banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2004, 03:23 AM   #1
Doug Letcher

I know everyone is a buzz over Gord's new album, but I have a question for those out there who knows more about the man than I do.
How important do think it was for him to make
it in the U.S? The reason I ask is because I recently watched a documentary on Canadian artists and that was in fact the topic. Artists such as the Guess Who, Bryan Adams,
Celine Dion, Anne Murray, Shania Twain, Nickleback, and Rush all hinted that it was almost imperative to make it big in the U.S and the U.K to be considered succesful, where artists such as Corey Hart,the Tragically Hip, Tom Cocharin, Avril
Lavigne and Paul Anka basically said the
opposite. I wonder where Gordon stood early in his career being "so Canadian". I for one feel that although it is possible to become
a famous millionaire musician in this country, you probably have to at least scrape
american radio to truly be noticed, but what do I know! Any thoughts?
Doug Letcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 03:52 AM   #2
Char1

I don't think it was all that important for him to be a star in the U.S. - that's why he's stayed here at home all of his life. Fame came to him in the U.S. to a degree but he's always been about the music and the performing for the fans.....and he feels most comfortable here in Canada and specifically in Toronto. That was very apparent in the coverage of him at the CD launch at The House of Gord - Massey Hall.
Char
Char1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 05:42 AM   #3
Borderstone

Most artisits from other countries could tell you how important it is to breakthrough in the U.S. If an artist wants to be recognized world-wide,making it in the U.S. is almost a priority. Americans tend to be fussy about their music like kids are fussy about eating vegetables!

In Gord's case,it was most likely at one time very important. That being when he was trying to get his music out thee on UA records and then maybe the his first few years at WB/Reprise.

After releasing all those LPs in the 70s though,I'm sure it wasn't as important,for as we've said on here before,he wouldn't play the "fame-game" that most artists do.
Having some hits here was a good thing but the unfortunate fickleness of the U.S. music scene took away his popularity almost as fast as it had given it to him.

In a strange way,I'm sure it was a great relief to him not to have to put out something every year anymore. That's a lot of work (especially after your label & the folks at radio aren't behind you 100% anymore.) I hear he's still very popular in other countries but,still it would be a sweet victory if Harmony actually sold enough to be on the Billboard Top 200 album chart. Aurevoir!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote