banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 10-07-2010, 08:34 AM   #1
charlene

Default being inside a 12 string guitar

http://zeegrooves.blogspot.com/2010/...t-in-wind.html

On Gordon Lightfoot’s “Sundown” LP he used a standard six string on one channel and a “high strung” acoustic on the other channel. With headphones, it was like you were in the middle of a 12-string guitar. It was a very nice effect.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
joveski

Default Re: being inside a 12 string guitar

i always wondering what a "high string" guitar is after it was written in the CD credits... and i am a guitarist!
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
jj

interesting production/mix...not sure if you are asking, but you know how the second set of strings on a 12 are of a gauge that puts them an octave "higher" than the standard set you would find on a 6 string?

a high string guitar uses that set of strings only so you have the standard low E and A strings but the higher pitched D G B E strings are what gives it that crisp ring

i've recorded using one but never with such a production strategy, neato

the GL harmony vs lead vocal mix also seems to have channel separation, so if you listen with headphones it's like being inside Gord's head, lol
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
teherie

Thanks Char:

There is no end to this guy's genius which extends far beyond his songwriting abilities. He is always very humble about his guitar skills but his intricate style of fingerpicking and use of chord progressions is pretty much unmatched.

jj:

High String Tuning is also referred to as Nashville Tuning. Make sure you listen to Red Shea's work on "Ode to Big Blue" and if you are looking for an inexpensive alternative, pick up a Martin Backpacker and set it up for Nashville Tuning. I saw a used one on the Martin Forum for $85 and that's how I strung up my Backpacker.
teherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:07 AM   #5
joveski

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
interesting production/mix...not sure if you are asking, but you know how the second set of strings on a 12 are of a gauge that puts them an octave "higher" than the standard set you would find on a 6 string?
i thought only the E, A and D strings have the 2nd set tuned an octave higher. and that the G. B and E are simply duplicates
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:10 AM   #6
B45-12

joveski is correct....
The "High String" tuning is standard E & B , then G,D,A,E are the octave strings - of a 12 string. This is a nice effect - and usually used for layering.
We used several in the 80's on Nashville and Austin sessions - many with my small 1970 Guild F20. The 3/4 scale guitar seems to work better and is much less stress on the strings when tuning them up that high. On SUNDOWN LP - Gordon (and Lenny W) used it on several songs for texture both with 6 + high-string, 6 + 12 + high string. I believe Terry did most if not all of the overdubs. Used heavily on Nancy Griffith LP's during the Philo/Rounder days, and also - Prine, and a slew of those New Grassy/Folky folks - all who made some memorable recordings.
Nearly always - even with extended range - a capo is still used - often yielding a mandolin effect. Parlor guitars are good for this tuning also!
Old 10-08-2010, 10:24 AM   #7
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveski View Post
i thought only the E, A and D strings have the 2nd set tuned an octave higher
it does sound like you do know and probably meant "always WAS wondering", lol...almost, the G is also an octave higher...i was always ready for that guy to snap when i put on fresh strings...hey, as you may have noticed i gave a totally dyslexic explanation in my post, lol....it's the exact opposite, as b45 pointed out...thanks

i didn't know the Nashville tuning term, thanks...although i do use the term Nashville numbering often when hooking up with others who like to shuffle around key signatures...i will give Big Blue a good listen, neat stuff

there's high string work on Harmony...it was Doidge who first showed me this type of set up...i'm not a big headphone type listener but i do enjoy finding the perfect seating position amidst the old hi fi to take in classic albums...i've been playing some LPs lately, and notice that snap crackles and pops come through both channels in mono
Old 10-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #8
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by B45-12 View Post
Nearly always - even with extended range - a capo is still used - often yielding a mandolin effect
so many interesting tidbits in your post...i never would have thought to add capo but would have worn safety googles if so. lol

hey, here is a nice clip from a site that suits my level of prowess with the ax
http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/fo...hville-tuning/