banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #26
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles
Default Re: how did Gord break his hand back in 1970?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
According to a tiny snippet in August, 1970 Billboard - the hand was the result of an ill-fated Karate Chop. side of the hand where one would expect a Karate type injury to be.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=kikE...AND%22&f=false
Well that sure is some awesome software that Google Books is using!!
On the face of it by simply searching for "Lightfoot broken hand" it scanned the text of at least the one relevant issue of Billboard and found Moose's snippet of text then highlighted it
I initially had trouble finding it so for anybody else so challenged here is a screenshot of the snippet
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:46 AM   #27
jj

goodluck with the Rea page, Valerie....I know quite little of him

lovely son, Darin...i was gonna test taking my 6 yr old to Massey last year but thought he might start clapping along to every tune (and it's already bothersome enough when char does that!)... glad he met and sang to the man

the GL outburst could have also been catalyzed by drugs (and/or women, lol)

char, thanks for posting that GL pic...some other dandies from that year when it was in Caledon ...one of my faves:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	httppilibraryyorkucadspacebitstreamhandle103153466asc05628_80ccbc98b7.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	3517  
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #28
charlene

Chat of July 10,2012 - I asked him about the cast on his hand back in 1970 @ Mariposa and he said, “it just occurred in accident.” I said it must have been worrisome for him to have a broken hand and he answered, “well it got better.” Lol
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread...highlight=chat
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #29
Rob1956

I remember a couple of times that Gord got upset about something and had a violent reaction.
There was a story about Gord putting his hand through a wall backstage at some point. If it was 1970 or not, I don't recall. Around 1972, well known producer Ken Erlich was based in Chicago and was running WTTW, Channel 11's "Made In Chicago" series of televised concerts.
Gord headlined one of those shows. Later, Ken sat in on an FM talk show and fielded a number of calls about the series. During the show, Ken said that during the taping, Gord was unhappy about something and took his guitar and broke every single light bulb on one of those makeup mirrors we always see that have bulbs all around the periphery of the mirror. The cast, well, when you make your living using your hands (guitar), I'm surprised he would be so careless. But, most of us don't know what it's like to be a musician, and maybe it's easy to forget to protect your assets.
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #30
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1956 View Post
...Ken sat in on an FM talk show and fielded a number of calls about the series. During the show, Ken said that during the taping, Gord was unhappy about something and took his guitar and broke every single light bulb on one of those makeup mirrors we always see that have bulbs all around the periphery of the mirror.

never heard that one before... that would make for a good action scene in a Gord bio film (movie producers salivate over that kind of testosterone outburst stuff)
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:26 AM   #31
Sydney Steve

Fortunately I was wearing my brown trousers and thus the stains were camouflaged when I first read this thread name outside on the main screen which alarmingly reads " how did Gord break his hand " , ( cutting off the relieving descriptor "....in 1970..." because of lack of space.
I thought my worst nightmares had been realised.

Put that bloke in cotton wool until Nov 18 at least !
Old 10-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #32
Dave, Melbourne,Australia

Sydney Steve,

You're bringing back memories of how I felt before flying over to my only Lightfoot concert in 2008. Paranoia about something happening to Gord or to you. Stock up on that cotton wool!
Dave, Melbourne,Australia is offline   Reply With Quote