banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 04-19-2007, 06:51 AM   #1
2Much2Lose

Last night's show at the Warner Theater seemed like it was sold out, or near sold out. The Warner is a beautiful old theater that has been renovated and is just gorgeous now. I once had an audition there and it intimadated the stuffing out of me! I much prefer sitting in the audience there!

Here's the set list from last night's show.
Cotton Jenny
Carefree Highway
Sea of Tranquility
14 Karat Gold
Never Too Close
In My Fashion
Ring them Bells
Rainy Day People
Shadows
Blackberry Wine
The Watchman's Gone
Ribbon of Darkness/Sundown ( some yahoo, who's voice was very familiar, sang out the last Over You during the pause, cracked me up!)
The Wreck

Intermission

Triangle
Hangdog Hotel Room
All the Lovely Ladies
Clouds of Lonliness
A Painter Passing Through
Waiting For You
If You Could Read My Mind
Make Way for the Lady
Baby Step Back (more about that later!)
Pony Man
Early Morning Rain
Encore: Old Dan's Records

The crowd really seemed to appreciate Terry's playing, and they loved Gord. One woman called out for Pony Man, which Gord eventually did. It took her a min to catch on he was playing it, and when she did she yelled out Thank You! Then, Today's my birthday! Man, she had a set of lungs on her, she was loud!
I went to the show with my brother, and a friend who is a fan, but not a Lighthead. It was the first show I'd been to in years that I wasn't with another Lighthead, and I found it was very different. My friend enjoyed hearing some of the new stuff, and found APPT and Cloud's of Lonliness both very sad. Especially APPT. It was poignant as his voice was a a bit strained on that song.
My brother wondered out loud why Gord didn't drop the songs a half a key (uh oh!), and when he started playing the Wreck commented that he thought that song was his finest, and that it was the best example of folk music that he's ever heard. That it told a story, and memorialized an event that could have been lost. When Gord started playing Baby Step Back, my brother asked me what he was saying. He thought GL was singing Baby Got Back! He thought it was odd, but gave GL credit for trying to be contemporary! Steve thought that maybe Gord should try busting out some gangsta moves and change it to Baby Got Back. I don't think the song will ever be the same for me! It was pretty darn funny!

I'll be seeing GL on the first night of this 10 day tour, and the last day. Wish I could squeeze more in, but can't happen right now.

Jenney

[ April 19, 2007, 19:33: Message edited by: Jenney ]
Old 04-19-2007, 06:51 AM   #2
Jenney

Last night's show at the Warner Theater seemed like it was sold out, or near sold out. The Warner is a beautiful old theater that has been renovated and is just gorgeous now. I once had an audition there and it intimadated the stuffing out of me! I much prefer sitting in the audience there!

Here's the set list from last night's show.
Cotton Jenny
Carefree Highway
Sea of Tranquility
14 Karat Gold
Never Too Close
In My Fashion
Ring them Bells
Rainy Day People
Shadows
Blackberry Wine
The Watchman's Gone
Ribbon of Darkness/Sundown ( some yahoo, who's voice was very familiar, sang out the last Over You during the pause, cracked me up!)
The Wreck

Intermission

Triangle
Hangdog Hotel Room
All the Lovely Ladies
Clouds of Lonliness
A Painter Passing Through
Waiting For You
If You Could Read My Mind
Make Way for the Lady
Baby Step Back (more about that later!)
Pony Man
Early Morning Rain
Encore: Old Dan's Records

The crowd really seemed to appreciate Terry's playing, and they loved Gord. One woman called out for Pony Man, which Gord eventually did. It took her a min to catch on he was playing it, and when she did she yelled out Thank You! Then, Today's my birthday! Man, she had a set of lungs on her, she was loud!
I went to the show with my brother, and a friend who is a fan, but not a Lighthead. It was the first show I'd been to in years that I wasn't with another Lighthead, and I found it was very different. My friend enjoyed hearing some of the new stuff, and found APPT and Cloud's of Lonliness both very sad. Especially APPT. It was poignant as his voice was a a bit strained on that song.
My brother wondered out loud why Gord didn't drop the songs a half a key (uh oh!), and when he started playing the Wreck commented that he thought that song was his finest, and that it was the best example of folk music that he's ever heard. That it told a story, and memorialized an event that could have been lost. When Gord started playing Baby Step Back, my brother asked me what he was saying. He thought GL was singing Baby Got Back! He thought it was odd, but gave GL credit for trying to be contemporary! Steve thought that maybe Gord should try busting out some gangsta moves and change it to Baby Got Back. I don't think the song will ever be the same for me! It was pretty darn funny!

I'll be seeing GL on the first night of this 10 day tour, and the last day. Wish I could squeeze more in, but can't happen right now.

Jenney

[ April 19, 2007, 19:33: Message edited by: Jenney ]
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:37 AM   #3
Moosedog

Sounds like you had a great time, Jenney!

Vickie
Moosedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:46 AM   #4
charlene

oh my - now wouldn't that be something...Lightfoot and the boys steppin' out and doing some choreographed moves..that's too funny..
hmmm. no "Beautiful" in the set but he did do "Make Way For The Lady"..and he didn't slip "I'll Tag Along" into the mix..

I thought you were going to 4 shows...the next one will be with at least one Lighthead so you can both get up and 'git down' with Gord!
thanks for the report Sparky..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:46 AM   #5
charlene

oh my - now wouldn't that be something...Lightfoot and the boys steppin' out and doing some choreographed moves..that's too funny..
hmmm. no "Beautiful" in the set but he did do "Make Way For The Lady"..and he didn't slip "I'll Tag Along" into the mix..

I thought you were going to 4 shows...the next one will be with at least one Lighthead so you can both get up and 'git down' with Gord!
thanks for the report Sparky..
Old 04-19-2007, 08:07 AM   #6
2Much2Lose

Nope, only 3 shows for me this time.
Make Way for the Lady was wonderful as usual. My brother commented that the band played with a "casual elegance" which I thought was a great description.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:07 AM   #7
Jenney

Nope, only 3 shows for me this time.
Make Way for the Lady was wonderful as usual. My brother commented that the band played with a "casual elegance" which I thought was a great description.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:24 AM   #8
charlene

first night, last night...that's two...3rd night?
it's 3 more than I'm getting to!

casual elegance..oh yeah...that's the mood for that song...luverly..
are ya ready for it Diane??

Old 04-19-2007, 08:24 AM   #9
charlene

Old 04-19-2007, 08:54 AM   #10
RJ

re: brother wondered out loud why Gord didn't drop the songs a half a key..

..an astute observation, and I'm sure its been discussed thoroughly on this site; the answer of course must be the commitment to the capo arrangement; subsequent guitar phrasing etc. (stuff like All the Lovely Ladies, Wild Strawberries, Morning Glory, Lesson in Love, CRT, the E5 songs etc.; just aint gonna get changed).. I think its safe to say the songs will always be live, what they've always been etc.. That being said, the slowing of the meter over the years, and the slight variations in melody lines etc.(someone was discussing recently concerning the end of Beautiful for a good example) give the aging pipes some options.. so its all good.. Nice write-up of the show.. Thanks allot..

[ April 19, 2007, 10:07: Message edited by: RJ ]
RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:24 AM   #11
Rona

I also attended last night and it was a great show. The Warner is a great place for Gord, I think his persona and the facility match perfect! I agree it was close to a sell out and with very few exceptions a great crowd. His voice was weak for the first few songs, but by the second set, I thought he sounded better than I have heard in a long time. The band was great, in fact it was a flawless performance. Terry, Rick and Gord both were outstanding on the strings and it was nice to hear the 12 string so often last night. Gord seemed in good spirits and it was a wonderful time. I hung around afterwards around back and Gord came out and we chatted for a few minutes. He told me he felt great and we even talked about a meeting we had in 1978 at Avery Fisher in NYC. He remembered (or made me feel good because he is a gentleman!) our meeting with some mutual buddies and remarked that the 70's era was the best of times! Rick was close by and he nodded in agreement. A great time was had by all, I hope and pray for his continued health and ambition, he is a truly remarkable talent and more than a legend at this point in his career.
Rona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:24 AM   #12
Paul H

I also attended last night and it was a great show. The Warner is a great place for Gord, I think his persona and the facility match perfect! I agree it was close to a sell out and with very few exceptions a great crowd. His voice was weak for the first few songs, but by the second set, I thought he sounded better than I have heard in a long time. The band was great, in fact it was a flawless performance. Terry, Rick and Gord both were outstanding on the strings and it was nice to hear the 12 string so often last night. Gord seemed in good spirits and it was a wonderful time. I hung around afterwards around back and Gord came out and we chatted for a few minutes. He told me he felt great and we even talked about a meeting we had in 1978 at Avery Fisher in NYC. He remembered (or made me feel good because he is a gentleman!) our meeting with some mutual buddies and remarked that the 70's era was the best of times! Rick was close by and he nodded in agreement. A great time was had by all, I hope and pray for his continued health and ambition, he is a truly remarkable talent and more than a legend at this point in his career.
Paul H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:34 AM   #13
Gitchigumee

Wait a minute Jenney. I can't believe that he didn't do "If You Could Read My Mind"...
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:34 AM   #14
imported_Next_Saturday

Wait a minute Jenney. I can't believe that he didn't do "If You Could Read My Mind"...
imported_Next_Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:54 AM   #15
byKimberly

Send a message via AIM to byKimberly

I was just thinking, last night, how I miss seeing Gord, when I linked to a Gord video on 'MySpace". I miss seeing the boys and hope by some miracle I get to see them soon. Till then thanks for sharing your shows with us.
Kimberly
Old 04-19-2007, 10:56 AM   #16
Cat_Writer

Cotton Jenny and Carefree Highway?!?

My buddy and I were out by the ticket takers, stuffing the last few bites of the sandwiches we picked up across the street in our mouths & we couldn't hear any music being played or crowd applause. If we did, we would have discarded our food & rushed in. I could have sworn that the lights went down & the concert started just as we we about to enter the hall. After we ousted the 2 people who were sitting in our seats, I noted that "Sea of Tranquility" was being performed. Could it be that I missed 2 songs while we were locating our seats in the dark? I guess. I'm pretty bummed now. :-(

Anyway... I thought it was a wonderful show. My friend thought that GL sounded better than at the last show he had attended in 2000. Fittingly, "The Pony Man" was being performed right around the time that I might have otherwise been home singing it to my kids.

Last night was my 20th Lightfoot concert. My first GL show was in 1979 & was the 2nd concert of any artist I ever attended.

Jim
Cat_Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:56 AM   #17
Jim W.

Cotton Jenny and Carefree Highway?!?

My buddy and I were out by the ticket takers, stuffing the last few bites of the sandwiches we picked up across the street in our mouths & we couldn't hear any music being played or crowd applause. If we did, we would have discarded our food & rushed in. I could have sworn that the lights went down & the concert started just as we we about to enter the hall. After we ousted the 2 people who were sitting in our seats, I noted that "Sea of Tranquility" was being performed. Could it be that I missed 2 songs while we were locating our seats in the dark? I guess. I'm pretty bummed now. :-(

Anyway... I thought it was a wonderful show. My friend thought that GL sounded better than at the last show he had attended in 2000. Fittingly, "The Pony Man" was being performed right around the time that I might have otherwise been home singing it to my kids.

Last night was my 20th Lightfoot concert. My first GL show was in 1979 & was the 2nd concert of any artist I ever attended.

Jim
Jim W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:58 AM   #18
Cat_Writer

Quote:
Originally posted by Next_Saturday:
He did... Jenney omitted Waiting For You and IYCRMM, which came after APPT.

I didn't catch the omission, since I was concentrating on the fact that I unknowingly missed the 1st 2 songs

Jim
Cat_Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:58 AM   #19
Jim W.

Quote:
Originally posted by Next_Saturday:

I didn't catch the omission, since I was concentrating on the fact that I unknowingly missed the 1st 2 songs

Jim
Jim W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:09 AM   #20
Sundown17

Quote:
Originally posted by charlene:

You betcha! 9 days and 8 hours (not that I am counting? )
Sundown17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:31 PM   #21
RM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim W.:
quote:Originally posted by Next_Saturday:

Jim
[/QUOTE]Its amazing how one can be so engrossed in listening that they forget to write. But, as John Prine said, "Same thing, same thing happened to me".
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:55 PM   #22
2Much2Lose

Doh! I know I wrote it down, but was so intent on typing this up before I left for work that I must have forgotten to put those two down. I certainly remember him playing them though.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:55 PM   #23
Jenney

Doh! I know I wrote it down, but was so intent on typing this up before I left for work that I must have forgotten to put those two down. I certainly remember him playing them though.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:00 PM   #24
charlene

you were drunk with happiness!!.. how did your coat enjoy the show?

Old 04-19-2007, 03:00 PM   #25
charlene

you were drunk with happiness!!.. how did your coat enjoy the show?