banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-07-2000, 11:01 PM   #1
gathrb

1981 living away @ college dorm I met a friend who always listened to "Gord's Gold" on cassette whenever he did homework. After awhile I asked him about it and he said he always used that album to relax with while he did homework. After the school year ended, I came back home(1982) & bought the same cassette & my girlfriend(wife) liked it too. It always been sort of a romantic thing for us to listen to his music & attend his concerts...something we both shared.

A sad footnote to this story is that my friend(Tim Pope) finished college, married, and started a political career. He was elected as a councilmen in Novi, Mi and served well. He died in a car accident about 8yrs ago.

------------------
"...If YoU fEeL iT yOu BeTtEr BeLiEvE iT, yOu'Re GoNnA sEe It, YoU nEeD tO kNoW/iT iS rIsInG lIkE a FeAtHeR, dIpPiNg & DaNcInG fRoM bElOw/ThErE's A nEw WaVe ThAt Is BrEaKiNg In ThE wAkE oF a PaSsInG sHiP/eVeRy NaTiOn'S gOnNa Be ShAkEn, PuT iT tOgEtHeR, dOn'T lEt It SlIp..."

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited July 10, 2000).]
gathrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2000, 11:01 PM   #2
Tom

1981 living away @ college dorm I met a friend who always listened to "Gord's Gold" on cassette whenever he did homework. After awhile I asked him about it and he said he always used that album to relax with while he did homework. After the school year ended, I came back home(1982) & bought the same cassette & my girlfriend(wife) liked it too. It always been sort of a romantic thing for us to listen to his music & attend his concerts...something we both shared.

A sad footnote to this story is that my friend(Tim Pope) finished college, married, and started a political career. He was elected as a councilmen in Novi, Mi and served well. He died in a car accident about 8yrs ago.

------------------
"...If YoU fEeL iT yOu BeTtEr BeLiEvE iT, yOu'Re GoNnA sEe It, YoU nEeD tO kNoW/iT iS rIsInG lIkE a FeAtHeR, dIpPiNg & DaNcInG fRoM bElOw/ThErE's A nEw WaVe ThAt Is BrEaKiNg In ThE wAkE oF a PaSsInG sHiP/eVeRy NaTiOn'S gOnNa Be ShAkEn, PuT iT tOgEtHeR, dOn'T lEt It SlIp..."

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited July 10, 2000).]
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2000, 09:52 AM   #3
Tom

Oh Tom, I wished you hadn't asked that question. I feel like such a "groupie"!
As I hinted at in another thread, a girlfriend and I used to cruise around town listening to a "Sundown" 8-track. That all came about because at the time we were ushers at the Omni Coliseum in Atlanta, where our new hockey team (now the Calgary Flames) played and often came in contact with those handsome guys from across the border. On the team was a player named Tom Lysiak and as it so happened, my girlfriend had a crush on the guy. And being that his roommate at the time was Dwight Bialowas, naturally I had a crush on him. Anyway, in both of their bios in the media guide, they listed as their favorite artist as being Gordon Lightfoot. So, we went to the music store and checked into this "Lightfoot guy". Turned out to be someone we've heard of before but didn't know it. And as the saying goes . . . the rest is history. And to answer that unasked question- no, nothing ever came out of that infatuation with the hockey players because I was painfully shy back then and I haven't much improved over the years- hard to believe, huh? btw- if anyone cares, Tom Lysiak resides in a nearby neighborhood of mine and is a real estate big wig. Don't know whatever happend to Dwight once he was traded to the Minnesota Northstars (now Texas Star?).
Old 07-14-2000, 09:52 AM   #4
Mary Ann

Oh Tom, I wished you hadn't asked that question. I feel like such a "groupie"!
As I hinted at in another thread, a girlfriend and I used to cruise around town listening to a "Sundown" 8-track. That all came about because at the time we were ushers at the Omni Coliseum in Atlanta, where our new hockey team (now the Calgary Flames) played and often came in contact with those handsome guys from across the border. On the team was a player named Tom Lysiak and as it so happened, my girlfriend had a crush on the guy. And being that his roommate at the time was Dwight Bialowas, naturally I had a crush on him. Anyway, in both of their bios in the media guide, they listed as their favorite artist as being Gordon Lightfoot. So, we went to the music store and checked into this "Lightfoot guy". Turned out to be someone we've heard of before but didn't know it. And as the saying goes . . . the rest is history. And to answer that unasked question- no, nothing ever came out of that infatuation with the hockey players because I was painfully shy back then and I haven't much improved over the years- hard to believe, huh? btw- if anyone cares, Tom Lysiak resides in a nearby neighborhood of mine and is a real estate big wig. Don't know whatever happend to Dwight once he was traded to the Minnesota Northstars (now Texas Star?).
Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2000, 02:03 PM   #5
Bill

About the time I was learning to play the guitar (mid 70s), my brother went off to college, but left some of his LPs...among them -- Don Quixote and Sundown. Stacked them on the record changer (remember?!)and was hooked. Over the next six months I searched record stores in several regional towns (KY/Tenn)and collected everything from Lightfoot forward to Summertime Dream. In those days you could buy the song books too, so I collected all I could find.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2000, 02:25 PM   #6
charlene

I was a young, innocent 15 year old in 1970,with boy troubles and IYCRMM said everything I felt! I bought the 45 and played it a million times. On July 8 Gord signed that same 45! The relationship betwen Me and Gord has remained on solid ground thankfully!
Char
I first saw Gord on stage at Massey Hall in 1973. He got up to sing with Kris Kristofferson. They sang Me & Bobby Magee. I had just run out of film after shooting two rolls of Kris & his wife Rita Coolidge. I am so glad that there is a picture in the Songbook booklet! I know I didn't dream it!
Char

[This message has been edited by charlene (edited July 18, 2000).]
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2000, 02:25 PM   #7
charlene

I was a young, innocent 15 year old in 1970,with boy troubles and IYCRMM said everything I felt! I bought the 45 and played it a million times. On July 8 Gord signed that same 45! The relationship betwen Me and Gord has remained on solid ground thankfully!
Char
I first saw Gord on stage at Massey Hall in 1973. He got up to sing with Kris Kristofferson. They sang Me & Bobby Magee. I had just run out of film after shooting two rolls of Kris & his wife Rita Coolidge. I am so glad that there is a picture in the Songbook booklet! I know I didn't dream it!
Char

[This message has been edited by charlene (edited July 18, 2000).]
Old 07-18-2000, 03:01 PM   #8
fezo

It was summertime, '69, and I was on my first holiday job working in a management office in London. One afternoon I opened the door of my office and there stood this dream in brown suede, fringed jacket, denims and cowboy boots. Gord had been booked to appear on tv and he had come by with some
promo records. Desperately trying to appear grown-up and not at all affected by this stranger who smiled at me so kindly,(he could probably see the rush of love in my eyes) I tripped over the carpet and was
steadied by the Lightfoot hand. Oh be still my heart! The record was 'The Circle is Small' and I sent copies to everybody I knew thus enrolling several new fans for him.
My love and admiration for the man has never wavered throughout the years. He is still
the best - the one and only. Why he chose Liz instead of me I'll never understand (and Wes, dont you dare say a word ...)
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2000, 03:01 PM   #9
Silver Heels

It was summertime, '69, and I was on my first holiday job working in a management office in London. One afternoon I opened the door of my office and there stood this dream in brown suede, fringed jacket, denims and cowboy boots. Gord had been booked to appear on tv and he had come by with some
promo records. Desperately trying to appear grown-up and not at all affected by this stranger who smiled at me so kindly,(he could probably see the rush of love in my eyes) I tripped over the carpet and was
steadied by the Lightfoot hand. Oh be still my heart! The record was 'The Circle is Small' and I sent copies to everybody I knew thus enrolling several new fans for him.
My love and admiration for the man has never wavered throughout the years. He is still
the best - the one and only. Why he chose Liz instead of me I'll never understand (and Wes, dont you dare say a word ...)
Silver Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2000, 01:57 PM   #10
jennybryce

Like Silver Heels, it was '69,I was 14 years old, and babysat for a couple in North Hollywood, Cal., who were agents for quite a few people in the entertainment business. This couple had a lot of promo albums of various singers, and I fell in love with their Gordon Lightfoot albums, (and the man too!). I would always hustle the kids off to bed, and put Gord on the stereo. Feeling very romantic and impressionable at 14, I couldn't believe that this man could write words that expressed the feelings that were inside my head and my heart. Feeling very grown up, I would smoke cigarettes, (gave that habit up years ago!), listen to his words and music, and dream about the places and relationships he sang about. GL has remained as the premier singer/songwriter/entertainer in my life. He is the only one for whom I rush out and buy any and all music I can get my hands on, and really the only performer I prefer to see in concert.

He's the best!

Anne
jennybryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2000, 01:57 PM   #11
Anne

Like Silver Heels, it was '69,I was 14 years old, and babysat for a couple in North Hollywood, Cal., who were agents for quite a few people in the entertainment business. This couple had a lot of promo albums of various singers, and I fell in love with their Gordon Lightfoot albums, (and the man too!). I would always hustle the kids off to bed, and put Gord on the stereo. Feeling very romantic and impressionable at 14, I couldn't believe that this man could write words that expressed the feelings that were inside my head and my heart. Feeling very grown up, I would smoke cigarettes, (gave that habit up years ago!), listen to his words and music, and dream about the places and relationships he sang about. GL has remained as the premier singer/songwriter/entertainer in my life. He is the only one for whom I rush out and buy any and all music I can get my hands on, and really the only performer I prefer to see in concert.

He's the best!

Anne
Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2000, 10:40 PM   #12
gathrb

Silver Heels:
You said the 45rpm was "The Circle is Small" in 1969. How does that version sound different compared to the later version on ENDLESS WIRE? Is it longer or shorter in length? Is it available on any CD? I'd like to hear the original version, its one of my favorites & one of his most personal songs. Do you like the '69 version or '78 version better? (Maybe you can e-mail me a MP3 of song??) Do you know why the song didn't get popular in 1969...& why was it finally released in a different version 9 years later?

"...I can see what you believe in when his name is mentioned & I die..."
gathrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2000, 10:40 PM   #13
Tom

Silver Heels:
You said the 45rpm was "The Circle is Small" in 1969. How does that version sound different compared to the later version on ENDLESS WIRE? Is it longer or shorter in length? Is it available on any CD? I'd like to hear the original version, its one of my favorites & one of his most personal songs. Do you like the '69 version or '78 version better? (Maybe you can e-mail me a MP3 of song??) Do you know why the song didn't get popular in 1969...& why was it finally released in a different version 9 years later?

Old 07-20-2000, 12:33 PM   #14
charlene

I like the later version better. I think in the Songbook notes Gord said he prefers the newer version too. The old one is disjointed for some reason - there isn't a good flow to the song.
just my opinion - I may be wrong (dennis miller)

Char
Old 07-20-2000, 12:33 PM   #15
charlene

I like the later version better. I think in the Songbook notes Gord said he prefers the newer version too. The old one is disjointed for some reason - there isn't a good flow to the song.
just my opinion - I may be wrong (dennis miller)

Char
Old 07-20-2000, 02:34 PM   #16
Dorothea

I agree.
Slight preference to the new one.
The old one was done very much in the folk trad.
Fits in well with the BHOE style.

Frank.
Dorothea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2000, 02:34 PM   #17
Frank v

I agree.
Slight preference to the new one.
The old one was done very much in the folk trad.
Fits in well with the BHOE style.

Frank.
Frank v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2000, 04:49 PM   #18
fezo

quote:Originally posted by Tom:
Silver Heels:

Hi Tom. I still rather like the original
version. Perhaps because for sentimental reasons (it was, after all, the song which intro'd me to
Gord). Technically the later version is superior but then it would have to be, wouldnt it? Nine years makes a big difference in the recording world. But its a great version too. 'The Circle is Small' remains a great song.

fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2000, 04:49 PM   #19
Silver Heels

quote:Originally posted by Tom:
Silver Heels:

Hi Tom. I still rather like the original
version. Perhaps because for sentimental reasons (it was, after all, the song which intro'd me to
Gord). Technically the later version is superior but then it would have to be, wouldnt it? Nine years makes a big difference in the recording world. But its a great version too. 'The Circle is Small' remains a great song.

Silver Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2000, 01:37 PM   #20
timconnelly

It was late 70's when my sister came home with "Did She Mention My Name" album
I've heard a lot of Gordon Lightfoot songs, but being a young kid, just never "really" listened. When I listened to that album, I was hooked!! I was on a mission to get every GL album there was ever made. I think I just about succeeded too.

Does anyone know how many albums GL did actually put out?

Here is a list of what I have.
Did she Mention My Name ;
Gord's Gold;
Sunday Concert;
Cold On the Shoulder;
The Best of Gordon Lightfoot;
Sundown;
Back Here on Earth;
Summer Side of Life;
Don Quixote;
Endless Wire;
Shadows;
Summertime Dream;
Sit Down Young Stranger;
Dream Street Rose;
Salute;
Waiting For You;
Old Dan's Records;
East of Midnight
I have "A Painter Passing Through and Songbook on order.
timconnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2000, 01:37 PM   #21
Kim

Send a message via ICQ to Kim

It was late 70's when my sister came home with "Did She Mention My Name" album
I've heard a lot of Gordon Lightfoot songs, but being a young kid, just never "really" listened. When I listened to that album, I was hooked!! I was on a mission to get every GL album there was ever made. I think I just about succeeded too.

Does anyone know how many albums GL did actually put out?

Here is a list of what I have.
Did she Mention My Name ;
Gord's Gold;
Sunday Concert;
Cold On the Shoulder;
The Best of Gordon Lightfoot;
Sundown;
Back Here on Earth;
Summer Side of Life;
Don Quixote;
Endless Wire;
Shadows;
Summertime Dream;
Sit Down Young Stranger;
Dream Street Rose;
Salute;
Waiting For You;
Old Dan's Records;
East of Midnight
I have "A Painter Passing Through and Songbook on order.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2000, 03:09 PM   #22
Janice

Kim,

From the home page of this site, you can get to an area where Florian (The Webmaster) has listed all of Gordon's albums. There are also lyrics for each of the songs...You should check it out

Janice
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2000, 05:46 PM   #23
Wingdrops

Kim-
Looks like you're missing "Lightfoot!" and "The Way I Feel." They are not on CD as albums, but there is a 2 disk United Artists CD that has them in its compilation of Gord's UA work (all four UA studio albums but not UA's Sunday Concert).

For a complete set, I'm not counting Gord'sGold II and some of the other compilation albums, including GG I and "Best of ..." Although Songbook is a compilation, there is more "new" material on there than on a standard LP.

------------------
"And the laughter came too easy for life to pass me by." - SDYS
Wingdrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2000, 05:46 PM   #24
2Much2Lose

Kim-
Looks like you're missing "Lightfoot!" and "The Way I Feel." They are not on CD as albums, but there is a 2 disk United Artists CD that has them in its compilation of Gord's UA work (all four UA studio albums but not UA's Sunday Concert).

For a complete set, I'm not counting Gord'sGold II and some of the other compilation albums, including GG I and "Best of ..." Although Songbook is a compilation, there is more "new" material on there than on a standard LP.

------------------
"And the laughter came too easy for life to pass me by." - SDYS
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2000, 07:29 PM   #25
timconnelly

Thanks Janice and 2Much2Lose.
Looks like I'm still searching for those 2 albums (Lightfoot) & (The Way I Feel)
If anyone would like to sell theirs, I'm interested, (yes I still have a turntable) or if someone would be willing to tape them for me that would be great too!!
If anyone would like any of the ones I have taped, I'd be more than happy to do that for you.
timconnelly is offline   Reply With Quote