banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-08-2009, 10:59 PM   #1
charlene

Default PubJams during the Massey Hall dates - McVeigh's Irish pub

For any attendees of the Massey Hall concerts coming up from Nov.18-21, there will be two PubJams.

They are on Thursday Nov.19 and Friday Nov.20 - times are 2 - 4:30 p.m.

Some of our talented "Net People" will be performing onstage at McVeigh's Irish Pub located at Richmond St. and Church St.

http://www.mcveighspub.com/index.html
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
lighthead2toe

Default Re: PubJams during the Massey Hall dates - McVeigh's Irish pub

Ah yes, it's that "Magical Massey Moment" time again and the anticipation factor is riding on bust!

"GORDON LIGHTFOOT LIVE IN MASSEY HALL."

Pretty hard to top that one, eh!

So, we hope to do it up real nice and provide as much enjoyment as we possibly can for the folks who come to gather in Toronto during such a wonderful festive event.

This time at the pub jam we'll see many familiar faces and a few new ones as well which is always refreshing.

Everyone is welcome to join us for a song whichever way it may happen; on the stage, sitting around a table, whatever. Doesn't matter. There'll be a cupla guitars available as well.

For the folks who travel, the Toronto transit system is very efficient. See: www.ttc.ca.

The fare is $2.75 (for old guys like me $1.85) and from the Toronto Airport, as an example that fare will get you anywhere in the city.

The Toronto folks are very friendly so no need to be intimidated asking for instructions if need be.

I am very much looking forward to climbing on that silver bird, flying on high, and touching down on the tarmac in that great city of mine and seeing everyone once again.

What a great feeling!

Cheers, Ron J.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:47 PM   #3
Jenney

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthead2toe View Post
Ah yes, it's that "Magical Massey Moment" time again and the anticipation factor is riding on bust!

What a great feeling!

Cheers, Ron J.

Sure is! Looking forward to seeing you Ron!
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:59 AM   #4
jj

Quote:
... whichever way it may happen; on the stage, sitting around a table...
is there a men's room option? great tiled acoustics in there

many days have passed since we all got high on being united
http://www.youtube.com/opus62#p/u/10/guJpmxswVvY

Last edited by jj; 11-10-2009 at 10:04 AM.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
charlene

sure gonna miss those folks who can't make it this time..

4 sleeps till Orillia
8 sleeps till Massey

I'm all a-twitter...gettin' ready to get tarted up..
Old 11-10-2009, 10:49 AM   #6
jj

ok, now Ron's post got me too jazzed (thanks Brain) to rest:

0 sleeps to Massey for me

...better hand me a grande coffee when you see me
Old 11-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #7
lighthead2toe

Great to hear you're joining us again this time Jenny.

That big sparkling smile will light up any room. A fine Merlot from me to you.

And the "great tiled acoustics" in the men's washroom! Only a guy like JJ would pick up on that one.

When I visited that pub I enjoyed singing along in harmony to the music I was hearing from the band playing upstairs from that acoustically refined room. Total bliss of course.

Hey, JJ, We'll still be needing you for "You'll Still Be Needing Me."

You nailed that one down so well last time you left us there completely dumbstruck.

So oil up those pipes there buddy. The D18 will be in fine "intonation" when placed into your hands.

Cheers, RJ.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #8
mandoann

A week from tonight I'll be on that silver bird too (a red-eyed one via Vancouver!). Thanks for the TTC info, Ron; this time I'm getting in early in the morning, so I should be able to figure out how to get to the hotel (last year, it was about 9 pm and I didn't dare...)

Do you take requests, Ron? How about I'm Not Supposed to Care?

I remember a great rendition of "The Last Time I Saw Her" last year

Looking forward to seeing you and lots of corfidians!

Quote:

So, we hope to do it up real nice and provide as much enjoyment as we possibly can for the folks who come to gather in Toronto during such a wonderful festive event.

This time at the pub jam we'll see many familiar faces and a few new ones as well which is always refreshing.

Everyone is welcome to join us for a song whichever way it may happen; on the stage, sitting around a table, whatever. Doesn't matter. There'll be a cupla guitars available as well.

For the folks who travel, the Toronto transit system is very efficient. See: www.ttc.ca.

The fare is $2.75 (for old guys like me $1.85) and from the Toronto Airport, as an example that fare will get you anywhere in the city.

The Toronto folks are very friendly so no need to be intimidated asking for instructions if need be.

I am very much looking forward to climbing on that silver bird, flying on high, and touching down on the tarmac in that great city of mine and seeing everyone once again.

What a great feeling!

Cheers, Ron J.

- if you meet him you will be/ the victim of his minstrelsy/ he'll sing for you a song

"You could wrap me around your finger"
mandoann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:24 PM   #9
lighthead2toe

Hey Ann. It's great to hear you will be joining us again. Hope we'll have a song (or two) from you.
And requests: of course; by all means we'll fill the bill! (or a close second)

Reminds me of the lyric in Gord's song "I'd Do It Again" where the line says: "They cried for more,_ he replied "Why sure,"_ and he played one just for free."

But Ann, I should tell you that I always thought the lyric from "Minstrel of the Dawn" (If you meet him you will be a victim of his minstrelsy) that you chose to sign off with in your posts was quite tasteful, so I would like to dedicate that song to you at the pub jam.
It's a tune that I had to "re learn" from the early years, but always loved the song and became more drawn to it when I discovered in a July 10, 2008 "Globe and Mail" article written by Colleen Elltoft, Red Shea's daughter. In this article, pertaining to the passing of her father she says that: "Gordon wrote a song "Minstrel of the Dawn" that was inspired by Red. I believe it captured the playful life that my father possessed."

And of course having connected with John Stinson and Paul Bartlett, both students of the master, and will be joining us at the pub jam, "Minstrel of the Dawn" is now a very special song for me.

So guys and gals who are into this one, the capo will be on the second fret in the "D" position (key is "E"), so let's make this baby roll!

We'll try and get into things more happy than blue.

Cheers, RJ.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:43 PM   #10
T.G.

I'd like to put in a request for "All the Lovely Ladies." A great tune that's not often played.
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:17 AM   #11
brink-

Ron is always such a joy to listen to. JJ playing instead of filming that would be a fabulous treat. Wish I was there with all of you, Lets see 8 sleeps plus 18 months of sleep til Massey.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:35 AM   #12
charlene

JJ better get up there again.
I'll run the damn camera..AND babysit Harrison!!
lol
Old 11-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #13
jj

"at the pub jam we'll see many familiar faces and a few new ones as well which is always refreshing"

this thread sure has taken an undesirable turn, lol...i'd look forward to seeing those NEW faces as well as the seasoned performers (you know, the charismatic type) once again doing their bits...mando, i recall my fave moment last jam was when Not Supposed to Care was being performed up there by the gang, not sure if it was John or Ron singing but really lovely

it's been years since we rapped, deb...atleast you've been able to take in a few treasured shows along the tour and had mini Gordfests...you and others will be there in spirit..heck, i sure hope i can get to the pub before pack up...anything on Saturday aft or is it just ad lib free for all time?

btw, one day i'd love to see and hear MN sharron and paul sing a duet at McVeigh's...it would bring an Ian and Sylvia coffee house revival moment

char, can you bring along the heintzman or would they charge you an extra fare on the GO?

ron, i caught all the word play...so clever, nothing gets by, eh
Old 11-11-2009, 11:06 AM   #14
charlene

If I thought you'd play it I'd get it there somehow!
lol
Old 11-11-2009, 10:43 PM   #15
lighthead2toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G. View Post
I'd like to put in a request for "All the Lovely Ladies." A great tune that's not often played.
A very sweet smooth flowing tune it really is TG and yes, we don't often hear that one played. It's another tune that's in the "re learning file" but we'll give it our best shot.

Maybe we'll find someone who has it fresh. Many of the folks who are big into the tunes sometimes surprise us when they pull out one of their favs, as was in the case of JJ last time with "You'll Still Be Needing Me."

Requests are coming in from all corners. Some even from folks who are regulars in the pub who just happened to be there last time.

Sure is gearing up to be a real fun gig.

Stay loose,

RJ.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #16
mandoann

Quote:
But Ann, I should tell you that I always thought the lyric from "Minstrel of the Dawn" (If you meet him you will be a victim of his minstrelsy) that you chose to sign off with in your posts was quite tasteful, so I would like to dedicate that song to you at the pub jam.
It's a tune that I had to "re learn" from the early years, but always loved the song and became more drawn to it when I discovered in a July 10, 2008 "Globe and Mail" article written by Colleen Elltoft, Red Shea's daughter. In this article, pertaining to the passing of her father she says that: "Gordon wrote a song "Minstrel of the Dawn" that was inspired by Red. I believe it captured the playful life that my father possessed."

And of course having connected with John Stinson and Paul Bartlett, both students of the master, and will be joining us at the pub jam, "Minstrel of the Dawn" is now a very special song for me.

So guys and gals who are into this one, the capo will be on the second fret in the "D" position (key is "E"), so let's make this baby roll!

We'll try and get into things more happy than blue.

Cheers, RJ.
sorry to take so long to reply - all excited getting ready! thanks for the background on Minstrel, makes the song even more special to me. My tag was first "a willing victim...", then when I met him it became what it is now. I've been hoping for the next part: "he'll play for you a song", so it sounds like I'll get my wish!!

Two more sleeps - one on the plane...

See you Thursday, or maybe Wednesday?

Take care,

- if you meet him you will be/ the victim of his minstrelsy/ he'll sing for you a song

"You could wrap me around your finger"
mandoann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:07 PM   #18
podunklander

Quote:
A very sweet smooth flowing tune it really is TG and yes, we don't often hear that one played. It's another tune that's in the "re learning file" but we'll give it our best shot.

Maybe we'll find someone who has it fresh. Many of the folks who are big into the tunes sometimes surprise us when they pull out one of their favs, as was in the case of JJ last time with "You'll Still Be Needing Me."

Requests are coming in from all corners. Some even from folks who are regulars in the pub who just happened to be there last time.

Sure is gearing up to be a real fun gig.

Stay loose,

RJ.
Sorry we're going to miss the jams!!! We're just making a quick trip up and back and are only going to have less than an hour to tour TO before heading back home Sun . My son would have really enjoyed the jams and spending more time doing things on his 1st visit to TO... in addition to getting to see Gordon and the band in concert for the 1st time!

Looking forward to the jam vids and if possible, would appreciate "Crossroads"

Have FUN
Old 11-19-2009, 11:01 PM   #19
Oh, Linda

Hi everyone! Looking forward to making the drive up to Toronto tomorrow night for the Sat concert. Especially looking forward to meeting those of you who'll be there too!
Oh, Linda is offline   Reply With Quote