banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
charlene

Default Feb.4,2010-Lightfoot concert in Toronto and March shows in Nashville-Memphis TN

http://www.songkick.com/concerts/380...source=skemail

George Weston Recital Hall
- Feb.4/2010

George Weston Recital Hall at the Toronto Centre for the Arts
5040 Yonge Street
M2N 6R8
Toronto, ON, Canada

"If You Could Read My Mind"-Gordon Lightfoot 8pm
February 04, 2010
8:00 PM
Recital Hall

http://www.tocentre.com/index.cfm?ap...endar&id=15129
The Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame presents:
“If You Could Read My Mind”
February 4, 2010
George Weston Recital Hall

Gordon Lightfoot is a featured guest in the first of a new six part series presented by The Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame. “If You Could Read My Mind” brings together great Canadian songwriters in an intimate, humorous, spirited exploration of the source of songwriting and the impact of songs on our culture.

Few people, even Canadians, are aware of the depth of Canada's rich musical heritage and the enormous impact our country's songwriters have had on contemporary music around the world. Our songwriters have penned hits for Rod Stewart, Frank Sinatra, The Rolling Stones, Gene Autry, Céline Dion, Barbara Streisand, Bob Dylan, Madonna, Bing Crosby, Jacques Brel, The Counting Crows, Louis Armstrong and André Gagnon, to name but a few. The revelation of this news is always a source of great pride for Canadians and a cause for admiration internationally.

Through conversation and music “If You Could Read My Mind” contemplates the continuation of the lyric, ‘what a tale my thoughts could tell’ and will dig deep to unearth why Canada is such a hot bed for songwriting talent.

Hosted by Laurie Brown, the series will also feature performances from new and emerging Canadian songwriters.

www.cansong.ca
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
Bill

Default Re: Feb.4,2010-Lightfoot concert in Toronto

This sounds fantastic! The intimate setting he needs. The Country Music Hall of Fame has a similar thing...in a small in-house theater at the museum in Nashville. Saw online a while back video of Kris Kristofferson solo there as artist in residence. Maybe that'll happen for the Lightfoot gig? We can hope!
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
charlene

got my tix..2nd row-centre seats..
yay!
Old 12-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
charlene

word is that he's going to be at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville on March 6, 2010.
Hoping to verify soon...
I'd like to see that too!
Old 12-18-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
charlene

Default Re: Feb.4,2010-Lightfoot concert in Toronto and March shows in Nashville-Memphis TN

March 3-Winston-Salem, NC
Stevens Center

March 4 -Spartanburg, SC
Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium

March 6 - Nashville, TN
Ryman Auditorium

March 7 - Memphis, TN
Orpheum Theatre

March 9 -Savannah, GA
Mercer Theatre
Old 12-18-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
Jesse Joe

Default Re: Feb.4,2010-Lightfoot concert in Toronto and March shows in Nashville-Memphis TN

March 6, 2010... is a saturday night, could he be on the Grand Ole Opry ? Opry live ??? This would really be something to see. Maybe his long time friend George Hamilton IV would introduce him, as he oftens MC's the show.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #7
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
This sounds fantastic! The intimate setting he needs
hi bill...intimate compared to air canada centre, lol...but still over 1,000 people and smaller than Massey but the stage is a bit colder however the acoustics are top notch so i hope Gord's usual sound man (the one who controls the volume!) is not allowed in the joint, lol....their Studio theatre is intimate

will have to wait to hear who the young/upcoming artist lineup is...also looking forward to the inductee list of writers and songs that will be going into the Hall for the March event but the press release won't be til next month

i (and others in my circle) find the fact that we have no actual Music Hall of Fame a bit of a gaff....Hamilton bid years ago and would have had the thing built by now and stocked with wonderful items and packed with tourists and locals daily by now...instead Toronto got awarded this and announced back in May 2007 that it would be built soon and at Dundas Square....did any of the Massey or Imperial Pub attendees notice it last month? lol, nope, it doesn't exist...this was a topic at a music industry forum a few weeks back and even after i contacted CARAS directly there was no further info

as for the Songwriters Hall, there is that Virtual Hall online you can have a bit of fun with but many of the videos have said 'coming soon' for a loooong time...from the many arrangements/covers that are performed each year there are few i think do justice to the songs (much of it is poor live mixing, imo) but it's a nice, polite celebration just like the Gov Gen Awards and Walk of Fame

i find it odd that non-songwriter, Anne Murray is a recipient of their top honour but I do suppose she has helped bring recognition to many writers by covering so many tunes over the years and unlike Gord, has huge international acclaim

how can Gord only have one song in the Hall? no Trilogy? i though this was heralded as the greatest tune ever written about this country....and no Early Morning Rain? no For Lovin' Me? ...the list of oversights goes one ...maybe they're waiting to posthumously induct a cluster of 50 all at once

meanwhile, you will find Sugar Sugar ('I just can't believe the lovliness of loving you' lol) and Sweet City Woman ('she feeds me love and tenderness and macaroons' agh) and other real 'gems' in there...kiddin, they of course, both have infectious hooks...I guess a tune has to make it big in America before it can be nominated....that's what makes it this institution so Canadian i suppose, lol

the Ryman venue is wonderful, are you really going, char? maybe you're referring to to Toronto Centre gig

aside, bill, i almost caved and bought the now discounted Rockband for jr (all his friends bug him cos he has no videogames)...are the kids still getting mileage out of it?

Last edited by jj; 12-19-2009 at 12:05 PM.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:09 PM   #8
charlene

I'm going to the Weston Recital hall show - I wish I could get to the Ryman tho!
wowza..that would be something!

There's a Future Shop and AMC theatres where the Songwriter's Hall of Fame was supposed to be..I guess we have to look for "Lightfoot" in the adult pop section and pretend we're in the Hall of Fame..
Old 12-19-2009, 05:47 PM   #9
Rainbow Trout

The Ryman is downtown Nashville, the Grand Ole Opry is at the Opry auditorium where the old Opryland theme park used to be.
Rainbow Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #10
T.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
i hope Gord's usual sound man (the one who controls the volume!) is not allowed in the joint, lol
I'll echo that sentiment for sure! I hope we'll finally be able to hear Gord's performance.
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:43 PM   #11
Bill

Nashville is long haul for us 9 - 11 hours (with kids in tow)...I grew up a hour away on Ky border. WInston-Salem is about 2 1/2 hours away. Always wanted to go to the Ryman...bought several guitars around the corner at Gruhn's. My parents saw Hank William's Opry debut in the 50s at the Ryman. I understand it is really great since refurbish.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:00 PM   #12
charlene

Lightfoot and Tragically Hip's Gord Downie will both perform and be in conversation at the George Weston Recital Hall. The idea is to bring together great Canadian songwriters to explore the source of songwriting and the impact of songs on our culture. Emerging songwriter Catherine MacLellan will also be featured.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:12 PM   #13
podunklander

That will surely be phenomenal -I've enjoyed PBS "Legends and Lyrics" and hope there will be a live recording @the Recital Hall .
Old 12-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #14
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
Emerging songwriter Catherine MacLellan will also be featured.
check out her Canada Live concert at CBC2 website, she's pretty seasoned...i don't know how she managed motherhood (now divorced for fellow PEI songwriter) and touring

i could listen to her talk about her late dad for a few hours - everyone knows Songbird and Put your Hand in the Hand but my fave Gene tune was Biding My Time

“I grew up watching him (Gene) write songs in the living room with pen and paper or with a guitar on his lap. I am really proud to be his daughter and to be able to follow a little in his footsteps.”

“because I’m not at the total beginner stage, now when I have a moment by myself with a guitar at home or in a hotel room, it is almost immediate. My subconscious knows I don’t have that much time to work on it and it just falls into place .I’ll pick up the guitar, start strumming a bit and the melody and chord progression will start coming out with some words. The melody will be an expression of the emotions I’m feeling.”

btw, you can find interesting Downie QTV interview online (it's been posted here before, he and GL have much in common)
Old 12-22-2009, 04:23 PM   #15
charlene

I LOVED "Biding My Time" too!
Gene really was a great songwriter..I'd read about Catherine a while back but it didn't jog my memory this time. Can't wait till Feb. 4th.
c'mon out for the show JJ - we never got much time together at Massey..
Old 12-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #16
jj

"much time" lol...yeah, a total of 18 (10+8) seconds as i recall

umm, i don't know how you pull off these gigs and travels...any Thrs night is a toughie...there's lotsa tickets though

at first i thought it was Melissa Maclellan(d) who took home all the hardware at the Hamilton Music Awards last month...there is certainly no shortage of budding and/or seasoned female singer songwriters, 'eh'

Last edited by jj; 12-22-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:43 PM   #17
charlene

I have one vice in life - Lightfoot. Monies don't go to the usual vices, daycare families understand my 'thing' about Lightfoot so all is well. Lisa enjoys her "Lightfoot" times so that is good but I'd be attending regardless.
Within reason I will do what I can to attend Lightfoot events because we just don't know when it will all end.
So - make plans - I'll see ya there!

18 seconds of hugging is guaranteed!
Old 12-22-2009, 04:50 PM   #18
jj

Quote:
18 seconds
will see if i can pull it off...note: i don't have Tiger's stamina, lol

"GL addiction" is the type of vice that'll get you into Heaven
Old 12-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #19
jj

Quote:
daycare families understand my 'thing' about Lightfoot so all is well
cool, but would the daycare 'workers' here be as understanding if i pull in at, say, 11pm? lol
Old 12-22-2009, 05:11 PM   #20
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
cool, but would the daycare 'workers' here be as understanding if i pull in at, say, 11pm? lol
lol - I doubt it!
Old 12-25-2009, 11:48 PM   #21
AndyC

Very excited to read of the Nashville show at the Ryman March 6. Not yet listed on the Ryman website, though. I will try to monitor when tickets go on sale, but please post here if I miss it (a definite possibility, lol). Cheers!
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:18 PM   #22
AndyC

Tickets for Nashville, Mar. 6, 2010 on sale to the general public at 10:00 am Sat. Jan. 16. Have not found any info. re: any presale opportunities.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote