banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 12-30-2006, 01:57 PM   #1
rhhodges

I was about here last about a year ago or more - plagued first by computer problems, then other things ... don't know if there's anyone who was here then who still knows me. I've been through a breakdown since then, and have come out the other side now. And still listening ... just about the only thing that's kept me sane. Things are improving now for me, and I wondered whether there was anyone who still remembered me.

I'm still listening, and still in the UK! And still really want to talk to you all ... !!!
rhhodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 01:57 PM   #2
Mair

I was about here last about a year ago or more - plagued first by computer problems, then other things ... don't know if there's anyone who was here then who still knows me. I've been through a breakdown since then, and have come out the other side now. And still listening ... just about the only thing that's kept me sane. Things are improving now for me, and I wondered whether there was anyone who still remembered me.

I'm still listening, and still in the UK! And still really want to talk to you all ... !!!
Mair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 06:44 PM   #3
patybear

Welcome Back!I'm patybear.I was reading through some of the old post,and saw your name.As far as I'm concerned a Lightfoot fan is a friend forever.
Nice to have you back!
patybear
patybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 08:59 AM   #4
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Welcome back Mair,

Glad to hear you're on the upswing. Here's hoping that 2007 will be a good year for you. I'm sure there's more than a few of us that remember you.

Peace,

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:28 AM   #5
Auburn Annie

I certainly remember you Mair, especially how you came to discover Gord, through friends, and rediscover his works, and us, through the internet. Glad to have you back and I hope 2007 is an even better year for us all.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:28 AM   #6
Auburn Annie

I certainly remember you Mair, especially how you came to discover Gord, through friends, and rediscover his works, and us, through the internet. Glad to have you back and I hope 2007 is an even better year for us all.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:02 PM   #7
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Mair:

and I wondered whether there was anyone who still remembered me.

As soon as I saw "Mair" I said to myself Aha "Welsh Wales"!!
I noted from your profle however that your declared "home page" was:-
http://www.gofannon.co.uk/
but it now seems to be an ex-site (how exciting!!)
but several copies of it are archived at for example:-
http://web.archive.org/web/200408122...ofannon.co.uk/
not that visiting that page will do anybody much good as it is writted in either Double Dutch or possibly triple Welsh

"Ysbryd Y Lle Hwn
gan
Mair Evans
However I was pleased to read:-
"Roedd gormod o ofn arni i weiddi am help"
and finally
"Helpwch fi - plis! - unrhywun - helpwch fi! - Helpwch fi!”
John
(descendant of an old Welsh Williams family)
To be strictly fair Mair's fair page is headed in the vernacular
"A new novel for people learning Welsh

Includes an MP3 CD of the entire novel"

I well remember visiting the RAF base near to Cardiff known as "St Athan" to the English and had a genuine chuckle when I noted that on the brick walls either side of the gate was writted
the base name in English on one side as "St Athan" but on the other side a presumed exact Welsh translation "S Tathan".

Maimntenance on an RAF Tornado there
I believe the base is now closed or going to be so this prime example may be there no longer

[ December 31, 2006, 12:21: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:02 PM   #8
johnfowles

Quote:

and I wondered whether there was anyone who still remembered me.

As soon as I saw "Mair" I said to myself Aha "Welsh Wales"!!
I noted from your profle however that your declared "home page" was:-
http://www.gofannon.co.uk/
but it now seems to be an ex-site (how exciting!!)
but several copies of it are archived at for example:-
http://web.archive.org/web/200408122...ofannon.co.uk/
not that visiting that page will do anybody much good as it is writted in either Double Dutch or possibly triple Welsh

"Ysbryd Y Lle Hwn
gan
Mair Evans
However I was pleased to read:-
"Roedd gormod o ofn arni i weiddi am help"
and finally
"Helpwch fi - plis! - unrhywun - helpwch fi! - Helpwch fi!”
John
(descendant of an old Welsh Williams family)
To be strictly fair Mair's fair page is headed in the vernacular
"A new novel for people learning Welsh

Includes an MP3 CD of the entire novel"

I well remember visiting the RAF base near to Cardiff known as "St Athan" to the English and had a genuine chuckle when I noted that on the brick walls either side of the gate was writted
the base name in English on one side as "St Athan" but on the other side a presumed exact Welsh translation "S Tathan".

Maimntenance on an RAF Tornado there
I believe the base is now closed or going to be so this prime example may be there no longer

[ December 31, 2006, 12:21: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 12-31-2006, 02:09 PM   #9
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

I think so I remember you from a couple of years back. Welcome back to the forum.
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 02:29 PM   #10
Mair

Thank you so much everyone! This is wonderful! I know 2007 will be good for me! Things have been difficult for me for quite a while, but I'm getting it back together now, and I so remembered how wonderful it was here, and how at home I felt. This has always been a very warm and welcoming place for me. I don't think anyone who loves and lives with Gord's music can be anything but warm and supportive. How can you live with and love those lyrics and be anything but? Believe me, I've visited and read so many forums for musicians/bands (for research purposes) and this place is such a unique exception! There is nothing like it! And I'm only here by the skin of my teeth really - a Lightfoot fan this side of the Atlantic?!? When we're lucky to hear IYCRMM once in a year on any radio station? But that's never held me back - even though the most up to date CD you can buy here is - you guessed it ... (but there are ways ...!) My earliest memories of listening to Gord are in my best friend of the time's bedroom, when we were fourteen or so years old. If you want to know what happened to me after that, it's all down here somewhere ...! As I said, things have been improving for me - I had some time off work, but now I'm back, and I'm picking up so many things again - and last night I did something I've been thinking of doing for so long, but was so nervous about doing - posting here again. I'm so glad I did it now! Thank you so much everyone!

Yes, John, Welsh Wales! (and I remember reading something similar from you before!) Well, Swansea, where I live, isn't that Welsh (as in language) really, but I am! I grew up with Welsh and English as joint first languages. I'm a (part time) novelist (day job is teaching - which I also love). I write novels in Welsh, some for people who are learning Welsh as a second language (sorry - haven't quite mastered triple Welsh yet ... !!!) We are having a few problems with the ISP at the moment, as far as the web site's concerned, but are hoping to have it back up there soon (it's all fully bilingual - English and Welsh - by the way!!!) - the MP3 of the novel is not on the website, but you get the entire novel on a CD in MP3 format if you buy the book - read by a professional actress and one of my personal friends - Gwyneth Glyn - who's also a musician and writes and sings wonderful folk/country songs!

And John - do you know why the Welsh is S Tathan and the English is St Athan? It's all perfectly correct!
Old 01-02-2007, 10:40 AM   #11
Gitchigumee

Hello Mair!

I would not remember you, as I just joined in September, but have been fairly active since then. I know how you feel, when you say you were nervous about posting. I sometimes feel that I am not "one of the gang," because I'm so new, and I'm not a musician, much of what is discussed is lost on me, and oftentimes I don't get any responses. However, I am confidant that I am as big a Lightfoot fan as anyone can claim to be, and I am persistent. I have not yet come down from my Lighfoot "high" since attending my first GL concert in Sept., as someone suggested might happen, and so I hope that time will prove that I'm the real thing.

You're right, whenever two or more Lightfoot fans come together, there are endless possibilities for warm, humorous, and meaningful conversations.

Anyway, I too welcome you "back." Far as I'm concerned, the more the merrier!
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:44 AM   #12
johnfowles

Quote:

And John - do you know why the Welsh is S Tathan and the English is St Athan? It's all perfectly correct!
Ok it may well be perfectly correct BUT...

Mair No I do not know and I have wondered ever since I saw that entrance many moons ago,so prompted by your question I have googled, starting with "Saint Wales" where I found:-
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/GLA...laceNames.html
this covered the county of Glamorgan but I was unsure which county St Athan is in only that it is near Cardiff.I then found that
"The city of Cardiff is the county town of Glamorgan, although this role has diminished since council reorganisation in 1974 paired Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan together as the new county of South Glamorgan."
I then realised that all along
shows a convenient list of Glamorgan place names in both straight English and your triple Welsh and I noted:-
Sain Dunwyd St. Donat's St. Donats
Sain Ffagan St. Fagans St. Fagans
Sain Nicolas St. Nicholas Llanmaes
Sain Siorys St. George-super-Ely
St. George Super Ely
AND FINALLY
Sain Tathan St. Athan St. Athan
where the end names were in fact hyperlinks. The St Athan link then took me to
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/GLA/StAthan/

where I was most interested to read
"St Athan
"ATHAN, ST., in the Cwmwd of Maenor Glynn Ogwr, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Ogmore), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Rectory, valued in the King's Books at £15..9..7: Patron, Robert Jones, Esq.: Church dedicated to St. Athanasius. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 264. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £125..17..1, at 1s..8d. in the pound. It is 6 1/2 m. S. from Cowbridge. This Parish contains 1300 Acres of cultivated Land. In this Parish are the ruins of East Orchard, one of the twelve Norman Castles, and the Site of West Orchard, another Castle of later date: As well as the Port of West Aber Ddaw, so much noted for the superiority of its Lime. "
From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811."
So yes as I suspected all these years as the Welsh for saint does not end in a "t"
then the Welsh abbreviation is a plain "S"
none of this however reveals why the virtuous Saint 's name was presumably changed from "Athan" to "Tathan" so just maybe it was some tired hapless and/or confused bilingual monk's typo yonks ago??
He also aparently shortened it from
St. Athanasius
Now is all this intriguing or what???
so endeth today's religion,history,geography and spelling lessons, boys and girls

[ January 02, 2007, 11:09: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 01-02-2007, 11:44 AM   #13
johnfowles

Quote:

Ok it may well be perfectly correct BUT...

Mair No I do not know and I have wondered ever since I saw that entrance many moons ago,so prompted by your question I have googled, starting with "Saint Wales" where I found:-
this covered the county of Glamorgan but I was unsure which county St Athan is in only that it is near Cardiff.I then found that
"The city of Cardiff is the county town of Glamorgan, although this role has diminished since council reorganisation in 1974 paired Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan together as the new county of South Glamorgan."
I then realised that all along
shows a convenient list of Glamorgan place names in both straight English and your triple Welsh and I noted:-
Sain Dunwyd St. Donat's St. Donats
Sain Ffagan St. Fagans St. Fagans
Sain Nicolas St. Nicholas Llanmaes
Sain Siorys St. George-super-Ely
St. George Super Ely
AND FINALLY
Sain Tathan St. Athan St. Athan
where the end names were in fact hyperlinks. The St Athan link then took me to
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/GLA/StAthan/

where I was most interested to read
"St Athan
"ATHAN, ST., in the Cwmwd of Maenor Glynn Ogwr, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Ogmore), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Rectory, valued in the King's Books at £15..9..7: Patron, Robert Jones, Esq.: Church dedicated to St. Athanasius. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 264. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £125..17..1, at 1s..8d. in the pound. It is 6 1/2 m. S. from Cowbridge. This Parish contains 1300 Acres of cultivated Land. In this Parish are the ruins of East Orchard, one of the twelve Norman Castles, and the Site of West Orchard, another Castle of later date: As well as the Port of West Aber Ddaw, so much noted for the superiority of its Lime. "
From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811."
So yes as I suspected all these years as the Welsh for saint does not end in a "t"
then the Welsh abbreviation is a plain "S"
none of this however reveals why the virtuous Saint 's name was presumably changed from "Athan" to "Tathan" so just maybe it was some tired hapless and/or confused bilingual monk's typo yonks ago??
He also aparently shortened it from
St. Athanasius
Now is all this intriguing or what???
so endeth today's religion,history,geography and spelling lessons, boys and girls

[ January 02, 2007, 11:09: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 01-02-2007, 12:07 PM   #14
johnfowles

Being in a googling mood I also checked your friend Gwyneth Glyn.

and found her on the dreaded myspace at:-
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=79987495
where she is described as being for
"Country folk for country folk and folk that ain't"

I could not readily find you amongst her 352 friends however I found what may be one of your books

and finally (for now)_ when I picked an archived copy of your website I chose an early 2004 copy
The latest from February last year (yes it is now 2007)
is at:-
http://web.archive.org/web/200601140...ofannon.co.uk/
and is indeed fully bilingual
JOhn
Myspace is "dreaded" because for some reason I often have been the target of a lonesome damsel who wants to get to know me because I am "hot"!!!

[ January 02, 2007, 11:15: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 01-02-2007, 12:07 PM   #15
johnfowles

Being in a googling mood I also checked your friend Gwyneth Glyn.

and found her on the dreaded myspace at:-
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=79987495
where she is described as being for
"Country folk for country folk and folk that ain't"

I could not readily find you amongst her 352 friends however I found what may be one of your books

and finally (for now)_ when I picked an archived copy of your website I chose an early 2004 copy
The latest from February last year (yes it is now 2007)
is at:-
http://web.archive.org/web/200601140...ofannon.co.uk/
and is indeed fully bilingual
JOhn
Myspace is "dreaded" because for some reason I often have been the target of a lonesome damsel who wants to get to know me because I am "hot"!!!

[ January 02, 2007, 11:15: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 01-04-2007, 02:47 PM   #16
Mair

Gitchigumee - I was new once, and felt so nervous - and not part of any gang (and not part of any one now, and neither do I want to be - but I was made welcome very quickly - and I hope I will still be now. No, I'm not a musician either (far from it!) - but we don't have to be, do we? And you are so up on me - I've never been to a Lightfoot concert - a lifelong fan (14 years old to 44!), but never been there live! I may never now - but who knows? Well - am I the "real thing"? I feel so much "the real thing", well, if I am not, then who is?!? If this music is part of your everyday life, then - aren't you the "real thing" - ?!? Thank you so much for your response - it's so wonderful to hear from someone who listens to this music everyday also!!!

And John - I haven't looked up your links, but "Sant" (and sometimes "Sain") is Welsh for "saint" - and the saint was "Tathan" - and Sant Athan is a corruption of Sain Tathan - but that happens so often here.

Yes - you have found one of my books! Thank you!

And Gwyneth is wonderful - I play music when I write, and she is one of my must-have artists. I must have music as I write - and
music is so important to me - I must have music while I write - and what's playing most of the time ? ... Gwyneth, yes - and Gord ... always ...
Old 01-04-2007, 05:35 PM   #17
johnfowles

Quote:
a lifelong fan (14 years old to 44!), but never been there live! I may never now - but who knows?
And John - I haven't looked up your links, but "Sant" (and sometimes "Sain") is Welsh for "saint" - and the saint was "Tathan" - and Sant Athan is a corruption of Sain Tathan - but that happens so often here.
I may be wrong Mair but I thought you were inveigled to post here by another UK fan possibly the missing Gaby? but I see no evidence in your list of posts. perhaps it was somebody else from that Welsh place.
Now 30 years ago means you obviously presumably and unfortunately did not know about and missed Gord's last UK tour in 1981 (I luckily found out about and went to the May 18 concert in London but he was in Birmingham the following night easily said with hindsight and the internet!!!). It now seems highly unlikely that Gord will ever play the UK again, so you will have to do what myself, Bruna/silverheels,Jim Nasium, Alan (Paynter passing through) and Paul have done; save your Welsh gold and get over here there should be s full representation from the UK for the next Massey Hall season likely in May 2008
the feeling of being among so many like minded people en masse en Massey is truly incredible. so make it a firm resolution.I promise to try to remember to badger you from later this year onwards as well as tying to get some recalcitrant Aussie fans like catmanron off the pot.
Oh dear there I was blaiming some Welsh monk for corrupting the town name and it now appears it was an English one who got confused in the translation. sorry
John

[ January 04, 2007, 16:45: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 01-04-2007, 05:35 PM   #18
johnfowles

Quote:
a lifelong fan (14 years old to 44!), but never been there live! I may never now - but who knows?
I may be wrong Mair but I thought you were inveigled to post here by another UK fan possibly the missing Gaby? but I see no evidence in your list of posts. perhaps it was somebody else from that Welsh place.
Now 30 years ago means you obviously presumably and unfortunately did not know about and missed Gord's last UK tour in 1981 (I luckily found out about and went to the May 18 concert in London but he was in Birmingham the following night easily said with hindsight and the internet!!!). It now seems highly unlikely that Gord will ever play the UK again, so you will have to do what myself, Bruna/silverheels,Jim Nasium, Alan (Paynter passing through) and Paul have done; save your Welsh gold and get over here there should be s full representation from the UK for the next Massey Hall season likely in May 2008
the feeling of being among so many like minded people en masse en Massey is truly incredible. so make it a firm resolution.I promise to try to remember to badger you from later this year onwards as well as tying to get some recalcitrant Aussie fans like catmanron off the pot.
Oh dear there I was blaiming some Welsh monk for corrupting the town name and it now appears it was an English one who got confused in the translation. sorry
John

[ January 04, 2007, 16:45: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 01-04-2007, 05:56 PM   #19
Gitchigumee

Mair, what a nice response. Thank you. What a great way to end my workday! Guess you know what I'll be playing in the car on the way home!

Goodnight!
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:12 PM   #20
Jesse Joe

I wasn't around here in 2004 Mair. But all the best to you. Keep posting, you sound like a fine person. ~Jesse~
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:12 PM   #21
Jesse Joe

I wasn't around here in 2004 Mair. But all the best to you. Keep posting, you sound like a fine person. ~Jesse~
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote