banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-01-2005, 06:49 PM   #1
no ordinary man

As I've just seen, I'm not the only one who listens to some songs only when I'm in the right mood.

I'll have to agree with Harmny. Someone To Believe In is a good song but only when one is in the right mood (in love). Tattoo is another one for those deep in the romance department.

May I- I like to play this one when I am nervous, particularly when I'm about to meet family and good friends I have not met for a very long time.

Lazy Mornin'- Almost always gets the skip button unless I am bored or traveling, then I love it.

Protocol- Don't usually like to listen to it, but when I get all choked up about the war in Iraq, this song really hits the spot.

There are more, but these 3 are the first to jump to mind. I'll post any others later.
no ordinary man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 06:49 PM   #2
Chris Castleberry

As I've just seen, I'm not the only one who listens to some songs only when I'm in the right mood.

I'll have to agree with Harmny. Someone To Believe In is a good song but only when one is in the right mood (in love). Tattoo is another one for those deep in the romance department.

May I- I like to play this one when I am nervous, particularly when I'm about to meet family and good friends I have not met for a very long time.

Lazy Mornin'- Almost always gets the skip button unless I am bored or traveling, then I love it.

Protocol- Don't usually like to listen to it, but when I get all choked up about the war in Iraq, this song really hits the spot.

There are more, but these 3 are the first to jump to mind. I'll post any others later.
Chris Castleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:31 PM   #3
Borderstone

Chris,I agree that the right mood has to be there for any song you listen too. (Although it's been a long while since I was in the right "mood" to play "Welcome To The Jungle" by Guns & Roses! LOL! :D ) Haven't been that "angry" in a good while.

East Of Midnight (the CD) is best played after like 9pm to 1am,when it's quiet enough. The songs are perfect for that time.

Songs on the Sundown,Summer Side Of Life,IYCRMM,COTS and OD'sR's LPs are best played while the sun is out,early morning & mid-day are best. I think the same goes for the UA songs.

Early evening for his other 80's & 90s LP's (maybe Shadows for the same time as EOM.)

As for my own personal mood,well,that would take too much time to go on about here! :D
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 03:42 PM   #4
<jbt>

this is an interesting topic chris, and i agree with what you guys have said so far.
personally, any crisp and windy (autumn) day with crunchy leaves is an overall gord day for me, but i can admit that the questioning, thinker songs are particularly meaningful during these days. i think of "farewell to annabel", "same old obsession" (is it obvious i've been listening to old dan's records lately?) or, to mention one of formerlylavender's favorites, "restless".
and just to mention, i appreciate "approaching lavender", "it's worth believin'" and maybe "high and dry" most in the spring or any day i don't wake up with a hangover!
great topic
Old 11-02-2005, 03:42 PM   #5
<jbt>

this is an interesting topic chris, and i agree with what you guys have said so far.
personally, any crisp and windy (autumn) day with crunchy leaves is an overall gord day for me, but i can admit that the questioning, thinker songs are particularly meaningful during these days. i think of "farewell to annabel", "same old obsession" (is it obvious i've been listening to old dan's records lately?) or, to mention one of formerlylavender's favorites, "restless".
and just to mention, i appreciate "approaching lavender", "it's worth believin'" and maybe "high and dry" most in the spring or any day i don't wake up with a hangover!
great topic
Old 11-02-2005, 04:27 PM   #6
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

&lt;jbt&gt; you're funny!! "...most any...day [you] don't wake up with a hangover!" I love all those songs you listed. What's so wonderful about this site is it brings all of us together. We all have our different tastes. And I have to say I've been the better for it -- I've re-thought about some songs I've disliked and now can honestly say they're definitely come up quite a few notches on my list. Uhh, except Canary Yellow Canoe. &lt;sigh&gt; Sorry, Gord. Just can't even listen to that one... And MistyMoppens, yeah, like you, if Tattoo (or Softly) ever came on over a store's sound system, I would be in deep doo-doo...
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 11:26 PM   #7
Sheryl

Quote:
Originally posted by MistyMoppens:
Chances are we'll never hear "Tattoo" over the public sound system at the local mall but I've heard "Softly" before so carry a hankie! [/QB]
Now THAT would be awesome! I'm lucky to hear three of his songs on the radio now: IYCRMM, Carefree Highway, and Sundown. But, anything Gord on airtime is a good thing.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:00 AM   #8
jeffyjo

A Painter Passing Through (the album). I really like the title song and think the rest is sort of subpar. So I have to really be in a Gord mood.
jeffyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 12:08 AM   #9
Sheryl

And, oddly enough, that is precisely the song that I'm listening to right now!! how's THAT for coincidence!! (love that song, too, Jeffyjo)
Old 11-03-2005, 09:22 PM   #10
jeffyjo

I'm just that good.

(Right now, though, I'm listening to People Get Ready, Curtis Mayfield & The Impressions).

Jeff
jeffyjo is offline   Reply With Quote