banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 06-23-2020, 02:25 PM   #1
charlene

Default VIRTUAL Mariposa 2020

For the first time in its 60-year history, Mariposa will be hosting a free online concert series over the coming months called Mariposa Virtual Stage. Episode 1, hosted by CBC Radio One’s The Next Chapter Producer and Host Shelagh Rogers, will launch Sunday, June 28 at 8:00pm EST, with an online watch party on Mariposa’s Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/MariposaFolkFestivalOfficial). For those who miss the launch event, the concert will also be available on Mariposa’s newly designed website at: www.mariposafolk.com.

Episode 1 is a 20-minute video, paying homage to folk legend and Mariposa veteran Gordon Lightfoot. Audiences will get the opportunity to listen to an unreleased recording of Lightfoot’s 1964 Mariposa performance of ‘Early Morning Rain’. The second part of Episode 1 features Canadian acoustic-folk duo Dala. The Juno nominees bring a fresh sound of acoustic pop and will pay tribute to the folk legend by performing their rendition of ‘If You Could Read My Mind’.

Unlike any other online concert, Mariposa Virtual Stage will combine contemporary performances with never before seen archival recordings and materials. Each Episode will consist of short pre-recorded online performances, with contemporary performers paying tribute to some of the folk legends who graced the Mariposa stage over the years. The Mariposa Virtual Stage will also host one longer concert, which will feature special headliners and a Mariposa-inspired workshop.

With Mariposa Virtual Stage, we want to kick-start the 60th anniversary celebration which will continue next summer in 2021. Mariposa Virtual Stage will be another example of remaining true to our roots - for generations to come”.

Audiences are encouraged to share their music-viewing experience using the hashtag #MariposaVirtualStage on social media.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:43 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: VIRTUAL Mariposa 2020

VIDEO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_co...A3ZR3oS3u-Coac
Old 06-29-2020, 06:56 AM   #3
paskatefan

Oh, this is great! "Saved" to my Youtube favorites! Thanks, Char.

Gail
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:41 PM   #4
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

All very interesting but w hilst it was great to hear an early (claimed to be from 1964) recording of EMR with Gord's voice featuring a definite "rasp", as I watched the footage of the trio I could not help thinking that I had seen it before and true enough the stage lighting is manifestly the very same as the BBC used 5 years later for Gord's appearance on their Rolf Harris show, which I very much doubt they specially imported from Canada!
To make my point here is a sample screenshot made from the alleged Mariposa performance that is claimed to be from 1964 on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txSX1-IqIPA

compare that with a screenshot made from the BBC video at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFJ5Bj_put0

Furthermore a quick scrut told me that the young fellow on the right playing a bass guitar looks remarkably like a young Richard Dutkiewicz yet Rick did not until 1969 replace John Stockfish (who had apparently joined the orchestra in 1965} at which time he presumably replaced Paul Wideman, who I see nevertheless played bass in a concert in Ottawa on January 27, 1966 but I could not find when Paul had joined so he may well have been on the 1964 Mariposa recording but most certainly it was not Rick.

Last edited by johnfowles; 07-01-2020 at 02:48 PM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:54 PM   #5
charlene

I have no idea what you are going on about John.
The recording is from 1964.
Images in the video are a compilation of clips over time.
No mention that Rick was in the 1964 AUDIO from Mariposa that year.