banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2003, 10:16 PM   #1
Mike M

On the Garnet Rogers Yahoo group, they are talking about who would be on a tribute CD and what song would that artist do for Garnet Rogers.

So I would like to pass that along to you all and who do you think could be on a Gordon Lightfoot Tribute CD, if one was to be made, and what song that person would sing of Gordon's.

Just a thought, as he has had a very long career and these tribute CD's seen to be a new thing. And yes, these people with recent tribute CD's are still alive, as when they first started they were for deceased artist's.

Mike Marmer
Germantown, MD

[This message has been edited by Mike M (edited January 17, 2003).]
Mike M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 06:59 PM   #2
LilHoov

So many people have sang Gord's songs,it would be great to see a tribute double CD. set. I always liked Glenn Campbells' version of, THE LAST TIME I SAW HER FACE, and Glenn is still singing these days, mostly in Branson Missouri. And Joan Baez did some nice covers of Gordon's songs as well as Judy Collins, both still singing. Also think Anne Murray would sound great singing songs like Beautiful. Also think it would be nice to have an instrumental included by guitarist Liona Boyd... Randy
LilHoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 11:17 PM   #3
Scott Mac

I like the 2 CD idea. The first person to come to my mind is Tony Rice; however, he is no longer singing so that is probably not an option. There are 2 artists who I think have to be on it: Bob Dylan (He and Gordon share a lot of admiration for each other's work) and Ian Tyson (A friend of Gord's who taught him a lot on the guitar and also an oustanding songwriter.)

There is a multitude of artists that would be a welcome addition. Doc Watson is one of my favorite singer/guitarists. I have always wanted to hear him sing a Lightfoot song. As far as I know he never has but, this my be a chance!

I can't wait to hear this CD!
Scott Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 08:26 AM   #4
Bill

Sawyer Brown could do "Old Dan's Records".
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 06:26 PM   #5
LilHoov

I think VINCE GILL singing , 10 degrees and getting colder,or maybe The mountains and Marion, would be nice too.Vince is a great guitar player and has a plesant voice. Randy
LilHoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 07:23 PM   #6
talbot10

quote:Originally posted by LilHoov:
So many people have sang Gord's songs,it would be great to see a tribute double CD. set. I always liked Glenn Campbells' version of, THE LAST TIME I SAW HER FACE, and Glenn is still singing these days, mostly in Branson Missouri. And Joan Baez did some nice covers of Gordon's songs as well as Judy Collins, both still singing. Also think Anne Murray would sound great singing songs like Beautiful. Also think it would be nice to have an instrumental included by guitarist Liona Boyd... Randy

yes and Glen is singing and playing great these days as witnessed by that new live CD he has out

Bill
talbot10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 03:00 PM   #7
rbengals1

Ive only seen Garth Brooks once but he sang some older songs and did a great job.I'm thinkin Garth singing "Christian Island" Hey Bill I like the Sawyer Brown idea, I can picture that.
Old 01-26-2003, 06:26 PM   #8
Janice

Bru.....are you still with us or have you had heart failure? I thought I heard a thud

J
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 08:32 PM   #9
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Maybe instead of a "tribute" album we should suggest a "DUETS" album like Sinatra did right at the end of his recording career. That way Gord could have control over who sang what, and he'd be on the album, where he belongs.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 12:01 PM   #10
Gord

Jann Arden and Gordon Lightfoot together would be my ultimate dream CD!
Old 01-28-2003, 10:34 PM   #11
dglatta

Garnet Rogers himself singing Shadows!
dglatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 10:58 AM   #12
Steve DeRosa

quote:Originally posted by Scott Mac:
Doc Watson is one of my favorite singer/guitarists. I have always wanted to hear him sing a Lightfoot song. As far as I know he never has but, this my be a chance!

Why not - I've heard Gord do "Tennessee Stud" live...

I'd really like to hear Doc team up with Earl Scruggs for "Alberta Bound" - having done this one myself with an acoustic trio, the instrumental work alone should be worth the price of admission...

Others I'd also like to hear:

Dixie Chicks - "Hangdog Hotel Room"
Bob Dylan - "The House You Live In"
Anne Murray - "That Same Old Obsession"
Willie Nelson - "Second Cup of Coffee"
Bruce Springsteen - "Boss Man" (no pun intended)

[This message has been edited by Steve DeRosa (edited January 31, 2003).]
Steve DeRosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 03:34 PM   #13
Auburn Annie

If we're suggesting covers, what about James Taylor doing "If You Need Me"? "Looking at the Rain" with Rod Stewart (now that he's in more of a ballad mode, or a duet with Gord and Bob Dylan doing "Ring Them Bells" - or anything else - together?
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 07:01 PM   #14
Scott Mac

Why not - I've heard Gord do "Tennessee Stud" live...

I'd really like to hear Doc team up with Earl Scruggs for "Alberta Bound" - having done this one myself with an acoustic trio, the instrumental work alone should be worth the price of admission...

Excellent suggestion Steve!
Scott Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 11:15 PM   #15
gwen snyder

I wonder who Gord might chose to do any of his songs? I bet he would pick Barbara Streisand to do...h-m-m maybe, the Groundhog Song. lol. I think I have finally succumbed to NEO midwinter insanity (no, it's permanent, all-year). Did I hear laughing out there?
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 04:27 PM   #16
roseanna

I'd like to hear Doc Watson sing Steel Rail Blues, to add to his list of train songs. I think Joni Mitchell could do a pretty version of Seven Island Suite.
roseanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 04:31 PM   #17
Jenney

"lol Barbara Streisand singing a Lightfoot tune? "

Actually, she did record a version of If You Could Read My Mind. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't Lightfoot!
jenney
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 11:03 PM   #18
gwen snyder

hey guys don't get me wrong , I like Barbara
Striesand and her music has its' style...but, I agree with the watchman, Gordon Lightfoot just has an unmatchable style. People should not try to re-do anything he does simply because it's hard to match. I have heard a lot of people talk about Tony Rice (?) doing Gord better than Gord, see, this is the level when it just gets ridiculous. OK Gord wrote some songs and some people made them very big songs, but, he still does them in his own style uniquely. Watchman be careful where you aim that American card. Who is Tony Rice I have heard many people rave about him but, still I have not heard one song of his, is he really good with Gord's songs?
Old 02-01-2003, 11:15 AM   #19
gwen snyder

hi watchman

it's a joke!!! we americans are being brutalized because we selectively apply to a logic that dictates an acceptable "format" of what american is and what american isn't... my preference is we are all-l-l in this together, the whole crew of us americans'. good, bad, indifferent, loud with difference or whatever that is the bliss of this american thing, we are let's be tolerant of Barbara because we are tolerant of each other in all the things we do, and let me be first in line to say I do some of the dumbest things. when to raise an eyebrow is the real challenge in america these days. sad tragedy today the Columbia space shuttle blew apart in re-entry. what a terrible tragedy. and watchman the good news is (like 80% of american woman know)Barbara still wakes up next to one of the still cutest hunks of maleness in this america. she's a lucky american woman. and your wife is a lucky american woman to wake up next to you. we're blessed.thanks. have you guys heard that new country song about "in God We Trust" or something like that? I could see Gord doing a better version of this...what do you guys think?
Old 02-01-2003, 04:01 PM   #20
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

One of my favorite Lightfoot covers is If You Could Read My Mind by Don Williams. My second would be Derek Kidd doing Mother Of A Miner's Child if he'd ever get around to recording it. Hint... hint...

Cathy
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 04:16 PM   #21
Borderstone

This topic is before I joined the site. I own a copy of Anne Murray's,"Cotton Jenny" and I feel the pace of it is too slow,at least a beat or two. Of course,the line about the South is eliminated,so altogether it makes for a bit of a letdown. That's most likely why it reached #71 on the national chart. The only 2 "hit" covers I still need are Glen Campbell's "The Last Time" and Spyder Turner's (very hard to find) "I Can't Make It Anymore". It's been the B! Catch ya on the flipside of Sundown!

------------------
Borderstone (Also known as,"The B!")
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 07:00 PM   #22
Auburn Annie

I've always thought "in the hot, sickly South" could easily be revised as "in the hot, STICKY South" - I have a sister who's lived in HOTlanta for 25 years, and sticky pretty much describes both Atlanta and New Orleans and parts of Florida for a good part of the year.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 03:09 PM   #23
Borderstone

I like,"Hot Misty South". It sounds nicer!

------------------
Borderstone (Also known as,"The B!")
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 12:15 PM   #24
Toano-Tide

How about a nice harmony put on by Crosby Stills & Nash on "Race Among The Ruins"?
Toano-Tide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 12:17 PM   #25
Toano-Tide

I remember the Streisand version of IYCRMM. Let's be honest - it was hideous. (Ah, just my opinion)

quote:Originally posted by Jenney:
"lol Barbara Streisand singing a Lightfoot tune? "

Actually, she did record a version of If You Could Read My Mind. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't Lightfoot!
jenney

Toano-Tide is offline   Reply With Quote