banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 10-19-2003, 10:41 AM   #1
SeattleRain

Whilst bouncing around an airport a couple of weeks ago, (Waiting to fly out to a beautiful Greek island, Paxos,) I trawled through the magazine racks and came across a new publication.

"The Definitive Guide To Rock's Ultimate Icons" Uncut Legends #1. The first issue is devoted to Bob Dylan. A little less than 150 pages. Being a Dylan fan, I bought it. A great read, apart from one nasty little sentence.

On page 46 under the heading 'Demolition Man' one Nigel Williamson, is assessing Dylans 1970 album 'Self Portrait' He asks,

What was this songwriting genius doing crooning songs by pale imitators such as Paul Simon and Gordon Lightfoot?

I have to say to Mr Williamson, if you see me on the street, you would be wise to cross to the other side
SeattleRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 10:41 AM   #2
Jim Nasium

Whilst bouncing around an airport a couple of weeks ago, (Waiting to fly out to a beautiful Greek island, Paxos,) I trawled through the magazine racks and came across a new publication.

"The Definitive Guide To Rock's Ultimate Icons" Uncut Legends #1. The first issue is devoted to Bob Dylan. A little less than 150 pages. Being a Dylan fan, I bought it. A great read, apart from one nasty little sentence.

On page 46 under the heading 'Demolition Man' one Nigel Williamson, is assessing Dylans 1970 album 'Self Portrait' He asks,

What was this songwriting genius doing crooning songs by pale imitators such as Paul Simon and Gordon Lightfoot?

I have to say to Mr Williamson, if you see me on the street, you would be wise to cross to the other side
Jim Nasium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 11:45 AM   #3
muklucannie

and pop him one for me!
lol
char
muklucannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 11:45 AM   #4
Char1

and pop him one for me!
lol
char
Char1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 01:24 PM   #5
SilverHeels

Smack him on the nose for me!
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 02:56 PM   #6
joveski

"What was this songwriting genius doing crooning songs by pale imitators such as Paul Simon and Gordon Lightfoot?"

ah, the usual Self Portrait bashing. bob is my musical first love and this album is loved by 95% of bobcats. he does a great job on the crooning. early morning rain is one of his best ever vocals in the studio and he did a few really good versions in 1991 which normally wasn't a good year for him on stage. erratic alcolhol-indiced performances!

self portrait has a lot of highlights including early morning rain, the boxer, little sadie, take a message to mary, and wigwam (!)
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 05:59 PM   #7
TheWatchman

I'll skin him and tan his hide! Just joking.

Bob Dylan is unbelievable! What a talented writer, musician and singer!

Mende, I just picked up "Infidels" and love it. "Union Sundown" rocks about as much as anything I have ever heard.

By the way, another musical genus in the same league as Lightfoot and Dylan is Mark Knopfler. He played guitar on Dylan's "Infidels" LP. I was pleasantly surprised to see that in the liner notes because I have been listening to Knopfler's latest CD, "The Ragpicker's Dream" and it is fantastic. If you love Lightfoot, you will LOVE Knopfler. The above CD is folkish with a Geordie edge. Great stuff.

Yes, I strayed from Lightfoot, so sue me.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 06:37 PM   #8
SomewhereupinMichigan

Just for those who may not be familiar with Mark Knopfler...he was the driving force behind the band "Dire Straits"...this may help to identify his style for those uniniated.
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 07:01 PM   #9
Brian 57

And one of Mark Knopfler's biggest influences was Chet Atkins. A lot of his guitar licks are reminiscent of Chet, even though Dire Straits is a rock n' roll band.

[This message has been edited by Brian 57 (edited October 19, 2003).]
Brian 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 07:16 PM   #10
TheWatchman

quote:Originally posted by Brian 57:
And one of Mark Knopfler's biggest influences was Chet Atkins.

His CD with Atkins is next on my list to buy. He was the lead singer, guitarist and songwriter for Dire Straits. Good move going solo! Once you hear his voice and guitar, you will know exactly who he is.

Brian, do you have "Sailing To Philadelphia" and "The Ragpicker's Dream"? If so, what do you think of them? I have his debut solo CD, "Golden Heart" and although it hasn't gotten much play time, I just can't get into it as much. The 2 latest CD's are truly a musical genius at work. He is what I call a "smart musician", just as Lightfoot is. He really thinks about each note that is played, and more importantly which notes are not played. I borrowed that concept from Barry Keane from an interview.

Oh yeah, edited for spelling only. In no way shape or form did I edit the meaning of anything or delete any words.

[This message has been edited by TheWatchman (edited October 19, 2003).]
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 07:34 PM   #11
Borderstone

Tie Mr. Williamson to a chair and make him listen to Gordon's entire catalouge!

Where can I write to this poor excuse for a low I.Q. ?

------------------
Borderstone - AZ's answer to GL! (but what was the question?)
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 03:05 PM   #12
joveski

watchman,

infidels is a great one. very polished although bob wasn't happy with what mark did to it. mark did some remixing on it behind bobs back. union sundown is a good one. other great tunes are Jokerman, license to kill and Man of peace.

it's one of my favourite dylan albums
Old 10-20-2003, 05:09 PM   #13
joveski

>Mr. W, go crawl under a rock!

or in Bob Dylan terms, "Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window?"
Old 10-20-2003, 09:12 PM   #14
TheCromulentChipster

I agree with everybody here except Mr. Williams. He obviously hasn't heard much of Gord except the hits, but that still makes no sense because I'm now convinced that Fitz is the greatest song ever written. No other song takes me right out of my life and injects me into its story as that one does. That aside, I love Dylan and listen to him often, but Gord was at least as talented, if not more. Simon is no chopped liver, either, numb nuts.
TheCromulentChipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 09:12 PM   #15
Big Blue

I agree with everybody here except Mr. Williams. He obviously hasn't heard much of Gord except the hits, but that still makes no sense because I'm now convinced that Fitz is the greatest song ever written. No other song takes me right out of my life and injects me into its story as that one does. That aside, I love Dylan and listen to him often, but Gord was at least as talented, if not more. Simon is no chopped liver, either, numb nuts.
Big Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 10:56 PM   #16
Shane

oooooooo

A totally untrue statement. But, even if it were true; hasn't Dylan done his share of imitating?

Dylan, Lightfoot and Simon are all extremely talented songwriters. Where does this guy get off making such absurd statements.

[This message has been edited by Scott Mac (edited October 20, 2003).]
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 10:56 PM   #17
Scott Mac

oooooooo

A totally untrue statement. But, even if it were true; hasn't Dylan done his share of imitating?

Dylan, Lightfoot and Simon are all extremely talented songwriters. Where does this guy get off making such absurd statements.

[This message has been edited by Scott Mac (edited October 20, 2003).]
Scott Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 02:46 PM   #18
fowlesjohn

well, I guess everyone is entitled to there opinion and like a**holes everybody has one some just smell more repulsive than others. I was in Canada this summer and reading some dreadful local paper talking about Dylans' copious copying and altering of other musicians music. If one considers the source of these editorial works, then, things become more easily understood. And so, we should not consider too harshly these items that have been flung to the far corners of the known (even if only remotely) world. We have our own world to live, let's just be comfortable here (stress kills).

[This message has been edited by gwen snyder (edited October 21, 2003).]
fowlesjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 02:46 PM   #19
gwen snyder

well, I guess everyone is entitled to there opinion and like a**holes everybody has one some just smell more repulsive than others. I was in Canada this summer and reading some dreadful local paper talking about Dylans' copious copying and altering of other musicians music. If one considers the source of these editorial works, then, things become more easily understood. And so, we should not consider too harshly these items that have been flung to the far corners of the known (even if only remotely) world. We have our own world to live, let's just be comfortable here (stress kills).

[This message has been edited by gwen snyder (edited October 21, 2003).]
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 06:48 PM   #20
SomewhereupinMichigan

Watchman: Though you posed the question to Brian I suppose I may reply...I have both Knopfler's "The Ragpicker's Dream" and "Sailing to Philly" and I highly recommend both CDs.
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 07:44 PM   #21
Borderstone

One last thing I'll say is,if that nitwit knew anything about music or GL,he'd know that Gord has never tried to be a copycat Bob Dylan and that Gordon is just an admirer (not to mention a close friend of) Mr. Dylan. They both admire and respect each other's work and certainly neither could ever be like the other. "End of my story." Later!
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote