banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 06-19-2006, 10:53 PM   #1
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Today Jun 19th I received from the UK my June 15-22 subscription copy of a most splendid internet magazine Web User and read about the growing coverage in the UK of the newish and very interesting (to me at least) Windows Local Live aerial picture service, that I used to make great screenshots of the Statue Of Liberty the Empire State Building

Sightseers on the Empire state Building
and New York's Intrepid Naval Museum/Concorde.
(the latter I have already displayed in
Topic: A Brush with the Famous
at:-
http://www.corfid.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ul...2;t=000938;p=2
I have just googled and the article I read is now on-line at:-
http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/85516.html
where you can read that:-
"Microsoft has launched a UK version of its online mapping service Local Live which lets web users view cities from a 45-degree bird-eyes view.

The stunning-looking service currently only covers 230 square miles of London, and Portsmouth, Southampton and Cambridge, but this will soon be expanded, Microsoft says, so that within the two years Windows Live Local will have bird's eye imagery for 80 per cent of Europe's population.

The feature also lets users choose to look from North, South, East and West, and is detailed enough to see what types of car are parked outside peoples' houses."
there was a link to:-
http://www.local.live.com
Now after getting good clear screenshots of our house some New Jersey landmarks and New York's JFK airport

JFK airport the Delta Airlines terminal
I decided to investigate further
I had previously tried unsuccessfully to get oblique views of 2 London landmarks
Buck House and the Royal Albert Hall

The Royal Albert Hall and The Albert Memorial
and could only get maps or good quality aerial views
I really cannot imagine therefore what on earth (to coin a phrase) the 230 square miles of London covers if those 2 major landmarks are not viewable as bird's eye views.
Even Tower Bridge London could only elicit a grudging Tower of London and as before only an aerial view or a map

Tower Bridge is at the bottom
OK I thought how's about the claimed other UK areas?
I decided that one of the most famous landmarks in Portsmouth is Nelson's Trafalgar flagship HMS Victory
and put in a search for her.
I was singularly unimpressed to be offerred successively locations in Hawaii; Atlanta, Georgia; Boston and for "Southampton England the Southampton Court House in Courtland Virginia!!

If you do not have a high speed connection you are also probably "shit out of luck" as loading anything on a dial-up takes oodles of patience
uhich reminds me I must also try to address the controversial subject of displaying pictures as I have been at odds with our moderator during the day and believe that Florian is on my side.
Please Note Well that the pictures displayed above use precisely none of florian's (as we now know) still limited and priceless paid for corfid web space as they are all stored on imageshack and moreover it is an unarguable fact that any bandwidth a.k.a file transfer/access usage/cost is borne not by corfid but again by imageshack. Also to aid those like me who are on a dial up I have used imageshack's convenient provided thumbnail links to show a small quick loading thumb that if clicked will open the the full sized screenshot(s) for those wishing to study it/them.
My point is that reading between those lines the loss of the forums yesterday and this morning has absolutely nothing whatseoever to do with my and Jessie-Joes displaying pictures here in profusion despite what as I understand many of you thought and expresed in emails or messages to Char so there!!
anybody who thinks they can prove otherwise is welcome to try
John Fowles

[ June 22, 2006, 14:35: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:22 PM   #2
brink-

Okay John, maybe you and Jessi Joe didn't cause the site to go down. BUT many of us are tired of all the pictures. Since you brought it up maybe it is time to address the issue. If they were related in anyway to the topic of this forum board it would be different, but 99% of them are not, and obviously the extreme number of pictures are on many peoples minds or they wouldn't have approached Char and Florian about it. Jessi has nearly 100 pictures posted of guitar accessories. Many are on dial up, the ones you so eloquently descibed as "SHIT OUT OF LUCK" if you and Jessi want to post nonsense pictures isn't there a site where you can post pictures and then post a link? Perhaps under one topic? Or delete the pictures after a week.
That is my opinion, John, "so there!!"
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 12:15 AM   #3
Janice

I really don't care if they were the cause of the site to go down or not, I find the excessive volume of pictures very frustrating and can't for the life of me find any relevence for 99.9% of them. I'll admit, a few of them are interesting - but not so interesting that I want to see them again and again and yet again as I scroll down to see if anything of consequence has actually been added to the *discussion*

I agree with Brink, Char and others in that it would be really nice if folks could just post a link to the pictures they want to share, so whomever might be interested can see them - once - and they won't be in the way of the conversation.

There's my pocket change.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:30 AM   #4
charlene

quote;

If you do not have a high speed connection you are also probably "shit out of luck" as loading anything on a dial-up takes oodles of patience
uhich reminds me I must also try to address the controversial subject of displaying pictures as I have been at odds with our moderator during the day and believe that Florian is on my side.
Please Note Well that the pictures displayed above use precisely none of florian's (as we now know) still limited and priceless paid for corfid web space as they are all stored on imageshack and moreover it is an unarguable fact that any bandwidth a.k.a file transfer/access usage/cost is borne not by corfid but again by imageshack. Also to aid those like me who are on a dial up I have used imageshack's convenient provided thumbnail links to show a small quick loading thumb that if clicked will open the the full sized screenshot(s) for those wishing to study it/them.
My point is that reading between those lines the loss of the forums yesterday and this morning has absolutely nothing whatseoever to do with my and Jessie-Joes displaying pictures here in profusion despite what as I understand many of you thought and expresed in emails or messages to Char so there!!
anybody who thinks they can prove otherwise is welcome to try
John Fowles [/QB][/QUOTE]

Well John I must say your childishness/schoolyard behaviour and tattle-tale attitude leaves me gobsmacked.

I have, for many months had people speaking to me about the pictures. The why of them...the number of them....and yes they've asked if they take up the disc quota.

Whether they use bandwidth/space at CORFID is but one of the issues with the pictures.

Not every post requires a picture to illustrate it. This is a discussion forum and a couple of relevant pictures now and then is welcome by all. Including those who may be "shit out of luck" with dial-up.

Whether Florian is on anybody's side - and I wasn't aware there were sides - is ridiculous.

What transpired in e-mails between me, you and Florian should not be a topic here yet you, in such a brazen fashion brought it here. Do you not have any respect for Florian, this message board, or me, at all? Don't try to turn this into a schoolyard fight any more than you already have.

And if the huge number of pictures didn't crash the site then that's just fine...no need to issue a dare to anyone to prove otherwise.

The pictures take up time to download and scroll through, regardless of dial-up or cable and many here have previously expressed to me that they don't like the quantity and irrelevance of many of the pictures posted. Some do enjoy them however.

This site is for all to enjoy and when the enjoyment for a large number of members is diminished for any reason then the issue need to be addressed.

This is Florian's domain, I am the moderator and speaking for myself I know I have done a bang-up job for many years. Your trying to stir the pot is most unwelcome,disrespectful and deeply resented.

Florian - I am beyond sorry for this turn of events. I do feel that I must speak up for myself here as this is where I have been maligned.

Members - I apologize for this event.

I greatly look forward to Florian sending us the link to the new site and with it a new beginning for Lightfoot lovers.

Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:01 AM   #5
charlene

I love aerial shots of the earth - my favourite part of flying is looking out the window as the world passes by....so fascinating to see the geography change, the cities appear, the changes in the water...it's really quite amazing.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:43 PM   #6
LSH

My main gripe is pictures posted in threads that have absolutely nothing to do with the thread...(and it's never just "a" pic, it's a succession of them)and having to scroll through them to get back to what members are saying in reply to the actual topic of the thread...which is why I'm there in the first place, to read the direct responses to the question or statement posed by the originator of any thread I happen to be in...
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:41 PM   #7
TheWatchman

I was directed by a banned member to check out the latest brew-ha-ha. Stop frothing at the mouth. Before you click your buddy list and start sending private messages, it wasn't my friend Mary. Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves about what you said about her. Ashamed. But that's another story and not the reason for my "delurking" as Bru aptly says.

At least I was upfront and honest with anything that I wrote. There is so much gossip that takes places in corfidland via private messages and it ruins friendships and drives people away. Look at you people lately. In my abscence I might add. What a shame.

You all have blamed me for the ill feelings around here, yet in my absence, they've only gotten worse. Look at the members who have left since I did! Can't blame those on me this time.

As you know, I have my own message forum and never, not once have we ever had a problem over there, and we've discussed everything from religion to politics. But to be fair, the members on my forum and those whom I consider friends, don't gossip and spread rumors. Yes, like me, they are upfront, don't beat around the bush and if something needs said, consider it done. We don't whine and cry "I'm offended", ever.

All the people who bashed me publically and privately are now fighting amongst themselves since I left. Actually, I'm very much aware of all the argueing that has taken place since my last post. The few that I thought were friends have proved otherwise as they have taken part in gossip-filled private messages about me. Don't forget, some of you like to "leak" and I'm not talking about any prostate problem.

As you are well aware, I'm a Christian. Some of you have repeatedly said that I'm a bad Christian because I'm direct, sometimes brash, sometime's post in an uncalled rude manner. You are correct in everything except me being a bad Christian. The one thing that I never did was gossip about any of you or say something in a private message that wasn't said publically. I do not gossip and spread or fan the fires of rumors, despite 98% of of the people here taking part in such things. I did not follow your lead, thank God for that! At least people knew who I was and like me or hate me, it was honest. 98% of you on the otherhand, are less than honest and belong to a thriving gossip mill. Shame on those involved.

Now that I've posted again, you all have a common enemy (me), so go back to being friends and go back to sending private messages about me instead.

[ June 22, 2006, 13:24: Message edited by: TheWatchman ]
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:13 PM   #8
LSH

Yay! Watchman 'delurks' for a moment!
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:36 PM   #9
brink-

Watchman, I am not in the least ashamed for anything that I said about Mary - she was out of line. Char was unable to answer her threatening Private Message because she had her blocked and then since she didn't get an answer she went on the forum, her own mistake since she was the one who made it impossible to keep it private.
I guess I am out of the loop because you haven't been the topic of my private messages. Since I was lucky enough to not ever be in the line of fire with you I didn't have a problem with you. I actually enjoyed you being on here for the most part and you and I had messaged and traded, no problem. You have posted your iroc site info yourself a long time ago. I was on myspace.com. For a totally different reason than you might think - I was looking for myspace sites of kids in my local community for a internet safety class that I had arranged. Then I hunted down DMD to invite him back to the forum. So if it me that you are referring to Sorry you were not on my mind.
I come on this forum for Gordon Lightfoot info, memories, friends, chat, etc. I don't like to discuss religion or politics. The saying about the sure way to lose friends is by talking religion and politics is true and has been around a long time.....your forum is out of the norm.
I feel I am a straight shooter - this discussion here is about how most everyone except John and Jessi Joe are sick and tired of pictures that have nothing to do with Gordon Lightfoot. It will come to a head and two people will get p/o'd and then all will be fine again.
I certainly appreciate the fact that you have decided to sacrifice yourself for the good of others, so we might get along.
Again, the reason that last boatload of people left was because of talking politics and religion. Read the topic or you probably already have.
Fact is I think everyone is tired of the bickering, is it going to stop? doubt it. Will we get along, usually. Is everything going to be perfect? never. But I am glad that we could prove that we weren't reliant on you alone for our fighting.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:22 PM   #10
Jesse Joe

To The Watchman # 396. My man or woman I dont know you. But you are not too far off here. This site sometimes lately, is driving me to quit it. I agree with the private messages. There crying to Charlene who I have nothing against. She delivers there crys, and poor her she makes ennemys. Did you leave this site? It's a pityful shame, what goes on here lately, its all just jealous,of one another. This is all I have to say.
CHEERS TO YOU... JJ.

[ June 20, 2006, 20:29: Message edited by: Jessi -Joe ]
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:00 PM   #11
TheWatchman

Brink,

"Watchman, I am not in the least ashamed for anything that I said about Mary"

That's great, but still, I am well aware of how all of that started and do not wish to continue with any discussions about it. Just remember, there are two sides to every story. My only point in bringing it up was that I didn't want anybody to think it was her that alerted me to the less than friendly atmosphere here as of late.

"Since I was lucky enough to not ever be in the line of fire with you I didn't have a problem with you. I actually enjoyed you being on here for the most part and you and I had messaged and traded, no problem."

Thanks for not having a problem with me. The trade was good, thanks for the Lightfoot show, I really appreciated it.

"You have posted your iroc site info yourself a long time ago."

Yes, I even had it posted in my profile. Not only that, countless times people would ask me to upload an image to my website, some songs, guitar tab etc. and then post the pics in the various threads so people could see them. So, not only did I post my URL, but I also used my website to help others out who at the time had no idea or means to post pics.

"I was on myspace.com. For a totally different reason than you might think."

No, I had no idea you were ever on MySpace much less form an opinion as to why.

"Then I hunted down DMD to invite him back to the forum. So if it me that you are referring to Sorry you were not on my mind."

Again, I had no idea you were ever on MySpace. I was not referring to anything about you, nor do I care at all if I was ever on your mind. Not to be short about it, but really, your above comment, well, leaves me no other choice.

"I come on this forum for Gordon Lightfoot info, memories, friends, chat, etc. I don't like to discuss religion or politics."

Very well. Not sure what the relevance is though...

"The saying about the sure way to lose friends is by talking religion and politics is true and has been around a long time.....your forum is out of the norm."

Yes, perhaps it is on both accounts. I have to agree, we do not have fragile ego's and are not easily offended. Yes, I guess this is not the norm these days.

"I feel I am a straight shooter."

Good.

"I certainly appreciate the fact that you have decided to sacrifice yourself for the good of others, so we might get along."

All sarcasism aside, I'm glad to do it. You see, me being without a fragile ego can sacrifice myself for common good of others. Seriously though, the angry posts have sky-rocketed since I left. More people left after I did than the first 3 years I was on this site.

"Again, the reason that last boatload of people left was because of talking politics and religion. Read the topic or you probably already have."

Okay, let's look at this. It's not the topics that forced people to leave, it's words of anger that people type that forced them to leave. But in one sense your right, politics did force some of them to leave. The politics of this site, not the government.

Hey, come on. People have bad mouthed my parents, my wife, me of course and even kids that I didn't have! I didn't leave. See, it's not the topic that causes people to leave. It's some peoples inability to be tolerant of others beliefs. I may disagree with someone, even disgree with strongly, but I have never nor will I ever make it personal.

"But I am glad that we could prove that we weren't reliant on you alone for our fighting."

Thanks, that's real nice. The truth is that although I have gotten into disagreements with some of you, even offended some of you, it WAS BETWEEN ME AND YOU! I never private messaged people to gain support or gossiped about you!! I never caused disarray amongst any of you as a group. Never, make no mistake about it. There is a huge difference, HUGE!!!

[ June 20, 2006, 21:13: Message edited by: TheWatchman ]
Old 06-20-2006, 09:28 PM   #12
TheWatchman

Quote:
Originally posted by Jessi -Joe:
To The Watchman # 396. My man or woman I dont know you.
Am yes man I am. As Yoda would say.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:13 AM   #13
<Reminder>

MistyMoppens,

Don't be too critical of the MySpace venue. It's just like the internet as a whole : a wonderful concept soiled by the nefarious deeds of humans. By keeping my interest confined to the music forum and not divulging too much personal info, I have discovered many interesting artists. Some of them would shame the American Idols, talent wise.

Just tossing in my 2 cents......

RMD
Old 06-21-2006, 02:41 AM   #14
<Reminder>

To Watchman,

Welcome back. I don't think your criticism of Geodictman's posts were out of line. As you probably know, his posts are much more reader friendly now.
What goes on "behind the scenes" is of no interest to me.

RMD
Old 06-21-2006, 05:40 AM   #15
TheWatchman

Quote:
Originally posted by &lt;Reminder&gt;:
To Watchman,

Welcome back. I don't think your criticism of Geodictman's posts were out of line. As you probably know, his posts are much more reader friendly now.
What goes on "behind the scenes" is of no interest to me.

RMD
In regards to Geodictman, I never knew he had a brain injury. Had I, I never would have made comment about his huge paragraphs and run-on sentences. They were very hard to read and after one or 2 lines, I couldn't take it anymore.

Actually, my comments to him were much less rude than what many others have said to other members in reference to spelling, not using paragraphs and especially using all caps. Funny thing is, if someone other than myself would have posted what I had, it would have been fine.

My response to that thread by posting "Good God" was because I was speechless at how everybody was acting. Like children. Steve's reply to me and others replies as well, were far worse than what I had posted; a quote from Webster's dictionary. Talk about fragile ego's...

I noticed the following day after my supposed rude post to Steve, he started to use paragraphs. Go figure. Again, I had no idea he had a brain injury. Come on, do you really think I would suggest that someone who suffered something so serious worry about paragraphs? It's laughable. But then again, those who have gossiped about me in the past and who have called me names etc., I know what your answer is.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:50 AM   #16
TheWatchman

Quote:
Originally posted by MistyMoppens:
I don't hang out on myspace so thanks for the handy link.

What I found interesting is Suberman's first "friend" listed. It's "GORDON LIGHTFOOT" complete with picture and "personal" details..

...such as the fact that he's "Divorced" (um.... nope.) and that he lives in "Los Angeles". (um... nope again...)

What's sad (and embarrassing) is to see people posting to this person as though he's the real thing. And this is "ok" with GL "fan" Suberman? What is this? His imaginary friend???(and a famous one at that) Reading the "About Me" info was painful. Barry Harvey should be notified about this because this impersonator is actually responding to people who contact him about "his" United Artists LPs. hmmm... creepy.

And this reminds me why I don't hang out at myspace... *sigh*...
I didn't post the link to entice you to join! I posted the link so all this behind-the-scenes dectective work can stop. You know, some of you trying to put all the pieces together as who is really who on this site, John Fowles saying that he needs time to type up something to prove that DMD3 and Suberman are the same, that I'm listed as friends of people here who are banned. WHO CARES? It's all so childish.

I don't like it either that someone is trying to fool people that he/she is Lightfoot. I thought the entire profile was insulting.

People pose as other people here at cordid too...should this also be reminder to you about posting here? I don't think so. Gotta take the good with the bad when it come's to the internet because every site in the universe houses the same type of frauds.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:34 AM   #17
<Mary>

I did have charlene blocked by accident because i was trying to figure out how that ignore and buddy list feature worked. After a couple days and i didn't get a response to PM #1, I tried to send her another PM and couldn't, because you can't send PM's to someone who is on your ignore list. So i immediately unblocked her and sent PM #2. It was an oversite on my part and i fully admit to that.

Perhaps my direct and to the point verbage made her feel threatened. Nobody can ever accuse me of not cutting to the chase and getting to the bottom of things.

If i had Charlene blocked the whole time, how could i have sent her the 2nd and 3rd PM's???

She just didn't want to talk to me.. i gave her almost 2 weeks to respond and talk about the problem and she completely ignored me. just another lie to add to the pile of crap here because she WAS NOT blocked after I fixed it the first time. LIES LIES LIES!

Brink was the one who started all this crap.. i was at work minding my own business and here comes her PM about my references to God that opened up Pandora's Box. Then more PM's from other people telling me different reasons.

Alot of you people toyed with me for weeks and then have the audacity to say I acted like i was in 3rd grade when all I di was re-act to your childishness. I bought concert and plane tickets in March to go to Toronto and meet you people this November.. what an idiot I was to think you all were my friends.

Oh and Cathy, about what you said about me thinking that I'm a raving beauty... those are your words not mine Honey!

Have a nice day!
Old 06-21-2006, 07:31 AM   #18
charlene

Apr.10, 12 and 14...3 P.M.'s sent from Mary.
After trying to respond to the first one I found I was blocked.
I didn't try again as I assumed that since I was blocked after the first PM then I would certainly be blocked after more threats in PM 2 and 3.
You can send messages to people you block - they just can't respond.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:32 AM   #19
<Mary>

Old 06-21-2006, 08:41 AM   #20
geodeticman

Send a message via AIM to geodeticman

Watchman -

Howdy - I could not help but read the third-person references to me. I did not want the brain (and other pertinent) injuries to proceed me, but my entry into the room was with trepidation. I had not used a pc in over 4 years, typing sucked (still does) LOL, and....

making my typing more readable was a thing i needed to have brought to my attention. While your comments were a bit rough, I fired back on all cannons, feeling very..insecure. there - i said it.

But fragile ? Well now..... after walking out miles from 12,000 feet solo in the Rockies with half my leg hanging out and under femoral artery tourniquet, resecting my position and plotting a polar-rectangular course our in Lambert conformal coordinate inversion while bleeding to death, BEFORE the head injury, .... I'd say not so fragile. OK ? Insecure, OK. Neverhtless,

However, I stuck it out and improved. The paragraphs the next day were an effort (big) to take your critique to constructive use. I'm proud of my progress curve sice, and am much more tolerant of well-intentioned jibes. John is merciless !LOL

I just had not "read" you yet; I'd been out of arenas like this for a long time. Thank you for being understandably candid with me. I needed to improve. No matter others rallied to my defense - you were right - in principle, if not word.

I hope you can put that very difficult past I went through in my first month of posting behind you - I certainly have. Day to day my cognitive and dextrous skills vary, but sure are better now. All those long posts were good for at least me ! LOL

Say, Watchman, let's start fresh like regular good guys and shake, as you may recall I offerred back then. Truly - I'd enjoy posting with you oblivious of that first month of mine where I think Walls dropped in after 3 years to the great misfortune of reading one of my tome's !! I feel sorry for him. lol

Since you and i seem to be regular guys ( anybody who likes "The Watchman's Gone") has to be a good guy in my book , lets start fresh and no harm done, huh ? c'mon man ?

BTW - I am a Christian, too. Let's both behave like good ones and let by-gones be by-gones.You could have addrressed me directly as a stand-up guy, versus tangential references to me and my unGodly start-up in the room.

I see YOU are on the right track, but you are way heavy on the ham-handedness in your tact. And, I have never gossipped in PM's. it took me a month to figure out PM's ! duhhh

Our personas inevitably shine through Watchman, as kind people or not. Your light's flickering from your "strong wind" and high blood-pressure.
Relax, friend, and I suspect we'all have a forum again that.... that.....

Gordon Lightfoot would be proud of his fan's to read. !!

Watch on Watchman ! Did you know the original Watchmen in railroads would look for hobos jumping on , and then drop a lead billet on a rope down under the tracks to beat them to death where they hung on underneath, then jumped on board later ?

Don't do that in your anger man, you're to good a guy ! Odd in response to your feelings of persecution you persecute to validate your own statements somewhat. So get it out of your system, and I'd bet we'd all enjoy being friends again ? I sure do currently.

Welcome back. Start fresh ? Handshake ? Maybe soon - friends ? - Steve

geo Steve

[ June 21, 2006, 09:34: Message edited by: geodeticman ]
geodeticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:59 AM   #21
geodeticman

everyone - oops, I just realized this was "small talk" and anything within reason goes. Sorry for the following I wrote a few minutes ago when I felt it applied to the wonderful forum of general discussion about Gord and his music. But it was the comments in small talk that fuled this thought:

Everyone:
I just remembered again a real pertinent (imho) line from Gord's "The House You Live In": "Be known as a man who will always be candid on questions that do not relate" .

Words of wisdom. From the man.

I am in no way being sanctimonius. Rather, sacrosanct - with respect for all of you. I'd sure enjoy returning to this room where I can say why I like a song, and someone else agrees or disagrees, or offers another interpretation,
and the bickering ends. Limited pictures Germaine to the subject are OK with me. Let's talk GORDON LIGHTFOOT ! pullleeeease lol

- Steve

[ June 21, 2006, 09:26: Message edited by: geodeticman ]
Old 06-21-2006, 09:21 AM   #22
brink-

Okay, let's look at this. It's not the topics that forced people to leave, it's words of anger that people type that forced them to leave. But in one sense your right, politics did force some of them to leave. The politics of this site, not the government.

I have to agree with this, but I also think if the topic hadn't started then the angry words wouldn't be present. People get firmly embedded in their beliefs and when logic doesn't work some resort to personal attacks.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:28 AM   #23
geodeticman

Brink - agreed - Steve
Old 06-21-2006, 09:55 AM   #24
TheWatchman

"Odd in response to your feelings of persecution you persecute to validate your own statements somewhat."

Quite the contrary. I am not persecuting, I am only speaking the truth about the deceitful things that are done behind people's backs. In other words, I'm only bringing to light what has been done in darkness. There is too much gossip and backstabbing (as if any of it is acceptable!). I mean look at the people who have been fighting. People who have been friends!! And what is in every arguement? "You private messeged this person this, this person private messaged me and their in agreement with so and so." Geeze man, am I and a select few the only one's who see this? Wake up, the coffee's done brewed and is caked like mud in the bottom of the pot.

To clear up this Christian thing...

If being passive means being a good Christian, then count me out. I'm not passive. When people have mentioned that I'm not a good Christian, and the reason why Christians have a bad name is because of people like me, I take issue with it. Especially when people use my beliefs to fire back at me because they have no other ammunition. This has nothing to do with you Steve. This has been something has been ongoing for a long time. The only person that I have to please is God, and of course my wife. I've never boasted that I'm a good Christian, nor have I ever asked for anyone to judge me on whether or not I am. I just don't care on that level, in this setting. I have no regrets.

When you publically affirm your belief as a Christian around here, even in the appropriate setting, your judged from that day forward. Anything you say or do will be judged and sentence passed on whether or not you live up to what you believe. If I say I think it's okay to trade bootlegs with other fans, people question my Christian beliefs. There's no end to it and I accept it. Fine with me, but don't expect me to sit here with my hands folded praying about it.

In my eyes, people are people whether they are Christians or not. Religion should not be brought into the picture to try and prove that someone is being mean, like me! Then judgements are made and sentence passed on whether or not I'm a good Christian. For me, that sh*t don't fly. Yes, I said sh*t, the bad, bad Christian boy that I am.

It's okay to mention God, occasionally, in passing, but if someone mentions anything personal about God, all Hell breaks loose, literally. Why? Because people get offended. This is where my reference to fragile egos also comes into play.

To me, the worst kind of Christian is one who does not stand up for his/her beliefs when they are trampled on. People who are afraid to talk out of fear of offending someone. I have never pushed my beliefs, I've only defended them. I respect other people's beliefs more than many of you could ever comprehend, but I'm not going to act like a monk tending to my garden pondering the beauty of butterflies either.

As far as being angry, I am not. I'm irritated at some of the accusations about myself and some friends, but far from being angry. I care enough to take time to post about it, but not enough to consume the necessary energy to be angry.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:16 AM   #25
<Reminder>

MistyMoppens,

Just a note to concur with your thoughts about Suberman's Lightfoot site being "creepy". When I clicked on it, a Loudon Wainwright song started playing. Strange indeed.

I do hope that anyone beginning to explore the Lightfoot library is not mislead by such nonsense.

Boy.......that was weird.....

RMD