banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
      
round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-22-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
brink
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 1,388
Default Tampa-Char's Not Here????

After the show last night we (Lori and Donnie) took a picture up to have Gord sign it for you Char. He looked puzzled and then said "Char's not here?" "But I sang that song for her, I'll Tag Along, she reuested it. Char's not here?"
Gord came out the beginning of the second set and played I'll Tag Along -- SOLO, for you Char, he didn't know that you didn't make it.

It was a fantastic show! Besides the I'll Tag Along solo, If Children, SFAWN, Alberta Bound, CRT, Watchman, My Little Love, and Ring Them Bells, among many others. Great variety of songs. The crowd loved him and he was really excited about the feedback that he was getting. In the middle of a set he noticed somebody place a CD to get signed, he signed it and gave it to the gal - during the concert - someone shouted out "You're all class" - isn't that an understatement?
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
charlene
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 15,537
Default Re: Char's Not Here????

Oh MY!! - but I have mentioned it to him a couple of times!
lol
Who knew he'd take it to heart! ack!
Maybe at Massey he'll do it again...I'll be there for sure!!
He's very sweet and a class act all the way - 100%.
I sure wish I'd have made it to hear it and to spend time with all of you..
Anyone make a set list???..he's sure mixing it up these days..
My family had a great time too and said the theatre was fabulous..as was Gord!

VIDEO from TAMPA- I'LL TAG ALONG: (courtesy of Lori) www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q863uzRYUak
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
RM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,965
Default Re: Char's Not Here????

CHAR: I know you throw Ponyman in once in a while. What Iíd like to hear is ďIíll Tag Along.Ē

G.L.: I know, see thatís a very nice song and itís one of my favourite practice tunes as well to play when Iím working here alone at the house. I sometimes would like to do that to open up side two and I could think about doing thatÖ.maybe Iíll try that.


There ya go.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:44 AM   #4
Jesse Joe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,863
Default Re: Char's Not Here????

Char all those years of being a loyal fan has really been worth it, right ? You should invite him for dinner some times ? I wouldn't be surprise that he would accept. Or to have him at one of your Delta soiree in May, where he could meet a lot of Corfidians ?

Sir John once told me that he once did "Sit Down Young Stranger," and at the end he sang it, "John loves Susan does anyone love me." { instead of Mary}

I have to say it again Char... What a guy eh !
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:07 AM   #5
charlene
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 15,537
Default Re: Char's Not Here????

Ask and ye shall receive..
lol
there ya go!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:35 AM   #6
Jesse Joe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,863
Default Re: Char's Not Here????

From being friends with Ernie Coombs {Mr.Dress Up} to legend, Gordon Lightfoot.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:55 PM   #7
charlene
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 15,537
Default Re: Char's Not Here????

I might have to pull out this old T-Shirt from 1975 to wear to Massey.
it seems quite apropos!
lol
On the back of the T-shirt is a list of songs with "Love" themes..and "Lovin' Me" is there. I can only imagine that it refers to "That's What You Get For Lovin' Me"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Char-I'm Yours For A Song-1975-Audio Magnetics.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	874  
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:50 PM   #8
Jesse Joe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,863
Default Re: Char's Not Here????

Looking good, Rebel Char !
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:59 PM   #9
Jesse Joe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,863
Default Re: Char's Not Here????

I also have a T-Shirt from 1976, where we had them made for the CB radio club we were in. The idea was to have our handle name stamp on the front. Since my handle was LIGHTFOOT, I had GORDON on the top part w/ guitar in center and LIGHTFOOT on the bottom. It is blue with white letterings. I always kept it... but boy was I skinny in 1976... lol
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:00 PM   #10
charlene
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 15,537
Default Re: Char's Not Here????

1975 was also the year I saw my first LIGHTFOOT concert at Massey..I was his for a song from the git-go!
lol
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:49 AM   #11
RJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 194
Default Tampa

Just a couple quickie words about Thursday night's show at the beautiful Tampa Theater..

It was much fun.. Gord had a few trouble spots vocally which he made light of.. He mentioned (before Trilogy if I recall correctly) that he had to "rewrite some of the song" to find good notes etc.. which in fact he did.. he very creatively put some new melody lines in key places which was really fascinating (and a sign of things to come I do believe (i.e.. since we can't just take the capos off and/or transpose the tunes etc., why not rewrite'em! etc.)).. If Children Had Wings was really a cool addition this year, as was My Little Love which had an interesting arrangement with Barry playing only a shaker throughout (no drum on this one; it was quiet and thoughtful and acoustic).. Clouds of Lonliness knocks me out every time.. Oh, and get this, a solo Tag Along opened the 2nd side, very unexpected, very cool, which, though Gord fumbled the guitar phrasing a bit, was really a nice choice.. With a "We'll do the Dylan song" as introduction, Ring Them Bells was outstanding, and felt very moving to me.. As Gord closed out the 2nd set to disappear before the encore he grabbed both hands around his own throat and went, "AAACCCKKKK!!!" and then smiled warmly, acknowledging his vocal troubles.. everyone laughed and it was great fun.. (please folks, no more "Breaking news everybody! His voice isn't what it used to be!" postings etc.. yes.. we know that.. thank you.. he's acknowledged it, we're moving beyond that now.. and going ever onward.. etc.).. Terry clowned around through the entire show.. in fact, all the guys were more animated than any show I've ever seen.. I sense that perhaps the death of B.H. (and of course Gord's own troubles a few years back etc.) changed the chemistry in as much as the guys might feel a little like they're out there now on "borrowed time" if you will.. with nothin much t'lose, etc.. they were very relaxed and having a good time throughout.. I loved it.. I had a great time.. Hopefully it's onto Massey in May for me.. but after what I experienced in Tampa, I'll make every effort to see them again somewhere.. sometime.. I truly hope..

Last edited by RJ; 02-25-2008 at 02:33 PM.
RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:50 AM   #12
charlene
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 15,537
Default Re: Tampa

makes me wish I'd been there even more!!!..Brink said in an earlier post that it was a fab night..and I'd have loved to been there for the big solo of I'll Tag Along..
c'mon up to Massey!!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:14 AM   #13
RJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 194
Default Re: Tampa

re: solo Tag Along to kick off the 2nd set..

Yes he comes walkin out all by himself with the Martin..
Made my little heart go thumpity-thump etc..
It was like the old days when he used to come out and sit down on that black stool and do East of Midnight etc..
Great stuff..

Last edited by RJ; 02-25-2008 at 10:20 AM.
RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #14
charlene
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 15,537
Default Re: Tampa

imagine my heart thumping!.. Maybe he'll do it at Massey - he KNOWS I'll be there every night for sure!!

http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=18158

After the show last night we (Lori and Donnie) took a picture up to have Gord sign it for you Char. He looked puzzled and then said "Char's not here?" "But I sang that song for her, I'll Tag Along, she reuested it. Char's not here?"
Gord came out the beginning of the second set and played I'll Tag Along -- SOLO, for you Char, he didn't know that you didn't make it.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:30 AM   #15
johnfowles
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: NJ U.S.A.
Posts: 4,846
Send a message via AIM to johnfowles
Default Re: Tampa

from:-
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/newreply.p...reply&p=134850
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
Oh MY!! - but I have mentioned it to him a couple of times!
lol
Who knew he'd take it to heart! ack!
Maybe at Massey he'll do it again...I'll be there for sure!!
He's very sweet and a class act all the way - 100%.
I sure wish I'd have made it to hear it and to spend time with all of you..
Anyone make a set list???..he's sure mixing it up these days..
My family had a great time too and said the theatre was fabulous..as was Gord!
In effect CHar DID request 'I'll Tag Along"
after the previous night's concert in Orlando. I happened to say to Gord
something like
"CHar wants you to do I'll Tag Along again"
And it was a welcome surprise when at Tampa he sauntered out onto the stage accompanied only by his Martin and launched into a simply splendid solo rendition. He did in fact introduce it with an explanation that in the excitement I did not really note,
nor did anybody else that I could find on Saturday at Fort Pierce, but I have a strong feeling that it was along the lines of "this is
a request by CHar"
I'll be back with a few setlists (If I can decipher my handwriting and my one -bun two shoe memory system notes!!
__________________
I meant no one no harm

"Sir" John Fowles Bt
(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet)
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:31 AM   #16
RJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 194
Default Re: Tampa

I see..
In my excitement this morning to post my little review I missed that post; sorry guys..
Char gets Tag Along..
Claudia gets Sit Down Young Stranger (late last year in Duluth)..
The guy likes to please the girls apparently..
Lucky ducklings..

Last edited by RJ; 02-25-2008 at 02:41 PM.
RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:46 AM   #17
podunklander
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Tampa

Nice review RJ thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:31 PM   #18
charlene
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 15,537
Default Re: Tampa

Sir John;
I guess you forgot to mention to Gord that I wasn't actually 'in the house'..
lol
During the radio show in December when I spoke to Gord I also talked with BarryK and he said 'he'd twist the boss's arm to get him to do it"..
lol
I can't remember the last time he did it in concert and if he did it solo..
But that video of him sitting on the Massey stage singing it is priceless..maybe he'll give it another go in May at Massey..
I sure hope so...
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:37 PM   #19
Claudia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 247
Send a message via MSN to Claudia
Default Re: Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ View Post
I see..
In my excitement this morning to post my little review I missed that post; sorry guys..
Char gets Tag Along..
Claudia gets Sit Down Young Stranger (late last year in Duluth)..
The guy likes to please you girls apparently..
Lucky ducklings..


The 'secret' is the bright and charming smile RJ...We girl's practise this for year's, starting at a very early age. It pays....
Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #20
RJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 194
Default Re: Tampa

I gotcha kid..
I see..
RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:01 PM   #21
charlene
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 15,537
Default Re: Tampa

I think I just wore him down..
He said he loved my enthusiasm but maybe it was too much for him..
poor guy..gotta love him tho..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:12 PM   #22
RM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,965
Default Re: Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ View Post
He mentioned (before Trilogy if I recall correctly) that he had to "rewrite some of the song" to find good notes etc.. which in fact he did.. he very creatively put some new melody lines in key places which was really fascinating
I noticed that when I listened to the Massey Hall recording from 2006. He changed the melody line on "Never Too Close". Good thinking.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:20 PM   #23
RJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 194
Default Re: Tampa

re: Never Too Close..

Yes.. "and so we cried"..
it goes down instead of up like on the record..
He played with another line on Never Too Close the other night in Tampa too, which I'd never heard; can't remember which line, but it surprised me; I remember thinking, Hey! Cool!..
He did some subtle changes on some of the others last Thursday too that he didn't do through Duluth last year..
Those of you who see this year's sets, listen for new changes and let us know if ya hear any..

Last edited by RJ; 02-25-2008 at 01:22 PM.
RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:51 PM   #24
Claudia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 247
Send a message via MSN to Claudia
Default Re: Tampa

RJ already did a fabulous review of the Tampa show and I can only whole heartily agree. It was a great evening, Gordon and the guys were obviously in great spirits and had fun.
The new songs brought some much needed fresh air into the show and the audience were very appreciative.
I really think that Gordon quite often underestimates his fans. Obviously most people want to hear the 'big' hits but are sure very open to other, less known, tunes.
"I'll Tag Along" and "Ring Them Bells" were clearly a very special treat and I only wished there would be a way to stop the time running by so fast. It was over way too soon...But in a few weeks I'm going to see them again here in Minnesota and after that: Massey Hall for the Friday & Saturday show!!!

My first time to see Gordon and the guys at Massey and I can't play it cool...I'm truly very excited and am looking very much forward to it.
Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:43 PM   #25
brink-
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,192
Default Re: Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ View Post
Just a couple quickie words about Thursday night's show at the beautiful Tampa Theater..

It was much fun.. Gord had a few trouble spots vocally which he made light of.. He mentioned (before Trilogy if I recall correctly) that he had to "rewrite some of the song" to find good notes etc.. which in fact he did.. he very creatively put some new melody lines in key places which was really fascinating (and a sign of things to come I do believe (i.e.. since we can't just take the capos off and/or transpose the tunes etc., why not rewrite'em! etc.)).. If Children Had Wings was really a cool addition this year, as was My Little Love which had an interesting arrangement with Barry playing only a shaker throughout (no drum on this one; it was quiet and thoughtful and acoustic).. Clouds of Lonliness knocks me out every time.. Oh, and get this, a solo Tag Along opened the 2nd side, very unexpected, very cool, which, though Gord fumbled the guitar phrasing a bit, was really a nice choice.. With a "We'll do the Dylan song" as introduction, Ring Them Bells was outstanding, and felt very moving to me.. As Gord closed out the 2nd set to disappear before the encore he grabbed both hands around his own throat and went, "AAACCCKKKK!!!" and then smiled warmly, acknowledging his vocal troubles.. everyone laughed and it was great fun.. (please folks, no more "Breaking news everybody! His voice isn't what it used to be!" postings etc.. yes.. we know that.. thank you.. he's acknowledged it, we're moving beyond that now.. and going ever onward.. etc.).. Terry clowned around through the entire show.. in fact, all the guys were more animated than any show I've ever seen.. I sense that perhaps the death of B.H. (and of course Gord's own troubles a few years back etc.) changed the chemistry in as much as the guys might feel a little like they're out there now on "borrowed time" if you will.. with nothin much t'lose, etc.. they were very relaxed and having a good time throughout.. I loved it.. I had a great time.. Hopefully it's onto Massey in May for me.. but after what I experienced in Tampa, I'll make every effort to see them again somewhere.. sometime.. I truly hope..
I didn't know you were there, would have been great to meet you. Maybe next time.
brink (minnesota born and raised)
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Video-Sundown at Tampa Theatre imported_Next_Saturday General Discussion 1 02-23-2008 10:37 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
downleft 1x1.gif (807 Byte) downright