banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 08-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #51
jj

Default Re: The Blue Jays

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
I was stunned that the Blue Jays let him go for absolutely nothing, not even a single A prospect. Why in the world did they ever sign him to that contract in the first place?

you know how it is when a guy has a big year when his contract is coming up (i think he rose to some degree of fame in that 2007 homer derby and that was the time to cash in on him!) and then coasted...imagine if doctors performed that way? i'd be asking just before life threatening surgery "you didnt just sign a long term contract by chance, did you?" lol

here's a bit of an fresh article that speaks to your comment, rm:

"It's still tough to wrap your head around the Blue Jays' logic with regard to their former outfielder Alex Rios. In December of 2007, they believed he was an asset that was worth in trade Giants' future Cy Young winner, Tim Lincecum. In March of 2008 the Jays believed Rios was worth $69 million (all figures U.S.) on a well-thought-out contract extension. In August of 2009, they believe he is worth nothing.

Go figure.

White Sox GM Kenny Williams put in a waiver claim on Rios last Friday then prepared to negotiate a trade with Jays GM J.P. Ricciardi inside the 48-hour business-day window as outlined by MLB. But in return for sending back a player for Rios, he expected the Jays to kick in some cash for contract relief. Instead the Jays said they didn't want a player. Take him, but we're not throwing in any money.

Without the late Ted Rogers in the picture, it seems ownership has become all business, all bottom line. In that light, what experienced GM would want to take over a major-league team given the obvious shackles on spending his shekels. They clearly don't want to win as much as they want to break even. It's depressing for Jays fans.

Earlier in the season, manager Cito Gaston suggested that Rios had what it takes to be a future hall of famer. Now the Jays consider it a victory to be off the hook for the next five years and to be able to spend the savings on finding a catcher and a shortstop. There has been no mention from the Jays about using the saved monies to keep Roy Halladay. They know that's a pipe dream. That inevitable parting of ways this coming off-season will save them another $15.75 million and that's the bottom line."

it goes on to comment that Cito assessed Rios as a future hall of famer as recently as the start of this year...maybe down the road he'll go into announcing or ownership and make it in that category

char, i only saw glimpses of the weekend but glad there was such a good alumni turnout....Alomar seemed to be iconic once again...i imagine Stieb would be a hall of famer if he had played for a solid team all those years

JP is a creep...i hope Beeston knows what he's doing and hope the rumour that Pat Gillick may come back to at least steady the ship (in Cliff Fletcher like fashion) is true

rm, you'll dig this...this is what youtube is all about, lol (warning: mature, make that immature language)..this was following a charity event after Alex had gone 0-for with 5 Ks...i dont see him on any Wheaties box anytime soon

Last edited by jj; 08-12-2009 at 12:22 PM.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:17 PM   #52
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
rm, you'll dig this...
Indeed I did.

Thanks for the background info. They gave up Lincecum for him ?! It keeps getting worse.

Any idea what charity the event was for ?
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:46 PM   #53
jj

oh, no...it's not that bad...Rios was developed in the Jays system (those are the type I love to root for, and I tried and tried again to pull for him but he didn't seem intense and often tossed the ball to the crowd or ump when there were only two outs)

before signing him to the long term deal, the Giants showed interest but we asked for Lincecum in return and that was the end of that

it was just some gala Blue Jay dinner...i think they dish out the proceeds to a variety of charities

you can see the young black kid in the light shirt asking for the autograph as Alex ignores him...that's what the man means by "you forget where you come from"

on the bright side, Rios had just tied a franchise record earlier that eve ...his 5K performance gave him a streak of 7 in a row...if he were a pitcher his strikeout to walk ratio would be impressive

i hope the Chisox aint looking for him to take a walk in the clutch cos he won't...his bat seems to long for him...and Wells seems too short, they should have traded perhaps

anyhow, if Rios ends up in centre look for him to gun down a few runners...when he does unleash a throw or actually launch a long ball, it's actually quite an artistic motion

ok, enough...let's get on with the Travis Snyder era
Old 08-12-2009, 01:46 PM   #54
charlene

charity raising money for the Jays Foundation that distributes funds to many local associations.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/647488
and
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../03/c2505.html

As the charitable arm of the Toronto Blue Jays Baseball Club, the Jays
Care Foundation is governed by an independent, volunteer Board of Directors
with a vision to use the sport of baseball, the reach of the Toronto Blue Jays
Baseball Club, and the resources committed to the Foundation to serve children
in need in the Greater Toronto Area and beyond. Money raised through this
event directly supports charitable organizations, community programs and
initiatives focused on improving opportunities for kids in the areas of
physical activity, education and life-skill development.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:07 PM   #55
RM

Quote:
oh, no...it's not that bad...Rios was developed in the Jays system
Oh...ok. I misread/misinterpreted the part about Lincecum. whew.....

Madam Moderator, thanks for the info about the charity. I've always wondered if mandatory participation in those team charities are included in a player's contract.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:16 PM   #56
charlene

Doc has a private box:
http://mlb.mlb.com/tor/community/docs_box.jsp

most players of all Toronto sports teams are involved in many different foundations/charities of all types but for the most part th involve children who are disadvantaged in some way. It's a wonderful way to make the athlete's more approachable to the community. Much of it never makes it to the media and a lot of players do things on their own volition as well.
I'm sure the same is true of most teams in other cities.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #57
jj

Quote:
Oh...ok. I misread/misinterpreted the part about Lincecum. whew.....

ok, but if you want one of many other real sob stories, Chris Carpenter is a prime example...he and Halliday were to be our starting pitcher duo of the future back in late 90's...after Chris had some corrective surgery, during the downtime we would only offer him a minor league deal...he shunned it and soon after the Cards picked him up, 2002

let's see, since then he has earned an NL Cy Young and has something like a 60-20 WL record for them albeit with some ongoing downtime issues but still

the Leafs could have had Vincent Lacavallier (a top 3 forward in the NHL) years ago but let that draft swap deal get away...this city's sports fans are in constant mourning...then again, we do have a pretty decent lacrosse squad
Old 08-12-2009, 03:42 PM   #58
jj

ps) char, I'm predicting Justin Pogge will one day win a Vezina with Anaheim

edit: oh, that prediction isn't likely to materialize, lol

Last edited by jj; 05-22-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:56 PM   #59
jj

rm, the boys are in your neck of the woods this weekend so you can simply cast this year's hex on them directly...i'll be looking on tv for the fan with a wand in one hand (and beer in the other)
Old 05-22-2010, 02:15 PM   #60
charlene

things are all discombobulated today! baseball at night and hockey in the aftrnoon...it's just not right...
GO HABS GO!
GO JAYS GO!
Old 05-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #61
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
hockey in the afternoon

what? i thought that Betman fruitless strategy only happened up until the semis started...ugh, thanks for the headsup...i was all geared up for HNIC not HDIA (hockey day in America...with all 1,000 fans watching unless something more enticing on, such as high school football)

it would be nice to see the old Hawks and Habs jerseys out there in the final

i don't mind the night ball...any sort of ball seems slow after watching hockey

ps) why do they have world hockey championships (which i totally missed, lol) during a winter olympic year? it was only 3 months ago where it was decided who was atop the hockey world...i suppose Canada is back to #7 in world hockey rankings right ahead of Denmark, lol
Old 05-22-2010, 03:15 PM   #62
charlene

15 minutes of pre-game. start the freakin game already!!!!
Old 05-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #63
RM

Quote:
i'll be looking on tv for the fan with a wand in one hand (and beer in the other
For future reference......look for a fan with a cigarette in one hand and 2 beers in the other.

The Jays seem to be staying afloat in the AL east. The game tonight will not be televised here in Tucson (very unusual). And I have also found baseball is more enjoyable on TV than at the ball park......too many distractions at the park. Plus, beer is much closer in my abode than the concession stands are at a game.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:29 PM   #64
timetraveler

What I like is when the Blue Jays play the Texas Rangers. My mum & I are accidental Rangers fans.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:19 PM   #65
jj

Quote:
beer is much closer in my abode than the concession stands are at a game.
yeah, and shorter washroom lineups

Jays may have sunk into 2011 planning in the standings but it's always fun to take a few from the Yanks, pitch well and continue to club those homers

yeah, team batting avg=low...i guess we are a Dave Kingman type of ensemble

judging by the glorious ARod slump, he may have finally eased off the 'roids

having said that, he and the boys will probably come around this aft...go TB
Old 08-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #66
jj

Quote:
having said that, he and the boys will probably come around this aft...
lol, there ya go (i called that shot)...i guess i should stop by the track tonight
Old 08-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #67
jj

Quote:
... pitch well and continue to club those homers
lol, and that's 8 more today against TB

not a bad debut for this Arencibia prospect (4 for 5 including a double and two homers, the first off the first pitch he faced in the majors, holy)
Old 08-07-2010, 05:32 PM   #68
charlene

omigawd i love that kid...so awesome - first pitch in the big leagues and he homers..and then doubles and singles and homers again!
oh yeah - he's a cutie too!!
http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=450317
might head to the game tomorrow...
Old 08-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #69
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
might head to the game tomorrow...
cool, enjoy...don't think it hinders your trip, but Gardiner closed all weekend...GO doesnt' run from here on weekends...but maybe I'll get the tyke down there one Junior Jay saturday...will let ya know if going down during CNE

yeah, good looking and humble kid ...I can see female (ok, and male too...this is Toronto, lol) attendance going up