca/arts_entertai...ic/clips/4653/

and a few others, chronologically:

Telescope - CBC - 1967
http://archives.cbc.ca/arts_entertai...ic/clips/4678/

Elwood Glover Luncheon Date - CTV - 1975
http://archives.cbc.ca/arts_entertai...ic/topics/743/

Pamela Wallin Live - CBC - 1997
http://archives.cbc.ca/arts_entertai...ic/topics/743/

Heather Hiscox - CBC - 2004
Heather Hiscox

George Stroumboulopoulos - The Hour - CBC - 2008
The Hour with George Stroumboulopoulos

Jian Ghomeshi - QTV - 2009
QTV Exclusive

...any interviews available from the 1980s era?

Last edited by jj; 09-09-2009 at 12:32 PM.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:12 AM   #2
Acadia

Default Re: *Links to Lightfoot Interviews

Thanks for posting those links. I wasn't aware of all that CBC archival material. The footage of Mr. Lightfoot walking around and discussing Orillia in the late 60's was really interesting, as was the talk with the school children. He was oozing coolness without it seeming contrived or put on--he is just naturally cool.
Acadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
jj

glad you found something new in there, acadia...i figured there must be some members that missed some of these

the Orillia clip is a segment from a longer telecast that often runs in the CBC lobby/museum called Telescope/Lightfoot Forward with Fletcher Markle ...it's got Stockfish, Shea and Gord in studio recording Pussywillow Cattails and interview clips from Gords Toronto mansion ...thanks for the comments as I love hearing what jumps out at folks from these gems

note: there are 14 Gord tv/radio clips in CBC archives so keep clicking around or put in Lightfoot for a search and enjoy...the Elwood appearance is bed head Gord in his prime, imo
Old 09-11-2009, 12:28 AM   #4
Acadia

Oh wow, yes the full length version of the Orillia clip sounds fascinating, and to see Red Shea and J. Stockfish in the studio recording that legendary number with Mr. Lightfoot would be well worth a trip to the CBC museum--too bad they don't include that part in the internet archives.

I found the Elwood appearance really amusing--total Sundown era Lightfoot--the look and everything. I was wondering if those were his glasses he kept playing with during the interview, he seemed to just randomly pick them up off the table.

Thanks again for posting these, they were great.
Acadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:36 AM   #5
formerlylavender

I like that Elwood interview too. I rewatched it yesterday - someone posted it a few years back. I was wondering about the glasses too - it seems like a nervous habit. They were probably Elwood's and he didn't want to say "stop fiddling with my glasses"! I love Gord's look/attitude during this period. VERY easy on the eyes!
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadia View Post
I was wondering if those were his glasses he kept playing with during the interview, he seemed to just randomly pick them up off the table.
God carries them out with him as he enters the set...I guess they're his...I think he is wishing those glasses were a cigarette

I can't make out who Gord says is his business manager at that time...anyone?
Old 09-11-2009, 01:38 PM   #7
charlene

He walks in with his glasses in his hand.. I think he says 'Bruce" to someone off camera when they speak about the '70' million dollars..
He's a fidgety sort of guy...he now hangs his glasses on the neck of his t-shirts and fiddles with a Sharpie..
lol
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:07 PM   #8
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
God (sic) carries

I can't make out who Gord says is his business manager at that time...anyone?
I guess you are really into worshipping this man

Tut Tut Jimbo time for a water blast at the old doctor's??

I could clearly hear "Al Mair"'s name in between being mesmerised by Gord's spectacle twirling
see:-
http://www.lightfoot.ca/chron02.htm

under 1969

Talking of Gord's general managers, I recall talking to one of Al's successors in the auditorium of a concert a few years back about the CBC archive videos and wishfully remarked about the 1968 television special, the GM went fairly ballistic about the CBC being the worst offenders for flouting the rules of copyright, I gathered because they had no permission to put the assortment of great clips such as Elwood's on their website

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 09-11-2009 at 03:10 PM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:35 PM   #9
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
I could clearly hear "Al Mair"'s name in between being mesmerised by Gord's spectacle twirling
http://www.lightfoot.ca/chron02.htm

under 1969[/SIZE]

good ears, John! thanks, I've not heard of him
Old 09-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #10
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadia View Post
Oh wow, yes the full length version of the Orillia clip sounds fascinating, and to see Red Shea and J. Stockfish in the studio recording that legendary number with Mr. Lightfoot would be well worth a trip to the CBC museum--too bad they don't include that part in the internet archives.
i tied to load it but they wouldnt allow the audio...and i dont know where that white dot came from...happy viewing anyhow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXgAY...eature=channel
Old 09-12-2009, 01:27 AM   #11
bjb

Thanks for these links -- watching them is a great warmup for the Massey Hall shows this fall!
bjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:09 AM   #12
jj

hey, it will be good to see you, b

I believe there are more 'audio' links out there...add away
Old 09-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #13
youngstranger

Looks really interesting, Gord interviews are rare it's a pity we can't hear what he's saying. Any chance of making the clip availible with audio through rapidshare or someplace?

Thanks for uploading anyway.
youngstranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:49 PM   #14
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

OK I have one to add
It is not exactly a GL interview but a rather amusuing anecdote from a fellow musician Tom Russell
http://gordonlightfoot.fileave.com/G...om_Russell.mp3 (1.83MB 4 minutes at 64KBPS)
Right click that link and "Save Target As"
this came to me last year thanks to some Mental Jim Nasticks by one Jim Nasium in the UK
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread...hlight=russell
Tom Russell talks and sings GL
and who is Tom Rusell? a 56 year old American from Los Angeles
from his wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Russell
"In addition to his music, Russell also paints folk art, and has published a book of songwriting quotes (co-edited with Sylvia Tyson),"
I googled for Tom Russell Gordon Lightgfot and found a blog posting by Tom in which he lists some of the 80 songs on a hand written list taped to Gord's guitar at Newport in 1965
fascinating reading
It also includes this gem of a vision:-
"the crowd parts, like the Red Sea, and people are shrieking and applauding, and here’s Lightfoot himself, walking through the crowd with a guitar case. Damn, it’s Jesus coming to town on a mule, armed with an antique wooden machine gun. Then he’s on stage, singing an old song. People are weeping...."
Plus a comment as made in the recording
"(I thought, holy shit. I'm auditioning for Gordon Lightfoot.")

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:17 PM   #15
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
a rather amusuing anecdote from a fellow musician Tom Russell
i settled into that mp3 finally and enjoyed it, thanks, john!
Old 09-27-2009, 02:38 PM   #16
Music Fan

Where can I find a video clip of the Telescope Segment of 1967 with "sound" on it. This "You Tube" version is a "pain in the ass" to watch with the audio removed for copyright reasons.

It really annoys me when I can't hear what Lightfoot is saying or talking about or singing.

I hope there someone who could direct me to a site that has audio, and could show me download it - if possible, because I hate to watch an interesting clip where I have to pretend I'm deaf when I watch it.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:46 PM   #17
Music Fan

By the way in regards to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Fan View Post
Where can I find a video clip of the Telescope Segment of 1967 with "sound" on it. This "You Tube" version is a "pain in the ass" to watch with the audio removed for copyright reasons.

It really annoys me when I can't hear what Lightfoot is saying or talking about or singing.

I hope there someone who could direct me to a site that has audio, and could show me download it - if possible, because I hate to watch an interesting clip where I have to pretend I'm deaf when I watch it.
This was a reaction to the entries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
i tied to load it but they wouldnt allow the audio...and i dont know where that white dot came from...happy viewing anyhow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXgAY...eature=channel
and the attempt to play it. Was I the only one here who had trouble with this?

Man, I can't understand why it's there, when the audio is "blocked out" due to copyright standards.

By the way again, if you can find a site which has the audio to the video clip or come up with some advice for me, in order to get over this, please respond to this quote.

Thankyou
Old 09-27-2009, 11:58 PM   #18
charlene

the clip was posted so folks could at least have access to at least the images.
there is no video with audio available.
i'm sure you can get over it.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:29 PM   #19
Music Fan

If the clip for this segment was to have access to the images, then I guess, I will never watch it again. If I want to have access to images I would look at the picture gallery to this site or try and get a poster from Ebay. Still the less, I am quite dissapointed as I watch the clips and hope to hear what he has to say, and learn something from it. He is one of those people who is intended for the ear rather than the eye. His voice and vocabulary, and musical artistry are the main reasons why I watch these clips. By the way, is there any footage from BBC in Concert performance?

This is one I would like to see, but never had the opportunity.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:56 PM   #20
charlene

yes, we are all disappointed but the images are still worth a look..we all understand what you're saying about the fact that he's meant to be heard.

there is no BBC concert footage that I'm aware of. visual or audio..
another disappointment..

Old 09-29-2009, 08:07 AM   #21
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Fan View Post
Was I the only one here who had trouble with this?

Man, I can't understand why it's there, when the audio is "blocked out" due to copyright standards.

By the way again, if you can find a site which has the audio to the video clip or come up with some advice for me, in order to get over this, please respond to this quote.

Thankyou
hi, the audio was blocked for ALL viewer (see the note at the bottom of the video) so you are not being discriminated against...if i'd known it was gonna be blocked i probably wouldnt' have bothered loading it but once it was up i thought some might still like to see the images (i think there's a huge difference between seeing old still photos and seeing old moving pictures/video even without sound...maybe we need to add subtitles when free time permits)...if it's coming across as a tease then i should take it down, let me know your thoughts and what you thought of the Telescope segments that DO have audio that you can find at the CBC archives

i hope folks (even rare or new posters like yourself) occasionally discuss the interviews offered here and don't just whiz by to view and/or download and move on...tell us about your first Gord discovery and if you've seen him on the current tour, etc, etc...and any bootlegs to pass along?
Old 11-12-2009, 07:13 AM   #22
Jesse Joe

Here I am... I suppose this is the thread you mentioned jj !

So this is the link to the interview Gord gave to 680 News in March 2009, plus as a bonus a tour of his new place. The camera work was not 100% but to simply view & hear Gordon Lightfoot showing some of his stuff was well worth it.

http://www.680news.com/news/video-ga...03_165342_6340
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:31 AM   #23
Jesse Joe

These two links here also works for me, goes directly to the interview... Maybe try it out jj or anyone else & let me know if you can view them.

Part 1 {the interview}

http://qml.quiettouch.com/files/radi...tfoot_main.wmv

Part 2 {the tour of his new home}

http://qml.quiettouch.com/files/radi...tfoot_home.wmv
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:38 PM   #24
charlene

2011 on The Hour:
2015 - The Strombo Show -
Old 01-13-2016, 11:13 PM   #25
joveski

is it just me, but those direct links to the interviews dont work and just take me to the main page and the search option doesnt work?
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote