banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 02-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #76
charlene

Default Re: Terry

I think we'll have to take Lightfoot's lead as to how the interaction and personalities mesh onstage with the new player...if he's good to go then I think it will help all of us. It's sure gonna be different.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #77
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderstone View Post
"A friend of mine was writing the score for a film at Paramount," he recalls. "They wanted to try Gord singing the title theme. They calles him in and right then and there he said, 'You want to join my band?' That's when Red [Shea] was still in there. I said I wanted to try this movie music stuff for a while. Then Gord calls up out of he blue, like late 1970, and says, 'What're you doing? How would you like a hipper gig? ..."

so what film's theme was Gord singing for and who ended up getting the gig?

hints seemed to be:

- it was Burt Reynold's first (title role?) flick, according to www.lightfoot.ca quote
- it was a Paramount film
- it was around 1970s...note: the film may have been in post production for some time

hmmm, Burt's first film with Paramount seemed to be 1974, Longest Yard

http://www.filmreference.com/film/41/Burt-Reynolds.html

but Deliverence (1972) or Navajo Joe seemed to be earlier breakthrough roles

ANYONE have a guess?

btw, i really dig 3 particular tidbits/quotes from that article:

- he reunited with his mother after his years in the orphanage (sigh)

- "want to join a hipper gig" (lol)

- "come up with something" (i really like that one)

there should be a book out there that just details the most interesting uniting of various band members over the past, say, sixty years ...timing is everything ...and i suppose, having a bit of talent can also be worth something

lastly, i've REALLY enjoyed the shared anecdotes and A1 photos in this thread
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #78
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderstone View Post
Clements spent two years in the navy, where he "busted up" his right and. He now picks with just a flatpick and his ring finger. He was part of Golden Sunflower in he '60sm a group managed by Lou Adler (manager of he Mamas and the Papas). Clements wrote and arranged for the group, and he was the only band member who actually played on the group's album
I believe the group was actually called Giant Sunflower:

Val Garay, Terry Clements, Eddie Hoh, Rick Dey, Patti Phillips

...Val, still quite active with producing and industry involvement

ps) as well as the above tidbit, another testimonial to his playing accolades that came to mind, was that he accompanied ALL acts in that Detroit/Benefit years ago (Lightfoot, Denver, Taylor, Chapin)...a nice hand he received when Gord had him tip his 'cap' to the energized audience
Old 02-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #79
Kelly Davis

My heart sank when I read the post.

Even as I'm typing this, I'm looking at Terry's autograph on the 'Songbook' poster above my desk with all the band's signatures on it.

The last concert we were at was Aurora, IL last fall. Glad I have some audio/video clips.

My family was the last ones to talk to Terry before they had to leave. We have some video of him singing a song from his "Posthumously Yours" album he was producing for a friend of his who had passed away about 10 years ago. (funny how life is)

We have had so many gracious conversations with Terry over the years. He has literally seen our 3 kids grow up. We even have a great picture of Terry tying my then-2-year old son's shoelace. (how many professional musicians would do that for a child ?????!!!!!)

Right before they had to go, my wife and I thanked them for coming again to Aurora. As he was walking away to leave, he turned around and said, "If it weren't for you guys, we wouldn't even be here!" Those are the last words Terry said to us.

Will there be a thread on which to send condolences directly to his family here on Corfid?

Charlene ?
Kelly Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #80
Jenney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy View Post
Terrible news, Jenney. I'll never forget that long ago night in Red Bank.

I've been down in the dumps since hearing this.

Cathy
that was a great night Cathy. I'm glad you two got to reunite in Binghamton last year. I remember how happy he was to see you.

You're right Char, those will be some mighty big slippers to fill. I asked him once about wearing slippers on stage, and he said he liked to feel the pedals under his feet, and couldn't stand how loud his feet sounded on stage. He was bummed about Eaton's closing, he didn't know where he was going to get his slippers anymore.

Typical Terry comment (which I now understand he stole from Rick):

Hey Terry, how are you?
"I've been better, but it cost more"
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:55 PM   #81
Sundreme

I still haven't seen anything in the press about his passing. I know EMP is dealing with their own grief right now and maybe they haven't gotten around to it. I also know that Terry was a humble man and wouldn't want a "big deal" to be made about him, but if people with much less talent make front page news these days, I think someone as wonderful as Terry at least deserves a notice in the media.
Sundreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:34 PM   #82
Rob1956

Funny, Sundreme, I haven't found any press about it either. I checked the Toronto Sun and NewsRadio 680 sites but nothing on there. There's a folksinger from Nova Scotia, Dylan Monier who sometimes does broadcasts on BlogTv, I mentioned it to him in a chatroom. He was very sorry to hear it, but the news hadn't made it to Lightfoot fans in NS yet.
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #83
charlene

If the family or EMP has put nothing out to be reported then the press won't have anything/ There will be something only when that is done. If at all.
I get all 4 papers and there's nothing in them and I have not heard anything since Monday.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:20 PM   #84
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
I now have a set of 22 fettled files and intend uploading them to a file sharing website shortly
but the sad news of Terry's passing made me realise that the MOTD track would make a most fitting tribute to his memory
So I will concentrate on uploading that track first
I wrote the above for another new thread today

OK done right click this link then "Save Target As" to download a 192 KBPS mp3 (about 4MB)
http://johnfowles.org.uk/LIGHTFOOT/E...The%20Dawn.mp3
the riff is not very long it begins at 1:41 and lasts for only about 25 glorious seconds long so it is a crying shame that Terry was not allowed to include it on other occasions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm7777 View Post
Terry Clements' lead guitar in "I'll Do Anything" is a favorite, although it gives the song a kind of Marty Robbins feel....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm7777 View Post
The electric guitar and steel riff in "She's Not The Same", is another favorite. There are lots of others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brink- View Post
I always loved when we got a good audience and they would applaud Terry's playing on Sundown or his riff on another song - he would have the sweetest smile and be all shy about it, shrugging his shoulders. But he would beam at the recognition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brink- View Post
Every musician in that band has a signature song (for me), SFAWN or WOTEF (Restless is great too) - Barry, Alberta Bound - Mike, Sundown (intro is fantastic) - Rick sometimes they don't get the recognition. Terry stood out on his songs because he did "solos" he loved every second of it. He sure will be missed. I would be a nervous new guy.

Last edited by johnfowles; 02-23-2011 at 06:33 PM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #85
Gord H

It has been quite some time since I have made an appearance here on the forum. I just happened to "stick my head in the door" and I am absolutely stunned beyond words to hear of Terry's sudden passing ( sudden to me).

I have had the good fortune of meeting all the guys in the band over the last 20 some odd years and I will never forget the first time I met Terry here in Brantford at the Sanderson Centre.

After the concert 6 of us were outside the backstage door freezing our butts off waiting for Gord, when Terry spotted us.. told us to come in out of the cold and he invited all of us to all the food and drink we wanted. I was shocked beyond words. He was one hell of a nice guy!

I only wish I could have attended some of the most recent concerts in this neck of the woods but couldn't.

Gord H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:00 AM   #86
brink-

http://www.voy.com/221392/57507.html

Other than Char's on mudcat.org this is the only thing I have found.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:51 AM   #87
jj

hey deb...that's Wayne's post...i especially love a few of his phrases (style inhabiting the music/fabric of the song) in that last sentence

http://www.lightfoot.ca/terryc.htm

i remember being quite concerned about Terry twelve months ago while watching and listening to this acoustic set...i listened in a relaxed yet intense state: his so subtle work in those sweet renditions of RDP and IYCRMM... it was like hearing them for the first time...i just did so again... those tunes truly will endure, long after Gord (and myself) are gone...as will Terry's quiet legacy

http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/cod/concerts/20100204light

his brittle frame exited stage left with Rick without flare, wearing quite satisfied expressions... those few seconds will be forever preserved in my mind
Old 02-24-2011, 02:27 AM   #88
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post

his brittle frame exited stage left with Rick without flare, wearing quite satisfied expressions... those few seconds will be forever preserved in my mind

oh how i envy you being there.... you are so lucky to have that memory, no matter how bittersweet.
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:37 AM   #89
Lisa J

http://gordonlightfoot.com/#terryclements

i don't think i saw this posted yet, but i may have missed it. if it was already up, please forgive me for the repeat

lisa
Old 02-24-2011, 09:04 AM   #90
charlene

That was a memorable night for sure James - I remember watching him closely too and the expressions both he and Rick had when Gord Downie mentioned them and then came over to shake both of their hands. Terry did his little shoulder shrug and 'oh gosh' look.

Quote:
hey deb...that's Wayne's post...i especially love a few of his phrases (style inhabiting the music/fabric of the song) in that last sentence

i remember being quite concerned about Terry twelve months ago while watching and listening to this acoustic set...i listened in a relaxed yet intense state: his so subtle work in those sweet renditions of RDP and IYCRMM... it was like hearing them for the first time...i just did so again... those tunes truly will endure, long after Gord (and myself) are gone...as will Terry's quiet legacy

Old 02-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #91
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
about 25 glorious seconds long so it is a crying shame that Terry was not allowed to include it on other occasions[/SIZE]

thanks for sharing this clip, john...what year?

seems like Gord planned omission (or forgetting vocals and saying 'to heck with it') for that verse had Terry playing the accompaniment he usually plays (listen to prior verse) but then once he realized he was 'soloing' he may have embellished his fills a bit...and as Deb, char and others have noted, gave the signature "who me?" shrug as the crowd, rightfully acknowledged him

only john and others present could relay the body language and interactions

on that note, similarly, i do like the unintentional verse "solo" in Heaven Don't Deserve Me

i forgot the Downie hand shakes earlier on, char...yeah, loved that

lisa j, wondered what song/riff she was learning, seems like an Em, The Wreck?
Old 02-24-2011, 07:09 PM   #92
Islandgirl1

I found this through a google search:

http://www.streaminggoldies.com/modu...ticle&sid=2497
[the full link did not post. However it will take you to the streaming goldies website. Once there, scroll down to the seventh article which is Terry's.]

It is very simular to the voy.com one.
I believe I came across it on Tues. 2/22.
I want to thank Char & others for the fantastic photos of Terry on this thread.

I have a couple of Terry stories & will return soon to tell them.

Right now I would like to give my condolences to Terry's family & friends and Gord and the band.

Dorothea
Islandgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:08 PM   #93
jj

looking forward to your stories, dorothea

similar, yes, if not identical...again, this is what appeared in the News section at the Lightfoot site (although I don't deem it an EMP press release):

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Terry Clements Passes Away - February 2011

He was an integral part of the signature Lightfoot sound. His seamless and inventive playing added a unique imprint onto every song he played - on record or on the stage. He began playing with Lightfoot in 1971 after Lightfoot had met him in Los Angeles while Terry was working on the soundtrack to an early Burt Reynolds movie. Up until then Terry had been working with Buck Owens as a house writer and with producer Lou Adler (Mamas and the Papas). Terry told me he recorded an album of his own around that time, but I've never been able to track it down.

After their first meeting, Lightfoot asked Terry to join the band, as Red Shea was wanting to get off of the road. Eventually Terry accepted and he remained a fixture with Lightfoot for the next 40 years.

He will forever be associated with his work with Lightfoot, whether on the haunting, iconic solos of The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald, the soulful grace of The Watchman's Gone, the sublime dexterity of Carefree Highway, the list of highlights of Terry's playing go on and on. He was always so creative, yet never repetitive, his style inhabiting the music, never seeming to be added on as an afterthought, but instead always feeling like a part of the fabric of the song.

He will be missed...
Old 02-24-2011, 09:39 PM   #94
charlene

I saw that yesterday - not from EMP...

Quote:
looking forward to your stories, dorothea

similar, yes, if not identical...again, this is what appeared in the News section at the Lightfoot site (although I don't deem it an EMP press release):

Terry Clements Passes Away - February 2011

He was an integral part of the signature Lightfoot sound. His seamless and inventive playing added a unique imprint onto every song he played - on record or on the stage. He began playing with Lightfoot in 1971 after Lightfoot had met him in Los Angeles while Terry was working on the soundtrack to an early Burt Reynolds movie. Up until then Terry had been working with Buck Owens as a house writer and with producer Lou Adler (Mamas and the Papas). Terry told me he recorded an album of his own around that time, but I've never been able to track it down.

After their first meeting, Lightfoot asked Terry to join the band, as Red Shea was wanting to get off of the road. Eventually Terry accepted and he remained a fixture with Lightfoot for the next 40 years.

He will forever be associated with his work with Lightfoot, whether on the haunting, iconic solos of The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald, the soulful grace of The Watchman's Gone, the sublime dexterity of Carefree Highway, the list of highlights of Terry's playing go on and on. He was always so creative, yet never repetitive, his style inhabiting the music, never seeming to be added on as an afterthought, but instead always feeling like a part of the fabric of the song.

He will be missed...
Old 02-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #95
charlene

D.Rosati pic;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0639small.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	4172  
Old 02-24-2011, 10:17 PM   #96
Lisa J

I found this today.

http://themusicsover.wordpress.com/2...erry-clements/
Old 02-24-2011, 10:29 PM   #97
Jenney

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
D.Rosati pic;
Dan, thank you for that picture. That one sure got to me.
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:27 PM   #98
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa J View Post
thx, i like that site, lisa...well, other than the reason it exits

re: DOB unknown....i believe his birth date was July 22, 1947

re: Golden Sunflower....i believe the band name was Giant Sunflower
...perhaps Garay has an early recording still preserved, a rarity

not important in the big, somber picture, but it doesn't sound like any here know what the film theme song Gord was auditioning for when Terry and he first met... perhaps a question for Ring, Ring #3, char
Old 02-25-2011, 12:47 AM   #99
charlene

I know from speaking with someone a few years ago at Mariposa and talking about Terry's 60th coming up.. That was July 2007. And I know it was July 22..I remember it because mine is a July b.d. too - July 10. Liona confirmed it with me yesterday. Her b.d. is the day after mine.
July 22, 1947. That's correct. Terry would have been 64 this July.

Ring ring #4

For some reason I think I've read that info about that theme song somewhere recently...I'll have to suss it out.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:47 AM   #100
brink-

Quote:

I had no idea that was Wayne's forum. I pop in there from time to time. Thanks for posting the link....words just aren't enough.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote