banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-30-2018, 03:12 AM   #1
imported_Ordinary_Man

Default Springfield IL Sept. 29, 2018 setlist

The Watchman's Gone
Too Many Clues in this Room
Sweet Guinevere
Never Too Close
14 Karat Gold
Let It Ride
I'd Rather Press On
Beautiful
Much To My Surprise
Cold On the Shoulder
Carefree Highway
Did She Mention My Name?
Ribbon of Darkness
Sundown

Intermission

Now And Then
The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
Christian Island
Minstrel of the Dawn
Shadows
Rainy Day People
A Painter Passing Through
If You Could Read My Mind
Restless Feeling
Baby Step Back
Early Morning Rain

encore: Waiting For You

Gord struggled with his voice in the early part of the show but it got better and in the second set sounded quite a bit better. He took swigs of water and sometimes swigs from a white bottle which apparently was Biotene. He made a joke about doing a commercial (maybe he said infomercial) for Biotene. I had to google it, didn't know what it was.

I was in the balcony and had some trouble (as I always seem to do) hearing/understanding some of his asides and ad libs but (after Carefree Highway) he mentioned shortening some of the songs so he could get more of them in.

A few folks "finished" Ribbon of Darkness and he made the joke about leaving your names with the receptionist and we'll get back to you.

In the middle of the first set he said the next song is one that I can't ever seem to remember all the lyrics when I do it. Then he couldn't remember the title. Got a laugh. It turned out to be Much to My Surprise and I'm pretty sure he nailed the lyrics.

Regarding the Wreck, he spoke a few minutes leading into it. An actual event. The loss of 29 men. Meant to be a topical song. And it was big career boost for him.

Got extended applause after a wonderful rendition of IYCRMM. I know I never tire of hearing it and I imagine that is true of most all his fans. For the life of me I can't remember what he said after the applause but something on the order of it really kept the bills paid.

Red Jacket first set, Blue second set. Black jeans, white boots.

That's about all I can remember. It's always a thrill to see him, and my friends and I had a wonderful time.

Oh, as I've done a few times in the past, I over-scribbled a couple of song titles writing in the dark. I'm sure the songs are correct but a couple may be switched in order.

Steve
imported_Ordinary_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:02 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Springfield IL Sept. 29, 2018 setlist

Photos courtesy of Mrs.Kim Lightfoot: She says it's another photo in her MAN IN THE MIRROR series..lol

Mike Heffernan-GL-Springfield Ill.sep29-2018 Kim pic by char Westbrook, on Flickr

GL-Springfield Ill.sep29-2018 Kim pic by char Westbrook, on Flickr

Chuck Thomas-GL-Springfield Ill.sep29-2018 Kim pic by char Westbrook, on Flickr
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:51 PM   #3
Kelly Davis

Yes, 'Imported Ordinary Man' , your set list is correct. However, 'Restless Feeling' is simply titled, 'Restless'.

The venue played the album 'East Of Midnight' as the audience was getting seated. Quote from Gordon to myself a few years ago : "It's my best album." However you view the album, Gordon considers it his best work - gotta have respect for it for that.

After 'I'd Rather Press On', Gordon talked about using a capo during the folk revival. "It's how I got my sound ……. I think." (got a laugh)

After 'Did She Mention My Name', Gordon talked about using shorter versions of songs to get more songs in per concert. "You would have to be deeply involved in my entire catalogue to notice the difference."

After 'Now And Then', Gordon took a drink from the white bottle and said, "Next thing you know, I'll be in a Biotene advertisement."

After 'If You Could Read My Mind', Gordon said, "Thank you. That one hauls a lot of water." (probably his figure of speech for a song that has made a tremendous impact on his career) In my opinion, Gordon always sounds his best on 'IYCRMM', no matter what his voice is doing that night!

Before the encore, Gordon said, "It ain't gonna be like Vegas ….. a short show and five encores."

One comment on Kim's pictures : The shot that is labeled 'heading back on stage for the 2nd set' - Gordon actually wore the dark blue jacket for the 2nd set (as has been stated in the above review). I love the pictures, Kim. Keep them coming!!!

Was nice to meet up with fellow 'Corfidians' Kevin and Erin Hester and Tim Quinn and his son, Tim. (never got our picture together!! - next time)

This was the 24th show for my wife and I since spring of 1991. We told Gordon as we were getting ready to leave that we are looking forward to #25.
Kelly Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:18 PM   #4
Tim

Hi Kelly!
Sorry it took me so long to check in on your Corfid post on this great concert! It was great to see you and your family again! Your memory and recollection is so thorough and accurate that it brought me right back to the venue, even though it was nearly two weeks ago.

During the meet and greet when my son Tim and I had our brief time with Gordon, when I thanked him for touring, he answered that "we love what we do." To that, I answered "WE love that you love what you do." We also had the opportunity to chat with Barry which is always a pleasure. He is such a pleasant person. I learned from Rick that it was his son that did the photography work for the commemorative book "Frames from the Stage, Massey Hall." In fact, I think I borrowed a pen from you to get Rick's autograph in that book!

Also during the meet and greet I had the opportunity to chat briefly with Kim who was sitting with only one person (who I believe who was one of Gordon's traveling entourage). I thanked her for sharing Gordon with us. She seemed very pleasant.

Again, thanks for posting on this concert Kelly! All the best to you and yours.

Tim

Last edited by Tim; 10-11-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:47 PM   #5
charlene

thanks for the reports and comments!
Yes, Rick's son, Jeremiah did the photography for the photo book...and yes, Kim is very pleasant and sweet and generous..
it's always fun to get a message from her with a tour photo or two!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote