banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-17-2004, 11:52 AM   #1
Gord

This is completely a shocker to me... some of you may know that in the beginning when GL started to use a drummer, prior to having Barry Keane as the permanent drummer a fellow by the name of Jim Gordon played on the Sundown LP and he played on the song " The House You Live In"...

Just reading an article in Modern Drummer I was shocked to hear of the tragic fate that would await Jim Gordon...

" How about Jim Gordon?
Hal: Of course Jim turned out to be a very sad case. [Gordon was convicted for the murder of his mother.] He was a young guy who I started hiring when I was contracting a lot. He was a fine player, really good reader. I hired him a lot. I have some great pictures of him and I somewhere around the studios in Hollywood. I started writing him letters five or six years ago, and he wrote back. He had the tiniest writing you ever saw. He was at the Atascadero State Prison For The Mentally Insane. I wrote him that I was going to be up near him and I’d like to see him. I got a letter back and he said you’re going to have to get permission from the prison people. So I wrote a letter to the prison people, they sent me these applications, and I sent it to them. It took some weeks, and then I got a letter saying I’d been approved to visit between Monday and Wednesday. I wrote back to Jim and told him I expect to be up there in about a week, so hopefully I’d see him the following Tuesday. I got a letter right back saying, "No, don’t come." So then I wrote him back again, asking, "What’s the problem?" He said, "You’re liable to hurt your reputation." So I wrote him back again and said, "Jim, don’t worry about my reputation. I would like to see you." Unfortunately it never panned out.
"
Old 06-17-2004, 11:52 AM   #2
Gord

This is completely a shocker to me... some of you may know that in the beginning when GL started to use a drummer, prior to having Barry Keane as the permanent drummer a fellow by the name of Jim Gordon played on the Sundown LP and he played on the song " The House You Live In"...

Just reading an article in Modern Drummer I was shocked to hear of the tragic fate that would await Jim Gordon...

" How about Jim Gordon?
Hal: Of course Jim turned out to be a very sad case. [Gordon was convicted for the murder of his mother.] He was a young guy who I started hiring when I was contracting a lot. He was a fine player, really good reader. I hired him a lot. I have some great pictures of him and I somewhere around the studios in Hollywood. I started writing him letters five or six years ago, and he wrote back. He had the tiniest writing you ever saw. He was at the Atascadero State Prison For The Mentally Insane. I wrote him that I was going to be up near him and I’d like to see him. I got a letter back and he said you’re going to have to get permission from the prison people. So I wrote a letter to the prison people, they sent me these applications, and I sent it to them. It took some weeks, and then I got a letter saying I’d been approved to visit between Monday and Wednesday. I wrote back to Jim and told him I expect to be up there in about a week, so hopefully I’d see him the following Tuesday. I got a letter right back saying, "No, don’t come." So then I wrote him back again, asking, "What’s the problem?" He said, "You’re liable to hurt your reputation." So I wrote him back again and said, "Jim, don’t worry about my reputation. I would like to see you." Unfortunately it never panned out.
"
Old 06-17-2004, 12:12 PM   #3
2Much2Lose

quote:Originally posted by Gord:

"

I used to have a link to the article from the Rolling Stones, "When the Voices Took Over" article, but it seems to be expired. I did find an article though which seems to cover the tragedy. From what I've read, Jim Gordon was extremely well respected and sought after for studio sessions.
http://www.iem.ac.ru/clapton/article....washpost.html
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 12:12 PM   #4
Jenney

quote:Originally posted by Gord:

"

I used to have a link to the article from the Rolling Stones, "When the Voices Took Over" article, but it seems to be expired. I did find an article though which seems to cover the tragedy. From what I've read, Jim Gordon was extremely well respected and sought after for studio sessions.
http://www.iem.ac.ru/clapton/article....washpost.html
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 12:32 PM   #5
BJ

interesting and bizzare. I found this link about him with photos. http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Jim_Gordon.html
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 12:32 PM   #6
Javern

interesting and bizzare. I found this link about him with photos. http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Jim_Gordon.html
Javern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:07 AM   #7
delron

Only cought up with this story now, apparently Jim Gordon also helped with the re-recording of the songs for Gord's Gold - which over the years has always been the Gordon Lightfoot album I listened to most. I looked up the booklet of Gord's Gold and he is listed in there and also depicted. I found another page on Jim Gordon at
http://www.united-mutations.com/g/jim_gordon.htm
delron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:07 AM   #8
Gunter

Only cought up with this story now, apparently Jim Gordon also helped with the re-recording of the songs for Gord's Gold - which over the years has always been the Gordon Lightfoot album I listened to most. I looked up the booklet of Gord's Gold and he is listed in there and also depicted. I found another page on Jim Gordon at
http://www.united-mutations.com/g/jim_gordon.htm
Gunter is offline   Reply With Quote