banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 04-30-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
Kelly Davis

Default How do you 'prepare'?

This may be a topic which has been discussed in past threads.

We all know that feeling of anticipation that comes when you first order your Gord tickets for the next concert.

How do you Coridians 'prepare' yourself mentally?

I usually pick out the next album (l.p. / c.d. / poster) I want to have signed if I'm lucky enough to catch the guys after the show.

On the morning of the concert I wake up the house by playing a Gord album (usually quite loudly). We have a special breakfast and make sure we have all of our tools for the evening
(clipboard for setlist, Mentos candy(it's a tradition), and as stated earlier, the next album to have signed.

The answers from you all should be interesting to read.

If this sounds a little strange, it's because I'm a 'Gord-Geek'. No apologies!!!!!!!
Kelly Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
jj

Default Re: How do you 'prepare'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Davis View Post
On the morning of the concert I wake up the house by playing a Gord album (usually quite loudly)!
opposite here...first, i try not to play any music or listen to any radio as i want the first stuff i hear to be gord live...it's like a silent day retreat prep

i also take in as much silence as possible during the day of so that gord's live decibel level will blow me away (relatively speaking) when he breaks into Triangle or whatever

if i'm aware he has added a tune to the setlist rotation then i will refamiliarize myself with it in the weeks leading up...not an issue these days
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
talbot10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Davis View Post
This may be a topic which has been discussed in past threads.

We all know that feeling of anticipation that comes when you first order your Gord tickets for the next concert.

How do you Coridians 'prepare' yourself mentally?

I usually pick out the next album (l.p. / c.d. / poster) I want to have signed if I'm lucky enough to catch the guys after the show.

On the morning of the concert I wake up the house by playing a Gord album (usually quite loudly). We have a special breakfast and make sure we have all of our tools for the evening
(clipboard for setlist, Mentos candy(it's a tradition), and as stated earlier, the next album to have signed.

The answers from you all should be interesting to read.

If this sounds a little strange, it's because I'm a 'Gord-Geek'. No apologies!!!!!!!
I get half lit on red wine usually Kelly
bill
Old 04-30-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
Moosedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbot10 View Post
bill
Why only "half", Bill? LOL
Moosedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
charlene

I'm like JJ - no music for several days.
If I remember I'll grab something for an autograph. Pack the pen and paper for setlist..camera with batteries.
Do weightlifting so I can hold Billyboy upright..
lol
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
RM

Knowing that I will be amidst a group that looks "nursing home ready" (not me, everybody else), I usually review the latest CPR techniques.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:44 PM   #7
Borderstone

If it's weeks before the show,I make sured to get that whole day off and also from that moment listen to no GL at all until then.

I also choose in advance exacly what I'll wear. Why? Why not?
Old 04-30-2009, 04:05 PM   #8
Peter Bro10

Whatever I do, I make sure I know how to get to the venue...early.
Oh, and don't forget these pesky tickets...not going to "enjoy" the show without them!
And since I can't use bill's technique, I try to stay loose 'naturally'... (i.e. leave your cares behind).

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:31 PM   #9
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
Knowing that I will be amidst a group that looks "nursing home ready" (not me, everybody else), I usually review the latest CPR techniques.
I'm 'up' with the CPR due to the daycare job so I'm good to go with it if you're not around..
Old 04-30-2009, 07:20 PM   #10
Dave, Melbourne,Australia

After booking the ticket (via my friend in Milwaukee), my first 'preparation' was to arrange the flight from Australia. On the day of the concert (30Mar2008), I spent the morning marvelling at the ice around my hosts' house and neighbourhood. We built a snowman and photographed it wearing my swagman hat. A squirrel passed through trees 10 metres from me, but I just missed the photo. We shopped at the local supermarket and I was surprised to see yoghurt-coated pretzels, mocha almonds, cinnamon almonds, hickory almonds, jalopeno Pringles, guacamole Pringles, an enormous range of cooked popcorn and half an aisle of Australian wine! We left Milwaukee around 2pm, drove 160Km (100 miles) north to Appleton and had dinner at a restaurant across from the concert venue. With hindsight, the only extra preparation I could have used was packing binoculars for a better view from the back row of Dress Circle 2.
Dave, Melbourne,Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:36 PM   #11
Dream Street Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderstone View Post
If it's weeks before the show,I make sured to get that whole day off and also from that moment listen to no GL at all until then.

I also choose in advance exacly what I'll wear. Why? Why not?
I do the same thing and more.

DSR
Old 05-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #12
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbot10 View Post
bill
Yup, I can attest to that.
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #13
Moosedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by podunklander View Post
yeah 1/2 lit before the concert and had to get him all the way lit so he'd pose for a pic with me after!!!
LMAO - me too!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VickieBillManistee.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	2676  
Old 05-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #14
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosedog View Post
LMAO - me too!
LMAO Vickie!!

Hey - that's a great pic!!! And now I'm also suspicious of Bill's choice of colors for his shirts at the concerts . A little red wine spill could go unnoticed
Old 05-01-2009, 04:10 PM   #15
Moosedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by podunklander View Post
LMAO Vickie!!

Hey - that's a great pic!!! And now I'm also suspicious of Bill's choice of colors for his shirts at the concerts . A little red wine spill could go unnoticed
Bill never spills a drop. LMAO
Old 05-01-2009, 04:25 PM   #16
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosedog View Post
Bill never spills a drop. LMAO
Bill would consider that very wasteful..
Old 05-02-2009, 10:11 PM   #17
timetraveler

I don't really think that there's anyway for a person to really be prepared, come to think of it. If I were to ever be so lucky as to be able to actually get to meet The Man himself, I would hope that I would have the sense that God gave a Christmas goose & have a friend with me to take several pictures of me shaking hands with him at least.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:38 PM   #18
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Well I'm in the "no Gord music" category. At least for a few days before the show. I don't want to fall into the 'that doesn't sound like 1972' trap. I usually try and run at least 5 miles the day of the show so I'm mellow. And then I try and find my good luck shirt, which hopefully I've had done at the dry cleaners on time. Oh and a fairly huge meal about an hour before the show - then I'm set, LOL.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:06 PM   #19
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLW View Post
Well I'm in the "no Gord music" category. At least for a few days before the show. I don't want to fall into the 'that doesn't sound like 1972' trap. I usually try and run at least 5 miles the day of the show so I'm mellow. And then I try and find my good luck shirt, which hopefully I've had done at the dry cleaners on time. Oh and a fairly huge meal about an hour before the show - then I'm set, LOL.

Bill
you forgot about 'tarting up' time..
Old 05-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #20
Oh, Linda

Last Setember when I attended the Kalamazoo show, I had a long drive ahead of me so I packed up an assortment of Gord CD's and played them all the way there. And then all the way back the next morning. I did arrive very early, by several hours for the Saturday night show, so I could check in to my hotel and grab a bite to eat. Matter of fact, the venue was on the way to the hotel, so I swung by first and there was a lot of activity going on. Because I was early I watched people going in and out of the big rig, the motor home, the back stage door, etc. I didn't stay long but I did return to the venue early, playing more Gord music en route to the venue. I packed a notepad to record the events of the day and the song list. Forgot the mini lite so I had to write in the dark. I brought along a few things for him to sign if I was fortunate enough to meet him, which I was. Lucky me! Other than that, the hardest part was trying to control my nerves while waiting to meet him at the end of the show. It was impossible since it was my first time meeting him. But he could not have been more gracious. So for me, Gord music all the way!
Oh, Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:23 AM   #21
formerlylavender

I do the Gord music the whole day too - definitely the ride up and back. I try not to listen to the ones that I know he'll do in concert though. I know I'm going to hear them later anyway. The wardrobe is important, and I decide either the night before or that morning. It's a generally excited/anxious feeling all day watiting to leave. Also the time goes REALLY slow before the show and then flies during and after.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote