banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2006, 01:33 PM   #1
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

http://www.lazykiller.com/index~id~557.htm

What're you looking at her lips for?

:D :D :D
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 04:12 PM   #2
Borderstone

Singing??? Ability???!!

Um.....ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!! LOL!!!! : :D :D :D
Old 07-20-2006, 05:16 PM   #3
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

Or her 'mouthing' ability?
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:29 AM   #4
charlene

WHile it is disturbing to see the couple of incidents Britney had flashed all over the world where her parenting skills were called into question it is nothing that many,many other parents/caregivers have not done. Or similar sorts of things. Or worse.
Parents smoking in cars with children, speeding, not strapping them in shopping carts or in car seats, not holding their hands in parking lots or while crossing streets, feeding them inappropriate foods/drinks, spanking, - so many things that the every day parent does that aren't splashed across the tabloids.
I do daycare (and have raised 2 kids of my own)and see lots of things with parents and their kids that are far worse than Britney's examples. And they are parents who are older, professionals and with other children. Even grandparents who seem clueless.
So unless we are embedded in the Britney home and see her daily care of her child I don't think it fair to slam her. Children fall off change tables, out of chairs, off beds etc. every day....
I know for myself that there were times when my parenting skills would be questioned if we went by what the tabloids can capture on film.
And I don't think there's a parent out there who can claim otherwise if they are honest.
I am not a fan of her music but she certainly can dance and her singing is not horrible....
I just don't like that young girls are so influenced by the sexualization of her (and others) music/clothes/dancing...but that brings parenting skills back into the mix. Parents who say (and there are lots) 'she won't wear anything but those sorts of clothes' or 'she won't listen to anything else' obviously don't realize they are the adults and they will buy what is appropriate. An 8 year old girl in a mini version of a Britney outfit singing the lyrics to sexually explicit or violent lyrics song shows appalling lack of judgement on the parents part in allowing the child to listen to it or wear it.
Just as driving with a child on your lap shows bad judgement or not buckling the child in their seat or any other safety issue. But these things happen every day.....99.9% of us don't get caught tho.
just a few thoughts....
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 01:09 PM   #5
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Well said Char !

I can't believe I made it to 53... I remember riding in my Dad's VW and when he would open the hatch on the roof I would jump up on the back seat and ride along with half of me outside the car, until he realized I was up there. Then he would holler and knock me back unto the seat.

He'd probably be arrested today but it wasn't his fault - it was mine, LOL. And I did it until he got rid of the car. Man I loved the feel of the air rushing by...

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 01:18 PM   #6
TheWatchman

Quote:
Originally posted by timetraveler:
I don't know how many of you would care for my opinion on Britney Spear, but here it is. My personal opinion is that she is a virtually brainless wonder of a troll who seems to have no parenting skills at all, much less any common sense when it comes to handling a baby. And when it comes to her so called singing abilities,forget about it. I'd like to know just who told her she was talented. Mainly, I'd like to know just where she learned her parenting skills. I learned mine by way of first hand experience, by helping to care for siblings & other kids over the years. Trolls like her have no business with kids.
Super! Finally, the world has a perfect parent and one that's not too humble to toot his/her own horn about it either.

What is the technique for your perfect parenting?

Too bad people weren't hiding in trees outside your home, waiting for that one slip up (taken out of context of course) to show the world just how bad of a parent you really are.

I don't know how old you are, but being that you have kids, you should be old enough to know that tabloids lie and stretch the facts (and even fabricate) to make $$. Don't forget to teach this to your kids and be sure to let them know not to believe everything they read (after you learn it of course).
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 01:35 PM   #7
talbot10

posted August 11, 2006 13:18
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by timetraveler:
I don't know how many of you would care for my opinion on Britney Spear, but here it is. My personal opinion is that she is a virtually brainless wonder of a troll who seems to have no parenting skills at all, much less any common sense when it comes to handling a baby. And when it comes to her so called singing abilities,forget about it. I'd like to know just who told her she was talented. Mainly, I'd like to know just where she learned her parenting skills. I learned mine by way of first hand experience, by helping to care for siblings & other kids over the years. Trolls like her have no business with kids.

Super! Finally, the world has a perfect parent and one that's not too humble to toot his/her own horn about it either.

What is the technique for your perfect parenting?

Too bad people weren't hiding in trees outside your home, waiting for that one slip up (taken out of context of course) to show the world just how bad of a parent you really are.

I don't know how old you are, but being that you have kids, you should be old enough to know that tabloids lie and stretch the facts (and even fabricate) to make $$. Don't forget to teach this to your kids and be sure to let them know not to believe everything they read (after you learn it of course).

Quote:
Originally posted by charlene:
WHile it is disturbing to see the couple of incidents Britney had flashed all over the world where her parenting skills were called into question it is nothing that many,many other parents/caregivers have not done. Or similar sorts of things. Or worse.
Parents smoking in cars with children, speeding, not strapping them in shopping carts or in car seats, not holding their hands in parking lots or while crossing streets, feeding them inappropriate foods/drinks, spanking, - so many things that the every day parent does that aren't splashed across the tabloids.
I do daycare (and have raised 2 kids of my own)and see lots of things with parents and their kids that are far worse than Britney's examples. And they are parents who are older, professionals and with other children. Even grandparents who seem clueless.
So unless we are embedded in the Britney home and see her daily care of her child I don't think it fair to slam her. Children fall off change tables, out of chairs, off beds etc. every day....
I know for myself that there were times when my parenting skills would be questioned if we went by what the tabloids can capture on film.
And I don't think there's a parent out there who can claim otherwise if they are honest.
I am not a fan of her music but she certainly can dance and her singing is not horrible....
I just don't like that young girls are so influenced by the sexualization of her (and others) music/clothes/dancing...but that brings parenting skills back into the mix. Parents who say (and there are lots) 'she won't wear anything but those sorts of clothes' or 'she won't listen to anything else' obviously don't realize they are the adults and they will buy what is appropriate. An 8 year old girl in a mini version of a Britney outfit singing the lyrics to sexually explicit or violent lyrics song shows appalling lack of judgement on the parents part in allowing the child to listen to it or wear it.
Just as driving with a child on your lap shows bad judgement or not buckling the child in their seat or any other safety issue. But these things happen every day.....99.9% of us don't get caught tho.
just a few thoughts....
Char
Well Said Al and Charzo!
God knows all of us have tried to always do the the best things regarding our children but we all make mistakes. Britney is young kid still. I am sure she is doing her best as well. I am sure she will get there.
Bill
Old 08-11-2006, 02:25 PM   #8
charlene

Quote:
Originally posted by BILLW:
Well said Char !

I can't believe I made it to 53... I remember riding in my Dad's VW and when he would open the hatch on the roof I would jump up on the back seat and ride along with half of me outside the car, until he realized I was up there. Then he would holler and knock me back unto the seat.

]
LOL! - my grandfather used to haul about a dozen young grandkids and an equal number of hounds in the back of the pick up truck up the highway a couple of hours to the cabin in North Ontario. then he'd turn off the hiway onto a dirt road and we'd get whipped by the tree branches if we didn't pay attention.
one time we had to pull over to retrieve a dumb beagle who insisted on trying to sit on the wheel area in the back of the truck...one bump too many and he went a flying! it was on the dirt road so we weren't travelling too fast and he didn't get hurt but being a beagle he got right back in and tried to sit there again. us grandkids learned a lesson that day! lolol
and poppa taught us it's never a good idea to light the coleman lamp IN the cabin....but a quick dash to the lake to toss the lamp in showed us how to think on our feet!
lol
yep - we're all a bit guilty of being goofball parents....and grandparents. thankfully most of us are here to tell the tale...
Old 08-11-2006, 04:09 PM   #9
RM

So help me get this straight,

Am I to believe that all who post here are human ?

I was hoping for more. Oh well....

RMD
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 04:47 PM   #10
charlene

I just turned 51 in July....in my head I'm 25, right now relaxing after the three toddlers have left I feel 90...
lol
and yep... I'm human...
I just read about a 35 year old mother who contracted her 15 year old daughter out to her boyfriend for sex while she recuperated from surgery....now THAT is just wrong!
lol
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/LAW/08/1....ap/index.html
Old 08-11-2006, 05:23 PM   #11
RM

Charlene,

Would you happen to know if the mother or boyfriend post in this forum ?

Just kidding....horrific stories like that are one of the reasons I'm not afraid of the "exit sign of life". Unbelievable.

RMD
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:37 PM   #12
Auburn Annie

54 here. Oldest of 9, long before seatbelts. True story: my dad was a police officer in our town. One day he was out on patrol with a partner when they had to make a hit-the-brakes quick stop. Dad was driving, and out of sheer force of habit with us, he whipped his right arm across in front of his partner to keep him from hitting the windshield, lol. They ribbed him about that for a long time, at least until he made chief.

Also from the bad old days: my mom was coming home with two of my siblings riding in the back of the station wagon. We'd had a bad snow storm and the side roads were unplowed and slick. Coming to an intersection she slowed, hit an ice patch and did a full 360, narrowly missing a big ol' tree in somebody's front yard. As she relaxed her deathgrip on the wheel and took a breath of relief, a little voice from the back piped up with "that was fun, mom! Let's do it again." To this day my mother doesn't know which one said it but she was ready to kill 'em both.

Funny as the stories are, and we're all here to tell them, there are good reasons for seatbelts and the like. Kids bounced out of the back of pickup trucks and got run over, or became human missiles going head first through a windshield. I have a cousin who had a close encounter with the windshield of her car, a grownup headed home from work who forgot to belt up and fell asleep behind the wheel. She was in critical condition when they found her and has spent a couple of years recuperating. Rules that some folks feel have made us into a "nanny" state all have their origin in somebody's tragedy

[ August 11, 2006, 17:43: Message edited by: Auburn Annie ]
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 08:45 PM   #13
charlene

Quote:
Originally posted by Auburn Annie:
and out of sheer force of habit with us, he whipped his right arm across in front of his partner to keep him from hitting the windshield, lol. They ribbed him about that for a long time, at least until he made chief.

lol!
my mother STILL does that!!
lol
Old 08-12-2006, 07:23 AM   #14
Jennifer

Britney Spears is a pretty girl who dances well. She's a good video artist but she's no singer, thats for sure. She should have been a model or a professional dancer. As far as all the stories surrounding her and allegations of being a "bad" parent I don't pay much mind to those any more than I do to all the "Brangelina" headlines.
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:25 PM   #15
charlene

I'm not big on the harness/leash thing for the reason that it gives the kid the idea he can still be wild and doesn't teach him that there are times he has to walk properly holding a parents hand when in a mall or out in public. I tried it with my son for a while at that age...didn't work. So when we went anywhere and he wanted to walk he learned that if he got out of hand he'd get taken home and put to bed. It only took a few times of leaving the mall, or wherever we were that he was to behave and got taken home that he became a better behaved kid.. As far as humiliating the kid I don't know if he'd notice or grasp that concept...hard to say. The other problem iwth the leash thing in a mall etc. is taht it gets in the way of other people etc. unless you keep it really short...and then you may as well hold his hand or teach him to stay beside you.
Every kid is different tho and what one parent finds permissable isn't always in synch with the others around them....
Old 08-15-2006, 09:42 PM   #16
Jesse Joe

I would say it would make the kid think he's a dog. NO? :D

[ August 15, 2006, 21:53: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:50 PM   #17
brink-

After the third time of my son running off in the mall when I paying for something or ordering his food, I went to the pet store in the mall and bought a dog leash. I attached it to his belt loop and the other end on my wrist, we were on TV that night as the TV crew was doing a story there and saw him. They never spoke to us, but the news anchor thought it was a great idea. That was 26 years ago. I only had to use it for a few months but he was never embarrassed about it and it kept him alive, he was diagnosed as ADHD - was very hard to handle and I had another child to keep track of too.
Nope, didn't make him feel like a dog.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:09 PM   #18
Jesse Joe

LOL Lucky guy.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:59 PM   #19
charlene

Yep if a child has ADD or ADHD or some other medical reason then a parent needs to take whatever means to keep taht child safe. In cases where those problems don't exist I find that a kid LOVES to learn something new and get praised for it. Once that kicks in they're yours!
lol
I have these kiddies here at my place behaving for me because I'm consistent with expectations and what happens after expectations aren't met!
lol
I even had a toddler put herself in time-out upstairs in her playpen/bed when she did something wrong like slap another child...LOL
it was very very funny. Off she'd go without a word from me. Sometimes I didn't even see her take a toy or whatever her misdemenour - just her heading upstairs. She's then call after a few minutes to let me know she'd behave and ask to come back down. Then she'd climb out and play nicely. She never climbed out at any other time either!
lol
My own son always behaved better with other people.....its like he brought his evil twin to drive me nuts!
lol
Old 08-16-2006, 04:48 PM   #20
brink-

My own son always behaved better with other people.....its like he brought his evil twin to drive me nuts!
lol

They all have evil twins.....lol
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 01:23 PM   #21
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

I keep a personal journal now, because of my short term memory loss. I write just about everything I do in the run of a day. I'm always going back and rereading it, just to refresh my memory. I'm finding, as time goes on, that I'm starting to remember things much easier now, and usually remember even before I reread the journal.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:28 PM   #22
DJ in MJ

Neither my wife nor I keep a personal journal. Our email is easily accessible to the other, but I don't think it has even occurred to either of us to read or snoop. She even had to go into my wallet one time (valid reason at the time but now I can't remember why) and she said afterwards she felt really guilty.

I also agree with you, TT. If you put your fingers where they don't belong, don't start crying if they get caught in the mousetrap. Perhaps that's easy for me to say, as I am not the jealous type.
DJ in MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 01:31 PM   #23
DJ in MJ

Quote:
Originally posted by Cathy:
I'm finding, as time goes on, that I'm starting to remember things much easier now...
Cathy,

Do you remember that $500 I loaned you earlier this year? :D :D
DJ in MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:53 PM   #24
Cathy

Yes. I donated it to science. Hope you don't mind. You'll just have to live with the loss.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:04 AM   #25
Cathy

Why bother with a typewriter when you have a PC. You can go into Microsoft Word, type it and save it into a folder on the PC.