banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2000, 10:24 PM   #1
endlesswire78@aol.com

Hello, I am new at writing on this website about Gord. I am a huge G.L. fan and would like to see him in a concert sometime. Yet
I am only 21, I have all the albums available on cd as well as my mother's Gord's Gold LP. That was mainly how I started listening to him. My one fav. album is a toss up between Summer Side, and Endless Wire. I really like Endless Wire, just something different about that album and "If children had wings" is one damn good song, I love it. I also play guitar and been playing for about 7 years now and always seem to play Gord's music. I'd be interested to know if there are any G.L. fans my age out there also
Old 02-23-2000, 10:24 PM   #2
endlesswire78@aol.com

Hello, I am new at writing on this website about Gord. I am a huge G.L. fan and would like to see him in a concert sometime. Yet
I am only 21, I have all the albums available on cd as well as my mother's Gord's Gold LP. That was mainly how I started listening to him. My one fav. album is a toss up between Summer Side, and Endless Wire. I really like Endless Wire, just something different about that album and "If children had wings" is one damn good song, I love it. I also play guitar and been playing for about 7 years now and always seem to play Gord's music. I'd be interested to know if there are any G.L. fans my age out there also
Old 02-23-2000, 10:32 PM   #3
paradoxides

I'm 22. I play his music on the guitar too, though probably not as well as you if you've been playing 7 years (I'm more recently self taught). My favourite album is don Quixote. I own almost all I have of him on record, a couple of CD's though. Got my dad Don Quixote for Christmas, it is actually mutually our favourite album. My mom says he's wearing it out already. Oh, anyway, that is answering whether there are fans your age out there...with some babble...
paradoxides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2000, 10:32 PM   #4
Pirate Queen

I'm 22. I play his music on the guitar too, though probably not as well as you if you've been playing 7 years (I'm more recently self taught). My favourite album is don Quixote. I own almost all I have of him on record, a couple of CD's though. Got my dad Don Quixote for Christmas, it is actually mutually our favourite album. My mom says he's wearing it out already. Oh, anyway, that is answering whether there are fans your age out there...with some babble...
Pirate Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2000, 11:45 PM   #5
Jim

24 Here , My first album was also gord's Gold. My dad had it, now I have them all on cd that are available. I couldn't tell you my favorite album, there all great!
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2000, 11:45 PM   #6
Paul J B

24 Here , My first album was also gord's Gold. My dad had it, now I have them all on cd that are available. I couldn't tell you my favorite album, there all great!
Paul J B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2000, 10:09 PM   #7
Lightfoot678

I myself am a 21 year old fan of Gordon Lightfoot. I first began listening to him at an early age and that had an impact on me. Like EndlessWire I also play guitar (Both electric and acoustic) and I often find myself playing Gordon's songs (I was playing "Sundown" at a family holiday get together recently). In fact I found this page when looking for guitar tabs for one of Gordon's songs (I have since found them). Also the first album I heard was my dad's Gords Gold album. I have purchased several of Gordon's albums on CD. Unfortunately I have never had the opportunity to see him in concert although I hope to someday. I am open to all kinds of music from CCR to Led Zeppelin to Korn. But I always will listen to and apreciate the music of Gordon Lightfoot.

------------------
Look into his shining eyes and if you see a ghost don't be surprised......Listen to the strings. That jangle and dangle while the old guitar sings.

The lake it is said never gives up her dead, when the gales of November come early.
Lightfoot678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2000, 02:50 AM   #8
steeler

I'm 21 too and have been a Lightfoot fan for probably my whole life. My dad got me started on it. He use to play Gord's Gold every Sunday morning to wake me and my brother and sisters up for church. I didn't really become a serious fan until I was about 13 or 14. Since then I have bought every one of his albums as well as a bootleg and just recently tracked down copies of the two biography's writen about him. I''ve seen him once in concert in 1995 in Pittsburgh, and I'll be at his show on May 10 in Pittsburgh with my other GL fan friends. I got them all started on his music and there all around my age. I too play a few of his songs on the guitar but I'm not very good. My favorite album would have to be Old Dan's Records. I don't have a favorite song because there all great, but I'm partial to "The House You Live In". Its nice to know that there is a whole new generation of Lightfoot fans out there.
steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2000, 02:50 AM   #9
GMLightfoot

I'm 21 too and have been a Lightfoot fan for probably my whole life. My dad got me started on it. He use to play Gord's Gold every Sunday morning to wake me and my brother and sisters up for church. I didn't really become a serious fan until I was about 13 or 14. Since then I have bought every one of his albums as well as a bootleg and just recently tracked down copies of the two biography's writen about him. I''ve seen him once in concert in 1995 in Pittsburgh, and I'll be at his show on May 10 in Pittsburgh with my other GL fan friends. I got them all started on his music and there all around my age. I too play a few of his songs on the guitar but I'm not very good. My favorite album would have to be Old Dan's Records. I don't have a favorite song because there all great, but I'm partial to "The House You Live In". Its nice to know that there is a whole new generation of Lightfoot fans out there.
GMLightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2000, 03:08 AM   #10
paradoxides

Wow. Does anyone else notice that all the people around our age (with the exception of myself) got hooked by listening to Gord's Gold? Interesting. I didn't even here that until sometime in the 90's when my grandparents died and my grandfather's Gord's Gold found his way to our house. I know when I got hooked, we were driving on vacation in our yellow 1973 Oldsmobile Omega and I wanted to listen to Pete's Dragon for what was like the millionth time (this was on a boombox plugged into the cigarette lighter) and I got vetoed and in went Don Quixote and then I had to listen to that like a million times. The rest is history.
paradoxides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2000, 03:08 AM   #11
Pirate Queen

Wow. Does anyone else notice that all the people around our age (with the exception of myself) got hooked by listening to Gord's Gold? Interesting. I didn't even here that until sometime in the 90's when my grandparents died and my grandfather's Gord's Gold found his way to our house. I know when I got hooked, we were driving on vacation in our yellow 1973 Oldsmobile Omega and I wanted to listen to Pete's Dragon for what was like the millionth time (this was on a boombox plugged into the cigarette lighter) and I got vetoed and in went Don Quixote and then I had to listen to that like a million times. The rest is history.
Pirate Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2000, 06:44 AM   #12
Florian

Well, seems like I also fit the descriptions here quite well. I am 25 years old and Gordon Lightfoot's music has been with me all my life.

It makes me very happy to see that Gordon Lightfoot has many fans in my generation.
Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2000, 03:09 PM   #13
Roger

I'm 18 and I've been a Gordon Lightfoot fan all my life. My mother's a fan, and so I grew up with it. I think I've seen him in concert at least 4 times. I remember in 6th grade I failed a test on Canadian geography (I have a learning disability that makes it very diffcult for me to memorize certain types of information) and my mom said, "but honey, you do know all of the Great Lakes. Remember that verse in Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald? That has all of the lakes, and they're in order except for Lake Erie." I did fine on the retest...

It's kind of interesting here at college. Very few people have heard of Gordon Lightfoot (although one guy who lived down the hall from me last year could sing the first part of Canadian Railroad Trilogy...) but most of them asked their parents about him over break and their parents dug out their old records...it's fun. I'm one of the few people in my dorm with a car, and my radio's broken and only the tape player works...slowly but surely, they're getting used to it...some of them may even become fans....one girl sings along now...

I've actually gone out and bought all of the albums I could find. My mom had most of his Warner Brothers stuff, but I went to the local used record store and picked up the rest of it and his UA stuff. Now I'm more familiar with most of his songs than she is...I think I have all of his offical albums now, although I have abridged versions of Sunday Concert and Lightfoot! . My next project is to start buying this stuff on CD...
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2000, 03:09 PM   #14
Algeh

I'm 18 and I've been a Gordon Lightfoot fan all my life. My mother's a fan, and so I grew up with it. I think I've seen him in concert at least 4 times. I remember in 6th grade I failed a test on Canadian geography (I have a learning disability that makes it very diffcult for me to memorize certain types of information) and my mom said, "but honey, you do know all of the Great Lakes. Remember that verse in Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald? That has all of the lakes, and they're in order except for Lake Erie." I did fine on the retest...

It's kind of interesting here at college. Very few people have heard of Gordon Lightfoot (although one guy who lived down the hall from me last year could sing the first part of Canadian Railroad Trilogy...) but most of them asked their parents about him over break and their parents dug out their old records...it's fun. I'm one of the few people in my dorm with a car, and my radio's broken and only the tape player works...slowly but surely, they're getting used to it...some of them may even become fans....one girl sings along now...

I've actually gone out and bought all of the albums I could find. My mom had most of his Warner Brothers stuff, but I went to the local used record store and picked up the rest of it and his UA stuff. Now I'm more familiar with most of his songs than she is...I think I have all of his offical albums now, although I have abridged versions of Sunday Concert and Lightfoot! . My next project is to start buying this stuff on CD...
Algeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2000, 02:34 PM   #15
Kasey

Algeh - Where do you attend college? I work in a college town and attended the college here some....years ago, and it was always my mission (still is) to educate anybody I could
about Gord. Your college experience is sounding alot like mine. Gord came to our campus back in the seventies and that one was the start of many a concert attendance to come! It's so nice to see the "younger generation" appreciating him now, and discovering him. Spread the word, Algeh!

------------------
"the mornin' after blues, from my head down to my shoes..."
Kasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2000, 02:34 PM   #16
theotterjudy

Algeh - Where do you attend college? I work in a college town and attended the college here some....years ago, and it was always my mission (still is) to educate anybody I could
about Gord. Your college experience is sounding alot like mine. Gord came to our campus back in the seventies and that one was the start of many a concert attendance to come! It's so nice to see the "younger generation" appreciating him now, and discovering him. Spread the word, Algeh!

------------------
"the mornin' after blues, from my head down to my shoes..."
theotterjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2000, 08:44 PM   #17
Roger

I go to college at Lewis and Clark College in Portland, OR. It's a nice little school. (The same one my mother went to. ) I live in the substance-free dorm, so most of the people are pretty reasonable, no real party types (not that i have anything against party types, just that they can be hard to live with.). Don't worry, I'll keep exposing other college students to Gordon Lightfoot at every opportunity.... (I'm sorry this post isn't up to my usual standard of coherancy, I just finished writing an essay and my brain is fried. TGIF.)
Old 03-10-2000, 08:44 PM   #18
Algeh

I go to college at Lewis and Clark College in Portland, OR. It's a nice little school. (The same one my mother went to. ) I live in the substance-free dorm, so most of the people are pretty reasonable, no real party types (not that i have anything against party types, just that they can be hard to live with.). Don't worry, I'll keep exposing other college students to Gordon Lightfoot at every opportunity.... (I'm sorry this post isn't up to my usual standard of coherancy, I just finished writing an essay and my brain is fried. TGIF.)
Old 03-11-2000, 06:12 AM   #19
amz

I am new to this format, but not new to G.L. Have been listening to Gord since the 70's and will get to see him in concert for the first time on May 12th,Carlisle,PA. I am the same age as G.L., and it is so great to see 20 year olds appreciating his music. Now, pass that on to the Bryce Jordan Center at P.S.U. I have been trying to get them to invite him for a concert.
Old 03-11-2000, 06:12 AM   #20
amz

I am new to this format, but not new to G.L. Have been listening to Gord since the 70's and will get to see him in concert for the first time on May 12th,Carlisle,PA. I am the same age as G.L., and it is so great to see 20 year olds appreciating his music. Now, pass that on to the Bryce Jordan Center at P.S.U. I have been trying to get them to invite him for a concert.
Old 03-11-2000, 11:59 AM   #21
Florian

quote:Originally posted by Algeh:
I'm one of the few people in my dorm with a car, and my radio's broken and only the tape player works...slowly but surely, they're getting used to it...some of them may even become fans....one girl sings along now...

Hi Algeh,

Welcome to this discussion board!

I really like the part about playing Gordon Lightfoot's music in the car. I do exactly the same to my innocent victims !

quote:Originally posted by Algeh:
I think I have all of his offical albums now, although I have abridged versions of Sunday Concert and Lightfoot!. My next project is to start buying this stuff on CD...

If you plan to buy "Sunday Concert Live", I strongly suggest you go for the "Sunday Concert Plus" edition. It's a little bit more expensive, but includes songs like "Spin, Spin" or "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues (Bob Dylan)" which are not available on CD otherwise.
Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2000, 06:12 PM   #22
Lightfoot678

Algeh

A suggestion for getting the UA albums on CD. Pick up the United Artists Collection. It's got all of the music from the UA albums on it except for Sunday Concert (I'm with Florian on that one. Pick up the plus edition. It's worth the extra money.)

------------------
Look into his shining eyes and if you see a ghost don't be surprised......Listen to the strings. That jangle and dangle while the old guitar sings.

The lake it is said never gives up her dead, when the gales of November come early.

[This message has been edited by Lightfoot678 (edited March 12, 2000).]
Old 03-12-2000, 06:15 PM   #23
Lightfoot678

Algeh

A suggestion for getting the UA albums on CD. Pick up the United Artists Collection. It's got all of the music from the UA albums on it except for Sunday Concert (I'm with Floria on that one. Pick up the plus edition. It's worth the extra money.)

------------------

Old 03-12-2000, 11:24 PM   #24
Roger

I just wanted to thank everyone for their replies.....It's a few months until my birthday but I'll pass along the info about the compilation to my mother when the time comes....
Old 03-12-2000, 11:24 PM   #25
Algeh

I just wanted to thank everyone for their replies.....It's a few months until my birthday but I'll pass along the info about the compilation to my mother when the time comes....