banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 03-02-2004, 01:40 PM   #1
GJC

Good afternoon. I am a long-time follower of this site, posting today for the first time. A friend has alerted me to the posting of three songs from the Harmony CD ("River of Light," "Flyin' Blind," and "Inspiration")on Apple's iTunes music store. I'm a bit technology-challenged, but you apparently need to download the iTunes software (free) in order to access the three songs. You can then listen to 30-second segments of each, or for 99 cents each purchase and download them. He played them for me, and not surprisingly they were most fine. Hopefully the actual CD will be issued soon.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:40 PM   #2
GJC

Good afternoon. I am a long-time follower of this site, posting today for the first time. A friend has alerted me to the posting of three songs from the Harmony CD ("River of Light," "Flyin' Blind," and "Inspiration")on Apple's iTunes music store. I'm a bit technology-challenged, but you apparently need to download the iTunes software (free) in order to access the three songs. You can then listen to 30-second segments of each, or for 99 cents each purchase and download them. He played them for me, and not surprisingly they were most fine. Hopefully the actual CD will be issued soon.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:17 PM   #3
Auburn Annie

The official release date is May 11 2004 (and the third song is "Inspiration Lady").
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 02:17 PM   #4
Auburn Annie

The official release date is May 11 2004 (and the third song is "Inspiration Lady").
Old 03-02-2004, 02:41 PM   #5
SomewhereupinMichigan

FANTASTIC!!! For those who may not have Itunes or a broadband connection for downloading...the three tracks on the preview EP are very, very good! Whets my appetite for the full CD in May!! Thanks To GJC for the head's up on the availability through iTunes.

River of Light is a poignant little tribute to Gord's fondness for canoeing and, given his health problems, there are some lyrics that will "moisten your eyes" (to use DMD's terminology).

Flyin' Blind tells the story of Jessie Joe's advice not to go "to the place with the snow and the ice." I need ya now, Jessie Joe, cause I'm flyin' blind tonight.

Inspiration Lady is, as you might expect, another of Gord's great love ballads; a musical tribute to Elizabeth? Most likely. "She's my Inspiration Lady. Inspiration everywhere. She's my situation every day."

All three tunes are solid and Gord's voice is stronger on at least two of the three than on any of the tracks on WFY or APPT.
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 04:14 PM   #6
Camsmith

Excellant! They downloaded flawlessly and I can hardly wait for the full cd.

Thanks for posting this.

Everyone, go there quick!
Kimberly
Camsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 04:14 PM   #7
Kimberly

Excellant! They downloaded flawlessly and I can hardly wait for the full cd.

Thanks for posting this.

Everyone, go there quick!
Kimberly
Kimberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 04:18 PM   #8
2Much2Lose

WOW. I can't thank you enough for posting this! I believe itunes pays the licensing fees and such, so we shouldn't be ruffling any feathers by downloading these.

I have to say, just from the quality of these three songs, I can't wait to hear the rest. This is fabulous!
Jenney

PS. Gord is continuing to do well.
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 04:18 PM   #9
Jenney

WOW. I can't thank you enough for posting this! I believe itunes pays the licensing fees and such, so we shouldn't be ruffling any feathers by downloading these.

I have to say, just from the quality of these three songs, I can't wait to hear the rest. This is fabulous!
Jenney

Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 04:31 PM   #10
SomewhereupinMichigan

Yes, iTunes is a "legitimate" online music download source. There is nothing considered illegal about downloading music and/or books from their site.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:38 PM   #11
Auburn Annie

quote:Originally posted by Jenney:

Glad to hear it.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:38 PM   #12
Auburn Annie

Glad to hear it.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:13 PM   #13
TheWatchman

What is the web address to download them?
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 05:16 PM   #14
2Much2Lose

quote:Originally posted by TheWatchman:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/overview.html

You have to register with a credit card then do a search for Gordon Lightfoot, then look for Harmony.
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 05:16 PM   #15
Jenney

quote:Originally posted by TheWatchman:

You have to register with a credit card then do a search for Gordon Lightfoot, then look for Harmony.
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 05:47 PM   #16
TheWatchman

Thanks Jenney.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 06:07 PM   #17
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by TheWatchman:

This is probably old news to some of you but I suspect that if you think the file you download is as ubiquitous as an mp3 they probably saw you coming the file format is actually m4p which an initial cursory look at google search results is apparently a file format carefully designed to limit its playabily to whomsoever paid for and downloaded it. I think I read corectly that each file has the payee's i-tunes account details embedded in it. But as the person who alerted me to this surprise preview said it is worth 100 times the 3 bucks it cost her.

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 06:07 PM   #18
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by TheWatchman:

This is probably old news to some of you but I suspect that if you think the file you download is as ubiquitous as an mp3 they probably saw you coming the file format is actually m4p which an initial cursory look at google search results is apparently a file format carefully designed to limit its playabily to whomsoever paid for and downloaded it. I think I read corectly that each file has the payee's i-tunes account details embedded in it. But as the person who alerted me to this surprise preview said it is worth 100 times the 3 bucks it cost her.

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 07:29 PM   #19
SomewhereupinMichigan

quote:Originally posted by johnfowles:

I have an iTunes account but had not thought to look for Gord's new material on it. It actually has been available there since Feb. 17th. However, if you register and have a valid iTunes account, and a cd burner on your computer, you can burn an audio cd with the tunes you download from iTunes...and you can burn them as many times as you choose. Once you have paid your .99 a tune, or roughly $10 per cd, you can do anything with it you please, just as when you buy a cd in a music shop and then burn your own copies for your use. I generally have multiple copies of much of my music. One for home, one for the office, one for the summer cottage, one for my car, one for my wife's car, etc. The iTunes format does not preclude burning multiple copies of what you've paid for.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:41 PM   #20
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

I was able to register and was not asked a cc # at all. You have to do some fancy left and right clicking with the mouse to bring up the 30 seconds of music.
He sounds more fragile than the Painter sessions, but again, he sounds like no one else. The 3 songs I heard sound complex and a bit like the Waiting for You sessions. Just what I was hoping for. Does Gord have full producer credit on this album...does anyone know?
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 07:41 PM   #21
Rob1956

I was able to register and was not asked a cc # at all. You have to do some fancy left and right clicking with the mouse to bring up the 30 seconds of music.
He sounds more fragile than the Painter sessions, but again, he sounds like no one else. The 3 songs I heard sound complex and a bit like the Waiting for You sessions. Just what I was hoping for. Does Gord have full producer credit on this album...does anyone know?
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 08:06 PM   #22
SomewhereupinMichigan

quote:Originally posted by Rob1956:

Correct Rob. Anyone can register and download the iTunes software for free. However, if you wish to then download full tunes, rather than the freebie :30 excerpts, you will need to provide a credit card and pay for the downloads.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:56 PM   #23
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

ok, I get it now. I can wait till May, been waiting since May 12, 1998 anyhow!
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 08:56 PM   #24
Rob1956

ok, I get it now. I can wait till May, been waiting since May 12, 1998 anyhow!
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:13 PM   #25
Minstrel Man

Can you believe it? Canadians cannot use itunes. You may only download the songs if you are in the United States, so it says. Are there any other ways to hear these previews? Does anyone know?
Minstrel Man is offline   Reply With Quote