banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-07-2001, 10:54 PM   #376
poverly

So hard to name one favorite GL song. Many have spoken to me over the past 35 years that I have listened to GL. While I think he is a legendary lyricist, my first exposure was of an Ewan McColl song "Changes". I fell in love with his voice and the imagery, thinking he had written the song. I began buying his albums and learned he truly was a gifted songwriter. I have enjoyed performing his songs more than any other artist I cover. Early Mornin' Rain, On Susan's Floor, Second Cup of Coffee, Walls, I'll be alright.....many obscure, but Gordon you have scripted or reflected a great deal of what I have experienced in life and relationships... I'll just keep listening and sharing Lightfoot's music.....
poverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 10:54 PM   #377
gibmartin

So hard to name one favorite GL song. Many have spoken to me over the past 35 years that I have listened to GL. While I think he is a legendary lyricist, my first exposure was of an Ewan McColl song "Changes". I fell in love with his voice and the imagery, thinking he had written the song. I began buying his albums and learned he truly was a gifted songwriter. I have enjoyed performing his songs more than any other artist I cover. Early Mornin' Rain, On Susan's Floor, Second Cup of Coffee, Walls, I'll be alright.....many obscure, but Gordon you have scripted or reflected a great deal of what I have experienced in life and relationships... I'll just keep listening and sharing Lightfoot's music.....
gibmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 05:51 PM   #378
Dave Horwell

Sorry guys, us brits don't get to hear much of GL. The only song for me is "Sundown". I heard it only once and have never forgotten it. Hard to believe once only, but true.
Old 06-14-2001, 05:51 PM   #379
Dave Horwell

Sorry guys, us brits don't get to hear much of GL. The only song for me is "Sundown". I heard it only once and have never forgotten it. Hard to believe once only, but true.
Old 06-14-2001, 06:39 PM   #380
JayK

quote:Originally posted by gibmartin:

Hi GIBMARTIN,I like the song "Changes" also;I know other artists have recorded it,but I thought it was written by Phil Ochs.
Old 06-14-2001, 06:39 PM   #381
JayK

quote:Originally posted by gibmartin:

Hi GIBMARTIN,I like the song "Changes" also;I know other artists have recorded it,but I thought it was written by Phil Ochs.
Old 06-15-2001, 07:51 PM   #382
Bobkatfore

The first time I heard Lightfoot was "Sundown". I grew to hate that song because my brother bought the album and played the hell out of it; not to mention the radio. Then I sat down alone and listened to the album. I loved it. As hard as it is to pick a favorite, and it is hard. I would have to say that "The Watchman" is it; I guess because it was where I was at at the time. Restless, wanting to run. The Edmund Fitzgerald is probably the best he has written. The lyrics and the production, along with that voice, put you there. It was also the first song I learned on the guitar. Also the mosty requested.
Old 06-15-2001, 07:51 PM   #383
Bobkatfore

The first time I heard Lightfoot was "Sundown". I grew to hate that song because my brother bought the album and played the hell out of it; not to mention the radio. Then I sat down alone and listened to the album. I loved it. As hard as it is to pick a favorite, and it is hard. I would have to say that "The Watchman" is it; I guess because it was where I was at at the time. Restless, wanting to run. The Edmund Fitzgerald is probably the best he has written. The lyrics and the production, along with that voice, put you there. It was also the first song I learned on the guitar. Also the mosty requested.
Old 06-16-2001, 09:09 PM   #384
ordinaryman

"On Susan's Floor." I used to work in Nashville where Sue Brewer worked (Music City News), and I actually lived in the same apt. building. By then (1977) Sue had inoperable breast cancer and died in '78. but she had stories to tell!!!!!! And a sense of humor to the end! Of course, Krostofferson wrote the song, and I don't think she actually ever put GL up for the night. But I can see Sue's eyes sparkle every time I hear GL sing the song (and he does it much better than Kris!) I am proud to say I spent quite a few hours on Susan's floor myself, listening to her reminiscences of the "good old days" in Nashville!
ordinaryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2001, 09:09 PM   #385
gsmdmom

"On Susan's Floor." I used to work in Nashville where Sue Brewer worked (Music City News), and I actually lived in the same apt. building. By then (1977) Sue had inoperable breast cancer and died in '78. but she had stories to tell!!!!!! And a sense of humor to the end! Of course, Krostofferson wrote the song, and I don't think she actually ever put GL up for the night. But I can see Sue's eyes sparkle every time I hear GL sing the song (and he does it much better than Kris!) I am proud to say I spent quite a few hours on Susan's floor myself, listening to her reminiscences of the "good old days" in Nashville!
gsmdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2001, 06:33 AM   #386
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

gsmdmom,

Enjoyed your story and I also love Gord's version of "On Susan's Floor". But fyi the song was written by Shel Silverstein and Vince Matthews. Shel was also known for his children's books, among many talents.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 11:30 PM   #387
Glyn Luke

Someone up above mentioned "The Ballad of the Yarmouth Castle". That's our favorite, too. What a piece of work. Sorry to confess that we're unable to pinpoint just what it is that we find so mesmerizing about that song. It just leaves you in awe, even after 25 years and thousands of listens.

------------------
Sammy and Rebecky
Glyn Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 11:30 PM   #388
featherov

Someone up above mentioned "The Ballad of the Yarmouth Castle". That's our favorite, too. What a piece of work. Sorry to confess that we're unable to pinpoint just what it is that we find so mesmerizing about that song. It just leaves you in awe, even after 25 years and thousands of listens.

------------------
Sammy and Rebecky
featherov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2001, 10:02 PM   #389
RichinVan

Just found this website and as a longtime Lightfoot fan don't know why I didn't look for it before! Anyway been reading through a lot of replies. All very interesting. My favorite Gord song would have to be 'Canadian Railroad Trilogy'. The vivid imagery he creates gives me chills every time I hear it. This song defines Canada!

Alot of runners up: Sit Down Young Stranger,Bitter Green,Don Quixote,Song For A Winter's Night,Ode To Big Blue and my vote for his most underrated song Approaching Lavender. And that only scratches the surface. Lightfoot is truly a great and original talent.

Old 07-07-2001, 10:02 PM   #390
RichinVan

Just found this website and as a longtime Lightfoot fan don't know why I didn't look for it before! Anyway been reading through a lot of replies. All very interesting. My favorite Gord song would have to be 'Canadian Railroad Trilogy'. The vivid imagery he creates gives me chills every time I hear it. This song defines Canada!

Alot of runners up: Sit Down Young Stranger,Bitter Green,Don Quixote,Song For A Winter's Night,Ode To Big Blue and my vote for his most underrated song Approaching Lavender. And that only scratches the surface. Lightfoot is truly a great and original talent.

Old 07-10-2001, 10:30 AM   #391
leslie Richards

quote:Originally posted by Florian:
What is your favorite Lightfoot Song & Why?

(topic originated by Wes Steele)

[This message has been edited by Florian (edited February 26, 2000).]

i have so many favourite gl songs. right now, i'd have to say 'looking at the rain'. evocative, and i love the string section!
leslie Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 10:30 AM   #392
ordinaryman

i have so many favourite gl songs. right now, i'd have to say 'looking at the rain'. evocative, and i love the string section!
Old 07-10-2001, 10:51 AM   #393
leslie Richards

leslie Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 10:51 AM   #394
ordinaryman

Old 07-17-2001, 09:09 PM   #395
ken laurion

favorite song? again impossible
My children love "Canary Yellow Canoe", I guess cause it is something they can identify with and it's energetic.
"Minstrel of the Dawn", is profoundly simple and melodic, and of course poetic. "Summer Side of Life", is very powerful. In any case I like Gordon's pre 1976 music better because it seems more emotionally powerful...It seems to me that there's more of an honesty and edge to it; which is to say that he's probably mellowed some through the years. In any case...when one chooses...one never loses...all is Gord's good.
ken laurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 09:09 PM   #396
DJ

Send a message via ICQ to DJ

favorite song? again impossible
My children love "Canary Yellow Canoe", I guess cause it is something they can identify with and it's energetic.
"Minstrel of the Dawn", is profoundly simple and melodic, and of course poetic. "Summer Side of Life", is very powerful. In any case I like Gordon's pre 1976 music better because it seems more emotionally powerful...It seems to me that there's more of an honesty and edge to it; which is to say that he's probably mellowed some through the years. In any case...when one chooses...one never loses...all is Gord's good.
DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 09:15 PM   #397
ken laurion

The posting by Lindsayanne is a tough one to read. I would only suggest that you not listen to, "If You Could Read My Mind" so that you could preserve the memory of your father singing to you...then again maybe you should listen to it. I started listening to Gordon at age 17, and he helped me through many depressing years. I hope you'll find what you're looking for, or are able to express what you feel.
ken laurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 09:15 PM   #398
DJ

Send a message via ICQ to DJ

The posting by Lindsayanne is a tough one to read. I would only suggest that you not listen to, "If You Could Read My Mind" so that you could preserve the memory of your father singing to you...then again maybe you should listen to it. I started listening to Gordon at age 17, and he helped me through many depressing years. I hope you'll find what you're looking for, or are able to express what you feel.
DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 01:47 AM   #399
Peter Bellairs

As everyone else seems to suggest - picking the best is a nightmare. Tattoo is wonderful as is The Last Time I Saw Her and You're Not Supposed To Care. For me though, It's Worth Believin' has been my favourite since it first came out (in '75?) and despite the appearance of a swag of great songs since, nothing has managed to surpass it. From APPT, Much To My Surprise is my favourite.
Old 07-24-2001, 01:47 AM   #400
Peter Bellairs

As everyone else seems to suggest - picking the best is a nightmare. Tattoo is wonderful as is The Last Time I Saw Her and You're Not Supposed To Care. For me though, It's Worth Believin' has been my favourite since it first came out (in '75?) and despite the appearance of a swag of great songs since, nothing has managed to surpass it. From APPT, Much To My Surprise is my favourite.