banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 09:42 PM   #1151
<quime>

my favorite song is boss man.

back when I was a wee 17 year old, I dated a girl who was hot, cute, and really nice. well, on the night ofour 1st date, I come to the door, and she answers, and her father tells her to go get ready or something (cant quite remember), and he invites me in. he tells me to have a seat on the couch. he goes back into his room to get something, and then comes out and shows me his 357 magmum! (This guy is about 6 foot 4, and must weigh at least 250 pounds, and he really wouldn't have needed a gun to deal with me) he says "I'm tellin' ya now, sonny, I'm the boss man, and whatever I say goes. And I'm tellin' you right now sonny, i better not catch you kissin or gettin fresh with her or ANYTHING like that, or i'll blow your a** straight to h*ll". Needless to say, I didn't treat her inappropriately or anything.

The entire time we dated, that guy was always trying to terrorizing and harassing me, threatening to beat me up, etc.. he'd always refer to himself as the "boss man". now, i wish i'd have known about the gord song 'boss man' back then :D i never quite forgot that guy, and when i hear the gL song boss man, i get all excited, and I am reminded of that girls mean a** father!

if i'd known about this song back then, i could've told him "it'll be murder in the first degree if you ever lay your hands on me" :D
Old 05-19-2005, 12:22 AM   #1152
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

So, how old are you now, Quime?
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 06:33 PM   #1153
Steele's Tavern

here's my favorites-

Something Very Special- Love the guitar in this song.

You are what I am- Very upbeat. I've always liked Gord's country songs...

Seven Island Suite- Nice melody

Bend in the water- Another upbeat song

Sea of Tranquility!!!- Probably my all-time fave Lightfoot song. Love Pee Wee's steel

14 Karat Gold- just agood song.

Heaven Help the Devil- One of Gord's darker and more eerie-sounding songs (well, I think so)

Salute (Believe it or not!!)- I like 80's!!

Anything for Love (Again, belive it or not)

The No Hotel- GREAT melody with humorous lyrics and great bass by Rick.

Flyin Blind- Red's on this one!!

btw, I'm 13 years old.
Steele's Tavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 06:33 PM   #1154
Diggerboy91

here's my favorites-

Something Very Special- Love the guitar in this song.

You are what I am- Very upbeat. I've always liked Gord's country songs...

Seven Island Suite- Nice melody

Bend in the water- Another upbeat song

Sea of Tranquility!!!- Probably my all-time fave Lightfoot song. Love Pee Wee's steel

14 Karat Gold- just agood song.

Heaven Help the Devil- One of Gord's darker and more eerie-sounding songs (well, I think so)

Salute (Believe it or not!!)- I like 80's!!

Anything for Love (Again, belive it or not)

The No Hotel- GREAT melody with humorous lyrics and great bass by Rick.

Flyin Blind- Red's on this one!!

btw, I'm 13 years old.
Diggerboy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:25 PM   #1155
Borderstone

13???!! Wow! You were born when I was 25!!

...but,I don't feel old,no not at all! :D

Also,just leaving a message to check in folks!

As usual,I've ben a busy B! Type at ya later!:cool;
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 12:29 AM   #1156
The Rez

Favorites:

Is it possible that the songs we call our favorites are the songs that touch a moment in our lives that no one elsen knows.

In the South they say, "You been readin' my mail."

How marvelous; how wonderful, when one man can read so much of my mail for so many moons - and yours. And yet write out of his own need, which may or may not line up w/ our "mail."

Such is art and love: Gord, Van Gogh, Twyla Tharpe, Jane Goodall, Michelangelo, Poor Richard, Rick's Bass glide on Big Blue that paints the most acurate picture of leviatan to shiver my imagination, The Girl w/ The Pearl Earing, The Thinker, Wuthering Heigts while falling in love w/ Emily Bronte 200 yrs gone - The Road, Holden Caulfield, Tom Joad - and . . .

did I mention Gord?

Tonite I'm joinin a certain reverie: The Last Time I Saw Her Face.

The Rez,

. . . may the songs of all the Angels sing with in your soul
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:49 PM   #1157
Sarah

The list is as long as the box set for me. But one of my favorites is one that not many Gordo fans pay attention to. It's on the box set, and that's the first I heard of it-"Song for a winter's night". Sitting in a favorite chair in December with all the lights off, maybe some candles and definitely a fire going, and your sweetheart in arm...it doesnt get much better than that. Those sleigh bells ringing, and that quiet clicking sound in the background-the guaranteed way to fall asleep in just under 3 minutes, or something else-if you know what I mean?!
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:49 PM   #1158
Bella

The list is as long as the box set for me. But one of my favorites is one that not many Gordo fans pay attention to. It's on the box set, and that's the first I heard of it-"Song for a winter's night". Sitting in a favorite chair in December with all the lights off, maybe some candles and definitely a fire going, and your sweetheart in arm...it doesnt get much better than that. Those sleigh bells ringing, and that quiet clicking sound in the background-the guaranteed way to fall asleep in just under 3 minutes, or something else-if you know what I mean?!
Bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:09 AM   #1159
Andy T.

Send a message via AIM to Andy T.

he has way too many songs but a new one i really like is "Inspiration Lady" it's so sweet and the video makes really nice....so that's my pic
Old 05-25-2005, 09:09 AM   #1160
Sarah

he has way too many songs but a new one i really like is "Inspiration Lady" it's so sweet and the video makes really nice....so that's my pic
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 02:14 PM   #1161
ricky Jay

Lately I've been really liking "Marie Christine," "Don't Beat Me Down," "The Gypsy," and "The Last Time I Saw Her."
ricky Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 02:14 PM   #1162
Shazia

Lately I've been really liking "Marie Christine," "Don't Beat Me Down," "The Gypsy," and "The Last Time I Saw Her."
Shazia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 07:51 PM   #1163
The Rez

Evenin' all:

The Song that Touches Me Most Tonight ("favorite" just seems wrong.):

"Looking at the Rain"

The Rez

. . . how could he know of Cindy-So-Long-Ago?
[Psalm 139:13]
Old 05-30-2005, 08:31 PM   #1164
Minstrel of the Dusk

Tatoo is a great song because it reveals so much
in what is said. It has elements of defeatist self pity like so many country songs and yet there is a triumph of love amid the tragedy conveyed in the song. The failure of the night, the druncken indiscretion of wandering back into the parlor actualy becomes a sacred meditation upon the permanence of love and friendship The Tatoo didn't cost much but it blumes on forever like true love. You can't purchas it. When you have it you are stuck with it, even when you are drinking too much and wandering into tatoo parlors. The song has a good melody as well and starts out like a last ditch letter to a lost friend. Whatever you think of me I'm still your friend so other than nothin whats new. You don't know how many times I have wanted to say just that to a lost friend whom I still love.
Minstrel of the Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 08:31 PM   #1165
patrick

Tatoo is a great song because it reveals so much
in what is said. It has elements of defeatist self pity like so many country songs and yet there is a triumph of love amid the tragedy conveyed in the song. The failure of the night, the druncken indiscretion of wandering back into the parlor actualy becomes a sacred meditation upon the permanence of love and friendship The Tatoo didn't cost much but it blumes on forever like true love. You can't purchas it. When you have it you are stuck with it, even when you are drinking too much and wandering into tatoo parlors. The song has a good melody as well and starts out like a last ditch letter to a lost friend. Whatever you think of me I'm still your friend so other than nothin whats new. You don't know how many times I have wanted to say just that to a lost friend whom I still love.
patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 09:13 PM   #1166
Tyler

Quote:
Originally posted by Bella:
Ah you are wrong Bella, there are many of us that love that song. Gord has been playing it in his concerts lately, sounds fantastic! Little Barry does a great job on the percussion.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 09:13 PM   #1167
brink

Quote:
Originally posted by Bella:
Ah you are wrong Bella, there are many of us that love that song. Gord has been playing it in his concerts lately, sounds fantastic! Little Barry does a great job on the percussion.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:14 AM   #1168
The Rez

"On Susan's Floor" and Gord's story.

That Gord didn't write it (Shel Silversteen and another gentleman whose name I can't get right now) makes no difference at all.

For Gord there was a "Susan."
For Shel there was a "Susan."
For me there was a "Susan"

To be bold, if a young musician didn't have a "Susan" that would be a sorrow.

Still, it is Gord's version that introduced me to the song which describes so perfectly the Scufflin' Days of Dreams.

Just one more night on that long-ago floor - even now for this old man - would be a form of Heaven.

The Rez
[Psalm 139:13]
Old 05-31-2005, 11:49 PM   #1169
MisterHoot'nholler

Song For A Winter's Night has always been one of my very favorite Gord tunes. It is 104 out here in the good old LV desert today and I was listening to this song on the way to work! Love those sleigh bells. Also adore "Circle of Steel."
MisterHoot'nholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 11:49 PM   #1170
Laci

Song For A Winter's Night has always been one of my very favorite Gord tunes. It is 104 out here in the good old LV desert today and I was listening to this song on the way to work! Love those sleigh bells. Also adore "Circle of Steel."
Old 05-31-2005, 11:52 PM   #1171
MisterHoot'nholler

I just had to post the lyrics to this song. It is so beautiful.

Rows of lights in a circle of steel
Where you place your bets on a great big wheel
High windows flickerin’ down through the snow
A time you know
Sights and sounds of the people goin’ ’round
Everybody’s in step with the season
A child is born to a welfare case
Where the rats run around like they own the place
The room is chilly, the building is old
That’s how it goes
The doctor’s found on his welfare round
And he comes and he leaves on the double

Deck the halls was the song they played
In the flat next door where they shout all day
She tips her gin bottle back till it’s gone
The child is strong
A week, a day, they will take it away
For they know about all her bad habits

Christmas dawns and the snow lets up
And the sun hits the handle of her heirloom cup
She hides her face in her hands for a while
Says look here child
Your father’s pride was his means to provide
And he’s servin’ three years for that reason

A time you know
MisterHoot'nholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 11:52 PM   #1172
Laci

I just had to post the lyrics to this song. It is so beautiful.

A time you know
A child is born to a welfare case
Where the rats run around like they own the place
The room is chilly, the building is old
That’s how it goes
The doctor’s found on his welfare round
And he comes and he leaves on the double

Deck the halls was the song they played
In the flat next door where they shout all day
She tips her gin bottle back till it’s gone
The child is strong
A week, a day, they will take it away
For they know about all her bad habits

Christmas dawns and the snow lets up
And the sun hits the handle of her heirloom cup
She hides her face in her hands for a while
Says look here child
Your father’s pride was his means to provide
And he’s servin’ three years for that reason

A time you know
Old 06-11-2005, 10:09 PM   #1173
<wombat>

I've only been reading this topic for a few months, and I've already realized tat it would be impossible to say what my favorite Lightfoot song is. There are just too many great ones. I might be able to name 10 or so on any given day, but the next day half of them might be different. I propose narrowing the criteria a bit: What's your favorite CHEERFUL G.L. song? I can only think of a few offhand; Summertime Dream, Hangdog Hotel, Cotton Jenny, Beautiful? Most of his songs are about the traditional Country music topics: Cheating, Love Lost, I Wish I Would Have Done That Differently, with a few about shipwrecks too So why is his music so superior to most country stuff? Just pure talent and passion, I guess. Not wearing a big cowboy hat onstage might be a help. too......
Old 06-11-2005, 10:09 PM   #1174
<wombat>

I've only been reading this topic for a few months, and I've already realized tat it would be impossible to say what my favorite Lightfoot song is. There are just too many great ones. I might be able to name 10 or so on any given day, but the next day half of them might be different. I propose narrowing the criteria a bit: What's your favorite CHEERFUL G.L. song? I can only think of a few offhand; Summertime Dream, Hangdog Hotel, Cotton Jenny, Beautiful? Most of his songs are about the traditional Country music topics: Cheating, Love Lost, I Wish I Would Have Done That Differently, with a few about shipwrecks too So why is his music so superior to most country stuff? Just pure talent and passion, I guess. Not wearing a big cowboy hat onstage might be a help. too......
Old 06-11-2005, 10:32 PM   #1175
mnmouse

Quote:
Originally posted by &lt;wombat&gt;:
I propose narrowing the criteria a bit: What's your favorite CHEERFUL G.L. song?
After my daughter was born, I was holding her in my arms, searching my mind for a special lullabye, and suddenly, although I had not listened to it in as many as 10 years, the tune and the words to "Fine as Fine Can Be" came rolling out, so easily.

It was there...waiting in my heart, I guess...for the right moment and place in time to pull it out again. Even now, at 12, she sometimes asks me to sing it to her again...and for just a little while we share the magic.

Mouse