banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 07-26-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
Jenney

Default Binghamton

A few months back, Valerie tried to talk me into joining her and a few other Lightheads at the Binghamton show. I declined, it was too far, I didn’t know vacation plans yet, etc. Well, I ended up changing my mind last week and decided to go. Valerie left Colorado to start driving to the show, but unfortunately had car trouble in Nebraska, so never made it.
So it ended up being a friend of Val’s, myself, Bill and attending her first show in years, Cathy from Maine! None of us have seen Cathy in years, and even though she’s been through the wringer, she looked great!
Binghamton is one of those typical upstate NY towns that has seen better days. Lots of empty store fronts with for rent signs. The theater however was lovingly restored and beautiful. The crowd was very enthusiastic and vocal!
The set list was:
Cotton Jenney
Carefree Highway
Sea of Tranquility
14 Karat Gold
Never Too Close
In My Fashion
A Painter Passing Through
Rainy Day People
Shadows
Beautiful (Char I almost called you, but the phone/camera police were there!)
The Watchman’s Gone
Ribbon of Darkness/Sundown (no one sang Over You, Bill and I chickened out!)
Wreck
Intermission
Triangle
Hang Dog Hotel Room
Ringneck Loon
Restless
Waiting For You
IYCRMM
Don Quixote
Baby Step Back
Fine As Fine Can Be
Blackberry Wine
Canadian Railroad Triology
Song for a Winter’s Night
Encore
Old Dan’s Records
GL made some of his usual comments about Jerry Jeff Walker inspiring Hangdog, but this time added that it was Jerry Jeff’s jacket he wore on the cover of Don Quixote. He might have said that before, but I don’t remember it. Also, he asked if we knew what a Loon sounded like. There were some lame calls, and he invited us to add them in when appropriate. No calls were done, and he said he had a bigger response the night before.
It was a good show, and the people of Binghamton seemed pretty darn happy to see him!
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Binghamton

I was wondering why you didn't call!
lol
sorry to hear Val didn't make it but how great for you and billyboy to see Cathy!!
Gord should get a great 'loony' response back home in November at Massey.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:10 PM   #3
buzzard

Hey Jenney

Glad to hear you had a good time at Binghamton. Also great to hear that Cathy made it. I agree with Char - should be lots of loons at Massey - on several levels!

Brian
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:06 AM   #4
Travis

"No calls were done, and he said he had a bigger response the night before."

Which is funny, because he did not play Ringneck Loon the night before!

I'm slightly jealous at this setlist - this is the list I was hoping he'd play in Chautauqua! Not that I'm in the least disappointed in a GL show, but I was really hoping for "Watchman" and especially "Fine as Fine Can Be," since I've been singing that song to my daughter since she was born.

And ESPECIALLY given the fact that Binghamton is less than 2 hours from me, and I really SHOULD have gone to both shows - Chautauqua and Binghamton.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:50 PM   #5
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Jenney, it was really nice to see you and Bill again. It's been a long time. I think since mid 2001. That's stuck in my brain for some reason. It was great to be able to talk to Gord and compare our experiences. I laughed when he asked me if I had any supernatural experiences while in the coma. I responded... "Does going to lunch with a young Johnny Cash, walking through a field of wildflowers with my dead grandfather and waking up to my dead father sitting at my bedside qualify as supernatural experiences?" I think he got my point!
It sure was great to get back into it again!
Cathy
Old 07-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
charlene

Hey Hey Cathy!
I'm thrilled you got to head out and get to a show!
tell us more...
Old 07-28-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
Cathy

Char, I won't post the setlist, because Jenney was there writing down every song, and I think she already posted it. It was a thrill to see Jenney, Bill and Val again, and also a thrill to see Gord and the guys. It was a good concert. Gord's voice was a bit weak at first, but by the 3rd or 4th song, he had things under control. He was in a very jovial mood, and cracked more than a few corny jokes. I didn't get to jam with Bill and Neil, because after having a few drinks in the bar, we kind of went our separate ways. I did have someone serenade me for a couple of hours, though. I won't name names! And I probably don't have to, with your imagination!.
I'm at Val's for the week. I left Friday and drove in heavy rain all the way, and then missed I87, ended up on I88 and had to call Doug for directions back to Saratoga Lake. I was on the road for 12 hours before I finally got here. Needless to say, I slept very well after the long trip.
Boy, it was so nice to see Gord and compare our medical nightmares!
Old 07-28-2009, 09:25 PM   #8
charlene

sweet serenade!
oh yeah...
e-mail me with more...
hi to val!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy View Post
Char, I won't post the setlist, because Jenney was there writing down every song, and I think she already posted it. It was a thrill to see Jenney, Bill and Val again, and also a thrill to see Gord and the guys. It was a good concert. Gord's voice was a bit weak at first, but by the 3rd or 4th song, he had things under control. He was in a very jovial mood, and cracked more than a few corny jokes. I didn't get to jam with Bill and Neil, because after having a few drinks in the bar, we kind of went our separate ways. I did have someone serenade me for a couple of hours, though. I won't name names! And I probably don't have to, with your imagination!.
I'm at Val's for the week. I left Friday and drove in heavy rain all the way, and then missed I87, ended up on I88 and had to call Doug for directions back to Saratoga Lake. I was on the road for 12 hours before I finally got here. Needless to say, I slept very well after the long trip.
Boy, it was so nice to see Gord and compare our medical nightmares!
Old 07-28-2009, 09:46 PM   #9
Cathy

Char, send me your e-mail address. I have my laptop, and don't have your e-mail address in my address book.

Cathy
Old 07-29-2009, 11:00 AM   #10
podunklander

Quote:
Jenney, it was really nice to see you and Bill again. It's been a long time. I think since mid 2001. That's stuck in my brain for some reason. It was great to be able to talk to Gord and compare our experiences. I laughed when he asked me if I had any supernatural experiences while in the coma. I responded... "Does going to lunch with a young Johnny Cash, walking through a field of wildflowers with my dead grandfather and waking up to my dead father sitting at my bedside qualify as supernatural experiences?" I think he got my point!
It sure was great to get back into it again!
Cathy
Sorry to know you were in a coma OMG!!! Glad you've recovered and had the chance to get to a concert. Having Gordon ask that and comparing experiences like that must have seemed almost supernatural (surreal, at least)!
Old 07-29-2009, 08:52 PM   #11
Cathy

I had an aneurysm rupture between my left temple and eyebrow and was totally out of it for a month... In a coma. They didn't expect me to return to normal, and made plans with Mom to put me into a nursing home near Rockland, ME, where she lives. After a month, they moved me by ambulance to Bangor, to get me closer to Mom, and on the 4th day, I woke up, sat up in bed, and said to Abasbu, my Somalian nurse, "Where to hell am I and why am I here?" Startled her quite a lot! From that point on, it was intensive therapy and doctor visits for over two years. I'm finally back to normal, am working and driving again. It was a long two years.

Cathy
Old 07-29-2009, 09:48 PM   #12
podunklander

Quote:
I had an aneurysm rupture between my left temple and eyebrow and was totally out of it for a month... In a coma. They didn't expect me to return to normal, and made plans with Mom to put me into a nursing home near Rockland, ME, where she lives. After a month, they moved me by ambulance to Bangor, to get me closer to Mom, and on the 4th day, I woke up, sat up in bed, and said to Abasbu, my Somalian nurse, "Where to hell am I and why am I here?" Startled her quite a lot! From that point on, it was intensive therapy and doctor visits for over two years. I'm finally back to normal, am working and driving again. It was a long two years.

Cathy
WOW, I am so sorry to know that happened to you and the struggle to get better, so traumatic and of course, pleased that you have recovered so well now! Working too! I wondered what happened to you -awhile back with the great advice you offered me on the issues I was having with my guitar and then never saw you on here again. Have you been able to play? Doing any performances yet?

So how did Abasbu explain all that to you??!!!
Old 07-30-2009, 05:53 PM   #13
Cathy

I've been playing a lot lately. It seems I lost interest, or was just too busy with therapy and everything else life had to offer for awhile, but everyone I've seen in the last couple of months sasses me for not playing enough, so I've taken it up again. I played for about three hours today, and the chord progressions and picking speed are finally starting to come back.

I think I probably scared the wits out of Abaebu. I just remember her throwing down her book and taking off at a dead run down to the nurses station.

About six months after I left the hospital, I was in Bangor at a doctor's appointment, so I stopped in and saw everyone in the brain injurydepartment and gave them all CDs. Abaebu said, "Wow! You have hair again!"
Old 07-30-2009, 07:17 PM   #14
jj

Quote:
...everyone I've seen in the last couple of months sasses me for not playing enough...
good for them...and good for you, Cathy (on all fronts)

glad a fine time was had by all...thanks for the reviews from ALL on this leg
jj is offline   Reply With Quote