banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2001, 11:54 AM   #326
Pete W

One of my very favorites is Old Dan's Records. I have a good friend named Dan and he is a collector of Lp's and Its also very uplifting and joyful. A wonderful way for your friends and family to remember you by.

I really like it.
Pete W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 11:54 AM   #327
Amy

One of my very favorites is Old Dan's Records. I have a good friend named Dan and he is a collector of Lp's and Its also very uplifting and joyful. A wonderful way for your friends and family to remember you by.

I really like it.
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 10:25 PM   #328
Danny

My favourite Gl song is the Circle is Small.May be an odd choice but there's just something about that song. A close second would be Circle of Steel from the Sundown LP.
Old 03-17-2001, 10:25 PM   #329
Danny

My favourite Gl song is the Circle is Small.May be an odd choice but there's just something about that song. A close second would be Circle of Steel from the Sundown LP.
Old 03-17-2001, 11:51 PM   #330
Eddiefitz

It's a toss up between Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald and Dream Street Rose. My father's favorite song is Wreck of E.F. I have listend to GL since I was born and my fondest memories are fishing with dad and listening to Gord. Dad has most of his albums on vinyl and as a kid I remember listening to Dream Street Rose and it has stuck as one of my alltime favorite songs.
Eddiefitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 11:51 PM   #331
Clay

It's a toss up between Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald and Dream Street Rose. My father's favorite song is Wreck of E.F. I have listend to GL since I was born and my fondest memories are fishing with dad and listening to Gord. Dad has most of his albums on vinyl and as a kid I remember listening to Dream Street Rose and it has stuck as one of my alltime favorite songs.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 03:38 AM   #332
Maria

The song "If You Could Read my Mind" stole my heart. I consider Gorden Lightfoot my favorite singer songwriter. I am used to getting every album, sheet music book, picture, literally anything related to him.

I had a songbook he had autographed in Eugene, Oregon which was stolen and that bummed me out. But the important thing I have from GL is the inspiration and heart warmth he give me. I also look forward to anytime he is within a thousand miles and I can get away to see him.

Songs I like? I have trouble narrowing it down. What I don't like is a more managable data base in my brain housing group to narrow down to paper. Some of his stuff from "Endless Wire" and a couple of albums of that era had seemed too lounge oriented and had a too heavy drumbeat. "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down," and "The Auctioneer" are not good versions of other people's material and I would have prefered him to publish his songs which we have not heard enough of. I question the premise of the line in "The Canadian Railroad Trilogy" which says "They built the mines, the mills, and the factories for the good of us all." More like they built them to exploit resources and people to make capital and build political punch, so I winch when I hear that.

His stuff he has written in his later years shows he has gotten better at his craft, and I look forward to many more years of him working at it. I salute him for capturing my heart and imagination and holding them so long. I wish I could give him half of what he has given me. "I may not be alone each time I see you, along a street or in a small cafe. But still I won't deny you or mistreat you, baby if you'll let me have my way..."
Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 03:38 AM   #333
FerretMike

The song "If You Could Read my Mind" stole my heart. I consider Gorden Lightfoot my favorite singer songwriter. I am used to getting every album, sheet music book, picture, literally anything related to him.

I had a songbook he had autographed in Eugene, Oregon which was stolen and that bummed me out. But the important thing I have from GL is the inspiration and heart warmth he give me. I also look forward to anytime he is within a thousand miles and I can get away to see him.

Songs I like? I have trouble narrowing it down. What I don't like is a more managable data base in my brain housing group to narrow down to paper. Some of his stuff from "Endless Wire" and a couple of albums of that era had seemed too lounge oriented and had a too heavy drumbeat. "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down," and "The Auctioneer" are not good versions of other people's material and I would have prefered him to publish his songs which we have not heard enough of. I question the premise of the line in "The Canadian Railroad Trilogy" which says "They built the mines, the mills, and the factories for the good of us all." More like they built them to exploit resources and people to make capital and build political punch, so I winch when I hear that.

His stuff he has written in his later years shows he has gotten better at his craft, and I look forward to many more years of him working at it. I salute him for capturing my heart and imagination and holding them so long. I wish I could give him half of what he has given me. "I may not be alone each time I see you, along a street or in a small cafe. But still I won't deny you or mistreat you, baby if you'll let me have my way..."
FerretMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 11:22 AM   #334
Ted

It's hard to single out an all time favourite but I have a couple. Steel Rail Blues is still one of my favourites. As a finger-style guitar player, I spent years learning by playing along with the records. This tune remains a favourite even though, as GL has "matured" it seems to have been dropped from his live shows. Perhaps his voice doesn't get to where it could reach 30 years ago. Another all time favourite for me is Carefree Highway. A catchy tune and descriptive lyric and I enjoy Terry Clements' licks in the breaks.
Old 03-19-2001, 11:22 AM   #335
Ted

It's hard to single out an all time favourite but I have a couple. Steel Rail Blues is still one of my favourites. As a finger-style guitar player, I spent years learning by playing along with the records. This tune remains a favourite even though, as GL has "matured" it seems to have been dropped from his live shows. Perhaps his voice doesn't get to where it could reach 30 years ago. Another all time favourite for me is Carefree Highway. A catchy tune and descriptive lyric and I enjoy Terry Clements' licks in the breaks.
Old 03-25-2001, 03:36 PM   #336
MSR0205@aol.com

My favorite Gordon Lightfoot song right now is "Song For A Winter's Night." It reminds me of a perfect Valentine's Day I had, and how I wish every day could be like that!
"If You Could Read My Mind" is another favorite of mine. This song actually led me to have that perfect Valentine's Day in the first place! Both songs will always hold a special place in my heart. I look forward to hearing them sung live in concert at The Keswick on May 13th.
Old 03-25-2001, 03:36 PM   #337
MSR0205@aol.com

My favorite Gordon Lightfoot song right now is "Song For A Winter's Night." It reminds me of a perfect Valentine's Day I had, and how I wish every day could be like that!
"If You Could Read My Mind" is another favorite of mine. This song actually led me to have that perfect Valentine's Day in the first place! Both songs will always hold a special place in my heart. I look forward to hearing them sung live in concert at The Keswick on May 13th.
Old 03-29-2001, 02:21 PM   #338
lynn

Touch choice but I would have to go with Beautiful. My wife and I had it sung by a friend of ours at our wedding (we each chose a song and I chose Beautiful). Love the lyrics and the melody.

Close second is If You Could Read My Mind. Don't like its lyrics as much as Beautiful though.
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 02:21 PM   #339
rmrlaw

Touch choice but I would have to go with Beautiful. My wife and I had it sung by a friend of ours at our wedding (we each chose a song and I chose Beautiful). Love the lyrics and the melody.

Close second is If You Could Read My Mind. Don't like its lyrics as much as Beautiful though.
rmrlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 12:04 AM   #340
Lindsayanne

my favorite dong would be a song I THINK is called " if i could read your mind love". this song means the world to me because it was my father's favorite song. i'm sixteen years old and my father died when i was a small child. the only memory i have of him is hearing his voice sing this song to me when i was sick...
Old 04-10-2001, 12:04 AM   #341
Lindsayanne

my favorite dong would be a song I THINK is called " if i could read your mind love". this song means the world to me because it was my father's favorite song. i'm sixteen years old and my father died when i was a small child. the only memory i have of him is hearing his voice sing this song to me when i was sick...
Old 04-10-2001, 02:07 AM   #342
J. M. Miller

My heart does not break easily, but the posting from Lindsayanne has left it shattered. How sweet and sad. Her remarks remind me to be grateful to my Heavenly Father that I still have an earthly one, though he is two thousand miles away. (In reply to this topic, I'll select a more obscure song as my favorite: ALL I'M AFTER, from Shadows. Gorgeous melody.)
Old 04-10-2001, 02:07 AM   #343
J. M. Miller

My heart does not break easily, but the posting from Lindsayanne has left it shattered. How sweet and sad. Her remarks remind me to be grateful to my Heavenly Father that I still have an earthly one, though he is two thousand miles away. (In reply to this topic, I'll select a more obscure song as my favorite: ALL I'M AFTER, from Shadows. Gorgeous melody.)
Old 04-10-2001, 03:56 PM   #344
Daylight Katie

My favorite Gordon song? How to choose from so many wonderful songs? I'd have to say though the choice is tough the song we are using in our wedding, Beautiful. That kinda says it all. Just plain beautiful!!
Daylight Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 03:56 PM   #345
pleyore

My favorite Gordon song? How to choose from so many wonderful songs? I'd have to say though the choice is tough the song we are using in our wedding, Beautiful. That kinda says it all. Just plain beautiful!!
pleyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2001, 07:08 PM   #346
ken laurion

Favorite Lightfoot song? Impossible!
However it would be from 1980 or before.
I noticed no one mentioned, "Circle of Steel", which is an awesome song. "Affair on 8th Avenue" is a great love ballad. I'm trying to pick ones that haven't been mentioned. I've seen Gordon twice, in Minneapolis, and also in San Diego. I'd see him again if I get the chance. I'm 41 now and have been listening to him since I was seventeen. Oh..."The Patriots Dream" is an awesome song as well. "The Pony Man" is so vivid and attracts the child in me. One of the earliest songs that hooked me, was when I was asking about questions concerning life (and still am),is, "Wherefore and Why", which was written for an old movie that "starred" Michael Douglas called, "Hail Hero". The best that I can say, is that if Gordon had never written a note, and had written poetry only; he would be one of the greatest poets ever. What a way with words and images!!!
ken laurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2001, 07:08 PM   #347
DJ

Send a message via ICQ to DJ

Favorite Lightfoot song? Impossible!
However it would be from 1980 or before.
I noticed no one mentioned, "Circle of Steel", which is an awesome song. "Affair on 8th Avenue" is a great love ballad. I'm trying to pick ones that haven't been mentioned. I've seen Gordon twice, in Minneapolis, and also in San Diego. I'd see him again if I get the chance. I'm 41 now and have been listening to him since I was seventeen. Oh..."The Patriots Dream" is an awesome song as well. "The Pony Man" is so vivid and attracts the child in me. One of the earliest songs that hooked me, was when I was asking about questions concerning life (and still am),is, "Wherefore and Why", which was written for an old movie that "starred" Michael Douglas called, "Hail Hero". The best that I can say, is that if Gordon had never written a note, and had written poetry only; he would be one of the greatest poets ever. What a way with words and images!!!
DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 03:04 AM   #348
Ron

Is there such a thing as a favorite GL song? I swear that Gord has a song for our every mood and for different phases of our lives. We all love him so much because he has a song for everybody. It seems like he has always been there. I grew up listening to him and now that I'm older, I love him even more because now I can relate with what he is saying.(lost loves, new loves, the morning after blues, etc.)Currently, I'm in a groove where I can't stop listening to Gord! That's how I discovered this site. Like I said, he's always been there, but at this particular point, he is just triggering a pleasure point in my head and I can't stop listening to him. I'm like a Gordan Lightfoot junkie! I can't get over the size of this site. I now know I am not alone. Thanks.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 03:04 AM   #349
Daylight Katie

Is there such a thing as a favorite GL song? I swear that Gord has a song for our every mood and for different phases of our lives. We all love him so much because he has a song for everybody. It seems like he has always been there. I grew up listening to him and now that I'm older, I love him even more because now I can relate with what he is saying.(lost loves, new loves, the morning after blues, etc.)Currently, I'm in a groove where I can't stop listening to Gord! That's how I discovered this site. Like I said, he's always been there, but at this particular point, he is just triggering a pleasure point in my head and I can't stop listening to him. I'm like a Gordan Lightfoot junkie! I can't get over the size of this site. I now know I am not alone. Thanks.
Daylight Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2001, 01:14 AM   #350
ken laurion

I love IF YOU NEED ME from Dream Street Rose.
That album ranks right up there with Sundown.
Seven Island Suite, The Watchman's Gone, and Is There Anyone Home
are an amazing trio of tracks to be laid down on one album.
Nothing has compared.
ken laurion is offline   Reply With Quote